нет

Results
Polls

Votes: 764
Comments: 7

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Toonami Infolink: Forums

Toonami Infolink :: View topic - Garfield returns!
Toonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerLToonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerL
:: Home :: Forum FAQ :: Search :: TDA Chat Room :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
Garfield returns!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AdmiralGreer

Obsessor

Post subject:
Out of curisoity, what IS it about Calvin & Hobbes that everyone likes?

I've read it, but just can't figure it out.
Question Question Question Question
PostSat Nov 23, 2002 6:19 pm
Spookmonkey

Obsessor

Post subject:
counterparadox wrote:
Right now, Fox Trot, Zits, and Non Sequitor are the best strips currently in production. (Fox Trot and Zits have each had little tributes ot C&H, btw.) And yes, I do have a large amount of respect for Schultz. Over 50 years, by himself. That takes a lot. But I enjoy reading C&H more, and the artwork is better, I think at least. So on priniple, I would put Schultz and Waterson dead even (Shultz did put out merchandise, and the merc. is typically drawn by a studio), but overall I think Waterson comes out ahead.

I really do agree, but one thing I['m really suprised about is how much respect the studio's and other people put into the peanuts. They were/are merchandised out, but schultz never sold out. Peanuts is probably the best handling of an artists property I've ever known.

He's better than Pop-Rocks!
PostSat Nov 23, 2002 6:26 pm
counterparadox

Obsessor

Post subject:
AdmiralGreer wrote:
Out of curisoity, what IS it about Calvin & Hobbes that everyone likes?

I've read it, but just can't figure it out.
Question Question Question Question

Multiple things. First, Calvin is just this 6 year old kid, yet he uses words that most 20 year olds don't know (Like 'weltanshuuang', which is a word, btw (Spelling might be off by a few letters)), yet he gets bad grades in school. His imagination is incredibly vivid, from his alter egos Stupendous Man, Spaceman Spiff, and Tracer Bullet, to his cardboard box that goes from being a transmogrifyer to a time machine. Calvin's a trouble maker. Plain and simple. But his antics are phenominal. (I've thought about starting my own chapter of G.R.O.S.S.)

Hobbes is the perfect yin to his yang. But Calvin is the only one who considers him alive. Waterson never distinguishes, even in his own mind, whether Hobbes is really alive or not.

Aside from that, the artwork is incredible for a comic strip, and the humor is dead on. Plus it's just crude enough (Waterson is quite possibly the first person ever to use the word 'booger' in a comic strip.) to be realistic. I wish I had been Calvin.

Plus, his Snowmen are just stupendous. Simply, stupendous. In my opinion, the best strips are the ones with the Snowmen.

Oh, and Spook, you're absolutely right. Just thought I'd say that.

Play City of Heroes/Villians? Look me up, Pinnacle server, @C Paradox
PostSat Nov 23, 2002 8:22 pm
John_Bono_Smithy_Satchmo

Obsessor

Post subject:
Why does no one ever mention Drabble, The Duplex and Get Fuzzy. Those strips are half the reason I read the Sunday comics. (The other half is the other strips mentioned here.)
PostSat Nov 23, 2002 11:04 pm
Spookmonkey

Obsessor

Post subject:
because none of the good papers have those backwoods hole-in-the-wall redneck dirty dirty vegas strips.

PostSun Nov 24, 2002 1:11 am
Force-Attuned_Krogoth

Obsessor

Post subject:
Wait a minute . . . has nobody mentioned Dilbert? I am shocked and appalled!

If you can overlook the terrible artwork, Dilbert is hilarious. In fact, it could almost stand alone without the drawings. Only rarely is a joke more visual than conceptual. And the conceptual stuff is, on the average, great.
PostSun Nov 24, 2002 1:45 am
Zechs

Obsessor

Post subject:
It was funny for a time but after they horribly failed with the TV show, it's sort of gone down the tube.
PostSun Nov 24, 2002 10:23 am
counterparadox

Obsessor

Post subject:
Dilbert's pretty good. I'd put it right behind Fox Trot, Zits, and Non Sequitor.

And for some reason, I don't find 'Get Fuzzy' that funny.

PostSun Nov 24, 2002 10:51 am
John_Bono_Smithy_Satchmo

Obsessor

Post subject:
Hmm, we don't het Non Sequitor here. Oh well. And hey, Dilbert's still funny. And the show was hilarious.
PostSun Nov 24, 2002 1:55 pm
Gerbera345

Post subject:
I like Dilbert quite a bit but my one true love is that of The Far Side, sure no two strips ever linked but damn it was funny.
PostSun Nov 24, 2002 2:31 pm
Daikun

Obsessor

Post subject:
Gerbera345 wrote:
I like Dilbert quite a bit but my one true love is that of The Far Side, sure no two strips ever linked but damn it was funny.

Yeah. I LOVED The Far Side. I think this is possibly the first comic strip to actually cuss on the Sunday funnies and get away with it. The humor is totally off-the-wall and had me laughing for hours. I also liked the animation style. It was truly bizarre and the way Gary Larson (the creator) drew the characters' eyes made them look like they were closed, and they always had nearly-blank expressions on their faces.

The spinoffs of the strip (Close Home, Ballard Street, and the sports-oriented In The Bleachers) are kinda good in a sense, but they just don't catch the original vision enough. It's like they're missing something in their formula. I can't put a finger on what it is, but I know it's definitely something other than curse words...
PostSun Nov 24, 2002 9:09 pm
AdmiralGreer

Obsessor

Post subject:
What about Funky Winkerbean and For Better or For Worse? Both of those have been around forever- and while thery're not always funny, the overall story tends to be good.

Funny thing though- there aren't that manny FW books out there.
PostMon Nov 25, 2002 3:44 am
counterparadox

Obsessor

Post subject:
The Far Side rocked. And what other strips like it lack is just being weird. Like when Far Side had a teenage cow that wore a leather jacket for the 'shock value'. It just had things you would NEVER think of.

PostMon Nov 25, 2002 3:54 pm
Spookmonkey

Obsessor

Post subject:
counterparadox wrote:
The Far Side rocked. And what other strips like it lack is just being weird. Like when Far Side had a teenage cow that wore a leather jacket for the 'shock value'. It just had things you would NEVER think of.

Larson went to crazy places of the animal/human psyche. I loved it.

PostMon Nov 25, 2002 9:10 pm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Toonami All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: