нет

Results
Polls

Votes: 764
Comments: 7

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Toonami Infolink: Forums

Toonami Infolink :: View topic - Anyone study the Arts? Martial Arts that is.
Toonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerLToonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerL
:: Home :: Forum FAQ :: Search :: TDA Chat Room :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
Anyone study the Arts? Martial Arts that is.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Mindless/Worthless Drivel
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zer0

Post subject: Anyone study the Arts? Martial Arts that is.
I thought it would be nice to know if anyone here also studied any type of martial art? Seeing that this is a forum about Toonami and anime I figure someone has to be involved somehow. Well anyways, I have studied Kenjutsu (Kendo) for two years. But as of recent I have done more Iaido and Iaijutsu.

So how about you?
PostFri Feb 06, 2004 11:31 pm
Andromaton

Obsessor

Post subject:
I was about to post about my art training until I actually read your post. (I slightly clarified it) But I used to take some Taekwando and did a bit of Akido. In the long run I'd say nope can't say I do.
PostFri Feb 06, 2004 11:36 pm
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
WhtHawk

Obsessor

Post subject:
I studied Tae Kwon Do for about Three year and could of had my black belt if the dojo hadn't closed. I havn't spent much time since then, I've been too busy.
PostSat Feb 07, 2004 12:00 am
Zechs

Obsessor

Post subject:
I spent two weeks learning Karate during my Power Rangers phase. Ended up quitting cause they wouldn't teach us enough attacks.
PostSat Feb 07, 2004 7:52 am
John_Bono_Smithy_Satchmo

Obsessor

Post subject:
My mom wouldn't let me or my brother close to me in age learn karate because she thought it would lead to more fighting. Now that it could fit into my schedule, though, I could join one of the martial arts organizations on campus.
PostSat Feb 07, 2004 11:44 am
JJc14

Obsessor

Post subject:
i spent a little over a year learning karate back in fourth grade, but quit mostly due to other activities (i was juggling it with baseball, soccer, and basketball, and karate ended up getting the boot)...i remember flying through the first few belts, and i actually ended up representing the dojo in a regional tournament for my age group, which could sound impressive if not for losing in the first round...

looking back, i've kinda regretted the decision to stop, especially since i dumped the other sports by the end of grade school ("sports" i play now are golf, billiards, and a little tennis)...i'm hoping to eventually get back into some sort of martial art after college, though whether or not i can fully commit myself to it is another matter entirely...
PostSat Feb 07, 2004 8:06 pm
Zer0

Post subject:
It seems that alot of people here have quit practicing for some reason or another. And I just wanted to say, you don't have to join a dojo or become part of a group. You can practice on your own. Don't be constricted to other people's training.

I know a lot of people here love Cowboy Bebop. And the practice of Spike is that of Jeet Kun Do. Also, Bruce Lee studied jeet Kun Do. It roughly translates to the fluid like flow of ki through martial arts. Meaning you don't neccesarilly have to be "taught" any kind of martial art to practice it.
PostSat Feb 07, 2004 10:48 pm
CollegeBum

Frequenter

Post subject:
Well guess whos back....

I had to respond to this one.
When I got into College, I guess you could say I did some underground training. What I took was a combo was Karate, Grapling, Jukindo(sp?), and judo. Even know my instuctor graduated I still train as much as I can. My buddies and I still get togeather and spar every now and then.

Thats what it is all about!
PostSat Feb 07, 2004 11:46 pm
JJc14

Obsessor

Post subject:
Zer0 wrote:
It seems that alot of people here have quit practicing for some reason or another. And I just wanted to say, you don't have to join a dojo or become part of a group. You can practice on your own. Don't be constricted to other people's training.

I know a lot of people here love Cowboy Bebop. And the practice of Spike is that of Jeet Kun Do. Also, Bruce Lee studied jeet Kun Do. It roughly translates to the fluid like flow of ki through martial arts. Meaning you don't neccesarilly have to be "taught" any kind of martial art to practice it.

interesting that you mention that, because i've retained most of what i've learned and have been attempting a few basic self-defense exercises on and off for the last seven years or so...while most of it is nothing more than imitation of spike's and johnny cage's (via mortal kombat: deadly alliance) jeet kun do, it fits well enough into the basics of just about any technique...

for those wondering, from my experiences i can say that even imitating a technique such as jeet kun do requires exceptional balance, which is my primary reason for doing so (since i'm an avid rollerblader and balance is key)...eventually i plan to pick up a book and see if i can at least start a little bit of the actual technique on my own...
PostSun Feb 08, 2004 10:34 am
counterparadox

Obsessor

Post subject:
Bruce Lee didn't study Jeet Kun Do, he created it. As for Spike using it, I think it's apt for a few reasons. First, it fits his personality and is all around cool. Second, and maybe it's just me, but the name Spike makes me think Spike Lee, and then you have Lee, which makesy you think of Bruce Lee.

ANYway, I never took a martial art, but wish I had. Not just because I watch anime either. It'd be good to have my reflexes be much much better.

Play City of Heroes/Villians? Look me up, Pinnacle server, @C Paradox
PostSun Feb 08, 2004 2:37 pm
Zer0

Post subject:
Bruce Lee didn't create Jeet Kun Do. He wrote many many many papers on the philosophy behind it. And said many times he just adapted it, not created.
PostSun Feb 08, 2004 3:08 pm
Andromaton

Obsessor

Post subject:
Zer0 wrote:

Practicing on your own can be VERY bad idea. Well, let me sorta reiterate what I mean. Practicing what you've already learned it a needed activity if you are to get better with it. But trying to learn anything beyond what you know can lead to some serious injury as you do not know exactly what is involved with certain moves. I have seen a friend try something and nearly snapped his wrist off. Once you basicly reach black belt you know all the basics and twists and turns. Really only then should you start experementing and trying new things as (hopefully) by then you will know enough of what you are doing and will have enough control.

So telling people to go do martial arts without an instructor of anykind is not only dangerous but fucking stupid. Actually go ahead, do it. Kill yourself. Rest of us will be better off without you.
PostSun Feb 08, 2004 5:21 pm
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JJc14

Obsessor

Post subject:
Andromaton wrote:
Practicing on your own can be VERY bad idea. Well, let me sorta reiterate what I mean. Practicing what you've already learned it a needed activity if you are to get better with it. But trying to learn anything beyond what you know can lead to some serious injury as you do not know exactly what is involved with certain moves. I have seen a friend try something and nearly snapped his wrist off. Once you basicly reach black belt you know all the basics and twists and turns. Really only then should you start experementing and trying new things as (hopefully) by then you will know enough of what you are doing and will have enough control.

So telling people to go do martial arts without an instructor of anykind is not only dangerous but fucking stupid. Actually go ahead, do it. Kill yourself. Rest of us will be better off without you.

sorry androspook, but i gotta speak up here (which is odd, because i've only really clashed with beatdig(g)ga on this board before)...

one should always have a basic knowledge of the martial arts before doing anything on their own, and if you read zer0's sentence again, it was these people he was talking about (those who quit practicing)...anyone who attempts to do something completely outta their scope that could put themselves or someone else in serious danger is a moron, there's no way around that...

such stuff reminds me of all those idiots who blame wrestling for them seriously injuring another person, because last time i checked, it was THEM who performed the act and did the damage, not the television they watched it of...when a person re-enacts something they see without first seeking knowledge of it (which i believe just about every martial art begins with), they should have no right to push responsibility for their own actions on a third-party (wrestling, video games, movies, etc.)

as you can see, i agree with everything you said, but that last comment was completely uncalled for given the situation...i seriously hope you were saying something like that in jest, because i have yet to see anyone on this board even remotely deserving such a lashing...
PostSun Feb 08, 2004 7:46 pm
Nobuyuki

Obsessor

Post subject:
Andromaton wrote:
Practicing on your own can be VERY bad idea. Well, let me sorta reiterate what I mean. Practicing what you've already learned it a needed activity if you are to get better with it. But trying to learn anything beyond what you know can lead to some serious injury as you do not know exactly what is involved with certain moves.

All too true.
BTW, shooting is a martial art, though not the kind you had in mind.
PostSun Feb 08, 2004 9:09 pm
Zer0

Post subject:
What dosn't kill you makes you stronger. I don't practice "karate" or any self-defense martial art. If you even read my first post and know what Kenjutsu is, you would know that. It is the way of the sword. It's the art of killing with a sword. Anyone who is not mentally strong enough to practice martial arts shouldn't be.
PostSun Feb 08, 2004 9:43 pm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Mindless/Worthless Drivel All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: