нет

Results
Polls

Votes: 764
Comments: 7

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Toonami Infolink: Forums

Toonami Infolink :: View topic - The war of RIAA
Toonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerLToonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerL
:: Home :: Forum FAQ :: Search :: TDA Chat Room :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
The war of RIAA
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Miscellaneous Babble
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What do you think of the RIAA's actions?
It's great, I'm glad they're taking action; I don't file swap anyway
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I'm indifferent; I don't file swap
26%
 26%  [ 5 ]
It's terrible!
73%
 73%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 19

Cooolcorey

Frequenter

Post subject:
Apple just keeps sounding better and better.

On a side note, I recently bought an iPod. Now, a word of warning:

iPODS ARE NOT WATERPROOF OR WATER RESISTANT IN ANY WAY.

Don't even ask how I found this out because I refuse to talk about it...
PostWed Aug 06, 2003 12:40 am
Nobuyuki

Obsessor

Post subject:
Some minor battles are being won...

Quote:
Two universities win battle against RIAA subpoenas

By Scarlet Pruitt, IDG News Service
August 11, 2003 8:45 am ET

The U.S. recording industry received a setback in its nationwide campaign to quash music piracy on the Internet Friday when a federal judge ruled that two universities did not have to comply with subpoenas requesting that they hand over the identities of students who could be illegally sharing music online.

Both the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) and Boston College won their requests to reject subpoenas issued by the Recording Industry Association of America Inc. (RIAA) over jurisdictional issues, according the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF).

The universities argued that the subpoenas, which were filed in Washington D.C., did not apply to them in Massachusetts.

Massachusetts U.S. District Court Judge Joseph Tauro's ruling in the universities' favor could prove an obstacle for the RIAA's piracy offensive, given that the group has reportedly filed some 2,000 subpoenas through the Washington D.C. court, according to the EFF.

The ruling could mean that the group will have to file subpoenas in courts across the country where it believes infringement is occurring, a much longer and more complicated process, the EFF said.

EFF Staff Attorney Wendy Seltzer cheered the decision Friday, saying in a release that the ruling "confirms that due process applies to Internet user privacy nationwide." The EFF has been battling the RIAA campaign, saying that the group's efforts compromise the privacy of individual users.

The San Francisco-based privacy group isn't alone in its rejection of the RIAA's latest campaign. Pacific Bell Internet Services, a subsidiary of SBC Communications Inc., has filed a suit in California alleging that the RIAA's subpoenas are a threat to subscribers' privacy and a burden on ISPs (Internet service providers).

What's more, Senator Norm Coleman, a Minnesota Republican, has also publicly spoken out against the group, calling the subpoenas a "shotgun" approach to piracy.

The RIAA's spraying of administrative subpoenas is just the latest strategy in a battle against Internet piracy that stems from the early days of Napster Inc. And while the group's efforts to go after individual users has sparked some controversy and backlash, its campaign against piracy on the legal front has been mostly successful.

PostTue Aug 12, 2003 6:52 am
AnimePrime

Post subject:
Well that's certainly good news, of course that won't stop them for long.

And CoolCory, name a computer accesory that is.

PostFri Aug 15, 2003 11:33 am
Nobuyuki

Obsessor

Post subject:
from the Associated Press:
Quote:
Universal slashes prices on CD's
by Alex Viega

LOS ANGELES (Sept.4) - Universal Music Group, whose roster of artists includes 50 Cent, U2, Elton John and Diana Krall, will cut the price of its wholesale CDs and push for a $12.98 retail cap on its discs in an attempt to woo music fans back into record stores.

The world's largest recording company hopes retailers, who have suffered as industrywide music sales dropped 31 percent the last three years, will follow its lead and pass on the savings to consumers.

Universal hopes the actual retail price of most of its CD will end up about $10 or less, comparable to the $9.99 retail price that music fans enjoyed in the early 1990s, at the height of a price war between the recording companies.

''Our new pricing model will enable U.S. retailers to offer music at a much more appealing price point in comparison to other entertainment products,'' said Jim Urie, president of Universal Music & Video Distribution. ''We are confident this pricing approach will drive music fans back into retail stores.''

If retailers also drop their prices, Universal's move would make CDs more competitive with online services, including Apple Computer Inc.'s popular iTunes Music Store and Buy.com's BuyMusic.com.

It was not immediately clear how retailers would respond to the move. Company officials said they had not discussed the pricing strategy with retailers, who would be notified formally on Thursday.

Kevin Milligan, vice president of merchandising at Torrance, Calif.-based record retailer Wherehouse Entertainment Inc., said he had not received notice from Universal, but that in general, the move is good news for consumers.

''Whether it will ultimately be good news for retail? I think it's still up in the air,'' he said.

Officials at the National Association of Recording Merchandisers did not return calls Wednesday. Officials at EMI, BMG and Warner Music Group declined to comment; Sony Music Group officials could not be reached.

Universal's current wholesale price for a CD album is $12.02, with a manufacturer suggested retail price of $18.98. Under the new pricing structure, the wholesale price would be $9.09.

The wholesale price for CDs by a handful of performers, including Eminem and Shania Twain, would be about a dollar more, said Jim Urie, president of Universal Music & Video Distribution.

The company also said it would cut wholesale prices on cassettes and change the suggested retail price to $8.98. Latin recordings and multiple disk packages or CD box sets would not be included in the pricing change.

The price changes would go into effect by Oct. 1.

The decision to cut prices underscores how badly the industry has been hurting, said Josh Bernoff, an analyst with Forrester Research, Inc. ''That's basically saying 'we give up','' Bernoff said.

Revenue from album sales has declined from $14.6 billion in 1999 to $12.6 billion in 2002, according to the Recording Industry Association of America, a trade group that represents the largest recording companies.

The recording industry blames its sales slump largely on illegal music swapping over peer-to-peer networks and is expected to take legal action against hundreds of suspected file-swappers this month.

But industry critics say the record companies have, for more than a decade, ignored the effects of soaring CD prices on sales. They also contend the artistic quality of music has deteriorated.

''This is something that the industry has failed to address ... You could make downloading music go away tomorrow and the industry would still face challenges,'' said Sean Baenen, managing director of Odyssey, a consumer marketing research firm in San Francisco.

''All the data suggests that quality and price are major factors to the equation.''

PostThu Sep 04, 2003 2:48 pm
Nobuyuki

Obsessor

Post subject: More news...
BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!111!! Rolling Eyes

Quote:
WASHINGTON (AP) - The recording industry is expected to announce as early as next week an amnesty program for people who admit they illegally share music files across the Internet, promising not to sue them in exchange for their admission and pledge to delete the songs off their computers.

The offer of amnesty will not apply to the roughly 1,600 people who already have been targets of copyright subpoenas from the Recording Industry Association of America, which has promised to file hundreds of infringement lawsuits across the country as early as next week.

Sources who described the proposal Thursday spoke on condition of anonymity. A spokeswoman for the RIAA, Amy Weiss, declined to comment.

The RIAA's offer would require Internet users to complete a notarized amnesty form that includes promises to delete any illegally downloaded music and not participate in illegal file-trading in the future. In exchange, the RIAA would agree not to file a potentially expensive infringement lawsuit.

``I'll be curious to see how many opt for this,'' said Fred von Lohmann, a lawyer for the San Francisco-based Electronic Frontier Foundation, who has criticized the RIAA's use of copyright subpoenas. ``It will be an interesting measure of how much fear the recording industry has managed to inject into the American public.''

Von Lohmann cautioned that the RIAA doesn't represent all copyright owners and therefore couldn't guarantee an Internet user wouldn't be sued for infringement by others, despite what amounts to an admission of guilt.

``It's not the kind of agreement that most people's lawyers will embrace,'' he said.

But the amnesty offer could serve to soften the RIAA's brass-knuckle image once the earliest lawsuits are filed, giving nervous college students and others an opportunity to avoid similar legal problems if they confess to online copyright infringement.

PostFri Sep 05, 2003 12:33 am
Daikun

Obsessor

Post subject:
I think ZCLSN hit the nail on the head about the RIAA.

http://forums.zclsn.com/index.php?act=ST&f=4&t=234&s=22de1d45f3fa908ddadbc46ad8e12942
PostFri Sep 05, 2003 2:43 am
Nobuyuki

Obsessor

Post subject:
Daikun wrote:
I think ZCLSN hit the nail on the head about the RIAA.

http://forums.zclsn.com/index.php?act=ST&f=4&t=234&s=22de1d45f3fa908ddadbc46ad8e12942

Personal opinion: Some good points, but too many weak arguments for me to side with him completely. Some of that stuff he's just pulling out of his ass.
PostFri Sep 05, 2003 6:42 am
Cooolcorey

Frequenter

Post subject:
Quote:
RIAA amnesty a good deal?
The Recording Industry Association of America is reportedly going to extend an amnesty program to people who admit to illegally sharing music files online.

"Users would sign a notarized affidavit promising to stop using 'peer to peer' programs like Kazaa to download copyrighted music for free and to delete all songs they may have acquired illegally," Reuters reported, citing an anonymous source.

The music-industry group hasn't commented publicly yet but others are voicing some concerns. GartnerG2 analyst Michael McGuire tells the Baltimore Sun that he's skeptical about file-sharers freely divulging their identities:

"That would just send a signal to me as a user that you're trolling for IDs," McGuire said. "That's like saying, 'Come tell us if you have any intention of becoming a revolutionary.' "
Gigi Sohn, of the advocacy group Public Knowledge, told Reuters that amnesty is preferable to being sued, but worries "that people may give up rights they may have, such as the right to limited sharing."
Meanwhile, Fred von Lohmann, a lawyer for the Electronic Frontier Foundation, tells AP that seeing how many file-sharers sign on will be "an interesting measure of how much fear the recording industry has managed to inject into the American public." But, he notes that since the RIAA doesn't represent all copyright holders, people who choose amnesty could still be sued by other parties.

Judging from comments posted at P2PNet and Slashdot, end-users are somewhat dubious as well.

I find this quite amusing...
PostFri Sep 05, 2003 7:02 pm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Miscellaneous Babble All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: