нет

Results
Polls

Votes: 764
Comments: 7

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Toonami Infolink: Forums

Toonami Infolink :: View topic - Nuclear fusion on the desktop ... really!
Toonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerLToonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerL
:: Home :: Forum FAQ :: Search :: TDA Chat Room :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
Nuclear fusion on the desktop ... really!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Miscellaneous Babble
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nobuyuki

Obsessor

Post subject: Nuclear fusion on the desktop ... really!
Mini-reactor yields neutrons, could power spacecraft
MSNBC staff and news service reports
Updated: 2:56 p.m. ET April 27, 2005

Scientists say they have achieved small-scale nuclear fusion in a tabletop experiment, using tried and true techniques that are expected to generate far less controversy than past such claims.

This latest experiment relied on a tiny crystal to generate a strong electric field. While the energy created was too small to harness cheap fusion power, the technique could have potential uses in medicine, spacecraft propulsion, the oil drilling industry and homeland security, said Seth Putterman, a physicist at the University of California at Los Angeles.

Putterman and his colleagues at UCLA, Brian Naranjo and Jim Gimzewski, report their results in Thursday's issue of the journal Nature.

Past derision
Previous claims of tabletop fusion have been met with skepticism and even derision by physicists.

In one of the most notable cases, Dr. B. Stanley Pons of the University of Utah and Martin Fleischmann of Southampton University in England shocked the world in 1989 when they announced that they had achieved so-called cold fusion at room temperature. Their work was discredited after repeated attempts to reproduce it failed.

Another technique, known as sonoluminescence, generates heat through the collapse of tiny bubbles in a liquid. Some scientists claim that nuclear fusion occurs during the reaction, but those claims have sparked sharp debate.

Fusion experts said the UCLA experiment will face far less skepticism because it conforms to well-known principles of physics.

"This doesn't have any controversy in it because they're using a tried and true method," David Ruzic, professor of nuclear and plasma engineering at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, told The Associated Press. "There's no mystery in terms of the physics."

In a Nature commentary, Michael Saltmarsh of the Oak Ridge National Laboratory said the UCLA process was in some ways "remarkably low-tech," drawing upon principles that were first recorded by the Greek philosopher Theophrastus in 314 B.C.

Ultimate energy source
Fusion power has been touted as the ultimate energy source and a cleaner alternative to fossil fuels like coal and oil. Fossil fuels are expected to run short in about 50 years.

In fusion, light atoms are joined in a high-temperature process that frees large amounts of energy. It is considered environmentally friendly because it produces virtually no air pollution and does not pose the safety and long-term radioactive waste concerns associated with modern nuclear power plants, where heavy uranium atoms are split to create energy in a process known as fission.

In the UCLA experiment, scientists placed a tiny crystal that can generate a strong electric field into a vacuum chamber filled with deuterium gas, a form of hydrogen capable of fusion. Then the researchers activated the crystal by heating it.

The resulting electric field created a beam of charged deuterium atoms that struck a nearby target, which was embedded with yet more deuterium. When some of the deuterium atoms in the beam collided with their counterparts in the target, they fused.

The reaction gave off an isotope of helium along with subatomic particles known as neutrons, a characteristic of fusion. The experiment did not, however, produce more energy than the amount put in — an achievement that would be a huge breakthrough.

Commercial uses
UCLA's Putterman said future experiments will focus on refining the technique for potential commercial uses, including designing portable neutron generators that could be used for oil well drilling or scanning luggage and cargo at airports.

The technology also could conceivably give rise to implantable radiation sources, which could target cancer cells while minimizing damage to healthy tissue. "You could bring a tiny crystal into the body, place it next to a tumor, turn on the radiation and blast the tumor," Putterman told MSNBC.com.

In the Nature report, Putterman and his colleagues said the crystal-based method could be used in "microthrusters for miniature spacecraft." In such an application, the method would not rely on nuclear fusion for power generation, but rather on ion propulsion, Putterman said.

"As wild as it is, that’s a conservative application," he said.
PostThu Apr 28, 2005 10:05 pm
Beefy

Obsessor

Post subject:
We need a Mr. Fusion from Back to the Future. Throw your trash in, get 1.21 gigawatts out.
PostThu Apr 28, 2005 10:09 pm
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
John_Bono_Smithy_Satchmo

Obsessor

Post subject:
Why don't you get right on that?
PostFri Apr 29, 2005 2:36 am
Beefy

Obsessor

Post subject:
That's not a good idea. The last time I tried to invent something the fire department had to intervene.
PostFri Apr 29, 2005 12:02 pm
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
dougisfunny

Obsessor

Post subject:
why am I not all that surprised?
The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
PostFri Apr 29, 2005 1:16 pm
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
John_Bono_Smithy_Satchmo

Obsessor

Post subject:
About the desktop fusion experiment, or Beefy's encounters with emergency services?
PostFri Apr 29, 2005 1:46 pm
Nobuyuki

Obsessor

Post subject:
Beefy wrote:
That's not a good idea. The last time I tried to invent something the fire department had to intervene.

That never stopped Edison...
PostFri Apr 29, 2005 3:01 pm
AngelHedgie

Post subject:
Nobuyuki wrote:
Beefy wrote:

That never stopped Edison...

You know, I used to respect Edison...until I read about two things he did - his campaign to discredit AC, and the start of the film industry.

I don't hold Edison in very high esteem anymore.

Best line from a Cartoon Cartoon: "Sometimes love hurts, Pud'n. And I love you very much."
PostFri Apr 29, 2005 4:59 pm
Beefy

Obsessor

Post subject:
AngelHedgie wrote:
You know, I used to respect Edison...until I read about two things he did - his campaign to discredit AC, and the start of the film industry.

True, Edison was bent on using DC for the power grid. It was Tesla who knew AC was better. When it came time for Edison to pay Tesla for his help, the bastard short changed him. Tesla was a genius, it's a shame he never had enough funding for his research.
PostFri Apr 29, 2005 5:12 pm
Alshoff

Post subject:
AngelHedgie wrote:

Edison did invent some things or improve some existing inventions himself, but he formed a company/team to create inventions that are now attributed only to Edison. I believe it was that team that created the bulk of those inventions.

I hear he was a good businessman, though.
PostFri Apr 29, 2005 5:47 pm
AngelHedgie

Post subject:
Alshoff wrote:
AngelHedgie wrote:

Edison did invent some things or improve some existing inventions himself, but he formed a company/team to create inventions that are now attributed only to Edison. I believe it was that team that created the bulk of those inventions.

I hear he was a good businessman, though.

He was pretty good at electrocuting Fluffy, too. And ever wonder why the film studios are in CA these days? Try looking at the distance between LA and NJ.

Best line from a Cartoon Cartoon: "Sometimes love hurts, Pud'n. And I love you very much."
PostFri Apr 29, 2005 5:50 pm
John_Bono_Smithy_Satchmo

Obsessor

Post subject:
Beefy wrote:
True, Edison was bent on using DC for the power grid. It was Tesla who knew AC was better. When it came time for Edison to pay Tesla for his help, the bastard short changed him. Tesla was a genius, it's a shame he never had enough funding for his research.

I think by "Tesla," you mean "Westinghouse." Wink
Though I suppose Tesla played his own small role, when he wasn't blowing up Russian farmland with 4*10^15 volts of electric potential.
PostSat Apr 30, 2005 12:35 pm
ToonamiL

Veteran

Post subject:
Beefy wrote:
AngelHedgie wrote:

I like how Edison wanted to discredit AC with the Electric Chair.
PostSat Apr 30, 2005 10:40 pm
Force-Attuned_Krogoth

Obsessor

Post subject:
Feh, table-top fusion has always been pretty reasonably available, it's just not cost-efficient. Ionize your light atoms completely (That's the hardest part) then put them in a vacuum chamber with a sperical wire mesh highly negatively charged. If you charge it enough and wait, you'll see some fusion.
PostMon May 09, 2005 2:44 pm
John_Bono_Smithy_Satchmo

Obsessor

Post subject:
Ah, but this form of tabletop fusion yeilds enough energy for your buck to have practical applications. Consider it an alternate form of feul that you could dump it out of the back of a rocket ship.
PostMon May 09, 2005 3:01 pm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Miscellaneous Babble All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: