нет

Results
Polls

Votes: 764
Comments: 7

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Toonami Infolink: Forums

Toonami Infolink :: View topic - Disney's doing something....
Toonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerLToonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerL
:: Home :: Forum FAQ :: Search :: TDA Chat Room :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
Disney's doing something....
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spookmonkey

Obsessor

Post subject: Disney's doing something....
After reading this on Animation Blast I just HAD to share it with you people. Well not you over there reading this in the corner, but the rest of you.

Disney Does Something Right For Once. Disney has announced that they are producing an updated feature-length version of "The Sorcerer's Apprentice" segment from FANTASIA. My only response is "Well, it's about time." I was just thinking the other day how woefully outdated that entire sequence in FANTASIA has become. Some purists might complain that the film is a classic and you can't touch it. Classic, my ass. I mean, c'mon Mickey Mouse has to use brooms and buckets to clean up his castle. Who uses brooms and buckets in the 21st century? We need a new version that'll showcase Mickey using all the modern castle-cleaning technologies at his disposal, like a vacuum cleaner, or if this new version happens to take place in Los Angeles, Mexican housekeepers.

It's been reported that the new APPRENTICE will use a combination of CG and real-life images. Good! Nobody wants to see any more of that old-fashioned squash-&-stretch animation. Freddie Moore and his appealing drawing may have been cute to primitive Forties audiences, but I'd like to think we're a little more advanced in 2003. Let's get some beautifully grotesque SHREK-style computer animation into this new version, the kind where over-rendered CG characters can disappear into over-rendered backgrounds. And the characters damn well better float and slide across the screen; I don't want to see that outdated animation where you can actually feel the character's weight as he moves around. Bill Tytla, Les Clark, Preston Blair, Ed Love? Sure their animation on the original "Sorcerer's Apprentice" had expressive drawing, clear staging and exquisite timing, but that's all old-school. Today's animation should be stiff as a board and lacking vitality, and characters should move smoothly and evenly to show off the incredible capabilities of the computer, just like Disney exhibited in their recent masterpiece DINOSAUR. And when Mickey starts to drown in the new APPRENTICE, that water better be photorealistic like those impressive water sequences in SPIRIT: STALLION OF THE CIMARRON. Sure, Ugo D'Orsi's water animation in the original was imaginative and made use of intricate patterns and shapes, but who wants to see that artsy-fartsy crap when you can have realistic water. Animation isn't about being creative, dammit, it's about making me believe that I'm seeing real water up on the screen!

Aurally, the film is also in need of a desperate overhaul. The original "Apprentice" used some boring classical crap composed by Paul Dukas and conducted by Leopold Stokowski. Yeah, whatever. This new version needs to be hip and pleasing to the ears. Let's get a Justin Timberlake and J. Lo duet in there. Or maybe Avril Lavigne and Eminem could hook it up. Shaquille O'Neal gets my vote as the voice of Mickey Mouse and James Earl Jones will add loads of class as the voice of the Sorcerer. I'm drooling just thinking about all the tight possibilities.

I have complete faith in the creative team heading up this updated APPRENTICE. Rob Minkoff is going to direct, and he's a mad genius when it comes to combining CG and real-life images into one awe-inspiring package as he so ably demonstrated in the highly entertaining STUART LITTLE and the even more highly entertaining STUART LITTLE 2. He was also a co-director of THE LION KING, but even geniuses have their off days. I wish Mr. Minkoff was here right now so I could pat him on the back and tell him just how much faith I have in his directorial skills. The original "Apprentice" was based on a ballad, DER ZAUBERLEHRLING, written by some goofy German poet named Goethe. That long foreign title alone is enough to raise my suspicions that this Goethe may have been a terrorist. Too bad he's dead because otherwise the US military would have blown him to bits. Goethe's biggest accomplishment was something called FAUST, but that hardly compares to the accomplishments of our American friend David Berenbaum, who is the scriptwriter of this updated version. David recently wrote a film called ELF starring Will Ferrell...yes, THE Will Ferrell of SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE fame. Take that Goethe-boy.

I can hardly contain my enthusiasm for this updated SORCERER'S APPRENTICE. I'm just surprised it took Disney so long to come to their senses and realize how pathetic the original version of their film was. In fact, I hope they destroy all copies of the original "Sorcerer's Apprentice" so we never have to worry about that awful piece of tripe again. Only then will we be able to truly enjoy this new and improved SORCERER'S APPRENTICE. Go, Disney, Go!

He's better than Pop-Rocks!
PostSun Feb 16, 2003 1:55 pm
counterparadox

Obsessor

Post subject:
But . . . why update it . . . It's CLASSIC . . .

Play City of Heroes/Villians? Look me up, Pinnacle server, @C Paradox
PostSun Feb 16, 2003 8:22 pm
Zechs

Obsessor

Post subject:
*Sarcasm Meter explodes killing everything in a 30 mile radias*
PostSun Feb 16, 2003 8:45 pm
Nobuyuki

Obsessor

Post subject:
I thought they were going to hold off this announcement for another six weeks. Confused
PostSun Feb 16, 2003 9:30 pm
counterparadox

Obsessor

Post subject:
Actually Zechs, while that seemed very sarcastic, that's my actual view . . .

PostSun Feb 16, 2003 10:22 pm
Nobuyuki

Obsessor

Post subject:
I'm quite certain Zechs wasn't referring to you, CP. Rather to the general topic.
PostMon Feb 17, 2003 1:11 am
Daikun

Obsessor

Post subject:
NOOOOOOOOOOO!!! No way in Hell should they remake this classic masterpiece!

With today's audiences more politically correct and soccer mom-populated than ever (it just ain't the same like it was over 60 years ago; censorship was too overlooked back then), you know how this "upgrade" (more like a downgrade) is going to turn out. It's going to turn out just like all the other Disney direct-to-video cheapquels, or one of their rereleases: worse than the original. It's going to have brighter, happier characters (this is the thing I hate the most about Disney's sequels: they water them down to the point where they're just a bunch of mindless, cheery idiots), extra songs which are even more annoying than the original (no offense to the originals, which had pretty decent songs; it's just that the songs of the sequels are much lower-scale), worse voice acting, and chockfuls of unnecessary edits.

...That's why I'm willing to shell out my $207.50 ($7.50 for a ticket, $200 for a small popcorn) to go see it.
PostMon Feb 17, 2003 4:09 am
TylerL

Better Than You

Post subject:
It's Disney's way to "renew" their copyrights on all their old properties, I think.
PostMon Feb 17, 2003 9:31 am
Zechs

Obsessor

Post subject:
Nobuyuki wrote:
I'm quite certain Zechs wasn't referring to you, CP. Rather to the general topic.

*gives Nobu a cookie*
PostMon Feb 17, 2003 11:27 am
counterparadox

Obsessor

Post subject:
Man, I am so off track when I'm sick . . .

PostMon Feb 17, 2003 2:17 pm
Spookmonkey

Obsessor

Post subject:
TylerL wrote:
It's Disney's way to "renew" their copyrights on all their old properties, I think.

Well, they would never lose their hold on mickey, while the copywrite might expire, the fact he's also trademarked by disney and is actively used as a mascot lets them keep Mickey all to themselves. Goofy, Donald, Minney, ect though have no such luck.

PostMon Feb 17, 2003 3:34 pm
Daikun

Obsessor

Post subject:
That's kinda sad, don't ya think? Jeez. Companies can't hold the rights to their own creations. That must suck.
PostMon Feb 17, 2003 11:49 pm
Rycel

Frequenter

Post subject:
I would have posted my disgusted reply, except that I was killed in the Sarcasm Meter explosion. *whispers from off-stage* Ahem! My assistant has informed me that, since this is a Disney thread, I cannot be dead, as it would make their younger viewers cry and leave the theatre. Therefore, I hereby change my story from the fact that I was dead, to the fact that I was merely "sleeping."

P.S. *very deep inhaling lasting four seconds*
FAUST RULZ j00 ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!
PostTue Feb 18, 2003 12:31 am
Spookmonkey

Obsessor

Post subject:
people and things die in disney flicks. yeesh, they really like to kill off the villians. Actualyl they come up with some fairly creative deaths, while not violent and bloody, they usually are fairly grisley.

and that's the nature of copyright laws daikun. they have 90 years of sole creative use, then (if they haven't been trademarked) fall into public domain for the rest of the world to use (thus making fan sites legal. One day AOL Time Warner will lose the rights to Tom and Toonami and stuff and TDA will be completely legal.

PostTue Feb 18, 2003 2:59 am
Daikun

Obsessor

Post subject:
Spookmonkey wrote:
people and things die in disney flicks. yeesh, they really like to kill off the villians. Actualyl they come up with some fairly creative deaths, while not violent and bloody, they usually are fairly grisley.

Yeah, like Mufulsa. Do you honestly expect someone to be just merely "unconsciousness" or "in a coma" when they fall off a cliff and get trampled over by a stampede?

Although I hate to admit it, Disney got the right idea about death, unlike most other animation companies, who hardly touch the words "death" and "kill" with a 12-foot pole...and yet DISNEY is the one that the entertainment industry backlashes the most because it's the most kid-oriented of the companies!

Ironic, isn't it?
PostTue Feb 18, 2003 8:10 pm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Toonami All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: