нет

Results
Polls

Votes: 764
Comments: 7

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Toonami Infolink: Forums

Toonami Infolink :: View topic - Anime with best character development
Toonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerLToonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerL
:: Home :: Forum FAQ :: Search :: TDA Chat Room :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
Anime with best character development
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Animation Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rycel

Frequenter

Post subject:
If I may play the cryptic for the moment...

If anyone here has ever taken a serious creative writing class or read a book on the subject, I hope they'll back me when I say this: all characters in all stories are the same. Yes, I realize that this is a rather cynical and jaded point of view, but it's true. Characters in any story are drawn from various archetypes that have been around for centuries, it's simply a matter of mixing physical characteristics with the desired motivation to produce a character. If I may be so stereotypical, just look at Star Wars (the old ones). The characters, storyline, and even all the plot twists just scream archetypical if you scrutinize them. No matter how one tries, one simply cannot create, at the most basic level, an original character.

That being said, the emphasis of a storyteller should then not to try and over-embellish a character with backstory to make them seem deep or important, but to emotionally involve the audience in the character. If you can make the audience really care about what happens to a fictional person, you've done your job. It's not about whose background is more convoluted, but who you care the most about.

Saying this, I'd have to say that the Gundam series, the UC timeline in particular, is the most involving. The characters are "everymen" swept away by somethuing that is greater than any of them. This connection is arguably the best kind for an audience, since it could just as easily be any one of us in the same situation.
PostFri Jan 30, 2004 10:51 pm
John_Bono_Smithy_Satchmo

Obsessor

Post subject:
And that's why Azumanga Daioh is teh win. I cried harder than Chiyo-chan when they graduated.
PostFri Jan 30, 2004 11:47 pm
Tri_GUN_damwing

Frequenter

Post subject:
Rycel wrote:
If I may play the cryptic for the moment...

If anyone here has ever taken a serious creative writing class or read a book on the subject, I hope they'll back me when I say this: all characters in all stories are the same. Yes, I realize that this is a rather cynical and jaded point of view, but it's true. Characters in any story are drawn from various archetypes that have been around for centuries, it's simply a matter of mixing physical characteristics with the desired motivation to produce a character. If I may be so stereotypical, just look at Star Wars (the old ones). The characters, storyline, and even all the plot twists just scream archetypical if you scrutinize them. No matter how one tries, one simply cannot create, at the most basic level, an original character.

That being said, the emphasis of a storyteller should then not to try and over-embellish a character with backstory to make them seem deep or important, but to emotionally involve the audience in the character. If you can make the audience really care about what happens to a fictional person, you've done your job. It's not about whose background is more convoluted, but who you care the most about.

Saying this, I'd have to say that the Gundam series, the UC timeline in particular, is the most involving. The characters are "everymen" swept away by somethuing that is greater than any of them. This connection is arguably the best kind for an audience, since it could just as easily be any one of us in the same situation.

I agree with this. All characters are mirrors of recent characters that existed in other shows, books, etc. This is also true of story lines. However, the thing that really matters to me is that these characters are still well enough developed to have a captivating story. Although characters may be the same as other ones, its how their "creators" use them. I know this is a rather modern analogy, but to me its like someone creating an engine for a video game and a bunch of people using it to make their own games. Eventually a really great game is going to come out of that engine, despite the fact that countless people have used it. Thats how it works, at thats what matters- an old character made different to fit the story that its placed in.
PostSun Feb 01, 2004 6:05 pm
Ixidor

Veteran

Post subject:
This is true... But how do we get new charaters? Nowadays it seems that templates are used in shows and books than when they where created... I think this is what seperates the good and the mundane... Azumanga has very unquie charaters and thats why it stands out.
PostSun Feb 01, 2004 8:34 pm
Zer0

Post subject:
Character development is a tricky subject. I do think one good example is Trigun. For the main reeson of Vash becoming more open to his own thoughs and philosophy. At the beginning he is consumed with Rem and her beleifs. And at the end he says that he will look to her for guidance but he will follow his own thoughts from now on. You really gotta watch the series to understand. Wink
PostTue Feb 03, 2004 9:30 pm
Tri_GUN_damwing

Frequenter

Post subject:
Zer0 wrote:
Character development is a tricky subject. I do think one good example is Trigun. For the main reeson of Vash becoming more open to his own thoughs and philosophy. At the beginning he is consumed with Rem and her beleifs. And at the end he says that he will look to her for guidance but he will follow his own thoughts from now on. You really gotta watch the series to understand. Wink

Yeah, I do think Vash had great character development, but I didn't post Trigun as the series for best character development for onhe reason: Millie and Meryl. That could be considered two actuallly... But anyway, they have quite bad character development. I suppose there wasn't much history for the characters, but they could have been a little better.

And by the way I don't think its mundane if templates are used as long as they are used in the right way.
PostWed Feb 04, 2004 7:14 pm
John_Bono_Smithy_Satchmo

Obsessor

Post subject:
Oro? I thought Milly was a very deep, if simple character. We always saw that she was a highly principled woman, who lived by said principles.
PostThu Feb 05, 2004 12:19 am
dougisfunny

Obsessor

Post subject:
Ixidor wrote:
This is true... But how do we get new charaters? Nowadays it seems that templates are used in shows and books than when they where created... I think this is what seperates the good and the mundane... Azumanga has very unquie charaters and thats why it stands out.

templates, or stock characters are used in certain types of stories as they help to present a point better. It just depends on the style of writing...
if you want new characters, make one each character is different as much as they are the same...just like each person is the same and different.
PostThu Feb 05, 2004 11:51 am
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tri_GUN_damwing

Frequenter

Post subject:
John_Bono_Smithy_Satchmo wrote:
Oro? I thought Milly was a very deep, if simple character. We always saw that she was a highly principled woman, who lived by said principles.

Don't get me wrong, I loved her character. I just thought there wasn't enough history. And again, there wasn't much history to draw on, but I just didn't think she was the greatest character as far as depth goes.

Quote:
templates, or stock characters are used in certain types of stories as they help to present a point better. It just depends on the style of writing...
if you want new characters, make one each character is different as much as they are the same...just like each person is the same and different.

Agreed. This is a subject that you can't reallly be persuaded about either way though. You just have your opinion.
PostThu Feb 05, 2004 8:13 pm
crinoalvien124

Post subject:
well oddly enough...im kinda thinkin inuyasha...it seems to havea good deal of subtle character stuff but whatever

with rurouni it seems a lil overplayed(not to say it isnt a good show)
eva they are truly odd
PostTue Feb 17, 2004 10:26 pm
Kalma

Veteran

Post subject:
Eva is the same as everything else, crino.

Shinji (Early): Quiet and aapologetic.
Shinji (Later): Insane and wants kil kill everyone (He reminds me of Knives).
Rei: Always follows orders, even those that could end her life.
Auska: Has to be number one.
Misato: Drunk and smart.
Ritsuko: Smart and logical (Spock, anyone?).
Kaji: Secret Agent Man!

See, now find other caracters in other works that are like these.

"If you people cared as much for human life as we do, we wouldn't have to kill all of you."
PostWed Feb 18, 2004 4:11 am
crinoalvien124

Post subject: yeah
alright heres one

hellsing-

ceras victoria-queit apologetic...later on pissed off and in love with alucard

intergra hellsing-wants things done her waythe second she asks...then understanding but strict

walter- smart and logical...killer that is

incognito-kinda takes on the secret agent man

alucard- hasta be #1...well he is #1 so i guess it all works out
PostWed Feb 18, 2004 12:41 pm
Andromaton

Obsessor

Post subject:
right, but what makes hellsing have good character development? anime leaves its character development to the manga. They blatently tell you what you need to know about the character and rush you off to the next all important event in anime.
PostWed Feb 18, 2004 3:49 pm
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tri_GUN_damwing

Frequenter

Post subject:
Not if there is not manga. And also, this fact makes it more appreciated when anime does have good character development. Besides, there are quite a few mangas I can think of where the character development isn't any better than in the anime. Such as Inu-Yasha. So there.
PostWed Feb 18, 2004 4:46 pm
Andromaton

Obsessor

Post subject:
alright, I take back what I said. The Japanese straight out don't believe in character development.
PostWed Feb 18, 2004 4:51 pm
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Animation Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: