нет

Results
Polls

Votes: 764
Comments: 7

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Toonami Infolink: Forums

Toonami Infolink :: View topic - It's an anime Christmas, Charlie Brown!
Toonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerLToonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerL
:: Home :: Forum FAQ :: Search :: TDA Chat Room :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
It's an anime Christmas, Charlie Brown!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nobuyuki

Obsessor

Post subject: It's an anime Christmas, Charlie Brown!
Since I have the next 2 days off work, in the spirit of the holiday season, I started going through my anime collection looking for Christmas or Christmas-themed episodes. Here's what I've found:
Love Hina Christmas special (duh!)
Tenchi Muyo: The Daughter of Darkness movie
Oh, My Goddess! episodes 4 and 5
Irresponsible Captain Tylor, 2nd OVA, episode 4
Excel Saga episode 12
So, I thought I'd ask: what, if any, do you folks have in your collection?
PostThu Dec 19, 2002 5:54 am
Spookmonkey

Obsessor

Post subject:
does charlie brown christmas special count?

He's better than Pop-Rocks!
PostThu Dec 19, 2002 8:48 am
Nobuyuki

Obsessor

Post subject:
Hmm. I'll allow it (after all, it is animated), although I was more curious as to how many various Japanese depictions of the Christmas holiday there were.
I should have been more clear. Which is why I've only ever started 2 topics in either incarnation of the message board.
PostThu Dec 19, 2002 9:40 am
Chibi_Zero

Obsessor

Post subject:
I still need to get the LH X-Mas movie. The only I can think of is an OT video I have...would that count
PostThu Dec 19, 2002 3:24 pm
Nobuyuki

Obsessor

Post subject:
Chibi_Zero wrote:
The only I can think of is an OT video I have...would that count

You have to ask?! Shocked Wink
If the video footage is from a Christmas episode, or is set during Christmastime, it counts. I'm curious how many shows have Christmas in them.
PostThu Dec 19, 2002 5:31 pm
Aunubis

Post subject:
Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz, in the movie it is christmas or christmas eve I'm not sure wich one but I know its one of them and there is one or two scenes were they say that its Christmas.
PostThu Dec 19, 2002 5:38 pm
John_Bono_Smithy_Satchmo

Obsessor

Post subject:
Hey, that guy's back. Welcome back, that guy.
I don't have it, but I remember Big O having a Christmas special.
PostThu Dec 19, 2002 7:42 pm
Spookmonkey

Obsessor

Post subject:
I've found most xmas specials suck hardcore

PostThu Dec 19, 2002 8:24 pm
Chibi_Zero

Obsessor

Post subject:
Nobuyuki wrote:
Chibi_Zero wrote:
The only I can think of is an OT video I have...would that count

You have to ask?! Shocked Wink
If the video footage is from a Christmas episode, or is set during Christmastime, it counts. I'm curious how many shows have Christmas in them.

Well you see Mizuho giving Kei a gift and some other things you would do at Christmas. And the Video is called Snow Angel it's from The OT Music Collection(the Video uses orignal sences(sp?) not used in the series). As for Spook if you find most of them suck why did you post in this topic? As for Christmas in Japan I hear they really don't celebrate(sp?) but it seems to find it's way into many animes
PostThu Dec 19, 2002 8:45 pm
Spookmonkey

Obsessor

Post subject:
just my opinion after reflecting back on a ton of crappy xmas specials (most animated) I've seen is all. supose I could have said it a bit better, but no xmas special no matter where on earth can beat the charlie brown christmas.

and basicly japan just use xmas (as they don't spell it christmas) to exchange gifts if I remember correctly.

PostThu Dec 19, 2002 9:03 pm
Chibi_Zero

Obsessor

Post subject:
I'll have to check again but I think you might be right. I also recall hearing thqat they leave the presents in front of thier doors instead of under a tree. And ep 4 and 5 of Oh, My Goddess! are Chritmas themed? I gotta watch them again...maybe I'll buy them with x-mas money...
PostFri Dec 20, 2002 8:43 am
Zechs

Obsessor

Post subject:
Well, outside of that there aren't really any. Here's a little article about from AnimeNation's Ask John.

Q: Since Japan is mostly Buddhist and Shinto, I was just wondering why it is so popular for anime series to be made with Christmas themes if the anime series isn't made specifically for people other than Japanese viewers.

A: Actually, Christmas is not a major theme in anime. Relative to the total number of anime shows produced, only a tiny fraction of anime deals with Christmas. Off the top of my head, in the 40+ year history of anime, I only know of three shows that have "Christmas Specials": Love Hina, Crayon Shin-chan and Di-Gi-Charat, and the Crayon Shin-chan Christmas Special from several years ago had nothing to do with Christmas. It was simply an hour long episode broadcast on Japanese television around Christmas time.

Japan is not a Christian country and Christmas is not an official Japanese national holiday, but that doesn't mean that Japan doesn't celebrate Christmas. In America Christmas is traditionally considered the day to celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ. In Japan, Christmas is a Western holiday on which people exchange gifts. It has nothing to do with the birth of Christ. In Japan, Christmas is a holiday purely promoted and supported by the retail industry, not the religious community. This is very similar to the way the Japanese confectionary industry intentionally imported the American "Valentine's Day" holiday in 1958 and invented the "White Day" holiday in the 1960s in order to stimulate the sales of chocolate and other sweets. Christmas is popular in Japan simply because it's fun to celebrate and exchange gifts (Japan is partial to holidays, after all) and because the decorations and pageantry associated with Christmas are very attractive and pretty to look at.

PostFri Dec 20, 2002 5:06 pm
ToonamiL

Veteran

Post subject:
Spookmonkey wrote:
does charlie brown christmas special count?

If it's the one with the kids finding powers by just waving their hands up and down, then yeah.
PostFri Dec 20, 2002 5:16 pm
AdmiralGreer

Obsessor

Post subject:
Hmm...

Love Hina X-Mas
Initial D Third Stage
Initial D Extra Stage
Gundam 0080

Funny how things just seem to pop up in aime- 0080 almost slipped my mind.
PostSat Dec 21, 2002 3:33 am
Nobuyuki

Obsessor

Post subject:
AdmiralGreer wrote:
Hmm...

Initial D Third Stage
Initial D Extra Stage

Ooh, interesting. I knew about 0080 and Big O, but I don't own either of them. Cool
And:
Chibi_Zero wrote:
And ep 4 and 5 of Oh, My Goddess! are Chritmas themed?

Set during Christmastime, Keiichi's working odd jobs to buy Belldandy a gift (no more info, spoilers) Wink
PostSat Dec 21, 2002 3:51 am
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Toonami All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: