нет

Results
Polls

Votes: 764
Comments: 7

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Toonami Infolink: Forums

Toonami Infolink :: View topic - Can an american make anime?
Toonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerLToonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerL
:: Home :: Forum FAQ :: Search :: TDA Chat Room :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
Can an american make anime?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Animation Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vegito1471

Frequenter

Post subject: Can an american make anime?
I was wondering if an american can make anime exactly the same way as the japanese do without having to move to japan. If so are there any company extensions like toei and sunrise inc in the us?
PostMon May 30, 2005 8:26 pm
counterparadox

Obsessor

Post subject:
...I wish Spookmonkey was here for this one.

Play City of Heroes/Villians? Look me up, Pinnacle server, @C Paradox
PostMon May 30, 2005 9:48 pm
Nobuyuki

Obsessor

Post subject:
Yeah, he was the expert.
But I think the basic answer is "not really". You can make it look like anime, but then people would complain... Wink

As far as the animation companies, a few have US offices, but they primarily work on backstage production issues like funding, licensing and distribution; the animation is still drawn in Japan and Korea.
PostMon May 30, 2005 10:18 pm
AdmiralGreer

Obsessor

Post subject:
This is a stretch, but you could get a team of Japanese-Americans to make a Japanese cartoon. Only problem is, we're the most "integrated into America" Asian-American group. There also aren't that many of us these days (due to the integration factor and the increasing number of Asian immigrants from south and southeast asia). And on top of that, many of us JAs on the mainland (myself included, and mainland meaning not-Hawaii) are half-something-other-than-japanese, which puts our qualifications as Japanese-Americans into question.

So you're pretty much out of luck Vegetable dude. Unless I decide that sociology and Asian studies aren't for me and I become crazy enough to start an animation studio, there won't be any "American Anime". If a way to change your race is developed and you're able adopt a different mindset from your probable WASP one, you just might be able to see it happen. And no, you can't become Japanese the same way Sean Connery did in You Only Live Twice. You can recruit some ninjas though.
PostTue May 31, 2005 12:02 am
Daikun

Obsessor

Post subject: Re: Can an american make anime?
Vegito1471 wrote:
I was wondering if an american can make anime exactly the same way as the japanese do without having to move to japan.

Pretty much all countries "make anime" the same way. They draw characters on several sheets of paper, and sometimes add in a little CGI when their arms get tired from holding a pencil all day.
PostTue May 31, 2005 2:53 am
Fodder

Obsessor

Post subject:
Well see this is a fine line. Lets take Teen Titans that uses a lot of anime cliche's. Sure written by americans but shipped overseas to get drawn. Does that qualify as american or asian?

Lets look at Batman Beyond and further back Batman:TAS. Both are american written but the animations done overseas again. Both were intended, Beyond far more so, to have the look and feel of Anime.

I can remember some american studios in the late 90's that were trying to do the style of an anime in a couple OAV's. Although for the life of me I cant remember the name of the movie. I just remember the company was in California which is no help.

Plus theres the flipside to this argument. Which is simply should we try to emulate their style. And the answer really is no. There is a reason that anime and manga are the way they are. And the american way of doing things wouldn't create the same thing. We had a defined style with Disney, WB, MGM starting in the 40's. But our modern attempts seem to be that we want to create new Pokemons.

Even some of our favorite newer cartoons are things like Animaniacs which are modern versions of the old Warner Brothers way of animation.
PostTue May 31, 2005 6:56 am
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Vegito1471

Frequenter

Post subject:
I want to draw anime as a career. What can I do?

Does anyone know how I can communicate with spookmonkey?
PostTue May 31, 2005 2:22 pm
Nobuyuki

Obsessor

Post subject:
My first recommendation would be to go to an art school with a solid animation department.
Also, read this and this.
It could prove to be a memorable adventure.
PostTue May 31, 2005 3:14 pm
Vegito1471

Frequenter

Post subject:
hey thanks. I hope I am successful but there will be obstacles and I will have an interesting journey
PostTue May 31, 2005 3:59 pm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Animation Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: