нет

Results
Polls

Votes: 764
Comments: 7

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Toonami Infolink: Forums

Toonami Infolink :: View topic - Should Disney go for it?
Toonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerLToonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerL
:: Home :: Forum FAQ :: Search :: TDA Chat Room :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
Should Disney go for it?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Animation Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should Disney Merge with Comcast?
Yes
28%
 28%  [ 2 ]
No
71%
 71%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 7

ToonamiL

Veteran

Post subject: Should Disney go for it?
This is somewhat good news for Disney. Their stocks went down when Roy Disney left....and when they shut down their 2D Division....and when Pixar ended their deal. Now, my question is do you think Disney should merge with Comcast for $66 Billion?
PostWed Feb 11, 2004 2:42 pm
FinalDivineDragoon

Obsessor

Post subject:
I'm not sure if that is good or bad. All I can say is that it's gonna be an interesting year for Disney.
PostWed Feb 11, 2004 5:58 pm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Fodder

Obsessor

Post subject:
Damn i posted this topic over in the animation section. For those with power can you delete it for me. And we will talk about it here.

Ok im from the philadelphia region. This is where comcast is headquatered at. Not a single one of us would have thought comcast was that big or had the money for this. Disney looks bad right now with Eisner as well as the problems with Pixar. Comcast's officers couldnt have timed this better there open for a takeover. But Disney always seemed above this type of stuff.
PostWed Feb 11, 2004 7:30 pm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Irkan_Warrior

Frequenter

Post subject:
Somrthing tells me they will. What will come of it is unforeseeable
PostWed Feb 11, 2004 8:14 pm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Daikun

Obsessor

Post subject:
I'm not sure what to think of this news. Confused I'm not familiar with Comcast's policies, since they're not my cable provider (I have Cox and live on the other side of the country), so I'm not sure how they'll handle the Magic Kingdom.

I like the irony in the air, though. The Mouse House has been buying out oodles of companies over the years, and now someone is buying THEM. Twisted Evil Sweet vengeance.
PostWed Feb 11, 2004 8:36 pm
Nobuyuki

Obsessor

Post subject:
Fodder wrote:
Not a single one of us would have thought comcast was that big or had the money for this.

Realistically, they aren't and they don't. It's a classic '80s style leveraged buyout via stock swapping, which in the past has brought us such wonderful companies as RJR-Nabisco and AOL-TimeWarner. Razz
But after looking at Comcast's letter to the Disney stockholders and reading some analysts' opinions, I can see how Disney's stockholders could be enticed to approve this deal, especially when coupled to the Disney/Microsoft deal from a couple of days ago. ph33r for your cable bills.
PostWed Feb 11, 2004 9:48 pm
Fodder

Obsessor

Post subject:
Cable?! Im sorry thats some antique means of TV isnt it? I have DirecTV for the TV and DSL for my internet access. Im not even plugged into the cable line feeding from the pole anymore. I cut myself off completly from it. No regrets.
PostWed Feb 11, 2004 10:21 pm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Andromaton

Obsessor

Post subject:
Taking Disney and making a subsidiary is EVERYTHING Walt didn't want. (As I posted, Eisner at least did one thing right). Before the offer Eisner was everything, but to utterly lose conrtol, never. Even if Comcast has full intentions of returning Disney to its former glory I believe it needs to happen from within, not without.
PostWed Feb 11, 2004 10:24 pm
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nobuyuki

Obsessor

Post subject:
Fodder wrote:
Cable?! Im sorry thats some antique means of TV isnt it? I have DirecTV for the TV and DSL for my internet access. Im not even plugged into the cable line feeding from the pole anymore. I cut myself off completly from it. No regrets.

Lucky. All I can get is an analog phone line and electricity that works about 90% of the time, except on windy days (and rainy days, and snowy days, and...).

Andromaton wrote:
Taking Disney and making a subsidiary is EVERYTHING Walt didn't want. (As I posted, Eisner at least did one thing right). Before the offer Eisner was everything, but to utterly lose conrtol, never. Even if Comcast has full intentions of returning Disney to its former glory I believe it needs to happen from within, not without.

I agree completely.
PostWed Feb 11, 2004 10:52 pm
Nobuyuki

Obsessor

Post subject:
It's fun watching from the sidelines and playing armchair corporate raider...today's news analysis from [url]cbs.marketwatch.com/[/url]:

Quote:
NEW YORK (CBS.MW) -- Wall Street has hit on a surefire way for Walt Disney to fight Comcast's stunning $66 billion hostile takeover offer: Turn the tables.

Disney could buy time and possibly slam its Philadelphia-based M&A adversary against the wall by making a bid to take over Comcast.

Investors have speculated that Disney might seek to find a "white knight" -- a suitor of its own choosing -- to thwart its foe and regain control of its own destiny.

"It's a possibility that investors need to consider because the white knight might be themselves," Angela Kohler, the global media analyst at Federated Investors in Pittsburgh.

"Disney is going to consider every option," Kohler said.

Disney Chairman Michael Eisner has said his company, whose assets include ESPN, ABC, movie divisions and a slew of theme parks, will carefully consider the Comcast bid.

More likely, Eisner will explore every possibility to keep independent the company he has led for two decades.

Eisner's desire to keep Disney independent is well-known. Immediately after America Online and Time Warner announced their plans to merge in January 2000 -- a deal that came on the heels of Viacom's move to buy CBS, introducing a wave of merger mania in the media business -- Eisner went on record as saying that Disney would remain independent.

Money managers suggest that Eisner is so eager to thwart Comcast that he would entertain extraordinary tactics -- perhaps even employing the "scorched earth" strategy of damaging valuable property that the other side would have hoped to seize.

"Is it possible that they would do a reverse on Comcast? Of course, it's possible," said Michael Holland, president of New York money management firm Holland & Co.

"The price that Disney would have to pay [to acquire Comcast] would be outrageously high," Holland said. "The shareholders would launch a massive revolt if they thought the management of Disney was doing something at the transparent expense of the shareholders.

"At the end of day, corporate financial trickery ... is very transparent," Holland said. "The media glare is going to limit Eisner's options. Ultimately, the options for this guy are pretty limited. He is confined to doing things that have to create shareholder wealth."

Holland said he doesn't expect Comcast CEO Brian Roberts to be discouraged when Disney tries to fight off its offer. He pointed to Comcast's acquisition of AT&T's broadband business as an example of Comcast's toughness in takeover battles.

"The AT&T deal showed that Roberts is capable of playing in the big leagues," Holland said. "The gravitas he shows is something that investors have taken note of. Right now, the nod goes to Brian Roberts."

Disney's stock was down 85 cents at $27.15 in afternoon trading Friday, following a sharp rise over the two previous trading sessions.

Jon Friedman is media editor for CBS.MarketWatch.com in New York.

PostFri Feb 13, 2004 4:38 pm
ToonamiL

Veteran

Post subject:
Andromaton wrote:

What didn't Walt want Quality more than Quantity? Fact is, Disney is everything Walt didn't want.

[edit]Also, I've found this article on Disney World that tells us how much Walt Disney's vision is nothing.

Quote:
Citing
abuse of the previous system as the reason for the limitation, in December 2003 Disneyland decided to curtail the provision of its Special Assistance Passes. Under the old system, special assistance passes were available to most park guests who asked for them, with those chits entitling holders and their immediate parties to be placed on rides ahead of other guests. As we verified with a Disneyland Guest Services representative in February 2004, a new program to assist the disabled is in the works, but it won't be unveiled until April or May. In the meantime, Special Assistance Passes are no longer available to anyone, whether the guest's need for such a pass stems from a condition apparent to the naked eye or not. Lest anyone still think this curtailment pertains only to some classes of special needs guests, we specifically asked about those who have mobility problems and were told the passes no longer exist even for them.
PostFri Feb 13, 2004 8:26 pm
Nobuyuki

Obsessor

Post subject:
Disney rejects offer from Comcast Corp.

Board expresses confidence in Eisner's leadership
The Associated Press
Updated: 9:47 p.m. ET Feb. 16, 2004 (LOS ANGELES) - The board of directors for The Walt Disney Company on Monday rejected a takeover bid by cable television giant Comcast Corp., officials said. The board noted that the current amount to acquire Disney by swapping shares of both companies would undervalue Disney's holdings.

"We are committed to creating shareholder value now and in the future and will carefully consider any legitimate proposal that would accomplish that objective," a statement released Monday by the Disney board read.

"In any proposal by Comcast, or any other company, the board will consider and assess the value to be received in exchange for the shares of Disney, and also the appropriate premium to reflect the full value of Disney.

The statement added that the board "has confidence in the business, financial and creative direction of Disney under the leadership of Michael Eisner and his management team."

Not surprised. That was a low-ball offer from Comcast, anyway.

The following statement was issued today by The Walt Disney Company Board of Directors:
Quote:
The Board of Directors of The Walt Disney Company today unanimously rejected the proposal by Comcast Corporation to acquire Disney by trading .78 of a share of Comcast for each share of Disney. The Board noted that .78 of a share of Comcast is selling in the market for $3.60 less than the market price of a share of Disney. This deficit of value in the Comcast proposal has existed from the very first day after Comcast announced it, when the deficit was $3.24 per Disney share or a total of $6.6 billion.
The Board stated, "We are committed to creating shareholder value now and in the future and will carefully consider any legitimate proposal that would accomplish that objective. In any proposal by Comcast, or any other company, the Board will consider and assess the value to be received in exchange for the shares of Disney, and also the appropriate premium to reflect the full value of Disney. The Board has confidence in the business, financial and creative direction of Disney under the leadership of Michael Eisner and his management team. Furthermore, the Board expects the company's current structure and strategy will maximize shareholder value. The interests of Disney shareholders, which represent the fundamental priority of the Board, would not be served by accepting any acquisition proposal that does not reflect fully Disney's intrinsic value and earnings prospects."

Comcast Corporation today issued the following statement in response to the Walt Disney Company's rejection of Comcast's offer to acquire Disney:
Quote:
Our proposal to acquire The Walt Disney Company reflects a full and generous valuation based upon Disney's prospects and performance over a long period of time, representing a significant premium over Disney's unaffected share price during any relevant measurement period over the last three years. We maintain the belief that our merger proposal represents a sound and compelling proposition for both sets of shareholders.

PostMon Feb 16, 2004 10:11 pm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Animation Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: