нет

Results
Polls

Votes: 764
Comments: 7

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Toonami Infolink: Forums

Toonami Infolink :: View topic - Stuper-Geek.. I mean Anime Glossary/Vocab...whatever
Toonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerLToonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerL
:: Home :: Forum FAQ :: Search :: TDA Chat Room :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
Stuper-Geek.. I mean Anime Glossary/Vocab...whatever
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Mindless/Worthless Drivel
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ludwika

Frequenter

Post subject:
to much time spending it recollecting ... but JP, half those meanings I had no idea what it meant and distinction with it.
PostThu Jan 09, 2003 2:32 am
Zechs

Obsessor

Post subject:
I knew them except maybe one or two like Uke, and that's just after a little more than three years ^_^
PostThu Jan 09, 2003 2:13 pm
JohnnyPsycho

Veteran

Post subject:
I looked up the definition of "Yaoi" a long time ago because I had no idea what it meant, and I seem to be the only person who realizes that it means something more than just "boy/boy action"... *LOL* Twisted Evil

Other than that, the rest of it just kind of came organically... believe me, I've seen a lot of anime, and I can't even remember half of the titles I've seen over the years... plus, being surrounded by people who are even more obsessed with anime than myself helps as well.. Wink

"I plan to live forever. So far so good." -Steven Wright
PostThu Jan 09, 2003 9:32 pm
counterparadox

Obsessor

Post subject:
Ha! You all missed one!

Zoid - A mech shaped after an animal, rather than a human.

Alright, so it's pretty obvious. But you still missed it . . .

Play City of Heroes/Villians? Look me up, Pinnacle server, @C Paradox
PostFri Jan 10, 2003 6:17 pm
JohnnyPsycho

Veteran

Post subject:
*sigh* that was so lame, but I guess if we're going to play this little game...

Mobile Suit - a humanoid fighting machine; not a true robot because it requires one or more human pilot. Popularized by the show "Mobile Suit Gundam", and often abbreviated as "MS". Sometimes also refered to as "Mobile Armor", though this more often indicates much smaller mechanical "shells", such as those used in the "Bubblegum Crisis" series

and a couple others I just thought of...

Bento - a Japanese boxed lunch, usually served cold and in a very visually appealing manner

Facefault/Face-plant - a common slapstick gag in most Japanese comics, usually done in response to somebody else saying something surprising, stupid, or surprisingly stupid

Gachapon Toy - little plastic collectible toys often found in Japanese vending machines; sometimes a big collector's item

Henshin - a "transformation scene"; a scene where in the hero/heroine changes costume or completely metamorphosizes into their heroic counterpart, most popularly in shoujo shows like "Sailor Moon"

Interdimensional Hammer - also called the "Baka Hammer", refers to slapstick instances in anime where (usually female) characters suddenly pull a mallet or other large, blunt instruments of destruction out of nowhere (sometimes out of a pocket or from behind their back, and sometimes even just out of thin air) to inflict large amounts of pain upon the craniums of stupid (usually male) characters or anyone acting silly. Most likely borrowed from American cartoons such as Bugs Bunny or Screwball Squirrel.

Kaiju - a "monster beast", subject of the popular "Kaiju eiga (Monster Pictures)" genre of Japanese films. Godzilla and Gamera would be considered Kaiju. Different from "Yokai", which also means "monster", though refers to one of more supernatural, extraterrestrial, or extra-dimensional origin. King Ghidrah (Monster Zero) could be considered a "Yokai".

Nosebleed - from a Japanese old-wives' tale that says if a guy thinks perverted thoughts, he'll get a nosebleed. Commonly used in comedic anime moments where a male character starts to think naughty thoughts, catches a glimpse of a girl's panties, or accidentally catches a female character in the nude/semi-nude.

OST - "Original Soundtrack"; usually all of the songs of an anime production

Ronin - a masterless Samurai, usually depicted as a wandering, lone swordsman-for-hire; also used to refer to students who haven't passed thier university entrance exams

Sensei - term of respect, usually means "master" or "teacher", though often used in reference to doctors and lawyers as well. Can be used alone or as a suffix.

Sweatdrop - the giant water droplet that appears on characters' heads in anime, usually out of confusion, embarrassment, worry, etc.

Tenchi (Masaki) Syndrome - named for one of anime's biggest (and most unwilling) girl magnets, this syndrome simply makes the sufferer irresistible to women and completely removes his desire to be with them

UFO Catchers - Usually refers to small, super-deformed plush dolls of anime characters that are often found in Japanese crane-machine games; so called because these machines often had cranes that were shaped like little UFOs.

Yakuza - used to describe any sort of person who is a gangster or involved in organized crime; Japanese equivalent of "Mafia". Literally means "useless, good-for-nothing".

Yoma - demons or other supernatural entities of evil intent

Last edited by JohnnyPsycho on Mon Jan 13, 2003 5:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
PostMon Jan 13, 2003 5:38 pm
JohnnyPsycho

Veteran

Post subject:
Here's an anime pseudo-glossary that a friend of mine sent me the address to. Click here for W.A.D.D. Quite hilarious.

PostMon Jan 13, 2003 5:40 pm
stFalcon5

Frequenter

Post subject:
I've got a great idea. Instead of pretending to be cool and saying random Japanese phrases you happen to pick up while watching anime, go to Japan and learn the culture yourself. Baka.
PostMon Jan 13, 2003 5:49 pm
JohnnyPsycho

Veteran

Post subject:
stFalcon5 wrote:
I've got a great idea. Instead of pretending to be cool and saying random Japanese phrases you happen to pick up while watching anime, go to Japan and learn the culture yourself. Baka.

I never use random Japanese phrases in any of my everyday speech, though I know plenty of people who do, and yes, it is annoying. Especially when they use the word "baka" too much. Of course, then again, most of these people are also taking Japanese classes, so I guess it's really not that big a deal...

Of course, I do often use Italian, Hawaiian, and Potowatomi words in my everyday speech quite often, but that's just the way I was brought up.

Megwech...

PostMon Jan 13, 2003 5:54 pm
Spookmonkey

Obsessor

Post subject:
I've put this thread (and mostly due to Mr. Psycho, gracias senor) to good use. I bet you have an idea where.

He's better than Pop-Rocks!
PostTue Jan 14, 2003 3:20 am
JohnnyPsycho

Veteran

Post subject:
I'm gonna nit-pick Spook's glossary and add that "Ronin" also refers to modern-day students who have not passed their university entrance exams... other than that, Spooky's got a nice site going so far...

PostThu Jan 16, 2003 3:29 pm
Spookmonkey

Obsessor

Post subject:
yay! glad to here it and more than likely that little adendum won't be added in Razz

PostThu Jan 16, 2003 8:28 pm
JohnnyPsycho

Veteran

Post subject:
Laughing *LOL* Spoil sport! Just for that, I take back my compliment. Your website is a stupid doody-brained idea. Razz Twisted Evil

PostThu Jan 16, 2003 9:56 pm
Spookmonkey

Obsessor

Post subject:
noooooo.... what if I put your name on the anime glossery?

PostThu Jan 16, 2003 10:20 pm
JohnnyPsycho

Veteran

Post subject:
*LOL* i guess that'd be okay... but only if you put in this:

"Special thanks to JohnnyPsycho for contributing to much of the Anime glossary, and who wants to assure everyone that he is confident in his sexual prowess."

anything other than that and no deal...

Twisted Evil *LMAO*

PostThu Jan 16, 2003 10:29 pm
Spookmonkey

Obsessor

Post subject:
done and done, just gotta upload it, I'll end up doing that tommarow.

PostThu Jan 16, 2003 11:29 pm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Mindless/Worthless Drivel All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: