нет

Results
Polls

Votes: 764
Comments: 7

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Toonami Infolink: Forums

Toonami Infolink :: View topic - Animation: Past, Present, Future Discussion
Toonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerLToonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerL
:: Home :: Forum FAQ :: Search :: TDA Chat Room :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
Animation: Past, Present, Future Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Animation Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spookmonkey

Obsessor

Post subject: Animation: Past, Present, Future Discussion
USA Today joins the host of media voices predicting the imminent death of the traditional animated feature. Their article also gives blame for Sinbad's failure at the box office for the "archaic" look of traditional cel animation and a "horrible" marketing campaign.

Archaic look of traditional animation? That statement alone outraged me. I would like to here your comments. You the people of the Infolink.

Discuss.

He's better than Pop-Rocks!
PostWed Jul 09, 2003 1:45 pm
TylerL

Better Than You

Post subject:
When Finding Nemo came out, I heard a lot more people and news publications giving Pixar full credit without even mentioning Disney half the time.

Given Disney's lackluster movies (Mulan, Hercules, others, etc) right about the time 3D was turning peoples' heads, it seems people have associated 3D with "good".

...was there a well-received 2D Disney animated movie since Toy Story's release? Sure, there was "Aladdin" and "The Lion King" - which was the reigning top-grossing animated champion for years, but all recent 2D endeavors by Disney and Dreamworks have fallen flat in reviews and box office numbers.

Could it be that attention and effort of the studios has been focused mostly on 3D movies (and away from 2D) in the last 5 years as well?
PostWed Jul 09, 2003 2:09 pm
XenoSabre

Post subject:
Well maybe if they'd realese movies like "Knockin on Heaven's Door" Nation Wide then more people would go see them. duhhhhh, Anime fans don't all live in LA and NY. Lets all go fill up USA Today's inboxes with complaints about there comments. Very Happy
PostWed Jul 09, 2003 3:47 pm
CookieS

Post subject: Yeah
Big shocker. Let's see, compare the animtion style to "classics" (which I'm sure USA Today loved). The problem with Sinbad wasn't the animation style, or the story, it is the whole traditional hero genera. Anime is big, comedy is big, but the action films (especially animated action) just isn't going to sell movies. As you've all seen, Toonami isn't exactly breaking records with its American-made fare.

Aside from that, Pirate movies have never done well at the box office. I'm anxious to see how the new Disney live-action pirate flick does.
PostWed Jul 09, 2003 6:01 pm
Spookmonkey

Obsessor

Post subject:
If anime is so big, how is it that even witht he limited releases of the anime movies they comparibly don't do so hot?

Spirited Away with a budget of $19,000,000 only made $9,957,083 is its TWO theatrical releases and Cowboy Bebop which only made $996,239. Comparibly Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas has $11,129,980 since only the 2nd. How can you say that Anime is big with those numbers?

Let's go back a bit further in time. Princess Mononoke which cost $20,000,000 made a whopping $2,374,107. Lilo & Stitch cost $80,000,000 and made $145,771,527. Notice a trend? As I said, traditional cel animation as a whole is going down in the States.

What I would possibly consider is to start a marketing campaign (with all the major studios tied in) to promote animation as more than a media for children. After which point they need to follow through.

PostWed Jul 09, 2003 6:48 pm
Daikun

Obsessor

Post subject:
The reason why Knockin' On Heaven's Door and Spirited Away failed in the box-office was because they were given limited releases. (Damn you, Disney and Sony!)

Also, Spirited Away and Sinbad had quite a bit of 3-D animation in them from time to time. (Traditional, huh?)

USA Today is a bunch of idiots who think they know everything.
PostWed Jul 09, 2003 6:59 pm
counterparadox

Obsessor

Post subject:
Tyler, Aladin came out in '93, The Lion King in '94, and Toy Story in '95. So, while they did good, these aren't movies that have done good SINCE the release of major CG films. Which is the way I THINK you meant it? Correct me if I'm wrong.

The reason for CG movies doing better than traditional Cel animation isn't the stigma of cel annimation of the novelty of CG. The novelty has worn off; it's been 8 years and there are 4 major producers of JUST movies that are COMPLETELY CG: Dreamworks, Pixar, Fox, and Square (am I missing one? I thought there were 5 . . . ) So there is no more novelty. And Cel animation has done extremely well in the past. And certain movies still do. Kids love it, and as such parents take them to see these movies.

This part is directed at what Spook said: Sinbad made $11 milion in one week, where as Spirited away made $9 million in 2 releases. However, Sinbad is in every theater in the nation, and Spirited away was not. Not nearly. And there was FAR less advertising. In fact, none before the first release, and only a little for hte second. The difference is apparent in the revenue.
As for CG being no more novel than Cel animation, and for animation still being no less popular, as I stated above, Sinbad makes this apparent. It mixes CG and cel animation, and it did sucky at the box offices.

The issue I see is this. CG movies have something for everyone. If you notice, with the exception of Final Fantasy, each one has been aimed at kids AND their parents. There are universal jokes that EVERYONE can enjoy, there are silly things that kids love (while not being SO silly as to make a parent squirm at the absurdity) and there are jokes that only parents would get (EXAMPLE, from Shrek: (Singing)"Please don't walk, on the grass, please be nice, wipe your . . . Face.")

Point? In the past, CG films were a lot more risky, harder to make, and costlier. So the plots and effort that have been put in were better, to INSURE success. They make sure there is a joke every 5 seconds. When there isn't a joke, it's serious and heartfelt and makes you almost cry. And when neither of those is happening, they stress the beauty of the graphis. CG movies always have something for everyone. ALWAYS.

Again, they ALWAYS have something that everyone can enjoy.

I'm talked to adults that Liked Finding Nemo, a G reated movie. Why? Because it's simply FUNNY. Cel animation isn't always like that. It's not the stigma that it's for kids, or the novelty of CG, it's that CG movies are typically more enjoyable. I can see much more effort in the writing.

That's my opinion.

Play City of Heroes/Villians? Look me up, Pinnacle server, @C Paradox
PostWed Jul 09, 2003 7:06 pm
TylerL

Better Than You

Post subject:
counterparadox wrote:
Tyler, Aladin came out in '93, The Lion King in '94, and Toy Story in '95. So, while they did good, these aren't movies that have done good SINCE the release of major CG films. Which is the way I THINK you meant it? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Quote:
Point? In the past, CG films were a lot more risky, harder to make, and costlier. So the plots and effort that have been put in were better, to INSURE success. They make sure there is a joke every 5 seconds. When there isn't a joke, it's serious and heartfelt and makes you almost cry. And when neither of those is happening, they stress the beauty of the graphis. CG movies always have something for everyone. ALWAYS.

^ ...That's what I meant. But your words were bigger.

...and on the limited release topic,
spookmonkey wrote:
Spirited Away with a budget of $19,000,000 only made $9,957,083 is its TWO theatrical releases and Cowboy Bebop which only made $996,239. Comparibly Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas has $11,129,980 since only the 2nd. How can you say that Anime is big with those numbers?

Look at the per-theater numbers.
Spirited Away made MUCH more per theater than most major releases.
...does that mean that demand overwhelmed supply, or that arthouse theaters charge too much?
PostWed Jul 09, 2003 8:13 pm
John_Bono_Smithy_Satchmo

Obsessor

Post subject:
Well, considering the second release was a lot more that art house theatres, I doubt the latter. SA was very awesome at theatre--I wish I could've seen KOHD the same way.
PostWed Jul 09, 2003 8:25 pm
counterparadox

Obsessor

Post subject:
Did anyone ever see an ad for KOHD? If not, then news of it's release only passed by word of mouth amoung otaku that are hardcore CB fans. With only that limited hype, a movie is bound to make very little money. Especially since it was only released in like, 10 cities. I think it did pretty well considering . . .

Play City of Heroes/Villians? Look me up, Pinnacle server, @C Paradox
PostThu Jul 10, 2003 9:22 am
Green-Bird

Veteran

Post subject:
counterparadox wrote:
Did anyone ever see an ad for KOHD? If not, then news of it's release only passed by word of mouth amoung otaku that are hardcore CB fans. With only that limited hype, a movie is bound to make very little money. Especially since it was only released in like, 10 cities. I think it did pretty well considering . . .

I saw one for the theater relelse and the DvD one too.
I know I will die if I could come back new

Wilco- Ashes of American Flags
PostThu Jul 10, 2003 10:18 am
Spookmonkey

Obsessor

Post subject:
counterparadox wrote:

actually I saw quite a few ads for the theatercal release and a couple for the dvd. you want an anime with no advertising? Escaflowne the Movie. It had NO commercial air time.

PostThu Jul 10, 2003 12:09 pm
Zechs

Obsessor

Post subject:
Really? Cause I'm sure I saw it somewhere at least once.

As for mainstream advertising Anime gets next to none compared to american animation. Mainly because these companies that release them don't have the unlimited cash cow that Disney has to throw around. Besides I don't really want Anime to be marketed like that. It seems to just cheapen it for me. It was alot more fun when the only way you could here of a new series or movie was through another friend.
PostThu Jul 10, 2003 12:22 pm
Green-Bird

Veteran

Post subject:
Spookmonkey wrote:
counterparadox wrote:

actually I saw quite a few ads for the theatercal release and a couple for the dvd. you want an anime with no advertising? Escaflowne the Movie. It had NO commercial air time.

Zechs: I even was lucky enough to see it in theaters.

Spook: Don't forget Patlabor WXIII, which, sadly, didn't even get a review from any newspapers.
I know I will die if I could come back new

Wilco- Ashes of American Flags
PostThu Jul 10, 2003 12:35 pm
XenoSabre

Post subject:
Quote:

Not true...EscaFlowne had several commercials that aired on CN (during the toonami and AS blocks ), The trailers showed some footage of the movies and then said available (insert date here ) at Sam Goody.
PostThu Jul 10, 2003 4:46 pm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Animation Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: