нет

Results
Polls

Votes: 764
Comments: 7

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Toonami Infolink: Forums

Toonami Infolink :: View topic - Editing out things till it dont make sense?
Toonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerLToonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerL
:: Home :: Forum FAQ :: Search :: TDA Chat Room :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
Editing out things till it dont make sense?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kalma

Veteran

Post subject: Editing out things till it dont make sense?
Editing out things till it dont make sense?

I was watching Yu Yu Hakosho on the SVES, it was like the 2nd Genkai Tourney Episode. Anyway, last week was the one before the 3 demons Kurama, Hiei, and that big guy. But what I noticed in this episode was that they edited out Genkai's smokes which are important to how Yuske wind a fight and later Kibano makes a reference to his "Little Trick" and you're all like "Wait! What trick?"
PostSun Nov 09, 2003 12:02 am
Daikun

Obsessor

Post subject:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/columns/edit-list.php
PostSun Nov 09, 2003 2:11 am
JJc14

Obsessor

Post subject:
cigarrette edits are really the only edits that i don't see eye-to-eye with the network on, because there's no way to completely censor your kid from smoking exposure in real life...people smoke; there's just no way around it, and hiding the issue seems rather cheap...

that being said, this fight has so little impact on the grand scale of things...if this had happened in the finals, or to some major antagonist, i'd probably be more vocal about it, but you know yusuke's gonna win this match, and this fight will be completely forgotten about after the next 'big' adversary comes along...
PostSun Nov 09, 2003 2:27 pm
CollegeBum

Frequenter

Post subject:
The only reason I can see smoking being edited out is its like one of hte mian charaters and they dont want the kids to get the wrong impressing. Like watching CB and how all them smoke and it makes them look cool etc.

The main edit that bugs the shit out of me is when they replace "kill" with destroy or something else.
When they edit out blood. I was watching Kenshin one night and they did the shittest job on coving up this bad wound he had on his sholder.

On a side note Kenshin and Outlaw Star have had more edits to them than all the other anime series on CN put togeather. Maybe Tenchi too, with all the nudity and sexual stuff.

Thats what it is all about!
PostSun Nov 09, 2003 3:12 pm
JJc14

Obsessor

Post subject:
CollegeBum wrote:
The only reason I can see smoking being edited out is its like one of hte mian charaters and they dont want the kids to get the wrong impressing. Like watching CB and how all them smoke and it makes them look cool etc.

i agree with that logic, but watching the old loony tunes shorts all the time as a kid never really sparked an interest in smoking...you're right though, i can unfortuantely see some deranged parent point to cartoons as the reason for a kid smoking...::sigh::...

CollegeBum wrote:
The main edit that bugs the shit out of me is when they replace "kill" with destroy or something else.

again, i agree...the edits to the word "kill" always irked me, and outlaw star was one of the worst examples due to how often they had to cover it up...luckilly, that trait seems to be slowly fading, as kenshin, yu yu hakusho, dragonball, and cyborg 009 have mostly left them untouched this year...

CollegeBum wrote:
When they edit out blood. I was watching Kenshin one night and they did the shittest job on coving up this bad wound he had on his sholder.

eh, i may not like it, but i'll abide by it, as blood is unfortunately still a very taboo issue for cartoons in america...again, yu yu hakusho and kenshin seemed to try leaving some in, and cn usually does a good enough job "implying" an injury, but yea, you can't make them all seamless...

CollegeBum wrote:
On a side note Kenshin and Outlaw Star have had more edits to them than all the other anime series on CN put togeather. Maybe Tenchi too, with all the nudity and sexual stuff.

to see them for free on television, i'll take 'em edited...if it weren't for seeing outlaw star's toonami run, i probably would've missed out on what became one of my personal favorites...
PostSun Nov 09, 2003 3:36 pm
Daikun

Obsessor

Post subject:
JJc14 wrote:
cigarrette edits are really the only edits that i don't see eye-to-eye with the network on, because there's no way to completely censor your kid from smoking exposure in real life...people smoke; there's just no way around it, and hiding the issue seems rather cheap...

I agree with you there. FUNimation seems to have trouble with smoking edits. They allowed Supreme Commander Red from Dragonball to smoke up a storm, so what's wrong with everybody else doing it?
PostSun Nov 09, 2003 7:08 pm
FinalDivineDragoon

Obsessor

Post subject:
What really screws things up is that, cigarretes are looked down upon, but people were allowed to smoke pipes and cigars in kenshin. Of course they tried to be as lenient as possible with that series by even allowing opium to be said in one ep which was a bit of a shock.....if just a minor one.
PostSun Nov 09, 2003 7:16 pm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
WhtHawk

Obsessor

Post subject:
[quote="JJc14"]
CollegeBum wrote:
to see them for free on television, i'll take 'em edited...if it weren't for seeing outlaw star's toonami run, i probably would've missed out on what became one of my personal favorites...

I agree. If your really a fan of the seiries you'll see the series undeited anyway. Several of my favorite shows were one's I first saw edited. True fans will appreciate the fact that a large audience is seeing thier favorite show weither it's edited or not.
PostSun Nov 09, 2003 10:27 pm
Kumorii

Post subject:
Yea, OLS was my first anime I had seen, and it's still in my top 5 now.

Now to the smoking issue...
It's just plain stupid trying to hide it. Along with all the other horrible cuts that went alongside Kenshin, I saw the infamous toothpick Saito smoked... Cmon people, can you be anymore obvious?! Smoking is bad, but hiding it up with a toothpick? Well all that does is glorify how bad it is.

Yeah I was kinda shocked that they left the opium part slip through. Leave it to them to cut out mediocre things like cigarettes, but leave in a drug like opium. (But there was too much of the story to alter if they had changed it)

-peace
PostMon Nov 10, 2003 9:25 pm
nightfall

Post subject:
The opium issue was discussed in the Kenshin thread. Basically, opium is shown as a verra bad thing, and that's okay in a kid's cartoon. If you remember, drugs were bad in eps of the orig He-Man, Superfriends, GI Joe, and probably even Transformers. Heck, in the 80s toons were required to have a percentage of educational material, and anti-drug messages were an easy one. So, that one got by on a technicality.

The smokes don't make it because of the same reasons: drugs are bad and shouldn't be shown in a casual manner.

Okay. Soccer moms win the round for the 8-14 slot.

What I want to know is why cn isn't showing the uncut eps they showed on the first run of Yu-Yu. The time slot is now after the 11 o'clock news, so why not show curses, blood and cigarettes?
PostMon Nov 10, 2003 10:01 pm
Nobuyuki

Obsessor

Post subject:
nightfall wrote:
What I want to know is why cn isn't showing the uncut eps they showed on the first run of Yu-Yu. The time slot is now after the 11 o'clock news, so why not show curses, blood and cigarettes?

I'm going out on a limb and guessing since Saturday isn't a "school night", there's a higher probability of "kids" staying up late, and SVES not labeled as "for mature audiences", then CN is playing it safe to avoid controversy.
PostMon Nov 10, 2003 10:44 pm
Daikun

Obsessor

Post subject:
nightfall wrote:
What I want to know is why cn isn't showing the uncut eps they showed on the first run of Yu-Yu.

CN never showed Yu Yu Hakusho uncut. Even the Adult Swim version had edits.
PostTue Nov 11, 2003 12:51 am
Kalma

Veteran

Post subject:
Actually I was more concerned that they skipped four or five episodes plus the earlier one where Yuske tries to keep Kuwabara out of trouble. They like to remove whole episodes and I dont like it.

Daikun wrote:
JJc14 wrote:

I agree with you there. FUNimation seems to have trouble with smoking edits. They allowed Supreme Commander Red from Dragonball to smoke up a storm, so what's wrong with everybody else doing it?

Red was the badguy but was a midget as well.
PostTue Nov 11, 2003 1:01 am
Daikun

Obsessor

Post subject:
Kalma wrote:
Red was the badguy but was a midget as well.

What does being a midget have to do with anything?
PostTue Nov 11, 2003 3:09 am
Kalma

Veteran

Post subject:
It has nothing to do with anything but why did they make him a midget other than to have his wish be all the more selfish.
PostTue Nov 11, 2003 3:17 am
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Toonami All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: