нет

Results
Polls

Votes: 764
Comments: 7

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Toonami Infolink: Forums

Toonami Infolink :: View topic - Jobs to Eisner- "So long, & thanks for all the fish
Toonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerLToonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerL
:: Home :: Forum FAQ :: Search :: TDA Chat Room :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
Jobs to Eisner- "So long, & thanks for all the fish
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Animation Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nobuyuki

Obsessor

Post subject: Jobs to Eisner- "So long, & thanks for all the fish
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Pixar Animation Studios Inc. Thursday ended talks with Walt Disney Co. to renew a lucrative movie distribution deal that has resulted in such blockbusters as “Toy Story” and “Finding Nemo.”

Pixar, the pioneering computer animation house founded by Apple Computer Inc.’s Steve Jobs, said it would look for another studio partner to distribute its films starting in 2006, when its current deal with Disney expires.

Shares of both companies fell 6 percent after hours. Many observers had expected Pixar and Disney to eventually renew a partnership whose five movies since 1995 have earned more than $2.5 billion at the global box office.

The Pixar movies have accounted for a large share of Disney Studios’ operating profit in recent years. But Disney said Pixar’s final offer would have cost it hundreds of millions of dollars from its current deal which includes two more films in production — “The Incredibles,” set for release in November and “Cars,” due out in 2005.

The move was an unexpected blow to Disney, and chief executive, Michael Eisner, already under fire from an heir of founder Walt Disney. Disney’s nephew, Roy Disney, accuses Eisner of mismanaging the company that pioneered feature animation.

Analysts and investors said Pixar could be using its announcement as a negotiating tactic and observers did not rule out a resumption of talks.

“After 10 months of trying to strike a deal with Disney, we’re moving on,” said Jobs, Pixar’s chief executive.

“We’ve had a great run together — one of the most successful in Hollywood history — and it’s a shame that Disney won’t be participating in Pixar’s future successes.”

Disney Chief Executive Michael Eisner issued a statement wishing Pixar success.

“Disney management could not accept Pixar’s final offer because it would have cost Disney hundreds of millions of dollars ... under the existing agreement” without giving Disney enough return on new collaborations, the company said.

Pixar had been expected to close a new deal by the middle of this year but had said it would prefer to renew with Disney.

"It makes it look like Eisner did something wrong again, but we shouldn’t jump to conclusions. This could be a negotiating tactic by Pixar as well,” said Patrick McKeigue, an analyst at Independence Investment, which holds Disney shares.

“It’s not a happy thing when two long-time partners break apart and Disney, of course, will survive. However, psychologically, the market was hoping there would be an agreement shortly,” said Hal Vogel, a New York-based media analyst who runs Vogel Capital Management.

Other studios seen as contenders for a Pixar deal included Warner Bros., a unit of Time Warner Inc , Sony Corp , and 20th Century Fox, a unit of Fox Entertainment Group Inc.

A spokeswoman for Warner Bros. said the studio would welcome a deal with Pixar but there had been no formal talks.

Banc of America Securities analyst Michael Savner noted that by leaving Disney, Pixar would effectively give up rights to make sequels to its previous hits such as “Toy Story.”

The San Francisco Bay-area studio also runs the risk of setting itself up to compete directly at the box office with Disney’s future family-friendly offerings, Savner said.

“Disney could put out its movies at the same time as Pixar,” he said. Many investors had already assumed Pixar would get a much-improved deal, including on the two pictures in production, he added.

Staffing at Disney’s animation department has shrunk by more than 70 percent since 1997. The studio remains a major force in family entertainment and has charged into the field of computer animation on its own.

Pixar had complained that the terms of the distribution deal were tilted too heavily in Disney’s favor. Under the deal, Pixar was responsible for content, while Disney handled distribution and marketing.

In exchange, Pixar has split profits with Disney and pays the studio a distribution fee of between 10 percent to 15 percent of revenue.

Based on its blockbuster success, Pixar has argued that it should keep the profit itself and cut the fees its studio partner charges.
PostThu Jan 29, 2004 9:44 pm
Daikun

Obsessor

Post subject:
This is interesting news. Now that they no longer have to depend on Disney, do you think they'll make films where Disney's standards aren't necessary? Wink
PostFri Jan 30, 2004 3:02 am
dougisfunny

Obsessor

Post subject:
nope
PostFri Jan 30, 2004 12:09 pm
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Zechs

Obsessor

Post subject:
Wow, well I hate to say it but without Pixar Disney is going to lose an exhorbant amount of revenue.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Pixar's Finding Nemo made more money at the box office than Disney's last two traidiotnally animated films combined.

Disney's new strength seems to be their more recent live-action films. Their releases have been given more press coverage and generaly higher praise.
PostFri Jan 30, 2004 4:45 pm
wildarmsheero

Post subject:
I think Pixar will now have more creative freedom with this move, I can just see it now....

"OMG! Mommy! Did the cartoon person just say FUCK?"
PostFri Jan 30, 2004 5:32 pm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Andromaton

Obsessor

Post subject:
I have to reserve judgment on how Disney is going to do after the split. They just went 3d remember, we have yet to see anything that they can do. Pixar might be good but they don't have Glen Keane calling the shots and that my friends is a big deal.
PostFri Jan 30, 2004 6:51 pm
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Fodder

Obsessor

Post subject:
Well remember that Disney has two more movies with Pixar. "The Incredibles" and "Cars". So they arent going broke yet. Now add that this could just be a negotiation ploy as well. Sure Pixar doesnt really need Disney. But it doesnt hurt to have them.

Also look at it from Disneys side. They decided last year to go 3D. They probaly hired some Pixar people and made sure they learned a lot from their "relationship". This would be to prepare them for the split. It should be interesting to see how this pans out. Steve Jobs isnt a stupid person. Im sure he has this all planned out in advance.
PostFri Jan 30, 2004 7:51 pm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
counterparadox

Obsessor

Post subject:
a) Glen Keane?

b) What EXACTLY does Disney DO for Pixar? I honestly haven't the faintest idea.

c) Sadly, Disney will live on WITH EISNER (since stock holders think he makes htem money). The, what is it, 70, 80 year long tradition of quality Disney Animation is officially over. It won't return. Unless someone comes in withint hte next month and says "Ok, we're undoing what we did," all the artists are going to move on, and thats it, it's over.

Play City of Heroes/Villians? Look me up, Pinnacle server, @C Paradox
PostSat Jan 31, 2004 12:21 am
Nobuyuki

Obsessor

Post subject:
counterparadox wrote:
a) Glen Keane?

b) What EXACTLY does Disney DO for Pixar? I honestly haven't the faintest idea.

c) Sadly, Disney will live on WITH EISNER (since stock holders think he makes htem money). The, what is it, 70, 80 year long tradition of quality Disney Animation is officially over. It won't return. Unless someone comes in withint hte next month and says "Ok, we're undoing what we did," all the artists are going to move on, and thats it, it's over.

a) http://aimee.wyvernweb.com/anim/aaglengallery.html

b) Distribution and marketing of Pixar's fillms, in exchange for copyrights, licensing and sequel rights. Razz

c) Too true, but we'll have to wait and see how their 3DCG features turn out.
PostSat Jan 31, 2004 12:54 am
Andromaton

Obsessor

Post subject:
Glen is also the one who disigned and animated Tarzan and Silver from Treasure Planet (they had their best 2s and best 3d guys work on him, the 3d guy was one of the team that created the deep canvas technology)

He's also the son of Family Circle creator guy. Billy IS Glen.

As I briefly mentioned before Glen is basicly in charge of the 3d productions. For his learning 3d he demanded the right to send any scene back that does not meet his 2D standards. That my friends is one thing pixars guys don't have. They don't do 2d, to trully understand motion in 3d you MUST understand it in 2d. Pixars guys are good, but there are things they just don't get right.
PostSat Jan 31, 2004 1:47 am
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
counterparadox

Obsessor

Post subject:
Why, exactly, can't Pixar 'market and distribute' it's own films? I really don't understand here. Pixar is such a consitent blockbuster success, why do they need someone ELSE to market and distribute. Am I missing something here?

Oh, and d) Just because Pixar COULD make more adult movies, doesn't mean they should. CG movies live by catering to a WIDE audience. Why mess with a formula that works really really well? There are some damn good movies that are G or PG. It doesn't have to say "fuck" every 5 seconds to be a good movie, people.

Play City of Heroes/Villians? Look me up, Pinnacle server, @C Paradox
PostSat Jan 31, 2004 12:02 pm
Nobuyuki

Obsessor

Post subject:
counterparadox wrote:
Why, exactly, can't Pixar 'market and distribute' it's own films? I really don't understand here. Pixar is such a consitent blockbuster success, why do they need someone ELSE to market and distribute. Am I missing something here?

In the beginning, they didn't have the resources, experience or clout of mass popularity they enjoy now. They needed someone like Disney to give them a boost.
Now, as we've seen, they can call their own shots. I believe their goal is to emulate Lucasfilm eventually.
PostSat Jan 31, 2004 2:26 pm
Daikun

Obsessor

Post subject:
What's this? Disney will make CGI films WITHOUT Pixar?

http://www.jimhillmedia.com/legacy/index.h...tm~contentFrame

Confused

I guess they found a way to survive after all. Shocked
PostSun Feb 01, 2004 6:17 am
Nobuyuki

Obsessor

Post subject:
Daikun wrote:
What's this? Disney will make CGI films WITHOUT Pixar?

http://www.jimhillmedia.com/legacy/index.h...tm~contentFrame

Confused

I guess they found a way to survive after all. Shocked

I hope you're joking about not knowing that already...
PostSun Feb 01, 2004 10:50 am
Daikun

Obsessor

Post subject:
Yes, I was joking, but that wasn't the part I was joking about. I was joking when I said "survive."
PostMon Feb 02, 2004 1:17 am
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Animation Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: