нет

Results
Polls

Votes: 764
Comments: 7

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Toonami Infolink: Forums

Toonami Infolink :: View topic - Anime with best character development
Toonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerLToonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerL
:: Home :: Forum FAQ :: Search :: TDA Chat Room :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
Anime with best character development
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Animation Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andromaton

Obsessor

Post subject:
Anime in turn lives in our universe. Everything must be relatable in one way shape or form. There is cause and effect here and in anime. The japanese do not show the cause, they might reference it briefly once or twice but that's it. To trully connect with a character you must be able to do so on an emotional level, something deeper than "yeah, I hate it when people do that too! go get em!". There are a few exceptions to this in anime, but not many.

The japanese do produce many more cartoons aimed at older audiences than american studios do, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be held up to the standards of good storytelling. Just look at Witch Hunter Robin. We are 4 episodes into it and don't know jack shit about any of the characters. We get to see how they react and interact but we don't know why, we don't know any of the thought process behind their actions. I do love this series, but only for it's art direction and style.
PostSun Feb 22, 2004 3:04 pm
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tri_GUN_damwing

Frequenter

Post subject:
SURE WE DO! That computer dude explained what the collar was. You just must understand one thing. This is the fact that Japanese people are different from American people. Therefore they do things differently. Instead of explaining the characters right from the start, they break it up to make it more mysterious and suspenseful, or wait till the end. This not only makes it more interesting by itself, but it also makes it more fun to watch a second time.

For instance, Trigun. In the episode "Murder Machine," where the gang first meets Wolfwood, there is a part where Wolfwood runs out of ammo when he is about to shoot a machine in front of Vash. Then, another machine pops up right in front of him. Suddenly, you hear a machine gun or something. Then the machines are obliterated, and you see vash standing with his back turned and smoke around his arm. First time you watch it its like "what the heck?" Second time you watch it, you know, because you find out later in the series that Vash has a gun in his arm.

I prefer the way the Japanese do it. You can't say there is no character development or that they just make it seem like the characters have a purpose behind their actions. There is character development, just on a different level. This level of development is one of the things that makes Anime great. I do admit that there are some loose ends in some Anime, but, mostly, in those cases it doesn't matter.

Sorry about how long that was. And by the way, "whats-her-face's" name is Rem. Sheesh!
PostSun Feb 22, 2004 3:16 pm
Andromaton

Obsessor

Post subject:
Too lazy for response needed, I'll do it some other time.
PostSun Feb 22, 2004 3:36 pm
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
EMOrox_TS

Post subject:
aaaaahhhhhhh... feels good to be back.

Yes, the way japanese people do it is better, the whole "find out in the future" theory is great, good thinking. That complements your aurgument quite well. I think most of the shows listed here have great C. D. so I have nothing more to say about it...

Now on to us, the lazy, sorry-ass americans... You notice how you keep on saying "how the japanese do it"? Well of course thier way is better, I mean come on.... Most of the **** we make is all just bull****, poor animation, dull storyline (if any), and plot holes all over the place... Take like ed, edd, and eddy (for lack of better example...) We don't even ****ing know thier parents... You know why? Because parents = more story to deal with. So let's see here... We know one of them has a sister and is very stupid, one is smart and has a bad haircut or something, and one is a greedy little ****. We really don't know much more about them. Japanese people are more serious about what thet do, add and when you actually care about the quality of your project, it will always be better. Although japanese people do make animation for profit, there is a level of joy as well. Across the seas, however, 98% of everything we see is slapped together so fast, you could miss the main character's name for ****'s sake...

Ok, I'm done...
PostSun Feb 22, 2004 5:01 pm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Tri_GUN_damwing

Frequenter

Post subject:
I agree pretty much. Except for with the example. They made edd ed and eddy like that because they wanted it to be a kid domain, where there were no problems with parents or regulations. They didn't not put parents in because they were too lazy too have new plot lines, they didn't put parents in because they didn't want other plot lines to influence the kid kingdom. And whats with all the bleeps? Say it, or don't say it at all! No muffling!

And you better type a response, Mr. Lazy. I want to see what you have to say about my argument which took me a half an hour to piece together, write, and revise. And by the way, thanks for being lazy. Lazy is king. Very Happy
PostSun Feb 22, 2004 6:03 pm
Nobuyuki

Obsessor

Post subject:
Tri_GUN_damwing wrote:
Except for with the example. They made edd ed and eddy like that because they wanted it to be a kid domain, where there were no problems with parents or regulations. They didn't not put parents in because they were too lazy too have new plot lines, they didn't put parents in because they didn't want other plot lines to influence the kid kingdom.

Just like Peanuts.

Quote:
And whats with all the bleeps? Say it, or don't say it at all! No muffling!

And again with the Peanuts references... Wink

Oh, and Japanese animation n.g.t. American animation
PostSun Feb 22, 2004 6:12 pm
Tri_GUN_damwing

Frequenter

Post subject:
I would reply if I knew what "n.g.t." means.
PostSun Feb 22, 2004 6:16 pm
kenshin590

Post subject:
Ruronuni Kenshin for me i cant wait every time its on to see a fight .
PostFri Mar 26, 2004 7:40 pm
kenshin590

Post subject:
Tri_GUN_damwing wrote:
I would reply if I knew what "n.g.t." means.

ya me 2
PostFri Mar 26, 2004 7:41 pm
Andromaton

Obsessor

Post subject:
kenshin590 wrote:

ya me 2

*cringes*
PostFri Mar 26, 2004 10:29 pm
kenshin590

Post subject:
wtf is wrong with you what did i ever do to you
PostFri Mar 26, 2004 10:30 pm
Andromaton

Obsessor

Post subject:
I have nothing against you except for your seeming complete lack of spelling.
PostFri Mar 26, 2004 10:34 pm
kenshin590

Post subject:
i know i pointed that out to you before i thought i stink at spelling
PostFri Mar 26, 2004 10:36 pm
Andromaton

Obsessor

Post subject:
right, but I really hate the internet appreviations for short words more than a word that is misspelled.
PostFri Mar 26, 2004 10:37 pm

Post subject:
i know half of them i dont understand but is a littebit quicker to use them than typing out the whole word
PostFri Mar 26, 2004 10:39 pm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Animation Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: