нет

Results
Polls

Votes: 764
Comments: 7

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Toonami Infolink: Forums

Toonami Infolink :: View topic - The Simpsons: Anyone still care?
Toonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerLToonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerL
:: Home :: Forum FAQ :: Search :: TDA Chat Room :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
The Simpsons: Anyone still care?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Animation Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How do you feel about "The Simpsons" right now?
Liked it earlier, like it now...
33%
 33%  [ 5 ]
Liked it earlier, don't care for it now...
53%
 53%  [ 8 ]
Disliked it earlier, like it now...
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
Never cared for it, then or now...
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 15

JJc14

Obsessor

Post subject: The Simpsons: Anyone still care?
[note: if you need a gouf option, hit "never cared for..."]

i've been a huge simpsons fan since i first started watching the show thursday nights back during its third season (woulda been earlier, but my folks originally bought into that "bart simpson influence" hype and banned it for a while)...throughout the early and mid-'90s, it was nothing but one classic after the other, and i was loving every minute of it, watching more reruns than any person really should, and basically memorizing entire episodes worth of quotes and trivia...

around the late '90s, things appeared to taper off a bit: yes the show was still funny, but the substance felt lacking...i shrugged it off as them just having some minor difficulties with script ideas, as any show would stutter a bit after 150+ episodes...i continued to roll with the punches, hoping my patience would be rewarded with a return to greatness...

it was last season when i started truely slipping...for the first time ever, i wasn't catching every premiere episode...watching repeats no longer felt like a "must", as there were enough recent episodes mixed in now for me to consider doing other stuff during that time...it's gotten worse this year as i've seen only one episode from the current season, and with my local fox splitting the usual "back to back" simpsons by putting "king of the hill" inbetween, i end up watching the first repeat and neglecting the second...

most people will say that the quality of the show has gone downhill, and i agree with that, but it almost feels like the entire show is not what it was before...maybe i'm just getting older and my tastes for humor and entertainment have changed, but i still enjoy the older episodes, and i plan to buy at least the next few seasons on dvd...

i dunno where i'm going with this, and the fact that i can't really put into words what i'm trying to convey doesn't help either, but i guess i just wanna hear what you guys have to say on the matter...is anyone else going through a similar transition with how the show is now?
PostSun Dec 07, 2003 6:17 pm
counterparadox

Obsessor

Post subject:
The episodes of the past 3 seasons fit a formula. Any show that has a formula is gonna suck. South Park sometimes makes FUN of it's formula, which makes it good. Simpsons is getting predicatbly unpredictable. It has gone downhill, it's not just you.

Play City of Heroes/Villians? Look me up, Pinnacle server, @C Paradox
PostSun Dec 07, 2003 9:42 pm
Daikun

Obsessor

Post subject:
Liked it earlier, don't care for it now.

The Simpsons just isn't what it used to be anymore. It's now just a shadow of what used to be a great show. The first 8 seasons were solid comedy gold. Every season after that just got progressively worse. The jokes were being poorly recycled and the plots became more overused. Nowadays, I can't watch even a full episode without turning off the TV part-way through.

I gave up watching The Simpsons 1 or 2 years ago. I'm just sick of it now.

Last edited by Daikun on Sun Dec 07, 2003 11:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
PostSun Dec 07, 2003 10:13 pm
Andromaton

Obsessor

Post subject:
the humor of the simpsons has changed as its writers have changed. That's not to say its entirely a bad thing, but it does mean, well, change. The mroe I watch some of the new episodes the more I like them. No, I don't mean as the season goes on, I mean watching an episode multiple times. It's much quicker paced now, with different timing comes different jokes. I would be more than willing to bet that if you watched the series from beginning to end in one (relitively) straight shot you wouldn't really notice that much of a change between the seasons. Why? because the change has been progressive.Compare the season 4 or 5 episodes to season one, VERY different in every aspect-- the jokes are different the timing is different, everything is different.

The Simpsons isn't everybodies cup of tea, never was. As you change so does the show, it doesn't mean you change in the same direction.
PostSun Dec 07, 2003 11:08 pm
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JJc14

Obsessor

Post subject:
Andromaton wrote:
the humor of the simpsons has changed as its writers have changed. That's not to say its entirely a bad thing, but it does mean, well, change.

i agree fully, as i still find myself chuckling at parts of newer episodes...

Andromaton wrote:
The mroe I watch some of the new episodes the more I like them. No, I don't mean as the season goes on, I mean watching an episode multiple times.

this seems to be my biggest issue, as i'm having the exact opposite effect...the "replay value" of the bulk of episodes from the past five years have been about zero, as they'll be enjoyable the first time and boring the next...perhaps it's a perspective thing, or maybe my expectations haven't changed as the series has done...

Andromaton wrote:
I would be more than willing to bet that if you watched the series from beginning to end in one (relitively) straight shot you wouldn't really notice that much of a change between the seasons. Why? because the change has been progressive.Compare the season 4 or 5 episodes to season one, VERY different in every aspect-- the jokes are different the timing is different, everything is different.

very true, as it seems most people were able to pick up on this change years ago while with me it's been more recent of a realization...

Andromaton wrote:
The Simpsons isn't everybodies cup of tea, never was. As you change so does the show, it doesn't mean you change in the same direction.

guess that's something i'll just have to deal with...

i'm not ready to fully give up on the show, but i'm hoping that somewhere there are a few high-quality scripts in storage for whenever the powers that be decide to end production...last thing i wanna see is "the simpsons" to just fizzle out, but i have a bad feeling that's exactly what's gonna happen...
PostMon Dec 08, 2003 8:12 pm
Andromaton

Obsessor

Post subject:
Quote:
this seems to be my biggest issue, as i'm having the exact opposite effect...the "replay value" of the bulk of episodes from the past five years have been about zero, as they'll be enjoyable the first time and boring the next...perhaps it's a perspective thing, or maybe my expectations haven't changed as the series has done...

No, I thinkyou miss understood exactly what I meant. Wha tI mean is that I have the tendancy to not like the episode at first and each time I see it (through reruns or whatever) it grows on me more and more. It's not that I choose to rewatch the episodes specificly. It's more I just give them another chance.
PostMon Dec 08, 2003 8:54 pm
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
John_Bono_Smithy_Satchmo

Obsessor

Post subject:
I care so little anymore, I haven't even read this thread.
PostMon Dec 08, 2003 10:08 pm
Zechs

Obsessor

Post subject:
Nope, havn't found myself watching it, or Fox sunday's for that matter in months.

Main reason is the main TV is sattelite and parents wont pay the extra 5$ to get the local channels. So to get them I'd have to go watch the Cable TV in the other room.

King Of The Hill is still worth watching, simpsons is past it's prime.
PostTue Dec 09, 2003 11:30 am
BebopDeathGod

Post subject:
In my opinion The Simpsons has been on a steady decline for quite some time now. Although it has had a couple good episodes as of late.
PostTue Dec 09, 2003 4:22 pm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
JJc14

Obsessor

Post subject:
Andromaton wrote:
Quote:

No, I thinkyou miss understood exactly what I meant. Wha tI mean is that I have the tendancy to not like the episode at first and each time I see it (through reruns or whatever) it grows on me more and more. It's not that I choose to rewatch the episodes specificly. It's more I just give them another chance.

i understand what you mean now...perhaps it'd be in my best interest to sit down and rewatch the repeats of recent seasons with the right frame of mind, accepting the change the show has undergone rather than clinging to my old perceptions...

i still enjoy the bulk of the comedy sequences, so i guess the sacrifice of substance isn't the end of the world...
PostTue Dec 09, 2003 6:53 pm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Animation Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: