нет

Results
Polls

Votes: 764
Comments: 7

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Toonami Infolink: Forums

Toonami Infolink :: View topic - Robot Chicken - Thoughts After The First Episode (Spoilers)
Toonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerLToonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerL
:: Home :: Forum FAQ :: Search :: TDA Chat Room :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
Robot Chicken - Thoughts After The First Episode (Spoilers)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Robot Chicken Forever?
YES.
100%
 100%  [ 15 ]
No.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 15

AngelHedgie

Post subject: Robot Chicken - Thoughts After The First Episode (Spoilers)
First off, there be spoilers in this thread. In other words, if you haven't seen Robot Chicken yet, tread further only if you want to have the first episode ruined for you. The rest of you, hop in!

Okay, very short review: Robot Chicken owns you. Period.

Longer review:

I've been looking forward to the premiere of Robot Chicken ever since I saw the first promo. Something about watching classic characters and shows from my childhood modified in zany ways tickled my funny bone utterly. (As opposed to Loonatics, which makes me find my inner psychopath.) Well, I saw the premiere, and how can I put this...it was better than I had hoped. Much better. And it seems that Seth "Scott Evil" Green is out to prove that sacred cows make for deliciously juicy sacred hamburgers.

Mmmm...sacred hamburger.

It seems that the setup for the show is that of channel surfing, albeit on a television showing some of the most twisted programming ever aired. This allows for the show to be made of a set of clips of varying lengths. This is a Good Thing, as it means a gag can be made as long or as short as the gag necessitates, instead of having to stretch something that has only 2-3 minutes of funny into 15 minutes. It also justifies having all sorts of different gags, as the viewer flips channels.

The animation is stop-motion, done with action figures, a la Action League NOW! Unlike the classic Nicktoon short, however, the creators of Robot Chicken use modeling clay to allow the figures in the clips to express emotions and speak. Animation is really fluid and well done. Very impressive technically.

Opening:
The opening is the only "not on TV" segment of Robot Chicken. It starts when a Dr. Frankenstein clone finds a freshly roadkilled chicken outside his lab, and proceeds to bring it home and upgrade it into a half chicken, half robot cyborg. Then, said robot chicken is strapped into a chair, eyes held open, and forced by the good doctor to watch a bank of monitors. At this point, the opening credits end, and the channel surfing begins.

Short Clip #1 - G.W.B. Taco Ad
Pretty simple, we see a G.W.B. flightsuit doll walking down a mockup of the walkway outside the West Wing, approving the message that, yes, tacos rule. A quick throwaway gag, it could have had more bite.

Grade: C - had potential, but didn't use it.

Short Clip #2 - "Kill Bunny" Teaser
This one is pretty subtle, as all we see is Santa fall down a chimney, and then get a picture falling on him. But if you've watched some of the cards on [as], you know that there's an upcoming clip called "Kill Bunny", which involves Santa, the Easter Bunny, and Jesus all in a parody of Kill Bill. Consider this a very subtle teaser for that clip.

Grade: C- - way too esoteric, unless you watch [as] religiously.

Medium Clip #1 - Rachael Leigh Cook Anti-Drug PSA, Redux
This, ladies and gentlemen, is the clip that said to me that Robot Chicken will be something special. Not just because of the content, but because of the care in how it was executed.

For those of us old enough to remember, there was a famous anti-drug PSA back in the 1980s that showed an egg (This is your brain), a skillet (This is drugs), and the egg broken into the skillet, frying (This is your brain on drugs. Any questions?) In the late 1990s, that PSA was revised into one of the more memorable PSAs - the new version featured actress Rachael Leigh Cook taking a skillet and smacking an egg with it on the countertop, then trashing the apartment as a metaphor for the damage done by heroin to a person's life beyond their body.

Long setup, I know. But it's important because you need to understand that this clip, at least initially, mimics the original PSA in perfect detail. The set is identical. The figure looks just as Cook did in the original PSA. And the voice of the figure? Why, it's Cook herself voicing it. When this clip starts, it initially looks as if it's a perfect rendition of the original.

Of course, things rapidly take a turn into the surreal, as the Cook figure proceeds to smack a cat into the wall, slam the skillet on an old lady's head, destroy a mailbox and a minivan, fungos a poor puppy over a house with the skillet, beats on three cops trying to stop her, and finally, after scaling a building and screaming "Any questions!" while hanging from the facade, slams the skillet into her face, launching herself off the building. All while screaming about how drugs are evil.

After I saw this, I started laughing hard - because this was an utterly perfect lampoon of a classic over the top PSA, with a true eye for detail. And that made me realize that Robot Chicken was good for the animation fan's soul.

Grade: A+ - Well done, perfectly skewering the original with an eye for detail and a walk into the surreal. Probably the best clip of the night.

Short Clip #3 - Bad Teletubby.
A Teletubby smokes. Mainly just bizzare, but after the previous clip, it doesn't even cause a second look.

Grade: B- - More surreal than anything, but it works.

Medium Clip #2 - Today, On A Very Special Episode Of Transformers...
Okay, who here remembers how sitcoms of the 1980s and 1990s would have "very special" episodes about sex or drugs or whtever else was the hotbutton concern of the day?

(looks at raised hands)

Well, what better way to lampoon those "very special" episodes then with a "very special" episode? And let's use one of the iconic series of the 1980s to do it with! And thus, we have a "very special" episode of Transformers.

When the episode begins, it seems that the fearless Autobot leader, Optimus Prime, is having issues with urination. Whether it's battling Decepticons or showering with the guys, it seems that Prime needs to pee all the time. So after recieving a rectal exam by Ratchet, he learns the bad news - he has prostate cancer, and it's terminal. We then see Prime in a hospital bed, saying his fond farewells, befor passing on (and transforming one last time into a coffin.) The clip ends with the classic "hi, this is a serious problem, and here's what you can do about it" segment that would always follow these "very special" episodes, with Prime pushing people to get regular prostate exams. (Hmm...you know, this might just work as a PSA for the geek crowd in a few years...)

Grade: A - Funny, and a bit surreal. (How the hell would Prime piss, anyway?)

Short Clip #4 - The World's Most One-Sided Fistfights Caught On Film
Guys slugging amputees. Jocks clocking nerds. Thieves sealing candy from babies, then beating on them. Sounds like Seth got a sneak peek at the Fox fall lineup.

Grade: B - You just know that somewhere, this actually exists.

Short Clip #5 - Oz
This clip is cheap, simple, and telegraphed a mile away. But it's so short, it works. Scarecrow gets shanked, spills straw, collapses in prison. Easy, cheap, and funny as hell.

Grade: B - Too cheap for anything higher, too funny for anything lower.

Short Clip #6 - Torch Sees A Urologist
Again, a telegraphed joke, but this time, it's not as funny. Even a surprise appearance from Optimus Prime can't save this clip.

Grade: D - Oz works because of the conflation. This doesn't.

Medium Clip #3 - X-SPAN
What would happen if you crossed C-SPAN with MTV? While this is somewhat funny, the joke's been done before (C-SPAN: Too Hot For TV, anyone?) This one, along with the Torch clip, are probably the weakest clips in the show.

Grade: D - Sorry, but retreaded jokes only go so far.

Short Clip #7 - Huh?
I'm sorry, but I have no clue about what this is. If someone could tell me, it would be appreciated.

Grade: ? - Don't understand it, can't grade it.

Main Clip - Bloopers
The main clip of the episode is a parody of the classic Bloopers show that used to air on NBC (and which NBC hauls out every so often when they need cheap filler.) As such, it's made up of a bunch of smaller "outtake" clips:

Outtake 1: Don't Trust The Chinese, Not Even Their Animals
Bloopers would often air outtakes from newscasts, and that's what we first get here, as a reporter has some concerns about being too close to a panda. Thought his boss is telling him to not worry, he quickly learns that discretion is the better part of valor.

Outtake 2: Malfunctions With The General Lee
Seems the Duke boys have some problems getting into the General Lee, as one slides off the hood, bounces off the hood, then the other gets stuck in the window as the General Lee is driven off, gretting him with a nice mailbox to the head. Good times.

Outtake 3: X-Files Screen Tests
Well, if you had to replace David Duchovny, who would you pick? Somehow, I don't think Keanu, Mr. T, or Corky would be high on my list.

Outtake 4: Drunk Superman
Now, we're getting into "caution: may provoke lawyers" territory. Basically, what we see is a spoof of an old Superman serial where the actor playing Superman is completely wasted. But when you consider the problems that the actor playing Superman at that time had in his life, well...his estate may not find this all that humorous.

Outtake 5: Those Are Definately Diff'rent Strokes
Again, it's probably not a good idea to taunt lawyers. Gary Coleman's not exactly someone I would say had a normal upbringing, but at the same time, he's not someone I would say is a sexual deviant either (he's a virgin, after all.)

Outtake 6: When Pokemon Can't Take It Anymore
Continuing the theme of "let's see how far we can taunt the legal profession", we have a clip showing Squirtle getting fed up with his lines. I think he was channeling Charles Barkley, considering his comments.

Outtake 7: Enterprise 1, Kirk 0
Okay, this clip is a bit tamer, as we get to see the Enterprise beat Kirk senseless via the bridge door. That first blow made me (and any other male watching) cringe in pain, however...

Outtake 8: It's Not Easy Being Cylon
Cylons falling down, over and apart, among other abuses. Somewhat funny, but a bit uninspired.

And with that, our host then asks us to come back, and promptly hangs himself. Bizzare.

Score: A- - The outtakes are really hit or miss.

Overall, Robot Chicken impressed me. I can't wait for next week's insanity, and neither should you.

Best line from a Cartoon Cartoon: "Sometimes love hurts, Pud'n. And I love you very much."
PostMon Feb 21, 2005 11:37 am
Chibi_Zero

Obsessor

Post subject:
I must say i loved it. the Anti- Drug PSA and Transformer parts were the best imo
PostMon Feb 21, 2005 2:12 pm
ToonamiL

Veteran

Post subject:
Loved it. I love the fact that they made a parody of the old anti-drug commercial WITH Rachael Leigh Cook actually reprising the role again. I was trying to hold my laughter in (my dad was asleep), but it was difficult. Optimus was classic, Bloopers (especially the Star Trek one) was hillarious, and 'World's Most One-Sided Fight Caught on Film' kept it going. CN and Seth Green's first attempt at a sketch-comedy (well, if you exclude BPTBSSB) show works for me.

BTW, Seth MacFarlane did a wonderful job as the "On The Hunt" news reporter.
PostMon Feb 21, 2005 3:11 pm
Daikun

Obsessor

Post subject:
I loooooved the intro! It was crazy and awesome!
PostMon Feb 21, 2005 6:56 pm
Fodder

Obsessor

Post subject:
Now that im sitting here absorbing it all somehow the squirtle thing is what i find funny
"There gonna get the gas"

But if this is just episode one think about where we could go with it? It usually gets better from here.

I thought the corky thing might have been over the top. But who am i to decide. Other then that I was LMAO at the parts you were as well. As a kid who remembers that PSA her little rampage brought back one of those little moments of my past i had forgetten. At first im thinking "OMG a cat and puppy?!" But then that was the point to make you think. But her rant about the Herpes and such was classic.

The Cylon thing ran way to long. And the bloopers thing was a little long as well. But seeing the transformers as jocks in a shower somehow makes the world a better place.

Its got some great potential. Oh and great review btw. I deleted it from tivo to go back and remember what the missing sketch was
PostMon Feb 21, 2005 8:06 pm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
just

Veteran

Post subject:
I loved Robot Chitcken!! The best part was when the lady started hitting people with the frying pan. That was hilarious.
PostTue Feb 22, 2005 11:54 am
Fodder

Obsessor

Post subject:
Actually as my brain starts to tick over. The original frying pan PSA. Wasnt that the guy who ended playing Malcom in the middles dad who did that? Or am i hallucinating from lack of sleep.
PostTue Feb 22, 2005 12:52 pm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
dougisfunny

Obsessor

Post subject:
i don't think so...
The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
PostTue Feb 22, 2005 1:22 pm
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Fodder

Obsessor

Post subject:
Good i thought i was hallucinating. Glad you think im not.
PostTue Feb 22, 2005 1:25 pm
ToonamiL

Veteran

Post subject:
Fodder wrote:
Actually as my brain starts to tick over. The original frying pan PSA. Wasnt that the guy who ended playing Malcom in the middles dad who did that? Or am i hallucinating from lack of sleep.

Nope, it was a girl and I believe it was Rachael Leigh Cook.
PostTue Feb 22, 2005 4:58 pm
Fodder

Obsessor

Post subject:
She did the second one. There was an original eggs PSA. Time to google
PostTue Feb 22, 2005 9:51 pm
AngelHedgie

Post subject:
Well, episode 2 of Robot Chicken, "Nutcracker Sweet" has aired. And if you thought that the first episode was good...well, episode 2 goes further, and pisses off more people in 15 minutes than most networks do all week.

First, I thought I would share with you Robot Chicken's official bio:

Quote:
Robot Chicken - Robot Chicken led a boring life of clucking, pecking, and scratching on Old Man McLauchlin's farm until its untimely death on highway 9W. Ressurected by a mad scientist, Robot Chicken now spends its every waking moment sampling brainnumbing television and wishing for death.

Well, Robot Chicken's suffering is our gain, so let's get started!

Short Clip #1 - I Love Seth Green
A setup for a later clip, it just shows a girl imagining a relationship with Mr. Green. We'll grade this on the second part.

Short Clip #2 - Giraffe vs. Train
Pointless violence. Gotta love it.

Grade: B - Mmmm, sweet pointless violence.

Short Clip #3 - People Who Are Glass Bowls...
You know, I always wondered how the hell the Kool-Aid Man could take such hard hits, as he was a glass pitcher. Guess this clip clears that up.

Grade: B- - Mmmm, kool-aid.

Medium Clip #1 - Voltron Got Served
I think we all knew that our classic Toonami shows were to be skewered (after all, the Robot Chicken promo includes shots of a redneck Lion-O), but I don't think we thought it would be this soon. When a space station is under attack, they call on the help of the Voltron Force - but the team isn't quite prepared for an all out hip-hop battle. But as always, good triumphs over evil, even if evil has better moves. Deinately bonus points for Blue Lion coming out of a cake, as well as making Pidge into an oversexed, smack-talking jerk ("Who's laughing now, biotch?"). And of course, you had to love the cry of "Voltron, Represent!"

Grade: A+ - I was laughing posterior appendages off over this one.

Short Clip #4 - I Love Crazed Russian Dictators
Okay, here's the payoff for short clip #1. Same plot, but replace Seth with Stalin. Freaky.

Grade: B - This is really, really twisted. Amazingly, it's not the most twisted clip, though...

Short Clip #5 - Loose Utensils
Honestly, this clip confuses me. Basically, meh.

Grade: C - meh.

Short Clip #6 - Evil Barney
This clip is even more confusing, but I think it helps reinforce how we look at Barney...

Grade: C - We knew that Barney is evil...

Main Clip - Secrets Of The Animal Kingdom
The main clip this week is a set of three vignettes about the lives of animals:

Vignette #1 - The Mongoose - Nature's Assassin
Well, I don't think this was a theory the Warren Commission explored...

Vignette #2 - The Hyena - Nature's Asshole
You know people that are human hyenas, right? Always laughing at the misfortune of others and making them suffer? Yup, thought so.

Vignette #3 - The Lemming - Nature's Retard
This posits an interesting question - does the lack of anything remotely resembling a self-preservation instinct make one a retard, or just inherently suicidal?

Grade: A - These are pretty funny takes on animals.

Short Clip #7 - Silicone Barbie
This is called "stating the obvious".

Grade: D - The weakest clip of the night, IMO.

Short Clip #8 - Biblical Playground Games
Pattycake, pattycake, bible man. Make me a religion as fast as you can. Moses and Jesus playing pattycake is pretty funny.

Grade: B+ - Hey, anything to tweak the fundies.

Short Clip #9 - Quiddich Accident
All I'm going to say is "ouch". That's going to leave a mark on Harry.

Grade: B - Cringingly funny.

Now, before I continue with the next clip, I'm going to have to say that there are things that a smart, sane person wouldn't do as a matter of self-preservation. Things like, say, stepping on Superman's cape. Or urinating on an electric fence. Or provoking a company with a horde of genetically engineered Carnivorous Mutant Attack Trial Lawyers on speed dial.

Well, nobody ever said Mama Green's boy was smart. Or sane. Which is why we have -

Medium Clip #2 - Walt Disney Must Feed On Cubans!
As everyone knows, Walt is next to the frozen peas and carrots, or is he? As this clip shows, Walt, upon his death, was made into an abomination in the eyes of God - a monsterous merging of man and machine with an insatiable hunger for the flesh of Cuban children! And it would have remained a secret, if it was not for Mecha-Walt catching a glimpse of sweet, tender Elian Gonzalez on TV. The result is that Walt engages on a journey to Cuba to devour the young boy - but can Fidel stop the insane cartoonist's swath of destruction?

Grade: A+ - You know, to Eisner, this means war.

Short Clip #10 - How Mail Is Lost
Come on - I know you suspect this is what happens...

Grade: C+ - Eh, too easy.

Short Clip #11 - Baby Vampires 4 Sale
Aww, don't you want one of those cute bloodsuckers? You know you do.

Grade: B- - Cute, yet bizzare.

Short Clip #12 - A Logical Conundrum
Can't use door A, can't use door B. What should you do?

Grade: B- - Fun, for those of us who like logic puzzles.

Medium Clip #3 - An Ode To The Nut Shot
It's a rhapsody of racking, a sonata of scrotum squashing, a harmony of hurt! Thrill to nut shots accompanied by the 1812 Overture! (Or cringe in pain, if you're a male...)

Grade: A- - FedEx was right - nut shots are funny.

Overall impressions for the week: Well, it was good, but I don't think poking Disney with a sharp stick was the brightest thing to do in retrospect.

Best line from a Cartoon Cartoon: "Sometimes love hurts, Pud'n. And I love you very much."

Last edited by AngelHedgie on Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:18 am; edited 1 time in total
PostMon Feb 28, 2005 1:03 pm
Fodder

Obsessor

Post subject:
Concerning clip 5 -

The knife ran off with the spoon. Remember the fairie tale? Thats the joke
"Do you have contracteption"
"hehee no"
And they walk into a motel

The voltron served thing was ok. But i thought it went way way to long. Green lion humping blue was funny. And where blue lion hides when not fighting evil was even funnier.
GO Robeast Go Robeast WHOOP WHOOP

6 - Believe it or not. Not all kids love barney. And thats how Parents think of him.

The mongoose - So thats who was on the grassy knoll

The hyena though was funny "So single?"

Now whers my Kill Bunny?!!! We saw Jesus again but no movie!
PostMon Feb 28, 2005 7:49 pm
Beefy

Obsessor

Post subject:
Fodder wrote:
The knife ran off with the spoon. Remember the fairie tale? Thats the joke

I thought it was "the dish ran away with the spoon".
But, what do I know? I can barely remember yesterday.

I did like Harry Potter's broom accident, "Please use other door" / "Do not enter", and vampires for sale.
PostMon Feb 28, 2005 10:50 pm
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Daikun

Obsessor

Post subject:
ELLLLLLIIIAAAAAAAAAN!!!
PostMon Feb 28, 2005 11:05 pm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Adult Swim All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: