нет

Results
Polls

Votes: 764
Comments: 7

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Toonami Infolink: Forums

Toonami Infolink :: View topic - what is a good One Piece cast
Toonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerLToonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerL
:: Home :: Forum FAQ :: Search :: TDA Chat Room :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
what is a good One Piece cast

View previous topic :: View next topic  
libra

Post subject: what is a good One Piece cast
some of you arnt going to like what i have to say. some of you may hate me. but this seems to be something i cant hold in anymore. i expect the ridicule. but this is just not fair to a great group of voice actors and actresses.

i cant think of a way to say this without offending people's sensibilities. so ill just spit it out.

the 4kids talent for one piece was damn fine and doesnt deserve the blind fury given to the rest of 4kids.

now why. i say this knowing that people will consider this my opinion alone and disregard it. but i ask please give it a chance. there is so much hatred on this subject. but please dont just pass this off. let me say that i am not completely happy with the 4kids edit. the guns, the deaths, the violence that may have been taken out. i dont like it. but ive heard what people say about the voice acting on 4kids' one piece. its mean, cruel, and sometimes uncivil. ive seen the best anime and american anime companies have had to offer. Tenchi, Gundam, Big O, if its been on toonami, ive seen it. and ive heard the 4kids voice acting on one piece. and this is where i might get the hate mail, but i dont care. the 4kids voice acting was superb. or at least not bad. these maybe my experiences alone but i know them to be genuine. i laughed when Luffy laughed, i cried with nami because of arlong and with vivy at pelt's death and at her kingdom's situation. was i crying and laughing with the story, of course, but the voices were a part of that. a big part. also. the editing, placing one shot with the next shot, timing them to compliment each other was also an enormous, and well done, piece. now who am i to be saying these things? well im an big fan of one piece too, so every bit as deserving as any of the people saying hurtful things. hurtful to the voice cast and editors for 4kids, who to everything i can see put heart into one piece. alot of it. was there ever a disconnect of emotion form character and actor? was there ever a break in character? were they really that bad?

were they loud? were they cartoony? should they have had all the accents? i can say all i want on these subjects but its all fan speculation to me. problems that would usually be minor fan disagreements with the production company. i will always describe one piece as a cartoony action adventure show that dances between comedy and a drama masterfully. and one piece is a loud show with loud characters. no i havnt seen much of the subed episodes. but dealing with differences between subed and dubed versions is tricky. we fans arnt the ones who deal with broadcasting standards and all the fans.

i know its easy to judge the company as a whole. but i believe that the editors and the cast are true artists. and if they could have they wouldnt have done all the the things the management commanded. please dont judge the employees for the decisions of the executives.

why have i waited so long? fear and aggervation. looking at the sheer amount of hatred toward ALL of 4kids, i was scared my words and views would be shot down before they could get their toes off the ground. i was scared of being ignored as a crackpot or even laughed at. and im a coward for this. i remember what it was like when the war started. people were severely looked down on for opposing the positive views of the war. i guessed i didnt want to feel that again. the feeling you get when you give your honest opinion, and people just look at you and their stair says "just shut up". but i look at magazines that say "horrible voice acting" and further disparaging remarks from the fans. i cant just sit and take it anymore. i remember the heart and soul in those voices and editing and see unjust judgment.

please look past the censoring, please look past the management, was the artistry so lacking? was there no emotion? did it look like the artists doing this show seem like they didnt care?!.......do they really deserve such scorn?!

What do i expect from this? i only want people to consider to innocence of the 4kids cast and editors, the artists of 4kids. or at least blame the people who decide on censoring and content and/or limit it. please dont blame the people and artists forced to implement it as a condition of their paycheck.

there has been so much said about the things wrong about the 4kids edit. how many good things have been said? im not expecting an equal amount but anything at all. has anyone said anything even remotely good about the 4kids' edit? and if so how was their/that view taken?

as i said i expect scorn and rejection. but i hold that hope that people can even in the storm of hatred and distaste can see something different and consider it. i hope that people can see past the corporate muck and see the good few working for them. i say alot of hate. and know thats a strong word but i dont take it back. that is what i see and read in so many places. i know want it feels like to have an anime changed to such an extent, im a digimon fan and this season has some bad changes. i know the feeling of anger towards a production company. i know how easily it can turn into hatred. but no matter how bad the change its never right. it never helps. has it changed bad edits through time? has it stopped it? the fan dissatisfaction has made a change for sure. but has it made sure this wont happen to the next one piece or robotech or cardcaptors?

and no, im not happy with the funimation situation. as i said, i laughed with luffy and cried with the 4kids cast and editing. and now im expected to enjoy new interpretations of the show. i have to listen to new voices on old friends? they didnt even do what they did for DBZ, which is try to match the old voices. i tried to watch it, but cant, i just cant. i tried to laugh but could barely even smile. the entire situation, fans, funimation, and my love of the show, became too much for me. i cant even read the manga without becoming angry and upset. and i love this show soooo much! but i cant help but feel for the 4kids cast and crew. thoughts always drifting to the mean words on the net directed at the voices i put on the word bubbles. my experiences on drum island and alabasta were heard with the first voices, how can u ask me to feel the same way for the same events with different voices. your asking me to change martin luther king jr's voice saying "i have a dream". with different expressions. i realize its not easy for funimation to do what they did for tenchi, which i thank them for using the old voices. but its the same situation. i started tenchi with those voices and no one else will do. but funimation made such big changes. something itched when i heard funimation's zolo voice, no matter how much i tried to give it a chance. i felt like if i wanted to enjoy one piece i had to put up with it. how do u enjoy something when your putting up with it? it feels like being dragged. but i love one piece sooooooo much. following your dreams, laughing in the face of danger, hanging with your friends. it hurts to have to turn away from this, but it hurts to watch.

i leave you to say what you will about my views. please consider them, thats all i ask. i know i cant make 4kids the production company or get the old voice cast on. i just want to end the vicious words and defacing comments. these people at the very lease didnt mean any harm, dont tell me this is false.
PostSun Jun 01, 2008 1:47 am
Beefy

Obsessor

Post subject:
For the record, the only voice I downright hated in 4kids' One Piece was Pearl. Fortunately he was only in two or three episodes.

I have great respect for the voice actors. They get in the recording booth and do what they're told. They're putty in the director's hands.
I blame the script writers and the directors for the repugnant dub of One Piece. Whose dumb idea was it to make every other sentence a pun?

Sabat is ok, but Diraison will always be Zoro for me.

If 4Kids actually made an uncut dub for One Piece I would have bought the DVDs. I was enjoying their uncut Shaman King DVDs - too bad they only released two of them.

In the end, 4Kids blew their chance to make One Piece great. Now One Piece is back in FUNimation's hands, where it originally was before 4Kids offered Toei more money for it.
4Kids just doesn't want to learn that they can't rely on dubbing practices left over from the 1990s. If they can't adapt with the times, then they'll eventually go extinct.
PostSun Jun 01, 2008 11:10 pm
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Toonami All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: