нет

Results
Polls

Votes: 764
Comments: 7

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Toonami Infolink: Forums

Toonami Infolink :: View topic - You’re never too old to toon in
Toonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerLToonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerL
:: Home :: Forum FAQ :: Search :: TDA Chat Room :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
You’re never too old to toon in

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Animation Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andromaton

Obsessor

Post subject: You’re never too old to toon in
By Tabitha Nutter

FROM “SpongeBob Squarepants” to the classic “Looney Tunes” and everything in between, Nicholas County students say they still enjoy watching cartoons. And why not? Cartoons are entertaining, aren’t they?

Senior Megan Brown believes cartoons can affect the type of person you are. “I love to watch cartoons every Saturday, Sunday and even before I go to school,” she said. “It makes me a better person with a great personality.

“My favorite cartoons are ‘Tale Spin’ because I have watched it since I was a little girl, and ‘SpongeBob’ because he is funny and stupid, and it makes me laugh,” she added.
- advertisement-

Junior Amber Johnson also hasn’t given up the cartoon habit entirely. “I sometimes watch cartoons with my nephews, but I don’t watch them nearly as much as I used to,” she said. “Scooby-Doo is still definitely the bomb, though.”

Even though teens still watch cartoons, over the years their tastes may have changed. Some cartoons students watched when they were little just don’t have the same effect now. On the other hand, the old cartoons may be all students want to see.

“I still have a few favorite cartoons that I watch,” junior Joe Hellems said. “ ‘Tom and Jerry’ is my favorite. It’s a classic that never gets old. There are cartoons that people have watched as kids that they will always enjoy.”

Senior Megan Swager agreed. “My taste in cartoons is still the same as when I was younger,” she said. “I just don’t like the new cartoons.”

If teens don’t still enjoy the cartoons they liked as children, there must be something with the new ones that gets them to tune in. New cartoons mean new characters and new activities. This may be the one reason teens still turn to Cartoon Network, the Disney Channel and Nickelodeon.

“I watch action cartoons or cartoons designed for people such as myself at my age,” junior Michael Dorsey said. “I don’t watch animated shows for small children or cartoons that are educational. I think the people who make a series of cartoons usually keep in mind the audience that will be watching them.”

He added that in addition to the action, suspense, drama and comedy of cartoons, there are other things that keep teens interested.

“We like cartoons with an ongoing story that lasts week to week. We like characters and storylines that seem real, not cheap and flaky ones.”

Like Dorsey, sophomore Erica Collins pointed out that many cartoons today are intended for diverse audiences.

“The animation has been improved to suit different age groups. The humor is different, the drawing style is different, the types of characters are different, and the way they talk and the things they do are different,” she said.

Collins still watches cartoons, but her tastes have evolved.

“I watch cartoons because they entertain me when there is nothing else to do. I like the humor in the type of cartoons I watch. My taste has changed a lot since I was young. I started out watching Bugs Bunny and Mickey Mouse and ended up watching ‘Invader Zim’ and ‘Ren and Stimpy.’”

While tastes may change, not all teens believe cartoons have done the same.

“I don’t think cartoons are very different,” senior Tavia Hanshaw said. “I’m 17, and my brother is 8. Even though there is an age difference, we still get the same amount of entertainment from watching the same cartoon. My favorites are ‘SpongeBob’ and ‘Tom and Jerry.’

“The cartoons are all fun,” she added. “They let teens go off in their own little world, so they aren’t always dealing with the stress of growing up. I remember when I was a child, Saturday mornings for me were always dedicated to only watching cartoons. Nowadays, there are numerous amounts of channels that contain cartoons 24/7, so it just isn’t as exciting anymore.”

Sophomore Shaina Backus said one reason she tunes into cartoons is to feel like a kid again. “I watch cartoons because I’ll never grow up. I’ll always be a big kid,” she said.
PostSat Dec 27, 2003 10:50 pm
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Beefy

Obsessor

Post subject:
...And animated shows are more entertaining than reality TV and awards shows.
PostSun Dec 28, 2003 12:05 am
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Zechs

Obsessor

Post subject:
I find it odd and almost refreshing, how they never actually mention Japan or anime in any way.

That article actually gives a really good definition of people who watch cartoons without getting to specific or risk getting into the Jap vs. USA controversy. That also allows it to appeal to a much larger audience.
PostSun Dec 28, 2003 12:48 am
Kalma

Veteran

Post subject:
What does it say? I'm too lazy to read it.

"If you people cared as much for human life as we do, we wouldn't have to kill all of you."
PostSun Dec 28, 2003 2:42 am
counterparadox

Obsessor

Post subject:
Kalma wrote:

Twit. Read it. Educate yourself by reading things.

Zechs: There shouldn't BE a Japan VS. American controversy. Neither is better. Both are aimed at their culture, at what sells in thier nation.

I like how Zim was mentioned though. Damn you Nickelodeon. You kill everything good and breathe life into crap.

Play City of Heroes/Villians? Look me up, Pinnacle server, @C Paradox
PostSun Dec 28, 2003 1:05 pm
Kalma

Veteran

Post subject:
counterparadox wrote:
Kalma wrote:

Twit. Read it. Educate yourself by reading things.

Zechs: There shouldn't BE a Japan VS. American controversy. Neither is better. Both are aimed at their culture, at what sells in thier nation.

I like how Zim was mentioned though. Damn you Nickelodeon. You kill everything good and breathe life into crap.

So, is Zim the good or the crap?

"If you people cared as much for human life as we do, we wouldn't have to kill all of you."
PostMon Dec 29, 2003 4:04 am
ToonamiL

Veteran

Post subject:
So George Bush is okay watching Spongebob and is not considered a kid? True.

[quote="counterparadox"]
Kalma wrote:

True. Nickelodeon kills every good show beforehand. Zim was the coolest, Angry Beaver was second, and Rocko...well, that was the creator's decision.
PostMon Dec 29, 2003 10:03 am
Nobuyuki

Obsessor

Post subject:
Good article, but too bad it's not a scientific study. I'd be interested in a 20-year follow-up, to see if or how their tastes have changed over time.
PostMon Dec 29, 2003 2:02 pm
Andromaton

Obsessor

Post subject:
Nobuyuki wrote:
Good article, but too bad it's not a scientific study. I'd be interested in a 20-year follow-up, to see if or how their tastes have changed over time.

I think it would be an interesting study to survey an entire elementary school, a middle school, high school, and a small college (around 1-2 thousand students) on this subject. It would take a lot of time and energy to tally up the information though.
PostMon Dec 29, 2003 3:20 pm
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
counterparadox

Obsessor

Post subject:
Nobuyuki wrote:

True. But that means we'd have to wait 20 years for the results. I'm not that patient. Damn car-toons and m-t-v have shortened my attention span. Hell, I won't remember this article in a month, let alone . . . caryy the 1 . . . 240 months.

Play City of Heroes/Villians? Look me up, Pinnacle server, @C Paradox
PostMon Dec 29, 2003 9:41 pm
Goldfinger2K

Obsessor

Post subject:
yeah i loved angry beavers and rocko.
that is all.

peace
"Toonami, better than getting kicked in the nuts!"-me
"If I was so inclined, I would have groped you five times!"^O^hohohohoho!-Vash
PostSat Jan 03, 2004 2:09 am
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Animation Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: