нет

Results
Polls

Votes: 764
Comments: 7

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Toonami Infolink: Forums

Toonami Infolink :: View topic - How you met anime
Toonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerLToonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerL
:: Home :: Forum FAQ :: Search :: TDA Chat Room :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
How you met anime
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BebopDeathGod

Post subject:
I used to watch anime before i knew it was anime. Everything that came on Kids WB and Fox Kids. Dragonball before it came on Toonami, Voltron and some other shows that I vaguely remember. My friend kept telling me about this show called Dragonball Z that he would watch on Toonami while he was in another town. In our town we didnt have Cartoon Network until the second airing of gundam wing (If i remember correctly). I really got into Gundam, Outlatw Star and sorta into DBZ. Then after a few years of toonami I accidentally discovered Adult Swim during its third week while trying to tape midnight run one thursday night. I saw Cowboy Bebop episode five and thought it was the coolest thing that i had ever seen.

I know that im going on past how i discoverd anime but i just feel like telling my anime life story.

While searching for The Cowboy Bebop opening online I discovered TDA. I wanted to join the message board but this was during one of the new member ban periods. I kept coming back untill I could finally join and after that my interest in anime skyrocketed. I began buying and watching and renting and developed a great interset and apriciation for anime.
PostTue Feb 25, 2003 7:45 pm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Ludwika

Frequenter

Post subject:
My brothers were the ones who thus shoved anime into my life for good, ever since I was the tender age of eight. Around that same time, which was approximately around the late 80s early 90s, every Saturday night a little chubby Asian dude on public access television by the name of Ben Dunn would introduce a half hour segment of anime. Mostly just a bunch opening themes and a couple of hentai here and there...you know that stuff obliterates the mind of a child? Well, finally the first series to watch was Battle of the planets and another anime called Boah.
PostWed Feb 26, 2003 2:11 am
Nobuyuki

Obsessor

Post subject:
Ludwika wrote:
every Saturday night a little chubby Asian dude on public access television by the name of Ben Dunn would introduce a half hour segment of anime.

Ninja High School!! w00t! Very Happy
PostWed Feb 26, 2003 3:23 am
SlimJim

Veteran

Post subject:
One day when I was 9, I was flipping through the channels when I saw the first day of toonami. I had nothing else to do, so I sat there and let my brain mush. I didn't get it at first because I was an idiot back then. I saw G-force, voltron,, reboot, all that stuff. When I stopped being stupid(About the time they started showing Voltron) I though G-force sucked, voltron sucked, and all the shows on Toonami sucked except for one......If you can't guess what that is I have pity on you. I also though Moltar was awesome. It wasn't until to the MB on TDA that I learned what it was called...Anime. I was curious and decided to learn a bit more. I learned that it was from Japan(which kinda disapointed me, since they did the whole "pretend we are friends and then bomb pearl harbor in the middle of a peace conference" tthing.) And that it is very popular there. I also heard of such titles as Akira, Evangelion, Ghost in the Shell, and others. Pokemon and Digimon disgusted me, ronin warriors and Voltron I also hated. They were boring. DBZ kept me in though(Still at the point where I liked big explosions). Then..*Angels sing* Gundam Wing*Angels stop singing* THAT'S what made me unterstand more about Anime. Now I know that most Anime involves love, multiple women and acts of Fan-Service, big explosions, and the ocaisional giant mecha. We now have the Gundam W box set and Endless waltz on DVD(Or should I say Gundam Freak has those...remember him?) And GF still collects models. Me, I watch them every once in while. Bac kat the MB, I was learning more basics of Anime. I learned that there are about 15 Gundam Series, and that Gundam W wasn't the best. There was an Anime that kept poping up over on the MB...Evangelion. I was curious about that for a long time. I had heared that it was not for kids, so I couldn't get it(I was 13 at the time). GRW was my ticket. Skipping many things, we come to last week. I saw Evangelion for the first time. I quickly got on Kazaa and downloaded two episodes...only to find they don't work. I trashed them and then realized I needed DivX Shocked And got mad that I deleted those episodes. Now I have episodes 1 and 10 of Evangelion, and I am downloading Nadesico 1-6 as we speak. That's my Anime expirience right there.
PostSun Mar 02, 2003 5:42 pm
Spookmonkey

Obsessor

Post subject:
You people speak of anime as if you found jesus sleeping in your tree house. It's not that special. It's not that epic of a discovery. Especially since none of you (ok, 99%) will never do anything with anime beyond watch it, you won't go out and create more, you won't go better the american studios with the basic core of anime beliefs, all it has done for you is give you something new to watch.

He's better than Pop-Rocks!
PostSun Mar 02, 2003 5:46 pm
stFalcon5

Frequenter

Post subject:
dougisfunny wrote:
stFalcon5 wrote:
<---- You don't wanna know.

Why am I guessing La Blue Girl?

Why, indeed. That says alot about your own perversion.
PostSun Mar 02, 2003 7:40 pm
Zechs

Obsessor

Post subject:
Spookmonkey wrote:
You people speak of anime as if you found jesus sleeping in your tree house. It's not that special. It's not that epic of a discovery. Especially since none of you (ok, 99%) will never do anything with anime beyond watch it, you won't go out and create more, you won't go better the american studios with the basic core of anime beliefs, all it has done for you is give you something new to watch.

True, but I don't think it's the actual shows that make it so enjoyable to discover. It has more to do with the subculture and fandom that goes along with it.
PostSun Mar 02, 2003 10:23 pm
CollegeBum

Frequenter

Post subject:
I was watching anime before I even knew what anime was. I remeber seeing Robotech when it first aired in American, I think I was three. GI Joe I was addtided to for God knows how long, I still have my toys some where.
Then there was a dead periode of time. My brother started watching SCI- FIs Saturday morning anime. I called him weird for watching it, and missed out on some of the most kick ass anime movies(still kicking self) Then one Saturday morning I got up early and I turned it on my old local Fox Station, and I saw DBZ thats what really got me into anime. Then Gundam opened my eyes to how good anime could be. Cowboy Bebop just blew my mind away.

Thats what it is all about!
PostSun Mar 02, 2003 11:39 pm
Spookmonkey

Obsessor

Post subject:
Quote:
I was watching anime before I even knew what anime was.

And it was better that way. It was entertainment at its purest then.

PostMon Mar 03, 2003 3:43 am
Mith

Post subject:
This girl was like "Hey dude!" and I was like "What?" and she was like "Check this out," and I was like "ok," then we watched Toonami and I was all like "wholy fricken ducktape, that kicked ass!!!" and she was all like "I know"
PostMon Mar 03, 2003 4:16 am
Spookmonkey

Obsessor

Post subject:
and I was all "Yeah whateva!" *random guitar sounds follow* "Because this is my united states of......" If you know the reference then you'd know why it fits.

PostMon Mar 03, 2003 2:11 pm
Force-Attuned_Krogoth

Obsessor

Post subject:
I remember the Saturday Sci-Fi anime. I only got to watch it twice, but I now remember how enthralled I was with Green Legend Ran. I didn't understand Galaxy Express 999, but I was twelve, and I've forgotten all about it since then.
PostTue Mar 04, 2003 7:37 pm
Thricsis_TS

Post subject:
I remember this... For me it all started wayyy back when I was a little boy. You see, my dad LOVED Akira and he had a copy of it. I remember watching it when I was little and getting scared when those freaky numbers would come one. *shivers* He had a bunch of other "old school" anime as well. I remember when he bought Ninja Scroll... He wouldn't let me watch it so one time I took it while they were gone and told the babysitter that I watch it all the time. hehe
Thrice, From Autumn To Ashes, Alkaline Trio, Remembering Never, Something Corporate, Letter Kills, On The Might Of Princes, You And I, Shady View Terrace, Feeling Left Out, Further Seems Forever, Kind Of Like Spitting, Stars Are Falling, December, Time Sp
PostMon Mar 10, 2003 5:50 pm
Aunubis

Post subject:
ToonamiL wrote:
Brothers. Ronin Warriors. Syndication. End of Story.

Amen to that, same story here
PostMon Mar 10, 2003 6:04 pm
JKyle

Veteran

Post subject:
Grade school. Before Toonami was around.

I turn to the scifi channel at 1:30am to catch Tetsuo deliver the very missed "There's your damn doctor's pass!" line from the original Akira dub, and blow the guy's head up.

My eyes pop out of my head. I begin staying up at all hours and waking up as early as possible to catch anime on scifi. A-Ko, 999, lots of good stuff.

Woke up too early one Saturday morning. Turn to Fox at 5AM and I see DBZ and Sailor Moon. I watch both religiously until they disappear without a trace. Not long after that, Toonami starts up.

I watch on and off, only coming on board full time when they bring Wing in. Why? Because I heard it's the "Japanese Star Wars" and I'm tiring of American Star Wars.

Years later and I'm here, defending Inu-Yasha's dub (slang is good when you're trying not to sound pretentious!) and anxiously awaiting Trigun.
PostSun Mar 16, 2003 1:47 pm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Toonami All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: