нет

Results
Polls

Votes: 764
Comments: 7

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Toonami Infolink: Forums

Toonami Infolink :: View topic - Fansubs? Good? Bad?
Toonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerLToonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerL
:: Home :: Forum FAQ :: Search :: TDA Chat Room :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
Fansubs? Good? Bad?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
endy

Post subject: Fansubs? Good? Bad?
I've realized alot of these people on these forums are against fansubs.. I dunno why really..

I mean it's free anime (well you gotta pay fora hard drive to put it in lol) And it's not always illegal. I mean I have Haibane Renmei eps, its not liscened so its not illegal O_o. Oh well I'd like to know your opinions.
PostTue Mar 25, 2003 9:15 pm
Cooolcorey

Frequenter

Post subject:
I personally hate fansubs because of several reasons.

The first being quality. Sure, some of them are OK, but you could be looking at something much more prettyfull if you buy the DVD or even the (gasp!) tape. Also, I'd rather watch on my 56" TV than on my 17" monitor.

Another reason is the sound. I like to hear the music on my nice entertainment system with surround sound than on my crappy stereo speakers on my computer.

The main reason though, is because I HATE reading subtitles. I'd rather understand what they're saying and watch the action on the TV than get headaches from listening to Japanese babble (hey, that's what it is to me...) and miss all of the action because I'm looking at blurry subtitles. Also I hate having to rewind the video because the subtitle only lasted 2.895 seconds and it had ten words in it.

The end.
PostTue Mar 25, 2003 9:58 pm
Nobuyuki

Obsessor

Post subject: Re: Fansubs? Good? Bad?
endy wrote:
I've realized alot of these people on these forums are against fansubs.. I dunno why really..

I'm against theft, not fansubs. I would like to make sure you understand the difference so as to understand my position.
Quote:
I mean it's free anime (well you gotta pay fora hard drive to put it in lol) And it's not always illegal.

Actually it IS illegal, but as you've pointed out in the RK thread, nobody's enforcing the law...yet.
Quote:
I mean I have Haibane Renmei eps, its not liscened so its not illegal O_o.

You can tell yourself that as many times as you want, but it's still not going to be true. Especially with a soon-to-be-licensed Pioneer LDC title like HR. Question: When Pioneer USA releases Haibane Renmei to video, are you going to delete your fansubs and buy the official release?
Quote:
Oh well I'd like to know your opinions.

Hopefully, my position on this has been made clear. How you wish to conduct yourself is entirely up to you. And that's the last I'm going to say about it.
PostWed Mar 26, 2003 1:29 am
Zechs

Obsessor

Post subject:
I actually enjoy fansubs, the translations are usually as close as you're gonna get, but Fansubs are illegal no matter what way you put it.

Endorsing them does little to help the already struggling genre. You're just stealing the money from the distributers, making the product even more expensive and making it harder for them to aquire new series. You think that it's free anime? Well it's not because we're the ones that have to pay. I get really pissed off at people who download ENTIRE series, then get cry because they want more.

Still, even with all that I don't think fansubbing shouldn't be banned. My policy with it is restraining from getting more than the first episode of any series and deleting those eps after maybe a week. Just as a test to see if I might want to buy the whole thing. Sometime I choose to go out and buy it, like with GTO, Love Hina, and soon Read or Die. Other times it didn't seem worth the money.
PostWed Mar 26, 2003 2:33 am
endy

Post subject: Re: Fansubs? Good? Bad?
"Question: When Pioneer USA releases Haibane Renmei to video, are you going to delete your fansubs and buy the official release? "

Yes, infact i already have deleted them.
PostWed Mar 26, 2003 7:52 am
Beefy

Obsessor

Post subject:
Fansubs are good for checking out a series to see if you like it and if it's worth spending your hard earned money on.

I got the first two eps of Chobits in Divx 5 format. I wanted to see what all the fuss over the series was about. Now I'm going to buy the DVD because I got pulled in. Surprised So in this case fansubs are actually supporting the anime industry.

In my opinion fansubbers should only fansub the first five eps of a series MAX. They don't need to do the whole series because you can tell if you like it within seeing five episodes.
PostWed Mar 26, 2003 9:17 am
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
WhtHawk

Obsessor

Post subject:
I use fan subs to check test a series to see if the disks are worth purchasing (Love Hina for me) or to see a ep. I missed for some reason.
PostWed Mar 26, 2003 12:54 pm
Spookmonkey

Obsessor

Post subject:
Fansubs actually aren't neccesarily the closest thing to dead on accurate as people seam to think. They can't call up the japanese distributer and ask about it; they just don't ahve the resources to do it very well. They have a basement in their parents house (my friend was a fansubber; a fairly successful one to boot), a computer, a japanese to english dictionary, and an imagination to fill in the gaps. Seriously that's what they got. Do you really think they can get everything that way? Probably not. They can get 75-85 percent of whats said depending on the series and just fill in the gaps according to however the feel at the time (they often replace words with cussing) and tthen all you people who get the fansubs watch those religiously; swearing by them and when a major distributar who obviously takes its anime seriously, otherwise they would never have gotten into the business, comes out with probably a more accurate translation by most likely more than one guy (maybe even a linguist) you all scream bloody murder when the dubs and subs don't match up perfectly with your fansub. You your self might not to do it, but you either now somebody who has or know of them. That's one reason I hate fansubs.

I don't mind subtitles though; it's just sometimes I'm to lazy to read the idiot box.

He's better than Pop-Rocks!
PostWed Mar 26, 2003 1:52 pm
endy

Post subject:
Beefy wrote:
Fansubs are good for checking out a series to see if you like it and if it's worth spending your hard earned money on.

I got the first two eps of Chobits in Divx 5 format. I wanted to see what all the fuss over the series was about. Now I'm going to buy the DVD because I got pulled in. Surprised So in this case fansubs are actually supporting the anime industry.

In my opinion fansubbers should only fansub the first five eps of a series MAX. They don't need to do the whole series because you can tell if you like it within seeing five episodes.

They'd do that.. if thats what fansubs were meant for O_o.. fansubbing is just another way to get anime thats all.
PostWed Mar 26, 2003 9:32 pm
Cooolcorey

Frequenter

Post subject:
I won't willingly watch a subtitled anime and like it until I learn Japanese, and I don't see that happening in my foreseeable future.
PostWed Mar 26, 2003 10:46 pm
gfpaperboy22

Loser

Post subject:
Fansubs= Free anime
Free anime= bad translation

Fansubs are good if you can find a decently translated version and in a good quality format. I just finished downloading the .hack//sign series and damn... thats good stuff. I do plan on buying it... but only if I have the spare cash on me, the box set is right in front of me, and the divx version on my HD are gone.
PostWed Mar 26, 2003 11:53 pm
Force-Attuned_Krogoth

Obsessor

Post subject:
I personally have a problem with downloading fansubs of .hack//sign. It's being shown currently, so sit your ass down and wait if you want it free. I download fansubs to see if I like the series. If I like it, I buy it. If I don't, I delete. If it's worth having on my HD, the people who make it should benefit. I also am not really interested in buying used copies, because the money isn't going to the company, so it's similar to fansubs, except that you pay someone for it.

For example, I absolutely love Ah! My Goddess, and, as soon as I have the money, I will buy it and delete the other copy. I have End of Eva on my hard drive, and I probably will delete it soon, so I can have that glorious anticipation. Finally, I refuse to download 08th MS Team, because I respect it too much. For something that good, I can't watch it without making sure the developers know it's being enjoyed.
PostThu Mar 27, 2003 10:19 pm
Spookmonkey

Obsessor

Post subject:
yup yup. we here at TIF sure love our ethical codes. which gives me an idea...... hmmm.......

He's better than Pop-Rocks!
PostThu Mar 27, 2003 10:36 pm
Nobuyuki

Obsessor

Post subject:
*sees what Spook hath wrought*
I'm pleasantly amused, yet mildly disappointed that Gouf-strapping wasn't involved... Wink
PostThu Mar 27, 2003 11:18 pm
FinalDivineDragoon

Obsessor

Post subject:
So far I have only seen 1 series fansubbed and that was Star Ocean EX. Why did I download it? Because I am 99% positive it will never get dubbed, and it was never finished(should've had 52 eps but only went to 26). Sure I may have dl'ed all of the eps and burned them onto cd to save my harddrive space, but the point is i'll only get what I know will never be here.
PostThu Mar 27, 2003 11:44 pm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Toonami All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: