нет

Results
Polls

Votes: 764
Comments: 7

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Toonami Infolink: Forums

Toonami Infolink :: View topic - FMA: Conqueror of Shambala
Toonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerLToonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerL
:: Home :: Forum FAQ :: Search :: TDA Chat Room :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
FMA: Conqueror of Shambala

View previous topic :: View next topic  
counterparadox

Obsessor

Post subject: FMA: Conqueror of Shambala
So, I finally watched the Fullmetal Alchemist movie. And I'm tired, so I won't be doing a full review just yet. However, I will rate a few things. IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW, AVERT YOUR EYES.

As in:

*SLIGHT SPOILERS in a manner or speaking*

In terms of questions left over at the end of the series, 80% of the reason I wanted to watch this movie was to get all my questions answered. I give this a 9/10. There were a few things I still want to know, but none of those things matter, if you know what I mean. All the things that matter? Totally answered. And the one GLARING question from the end of FMA? FINALLY have a satisfying AND definite answer.

Action and flair: 9/10. Actually, 9.5/10. I loved it. All of the typical type of action of the FMA series. Only, in a movie. And there was some stuff I didn't expect. All around good.

Ending: This one was key. The end of the FMA series, for lack of a better word, sucked. We were given 50 episodes of near flawless buildup and awesomeness, only to be let down horribly in the final episode. So if the movie didn't give a satisfying ending, I would have stabbed it. While I give the FMA series ending a 2/10 (for comparison sake) I give the ending of the movie an 8/10. And I see the movie, sort of, as episodes 52-55. If you view it like that, then the ending of the series has been transformed from a 2/10 to an 8/10. Which is good.

Overall, I'll give the movie an 8/10. To match the ending. Because there's sort of this semi-bittersweet taste left over in my mouth

Also, be warned, I can see TOTALLY hating the end of this movie. But there's no way you'll hate it more than the end of the series. It's impossible. And for that alone, I reccommend getting your hands on a copy of this movie.

So I enjoyed. Which is a good thing.

Play City of Heroes/Villians? Look me up, Pinnacle server, @C Paradox
PostSun Sep 17, 2006 1:42 am
Chibi_Zero

Obsessor

Post subject:
I saw it about a month ago in theaters. And I must say I liked the series ending and hated the movie's ending. But as for the movie as a whole, I thought it was great. We got to see what everyone was up to after the series ended as well as a few new faces.
PostSun Sep 17, 2006 10:04 am
Beefy

Obsessor

Post subject:
Poor Winry. Sad
PostSun Sep 17, 2006 11:24 pm
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Chibi_Zero

Obsessor

Post subject:
Beefy wrote:
Poor Winry. Sad

Indeed... She had to lose Ed both times.
PostMon Sep 18, 2006 4:04 pm
Gundam0084

Veteran

Post subject:
100% happy endings are overrated, anyway. Sure, it's nice to have everything all squeaky clean at the end, but bittersweet endings are more interesting to me. That way, you can use your imagination to see how it could have turned out better/differently, instead of having the best and most positive ending spoon fed to you.
PostSat Sep 23, 2006 3:05 pm
counterparadox

Obsessor

Post subject:
Gundam0084 wrote:
100% happy endings are overrated, anyway. Sure, it's nice to have everything all squeaky clean at the end, but bittersweet endings are more interesting to me. That way, you can use your imagination to see how it could have turned out better/differently, instead of having the best and most positive ending spoon fed to you.

*GRR. I was 3/4 done typing this, and Firefox decided to crash,*

*SPOILER WARNING!* The following contains spoilers regarding both the FMA series and the FMA movie. Don't bitch at me for not warning you. *SPOILER WARNING*

Here is why a bittersweet ending doesn't quite work for FMA. Fullmetal Alchemist is all about Equivalent Exchange. Ed and Al's Soul put in 3 years worth of work, blood, sweat, tears, anguish, and suffering trying to put things RIGHT. They help countless people along the way, including people that have nothing to do with achieving their goal. They are moral people, and the only time either of them waver is when Ed is told "Kill those prisoners so you can have your brother's body back, or we'll kill your brother." Yet, despite this, at the end of the series, we are given . . . Ed in another dimension (Earth) and Al gets his wold body back . . . complete with an entire lack of memory of the past 3 years, drawing into question whether the armor was really containing the soul of Al, or if the armor was simply a puppet made by Ed. I was pissed at that. Piiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiissed.

The movie, however, ends with the brothers together. This is the good part. The bad part is that they are in a different dimension from their home. However, there wasn't really much tying them there. They had no parents or home. They simply had Winry, Rose, and maybe Mustang. Sure everyone loved them, but they only really cared about certain people. Even their Master had finally died. But the ending still leaves a slightly bad taste in your mouth.

Unless . . .

Let's look at a few facts:

1) The alternate dimension to which Ed gets sent, is Earth. We see the timeline and places and events that we know actaully happened way back in 1920-1923.

2) Alchemy is very . . . mystic. It doesn't really make sense. Energy and Matter are neither created nor destroyed, but they are manipulated and controlled using nothing but thought and willpower.

3) Here's a weird one, but look at the lighting and colors. Earth is very cinematic, very realistic. Shambala (which may or may not be it's name, but they refer to it as that at one point, so I'm going with it) is much more vibrant and bright.

4) At multiple times during the movies, Dreams are mentioned. The Furher's Earthian doppleganger talks extensively about Dreams. The Gypsy can read people's minds in their dreams. Al controls the armor on Earth in his dreams.

So . . . what's all this mean? Well, I'll give you my take.

The cinematic style (3) doesn't in and of itself mean anything, but it does mean that the creators are trying to disinguish the two worlds. However, it's no conincidence that Earth is realistic and Shambala is vibrant and dreamlike (4). I mean, the very principle that Shambala is based on is Alchemy, a science that, according to fundamental and basic principles of physics, does not make sense (2). And Ed and Al, at the end of the movie, end up on Earth (1) which is what we would refer to as reality.

As in: not a dream.

Shambala is dreamlike, where magic is possible. Earth is reality.

Ed and Al, through their hard work, have found a way to transcend their universe, and escape a reality that isn't real. Ed and Al where able to bring themselves to reality itself, albeit accidentally.

I don't like looking at the movie that way. But I'm 80-90% sure that is the way the creators intended it to be viewed. And under that light, the only loss is the frindship of Winry. Aside from that, Ed and Al are in the real world, and are in a place and contain certain skills that would allow them to really make an attempt to fight for what is good and just in the world, right on the cusp of an upcoming series of unfortunate events and tragedies.

Play City of Heroes/Villians? Look me up, Pinnacle server, @C Paradox
PostSat Sep 23, 2006 4:55 pm
Zechs

Obsessor

Post subject:
During my stint at AFO7, Vic (Edward) announced they were premiering the movie at a local theater in Orlando. At the last minute however, there were some liscensing issues and Funimation said we couldn't show it. As a staff member, I would have had a front row seat with the voice actors if it had been shown. So...fucking..bitter.
PostMon Sep 25, 2006 12:07 am
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Adult Swim All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: