нет

Results
Polls

Votes: 764
Comments: 7

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Toonami Infolink: Forums

Toonami Infolink :: View topic - Animation Inquiries: Answered by The Monkey
Toonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerLToonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerL
:: Home :: Forum FAQ :: Search :: TDA Chat Room :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
Animation Inquiries: Answered by The Monkey
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Animation Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zechs

Obsessor

Post subject:
Just for Spooks sake I'd say that it'ss harder to answer questions that are opinion instead of fact based which is what he was talking about when he chanllenged us to stump him.
PostThu Nov 14, 2002 5:46 pm
counterparadox

Obsessor

Post subject:
If I was here yesterday, I woulda said something. But man, not one of you have asked a good question. Except maybe Rycel, and Deelite (though I didn't really get it since it could mean two things and isn't clear as to which), and someone else I can't think of right now.

I'll handle some of this. As for DBZ trivia, ask Akira Toriyama. Literally, he's the only one that knows, and he's never really said some things, leading to speculation about who's the strongest, etc. There are no plot holes, just things you don't know. Trust me.

As for what has the best animation, that depends. Why? Because animation is only good so long as it fits with the feeling of the show. Can you see South Park with the animation of Cowbot Bebop, or Samurai Jack? NO! That's because it just doesn't fit. South Park animation is good because it fits the show.

And things with a lot of effects and stuff can be crap too. Like The Groovenians. Worst show EVER made. And I've loved every single damn minute BIT of 3d Animation I've EVER seen before that.

As to which show is coolest/most depressing/whatever, it's up to you. We all have our own opinion. A lot of people thought Meet the Parents was a funny movie. I didn't. So it's your own opinion.

Now then, Spook, I'm sure I can come up with SOMETHING that you don't know off the top of your head. Hmmm. Let's see . . . .there have been so many times that I've been like "Holy crap how did the do that!" So, to start off, I'll ask something that I think I already know the answer to, based off of something you've said before on the subject, but I just wanna check.

In some of the more refined, realistic animated works (Cowboy Bebop is the only one I can think of right now), there is bluring of things that are close up, as if it were a real camera, in real life. Enlighten us as to how this happens.

Also, I have a question about backrounds, but I'll ask it once you're done with this.

Play City of Heroes/Villians? Look me up, Pinnacle server, @C Paradox
PostThu Nov 14, 2002 9:31 pm
John_Bono_Smithy_Satchmo

Obsessor

Post subject:
MONOBROW wrote:
What tv show/anime has/had the best animation ever?

Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust.
Hands down over anything I've ever seen drawn.
PostThu Nov 14, 2002 10:37 pm
Spookmonkey

Obsessor

Post subject:
John_Bono_Smithy_Satchmo wrote:
MONOBROW wrote:
What tv show/anime has/had the best animation ever?

Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust.
Hands down over anything I've ever seen drawn.

That's not exactly fare, VHD:B is an anime movie, an american produced/made for movie. Which is why it's quality is so much higher than your standard anime. IT was made for us and only for us (thus the reason for no audio track other than english) If you're going to go anime movie version amerime movie I'd say Tarzan and Treasure Planet whoop VHD:B's ass in term of technical and story accomplishments. Vamp Hunter just happens to be for an older audience is all. I do agree though that as far as anime goes Bloodlust takes the cake for top shit.

He's better than Pop-Rocks!
PostThu Nov 14, 2002 11:21 pm
counterparadox

Obsessor

Post subject:
What about my question . . .

PostThu Nov 14, 2002 11:25 pm
Spookmonkey

Obsessor

Post subject:
counterparadox wrote:
If I was here yesterday, I woulda said something. But man, not one of you have asked a good question. Except maybe Rycel, and Deelite (though I didn't really get it since it could mean two things and isn't clear as to which), and someone else I can't think of right now.

The "defining feature" thing wasn't too bad of a question either.

I'll handle some of this. As for DBZ trivia, ask Akira Toriyama. Literally, he's the only one that knows, and he's never really said some things, leading to speculation about who's the strongest, etc. There are no plot holes, just things you don't know. Trust me.

As for what has the best animation, that depends. Why? Because animation is only good so long as it fits with the feeling of the show. Can you see South Park with the animation of Cowbot Bebop, or Samurai Jack? NO! That's because it just doesn't fit. South Park animation is good because it fits the show.

And things with a lot of effects and stuff can be crap too. Like The Groovenians. Worst show EVER made. And I've loved every single damn minute BIT of 3d Animation I've EVER seen before that.

As to which show is coolest/most depressing/whatever, it's up to you. We all have our own opinion. A lot of people thought Meet the Parents was a funny movie. I didn't. So it's your own opinion.

Nicely put, very nicely put. And Zechs, you are both right, I wanted more questions about facts not opinion. The occasional opinion question is ok, but not too many, especially not all at once.

Quote:
Now then, Spook, I'm sure I can come up with SOMETHING that you don't know off the top of your head. Hmmm. Let's see . . . .there have been so many times that I've been like "Holy crap how did the do that!" So, to start off, I'll ask something that I think I already know the answer to, based off of something you've said before on the subject, but I just wanna check.

In some of the more refined, realistic animated works (Cowboy Bebop is the only one I can think of right now), there is bluring of things that are close up, as if it were a real camera, in real life. Enlighten us as to how this happens.

Also, I have a question about backrounds, but I'll ask it once you're done with this.

That is post preduction and done in the computer for a large part of it from what I understand. It can be done by hand but from what I've seen from shows like He-Man (those guys use that alot) it's fairly obvious to me that it was post preduction. You can simulte the depth like that in most post/editing programs. Especally with animation progs, those are made for doing those kinds of tricks with animation. They used to do the same thing with the multiplane camera you asked about on the old thread. It's all done digitally now.

PostThu Nov 14, 2002 11:31 pm
counterparadox

Obsessor

Post subject:
That explains it. Now then, with backrounds, how do they line up the characters with the backrounds sooooo well, making the character slide down a rail in the backround or things like that. This is more-so a question about in the past than now, with computers and all. Like, would they ever have to re-animate a scene because it didn't fit right?

And FAK's (I believe it was FAK) quesiton about how long it takes, start to finish, to animate one half-hour. That's also something I'd like to know.

PostThu Nov 14, 2002 11:36 pm
Spookmonkey

Obsessor

Post subject:
Beatdiggga wrote:
A smart question!

How long does it take these days to complete one-half-hour of a conventional animated show?

depends on the show. it generally times about 6-9 months for a 13 episode season to be completed. so lets see, that's 13 22 minute episodes and 180-270 days roughly, so... they have basicly 3 weeks to get a majority of an episode done. Since most series have multiple sub-teams so they can have more than one episode in the works at once, I'd say 3 weeks to a month and a half for each episode when all the time is put together. which is why alot of animation for tv sucks. it's hugely rushed and a limited budget on top of that. but episode ideas and stuff are hammered out before they start getting worked on generally. Which is why you have to kick ass at what you do. A Story board artist draws stuff off model things are going to go downhill fast if not corrected in a hurry.

PostFri Nov 15, 2002 12:01 am
Spookmonkey

Obsessor

Post subject:
counterparadox wrote:
That explains it. Now then, with backrounds, how do they line up the characters with the backrounds sooooo well, making the character slide down a rail in the backround or things like that. This is more-so a question about in the past than now, with computers and all. Like, would they ever have to re-animate a scene because it didn't fit right?

And FAK's (I believe it was FAK) quesiton about how long it takes, start to finish, to animate one half-hour. That's also something I'd like to know.

hehe, was writing my answer as you posted your question Smile

anyway, yes they did have to reanimate it if it didn't fit right, but they did it while it was in the pencil test stage so it wasn't nearly as big of a problem. on some of the cheaper shows they would just slide the cel the character or object was on. There are times when whole episodes have to be redone because of things not looking right (look at the original babysitter episde on the simpsons season 1 dvd, there where so many fuck up in there it wasn't even funny, no I take that back, it was hilarious).

PostFri Nov 15, 2002 12:08 am
counterparadox

Obsessor

Post subject:
I saw that DVD. Two friends and I watched the whole Season 1 DVD set in one day. Good times. Listened to the commentary on that episode, even. I forget who it was, but one of the producers actually walked out while they were doing the commentary cuz he thought that it sucked so much. Heh, if they didn't re-animate that, I doubt there would still be a Simpsons show today.

Let's move into a little bit of CG, shall we? For the upcoming Lord of hte Rings: The Two Towers, there's a scene where there are 50,000 CG warriors all fighting independantly. I read an article on how they did this, but I'm wondering if you alrady know, wihtout looking it up, how they did this. Really cool, actually. So enlighten us, oh Spookey one.

PostFri Nov 15, 2002 11:55 am
Spookmonkey

Obsessor

Post subject:
counterparadox wrote:
Let's move into a little bit of CG, shall we? For the upcoming Lord of hte Rings: The Two Towers, there's a scene where there are 50,000 CG warriors all fighting independantly. I read an article on how they did this, but I'm wondering if you alrady know, wihtout looking it up, how they did this. Really cool, actually. So enlighten us, oh Spookey one.

Okay. First off, they get a crap load of people together for the scene. the numbers are well into the thousands. They dress them up and tell them what they need to do. Then they go back in later and can basicly do a full body scan of character types in costume which then gets touched up and textured and so forth. They then can use basicly particle systems to figure out where and how dense the digital versions are on the screen and where they will move to. They then get a basic animation for the different types of actions each group needs and pop them in. I'm not sure if they used this for LotR, but I know they've done this for other movies in the past. ID4 and Disney's Hunchback come to mind.

PostFri Nov 15, 2002 3:32 pm
counterparadox

Obsessor

Post subject:
Stumped ya! They actually wrote a program for this scene, which gives each of the 50,000 characters their own A.I. The whole thing is random. They make one model, then copy it 50,000 times, and adjust the height, dirty-ness, aggression, intelligence, etc. of each one. Then there is an A.I. that is set up so that, depending on their individual attributes, they are inclined to make certain decisions, though, like real people, they don't always follow that. They have motions set up with each decision, makeing them fight different ways, climb ladders, die different ways, etc. They even follow all of the laws of physics. The people just put all the models in, and let it run. The whole scene is random. They have to just use trial and error to see which is best, and then use that one for the movie.

For making the motions, they used guys in those special suits so that they could track their motions and such. So you where part right. Heh, this question was unfair though, since this has only been used in this movie, and I doubted that you ahd read about it yet.

In case you want to look into it, the program that set up the A.I.s is called Massive.

And I can't think of any more questions just yet. I'll get back to you on that.

PostFri Nov 15, 2002 4:26 pm
MONOBROW

Post subject:
Oh, I actually have a good one: What was the first anime ever?
PostSat Nov 16, 2002 12:04 pm
AdmiralGreer

Obsessor

Post subject:
counterparadox wrote:
Stumped ya! They actually wrote a program for this scene, which gives each of the 50,000 characters their own A.I. The whole thing is random. They make one model, then copy it 50,000 times, and adjust the height, dirty-ness, aggression, intelligence, etc. of each one. Then there is an A.I. that is set up so that, depending on their individual attributes, they are inclined to make certain decisions, though, like real people, they don't always follow that. They have motions set up with each decision, makeing them fight different ways, climb ladders, die different ways, etc. They even follow all of the laws of physics. The people just put all the models in, and let it run. The whole scene is random. They have to just use trial and error to see which is best, and then use that one for the movie.

For making the motions, they used guys in those special suits so that they could track their motions and such. So you where part right. Heh, this question was unfair though, since this has only been used in this movie, and I doubted that you ahd read about it yet.

In case you want to look into it, the program that set up the A.I.s is called Massive.

And I can't think of any more questions just yet. I'll get back to you on that.

So in gamers terms, they made a program with a bunch of bots, and had them duke it out?

Nice.

Okay, here's a question:

During the 1980's, what animated series recieved the higest ratings? American animation.
PostSat Nov 16, 2002 6:48 pm
Zechs

Obsessor

Post subject:
Not to crowd you with too many question but I got one.

Who or what company was the first to use or invent Cel animation?
PostSat Nov 16, 2002 8:23 pm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Animation Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 3 of 11

Jump to: