нет

Results
Polls

Votes: 764
Comments: 7

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Toonami Infolink: Forums

Toonami Infolink :: View topic - Death Count 2008
Toonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerLToonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerL
:: Home :: Forum FAQ :: Search :: TDA Chat Room :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
Death Count 2008
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Miscellaneous Babble
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nobuyuki

Obsessor

Post subject:
NEW YORK - Danny Federici, the longtime keyboard player for Bruce Springsteen whose stylish work helped define the E Street Band’s sound on hits from “Hungry Heart” through “The Rising,” died Thursday. He was 58.

Federici, who had battled melanoma for three years, died at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in New York. News of his death was posted late Thursday on Springsteen’s official Web site.

He last performed with Springsteen and the band last month, appearing during portions of a March 20 show in Indianapolis.

“Danny and I worked together for 40 years — he was the most wonderfully fluid keyboard player and a pure natural musician. I loved him very much ... we grew up together,” Springsteen said in a statement posted on his Web site.

Springsteen concerts scheduled for Friday in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., and Saturday in Orlando were postponed.

Federici was born in Flemington, N.J., a long car ride from the Jersey shore haunts where he first met kindred musical spirit Springsteen in the late 1960s. The pair often jammed at the Upstage Club in Asbury Park, N.J., a now-defunct after-hours club that hosted the best musicians in the state.

It was Federici, along with original E Street Band drummer Vini Lopez, who first invited Springsteen to join their band.

By 1969, the self-effacing Federici — often introduced in concert by Springsteen as “Phantom Dan” — was playing with the Boss in a band called Child. Over the years, Federici joined his friend in acclaimed shore bands Steel Mill, Dr. Zoom and the Sonic Boom and the Bruce Springsteen Band.

Federici became a stalwart in the E Street Band as Springsteen rocketed from the boardwalk to international stardom. Springsteen split from the E Streeters in the late ’80s, but they reunited for a hugely successful tour in 1999.

“Bruce has been supportive throughout my life,” Federici said in a recent interview with Backstreets magazine. “I’ve had my ups and downs, and I’ve certainly given him a run for his money, and he’s always been there for me.”

Federici played accordion on the wistful “4th Of July, Asbury Park (Sandy)” from Springsteen’s second album, and his organ solo was a highlight of Springsteen’s first top 10 hit, “Hungry Heart.” His organ coda on the 9/11-inspired Springsteen song “You’re Missing” provided one of the more heart-wrenching moments on “The Rising” in 2002.

In a band with larger-than-life characters such as saxophonist Clarence Clemons and bandana-wrapped guitarist “Little” Steven Van Zandt, Federici was content to play in his familiar position to the side of the stage. But his playing was as vital to Springsteen’s live show as any instrument in the band.

Federici released a pair of solo albums that veered from the E Street sound and into soft jazz. Bandmates Nils Lofgren on guitar and Garry Tallent on bass joined Federici on his 1997 debut, “Flemington.” In 2005, Federici released its follow-up, “Out of a Dream.”

Federici had taken a leave of absence during the band’s tour in November 2007 to pursue treatment for melanoma, and was temporarily replaced by veteran musician Charles Giordano.

At the time, Springsteen described Federici as “one of the pillars of our sound and has played beside me as a great friend for more than 40 years. We all eagerly await his healthy and speedy return.”

Besides his work with Springsteen, Federici played on albums by an impressive roster of other artists: Van Zandt, Joan Armatrading, Graham Parker, Gary U.S. Bonds and Garland Jeffreys.
PostFri Apr 18, 2008 1:44 am
Daikun

Obsessor

Post subject:
Albert Hofmann, the father of the mind-altering drug LSD whose medical discovery inspired — and arguably corrupted — millions in the 1960s hippie generation, has died. He was 102.

Hofmann died Tuesday at his home in Burg im Leimental, said Doris Stuker, a municipal clerk in the village near Basel where Hofmann moved following his retirement in 1971.

For decades after LSD was banned in the late 1960s, Hofmann defended his invention.

"I produced the substance as a medicine. ... It's not my fault if people abused it," he once said.

The Swiss chemist discovered lysergic acid diethylamide-25 in 1938 while studying the medicinal uses of a fungus found on wheat and other grains at the Sandoz pharmaceuticals firm in Basel.

He became the first human guinea pig of the drug when a tiny amount of the substance seeped onto his finger during a laboratory experiment on April 16, 1943.

"I had to leave work for home because I was suddenly hit by a sudden feeling of unease and mild dizziness," he subsequently wrote in a memo to company bosses.

"Everything I saw was distorted as in a warped mirror," he said, describing his bicycle ride home. "I had the impression I was rooted to the spot. But my assistant told me we were actually going very fast."

Upon reaching home, Hofmann began experiencing what he called "wonderful visions."

Three days later, Hofmann experimented with a larger dose. The result was the world's first scientifically documented bad trip.

"The substance which I wanted to experiment with took over me. I was filled with an overwhelming fear that I would go crazy. I was transported to a different world, a different time," Hofmann wrote.

Hofmann and his scientific colleagues hoped that LSD would make an important contribution to psychiatric research. The drug exaggerated inner problems and conflicts and thus it was hoped that it might be used to recognize and treat mental illnesses like schizophrenia.

For a time, Sandoz sold LSD 25 under the name Delysid, encouraging doctors to try it themselves. It was one of the strongest drugs in medicine — with just one gram enough to drug an estimated 10,000 to 20,000 people for 12 hours.

LSD was elevated to international fame in the late 1950s and 1960s thanks to Harvard professor Timothy Leary who embraced the drug under the slogan "turn on, tune in, drop out."

But away from the psychedelic trips, horror stories emerged about people going on murder sprees or jumping out of windows while hallucinating. Heavy users suffered permanent psychological damage.

The U.S. government banned LSD in 1966 and other countries followed suit.

Hofmann maintained this was unfair, arguing that the drug was not addictive. He repeatedly argued for the ban to be lifted to allow LSD to be used in medical research.

Last December, Swiss authorities decided to allow LSD for psychotherapy in exceptional cases.

"For me, this is a very big wish come true. I always wanted to see LSD get its proper place in medicine," he told Swiss TV at the time.

Hofmann himself took the drug — purportedly on an occasional basis and out of scientific interest — for several decades.

"LSD can help open your eyes," he once said. "But there are other ways — meditation, dance, music, fasting."

Even so, the self described "father" of LSD readily agreed that the drug was dangerous if in the wrong hands. This was reflected by the title of his 1979 book: "LSD - my problem child."

In it he wrote that, "The history of LSD to date amply demonstrates the catastrophic consequences that can ensue when its profound effect is misjudged and the substance is mistaken for a pleasure drug."

Hofmann retired from Sandoz in 1971 and devoted his time to travel, writing and lectures.

"This is really a high point in my advanced age," Hofmann said at a ceremony in Basel honoring him on his 100th birthday. "You could say it is a consciousness-raising experience without LSD."

Funeral arrangements were not immediately available.
PostThu May 01, 2008 10:43 pm
Nobuyuki

Obsessor

Post subject:
Irena Sendler, a Roman Catholic who created a network of rescuers in Poland who smuggled about 2,500 Jewish children out of the Warsaw ghetto in World War II, some of them in coffins, died Monday in Warsaw. She was 98.

The death was confirmed by Stanlee Stahl, executive vice president of the Jewish Foundation for the Righteous, an organization that supports rescuers of Holocaust victims.

Mrs. Sendler was head of the children’s bureau of Zegota, an underground organization set up to save Jews after the Nazis invaded Poland on Sept. 1, 1939. Soon after the invasion, approximately 450,000 Jews, about 30 percent of Warsaw’s population, were crammed into a tiny section of the city and barricaded behind seven-foot-high walls.

On April 19, 1943, the Nazis began what they expected would be a rapid liquidation of the ghetto. It took them more than a month to quell the Warsaw ghetto uprising. By then, only about 55,000 Jews were still alive; most of them were sent to death camps.

Also by then, however, Mrs. Sendler’s group of about 30 volunteers, mostly women, had managed to slip hundreds of infants, young children and teenagers to safety.

“She was the inspiration and the prime mover for the whole network that saved those 2,500 Jewish children,” Debórah Dwork, the Rose professor of Holocaust history at Clark University in Massachusetts, said Monday. Professor Dwork, the author of “Children With a Star” (Yale University Press, 1991), said about 400 children had been directly smuggled out by Mrs. Sendler.

Elzbieta Ficowska, a baby in 1942, was one of them. “Mrs. Sendler saved not only us, but also our children and grandchildren and the generations to come,” Ms. Ficowska told The Associated Press last year.

There were several ruses by which the children were saved. Mrs. Sendler was a social worker for the city, with a pass that allowed her to enter the ghetto. “The Jews were all disease carriers, as far as the Nazis were concerned,” Professor Dwork said. “They put up quarantine signs throughout the ghetto.” Forgeries of the government pass allowed other members of Zegota to enter the ghetto as well. They went in day after day to persuade Jewish parents to let them rescue children.

The most common escape route, Professor Dwork said, was through the Warsaw Municipal Law Courts, which abutted the ghetto.

“There were underground corridors that had entrances on the ghetto side,” she said. “The Polish police were bribed to allow the traffic. Parents were told to dress the children as well as possible, certainly without wearing a star.”

For a time, the ghetto’s boundaries extended to the Jewish cemetery. “Some children were placed in coffins, their mouths taped, or they were sedated so they wouldn’t cry,” said Ms. Stahl, of the Jewish foundation. “Other children were smuggled out in potato sacks.”

Sometimes an ambulance wagon, with a driver accompanied by a dog, took children through the gates. “Children were under the floorboard,” Ms. Stahl said. “The barking dog would drown out a child’s cries.”

A church straddled the ghetto border. “Children would be taken into the church, go into the confessional, and come out with papers as a little Catholic,” Ms. Stahl said. They would be taken to a Christian home, a convent or an orphanage.

In a letter last year to the Polish Senate after her country finally honored her efforts, Mrs. Sendler wrote, “Every child saved with my help and the help of all the wonderful secret messengers, who today are no longer living, is the justification of my existence on this earth, and not a title to glory.”

In 1965, Mrs. Sendler became one of the first of the so-called righteous gentiles honored by the Yad Vashem Holocaust memorial in Jerusalem. Poland’s Communist leaders did not allow her to travel to Israel; she was presented the award in 1983.

Irena Krzyzanowska was born in Otwock, in what is now Poland, on Feb. 15, 1910. Her father was a physician. Her marriage to Mieczyslaw Sendler ended in divorce after World War II. Her second husband, Stefan Zgrzembski, died before her. She is survived by her daughter, Janka, and a granddaughter.

Mrs. Sendler once told Ms. Stahl that she wanted to write a book about the bravery of Jewish mothers.

“She said,” Ms. Stahl recalled, “ ‘Here I am, a stranger, asking them to place their child in my care. They ask if I can guarantee their safety. I have to answer no. Sometimes they would give me their child. Other times they would say come back. I would come back a few days later and the family had already been deported.’ ”
PostTue May 13, 2008 4:05 am
Nobuyuki

Obsessor

Post subject:
Will Elder, whose frantic, gag-filled illustrations helped to define the comic identity of Mad magazine and who was a creator of the Playboy cartoon serial “Little Annie Fanny,” died Wednesday in Rockleigh, N.J. He was 86.

The cause was Parkinson’s disease, said Gary VandenBergh, his son-in-law.

A dead-on caricaturist with an anarchic sense of humor, Mr. Elder stuffed the backgrounds of his Madison Avenue parodies and comic-strip spoofs with inane puns, silly signs and weird characters doing strange things.

“That approach to humor seeped into the rest of the magazine and the DNA of its contributors,” said John Ficarra, the editor of Mad. “It set the tone for the entire magazine and created a look that endures to this day.”

Mr. Elder called these background fillers “chicken fat,” explaining that they were “the part of the strip that gave it some flavor but did little to advance the story line.” This layered, free-for-all approach influenced the cartoons of R. Crumb and films like “Airplane!” and the “Naked Gun” series.

Born Wolf William Eisenberg in the Bronx, Mr. Elder attended public schools and, an unimposing physical specimen, sat on the sidelines when teams were chosen for neighborhood sports. Chalk in hand, he kept score and drew caricatures, a valuable defense against bullies. “My chalk was mightier than their sticks,” Mr. VandenBergh recalled him saying.

He attended the High School of Music and Art, where his fellow students included Harvey Kurtzman, the eventual founder of Mad, and Al Jaffee, who later became a cartoonist for the magazine. After studying for a year at the National Academy of Design in Manhattan, he was drafted into the Army, where he served with the 668th Topographical Engineers. His duties included drawing maps for the Normandy landing on D-Day.

On returning to the United States, he changed his last name to Elder and began looking for work as an illustrator. His first assignment was to create a comic book based on a character called Rufus DeBree the Garbage Man, a trash collector with a fantasy life as a Knight of the Round Table.

Mr. Elder married Jean Strashun in 1948; she died in 2005. He is survived by a brother, Irving Eisenberg, of Delray Beach, Fla.; a daughter, Nancy Elder VandenBergh, of Cresskill, N.J.; a son, Martin Elder, of Riverdale; and two grandchildren.

With Mr. Kurtzman and Charles Stern, another artist, Mr. Elder created the Charles William Harvey Studio. “It became a hangout for the lost and unemployed,” he would recall. The hangers-on included Jules Feiffer and René Goscinny, who later wrote the stories for the Asterix comics. Largely through Mr. Kurtzman’s connections with William M. Gaines’s E.C. Comics, Mr. Elder did work for Weird Fantasy, Two-Fisted Tales and Frontline Combat.

In 1952, Mr. Kurtzman, encouraged by Mr. Gaines, assembled a team of artists and writers, including Mr. Elder, for a new satiric magazine, Mad. From 1952 to 1956, Mr. Elder was a mainstay there, usually working in collaboration with Mr. Kurtzman, although “Ganefs!” — the madcap adventures of a gang of creepy crooks that appeared in Mad’s first issue — was a solo production.

Together, the two generated memorable comic mayhem in cartoon spoofs like “Starchie” and “Mickey Rodent” and in the adventures of Melvin Mole, a determined but hapless criminal who tries to dig his way out of prison with a spoon, then a toothpick and finally a nostril hair.

After Mr. Kurtzman left Mad in a huff, he and Mr. Elder worked together on Trump, a slick satirical magazine financed by Hugh Hefner. It ran for only two issues, whereupon Mr. Kurtzman, Mr. Elder and other colleagues from Mad pooled their resources to create Humbug. It quickly failed, although its successor, Help!, ran from 1962 to 1966.

At Help!, Mr. Elder created Goodman Beaver, a Candide figure adrift in a corrupt world. In one episode, “Goodman Goes Playboy,” Archie, Jughead and other characters from Archie Comics headed to the Playboy mansion for a night of drinking, smoking and sex, lured by a satanic figure with a remarkable resemblance to Mr. Hefner.

The executives at Archie Comics did not laugh. They sued and won, but Mr. Hefner loved the cartoon. The partners soon created a new property for Mr. Hefner, “Little Annie Fanny,” a comic strip chronicling the sexual adventures of a character who was essentially Little Orphan Annie grown up and outfitted with enormous breasts. Mr. Elder created a separate watercolor illustration for each panel of the cartoon, which ran from 1962 to 1988.
PostTue May 20, 2008 4:53 pm
Nobuyuki

Obsessor

Post subject:
BOISE, Idaho (Reuters) - J.R. Simplot, the billionaire founder of the Boise, Idaho-based agriculture business that bears his name and who helped make French fries a staple of the American diet and waistline, died on Sunday at the age of 99, officials said.

After pioneering the first commercial frozen French fry in the late 1940s, Simplot eventually became a major supplier of Idaho potatoes to McDonald's, Burger King and Wendy's. His privately held company, where he was chairman emeritus, reported $3.3 billion in sales in 2006.

An official at the Ada County Coroner's office said Simplot died at home on Sunday morning of natural causes.

Born John Richard Simplot in Dubuque, Iowa in 1909, he left school at the age of 14 to work in the agriculture storage and distribution business. He started his first produce company in 1929, and eventually became a major supplier of dehydrated potatoes to the U.S. military during World War II.

In the late 1940s, Simplot's researchers began experimenting with frozen potato products. His company began producing frozen French fries in Idaho in 1946 and the business thrived with the spread of freezers into American homes.

Simplot's most well-known business venture began with a handshake. In 1967, Simplot and McDonald's founder Ray Kroc shook hands and agreed the Simplot Company would provide frozen French fries to the expanding fast-food chain.

The company expanded to several potato processing plants in Idaho, Oregon and Washington, and eventually Australia and China. It now grows and processes many other vegetables.

In 2001, the plain-spoken businessman told Esquire Magazine luck had nothing to do with his success. "Work honestly and build, build, build. That's all I can tell you," he said.

In 1973 Simplot retired from his company, but remained chairman of the board. He stepped down from that post in 1994 after his children Gay, Don and Scott were named to the board of directors, but retained the title of chairman emeritus.

In 1980, he provided seed money to a small Boise-based computer chip manufacturer, Micron Technology. Micron is now one of Idaho's largest publicly traded companies.

A well-known figure in Boise, Simplot was often seen driving through town in a Lincoln Town Car with license plates that read "MR SPUD."

In an interview for the company in 1992, Simplot said he didn't care how he would be remembered. "Oh hell, I don't care what they say about me," Simplot said. "I'm not a publicity hound."
PostMon May 26, 2008 2:02 am
Daikun

Obsessor

Post subject:
A British teenage actor playing a minor role in the upcoming Harry Potter film was stabbed to death during a brawl in London on Saturday, police said.

Rob Knox, 18, was stabbed after he got caught up in a fight outside a bar in southwest London early Saturday, London's Metropolitan Police said in a statement.

Knox plays Ravenclaw student Marcus Belby in the upcoming film Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, the sixth installment of the popular series set for release in November.

Warner Bros., the studio that is producing the film, said it was shocked by the news.

Knox was one of five young men taken to various hospitals after the brawl, police said. Among them was a 21-year-old who has since been arrested on suspicion of murder.

The fight did not appear to be gang-related, police added, but it puts the number of violent teenage deaths in London at 14 so far this year.
PostMon May 26, 2008 3:01 am
Daikun

Obsessor

Post subject:
Dick Martin, the zany half of the comedy team whose Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In took television by storm in the 1960s, making stars of Goldie Hawn and Lily Tomlin and creating such national catch-phrases as “Sock it to me!” has died. He was 86.

Martin, who went on to become one of television’s busiest directors after splitting with Dan Rowan in the late 1970s, died Saturday night of respiratory complications at a hospital in Santa Monica, family spokesman Barry Greenberg said.

“He had had some pretty severe respiratory problems for many years, and he had pretty much stopped breathing a week ago,” Greenberg said.

Martin had lost the use of one of his lungs as a teenager, and needed supplemental oxygen for most of the day in his later years.

He was surrounded by family and friends when he died just after 6 p.m., Greenberg said.

Laugh-In, which debuted in January 1968, was unlike any comedy-variety show before it. Rather than relying on a series of tightly scripted song-and-dance segments, it offered up a steady, almost stream-of-consciousness run of non-sequitur jokes, political satire and madhouse antics from a cast of talented young actors and comedians that also included Ruth Buzzi, Arte Johnson, Henry Gibson, Jo Anne Worley and announcer Gary Owens.

Presiding over it all were Rowan and Martin, the veteran nightclub comics whose standup banter put their own distinct spin on the show.

Like all straight men, Rowan provided the voice of reason, striving to correct his partner’s absurdities. Martin, meanwhile, was full of bogus, often risque theories about life, which he appeared to hold with unwavering certainty.

Against this backdrop, audiences were taken from scene to scene by quick, sometimes psychedelic-looking visual cuts, where they might see Hawn, Worley and other women dancing in bathing suits with political slogans, or sometimes just nonsense, painted on their bodies. Other times, Gibson, clutching a flower, would recite nonsensical poetry or Johnson would impersonate a comical Nazi spy.

Laugh-In astounded audiences and critics alike. For two years the show topped the Nielsen ratings, and its catchphrases — “Sock it to me,” “You bet your sweet bippy” and “Look that up in your Funk and Wagnall’s” — were recited across the country.

Stars such as John Wayne and Kirk Douglas were delighted to make brief appearances, and even Richard Nixon, running for president in 1968, dropped in to shout a befuddled sounding, “Sock it to me!” His opponent, Vice President Hubert Humphrey, was offered equal time but declined because his handlers thought it would appear undignified.

Rowan and Martin landed the show just as their comedy partnership was approaching its zenith and the nation’s counterculture was expanding into the mainstream.

The two were both struggling actors when they met in 1952. Rowan had sold his interest in a used car dealership to take acting lessons, and Martin, who had written gags for TV shows and comedians, was tending bar in Los Angeles to pay the rent.

Rowan, hearing Martin was looking for a comedy partner, visited him at the bar, where he found him eating a banana.

“Why are you eating a banana?” he asked.

“If you’ve ever eaten here, you’d know what’s with the banana,” he replied, and a comedy team was born.

Although their early gigs in Los Angeles’ San Fernando Valley were often performed gratis, they donned tuxedos for them and put on an air of success.

“We were raw,” Martin recalled years later, “but we looked good together and we were funny.”

They gradually worked up to the top night spots in New York, Miami and Las Vegas and began to appear regularly on television.

In 1966, they provided the summer replacement for The Dean Martin Show. Within two years, they were headlining their own show.

The novelty of Laugh-In diminished with each season, however, and as major players such as Hawn and Tomlin moved on to bigger careers, interest in the series faded.

After the show folded in 1973, Rowan and Martin capitalized on their fame with a series of high-paid engagements around the country. They parted amicably in 1977.

“Dan has diabetes, and his doctor advised him to cool it,” Martin told The Associated Press at the time.

Rowan, a sailing enthusiast, spent his last years touring the canals of Europe on a houseboat. He died in 1987.

Martin moved onto the game-show circuit, but quickly tired of it. After he complained about the lack of challenges in his career, fellow comic Bob Newhart’s agent suggested he take up directing.

He was reluctant at first, but after observing on The Bob Newhart Show, he decided to try. He would recall later that it was “like being thrown into the deep end of the swimming pool and being told to sink or swim.”

Soon he was one of the industry’s busiest TV directors, working on numerous episodes of Newhart as well as such shows as In the Heat of the Night, Archie Bunker’s Place and Family Ties.

Born into a middle-class family in Battle Creek, Mich., Martin had worked in a Ford auto assembly plant after high school.

After an early failed marriage, he was for years a confirmed bachelor. He finally settled down in middle age, marrying Dolly Read, a former bunny at the Playboy Club in London. Survivors include his wife and two sons, actor Richard Martin and Cary Martin.

At Martin’s request there will be no funeral, Greenberg said.

Martin lost the use of his right lung when he was 17, something that never bothered him until his final years, when he required oxygen 18 hours a day.

Arriving for a party celebrating his 80th birthday, he fainted and was treated by doctors and paramedics. The party continued, however, and he cracked, “Boy, did I make an entrance!”
PostTue May 27, 2008 6:30 pm
Nobuyuki

Obsessor

Post subject:
Harvey Korman, the tall, versatile comedian who won four Emmys for his outrageously funny contributions to “The Carol Burnett Show” and played a conniving politician to hilarious effect in “Blazing Saddles,” died Thursday. He was 81.

Korman died at UCLA Medical Center after suffering complications from the rupture of an abdominal aortic aneurysm four months ago, his family said. He had undergone several major operations.

“He was a brilliant comedian and a brilliant father,” daughter Kate Korman said in a telephone interview with The Associated Press. “He had a very good sense of humor in real life. “

A natural second banana, Korman gained attention on “The Danny Kaye Show,” appearing in skits with the star. He joined the show in its second season in 1964 and continued until it was canceled in 1967. That same year he became a cast member in the first season of “The Carol Burnett Show.”

Burnett and Korman developed into the perfect pair with their burlesques of classic movies such as “Gone With the Wind” and soap operas like “As the World Turns” (their version was called “As the Stomach Turns”).

Another recurring skit featured them as “Ed and Eunice,” a staid married couple who were constantly at odds with the wife’s mother (a young Vickie Lawrence in a gray wig). In “Old Folks at Home,” they were a combative married couple bedeviled by Lawrence as Burnett’s troublesome young sister.

Korman revealed the secret to the long-running show’s success in a 2005 interview: “We were an ensemble, and Carol had the most incredible attitude. I’ve never worked with a star of that magnitude who was willing to give so much away.”

Burnett was devastated by Korman’s death, said her assistant, Angie Horejsi.

“She loved Harvey very much,” Horejsi said.

After 10 successful seasons, Korman left Burnett’s show in 1977 for his own series. Dick Van Dyke took his place, but the chemistry was lacking and the Burnett show was canceled two years later. “The Harvey Korman Show” also failed, as did other series starring the actor.

“It takes a certain type of person to be a television star,” he said in that 2005 interview. “I didn’t have whatever that is. I come across as kind of snobbish and maybe a little too bright. ... Give me something bizarre to play or put me in a dress and I’m fine.”

His most memorable film role was as the outlandish Hedley Lamarr (who was endlessly exasperated when people called him Hedy) in Mel Brooks’ 1974 Western satire, “Blazing Saddles.”

“A world without Harvey Korman — it’s a more serious world,” Brooks told the AP on Thursday. “It was very dangerous for me to work with him because if our eyes met we’d crash to floor in comic ecstasy. It was comedy heaven to make Harvey Korman laugh.”

He also appeared in the Brooks comedies “High Anxiety,” “The History of the World Part I” and “Dracula: Dead and Loving It,” as well as two “Pink Panther” moves, “Trail of the Pink Panther” in 1982 and “Curse of the Pink Panther” in 1983.

Korman’s other films included “Gypsy,” “Huckleberry Finn” (as the King), “Herbie Goes Bananas” and “Bud and Lou” (as legendary straightman Bud Abbott to Buddy Hackett’s Lou Costello). He also provided the voice of Dictabird in the 1994 live-action feature “The Flintstones.”

In television, Korman guest-starred in dozens of series including “The Donna Reed Show,” “Dr. Kildare,” “Perry Mason,” “The Wild Wild West,” “The Muppet Show,” “The Love Boat,” “The Roseanne Show” and “Burke’s Law.”

In their ’70s, he and Tim Conway, one of his Burnett show co-stars, toured the country with their show “Tim Conway and Harvey Korman: Together Again.” They did 120 shows a year, sometimes as many as six or eight in a weekend.

Korman had an operation in late January on a non-cancerous brain tumor and pulled through “with flying colors,” Kate Korman said. Less than a day after coming home, he was re-admitted because of the ruptured aneurysm and was given a few hours to live. But he survived for another four months.

“He fought until the very end. He didn’t want to die. He fought for months and months,” said Kate Korman.

Harvey Herschel Korman was born Feb. 15, 1927, in Chicago. He left college for service in the U.S. Navy, resuming his studies afterward at the Goodman School of Drama at the Chicago Art Institute. After four years, he decided to try New York.

“For the next 13 years I tried to get on Broadway, on off-Broadway, under or beside Broadway,” he told a reporter in 1971.

He had no luck and had to support himself as a restaurant cashier. Finally, in desperation, he and a friend formed a nightclub comedy act.

“We were fired our first night in a club, between the first and second shows,” he recalled.

After returning to Chicago, Korman decided to try Hollywood, reasoning that “at least I’d feel warm and comfortable while I failed.”

For three years he sold cars and worked as a doorman at a movie theater. Then he landed the job with Kaye.
PostThu May 29, 2008 7:37 pm
Daikun

Obsessor

Post subject:
Stan Winston, the robotic special effects wizard behind such smash hits like Jurassic Park, The Terminator, Aliens, and recently, Iron Man, has passed away.

Source

I'm depressed now. He made some of the coolest-looking and most realistic special effects in the film industry before CGI took over and made everything look fake. And when he finally restored it after a long hiatus (thank you, Tony Stark), it's like having your last wish being granted before the plug is pulled.

Farewell, Stan. Crying or Very sad Thank you for your legacy.
PostTue Jun 17, 2008 5:53 am
WhtHawk

Obsessor

Post subject:
3rd Sailor Moon Musical Actress Kanbe Dies at 24

Miyuki Kanbe, an actress best known as the third Sailor Moon in the Bishōjo Senshi Sailor Moon musical and Kyoko Kakei in the Battle Royale II: Requiem film, died suddenly of heart failure at a Kawasaki City hospital on June 18 at 4:08 a.m. She was 24. In February of 2007, she had to step down from her upcoming role of Eponine in the Les Misérables musical due to poor health, and she had been in and out of the hospital in her hometown ever since.

Kanbe won the role of Usagi Tsukino and her magical girl alter-ego Sailor Moon in an audition with 500 other applicants. She would play the role in this stage adaptation of Naoko Takeuchi's manga from 2000 to 2001. She then appeared in several television series and movies. In particular, she played Kyoko Kakei in 2003's Battle Royale II: Requiem and played Hinaka Tachibana in the Kamen Rider Hibiki television series and film from 2005 to 2006. She also sang the first two opening themes for the 2003-2004 anime series Mermaid Melody: Pichi Pichi Pitch. She was said to be in good spirits when she met with her agency's head in Tokyo's Shibuya ward on June 9. Even though she left the Les Misérables production before it opened, the producers at TOHO reportedly left a standing offer for her return by saying, "We want you to come back when you get better."

Source: ANN
PostSun Jun 22, 2008 1:34 pm
Nobuyuki

Obsessor

Post subject:
LOS ANGELES, June 22 (Reuters) - Comedian George Carlin, a counter-culture hero famed for his routines about drugs, dirty words and the demise of humanity, died of heart failure at a Los Angeles-area hospital on Sunday. He was 71.

Carlin, who had a history of heart and drug-dependency problems, died at Saint John's Health Center in Santa Monica about 6 p.m. PDT (9 p.m. EDT/0100 GMT) after being admitted earlier in the afternoon for chest pains, spokesman Jeff Abraham told Reuters.

Known for his edgy, provocative material developed over 50 years, the bald, bearded Carlin achieved status as an anti-Establishment icon in the 1970s with stand-up bits full of drug references and a routine called "Seven Words You Can Never Say On Television." A regulatory battle over a radio broadcast of the routine ultimately reached the U.S. Supreme Court.

In the 1978 case, Federal Communications Commission vs. Pacifica Foundation, the top U.S. court ruled that the words cited in Carlin's routine were indecent, and that the government's broadcast regulator could ban them from being aired at times when children might be listening.

The Grammy-winning Carlin remained an active presence on the comedy circuit. Carlin was scheduled to receive the John F. Kennedy Center's prestigious Mark Twain Prize for American Humor in November and his publicist said Carlin performed in Las Vegas this month.

His comedic sensibility revolved around a central theme: humanity is a cursed, doomed species.

"I don't have any beliefs or allegiances. I don't believe in this country, I don't believe in religion, or a god, and I don't believe in all these man-made institutional ideas," he told Reuters in a 2001 interview.

Carlin told Playboy in 2005 that he looked forward to an afterlife where he could watch the decline of civilization on a "heavenly CNN."

"The world is a big theater-in-the round as far as I'm concerned, and I'd love to watch it spin itself into oblivion," he said. "Tune in and watch the human adventure."

AWARDS

Carlin wrote three best-selling books, won four Grammy Awards, recorded 22 comedy albums, headlined 14 HBO television specials, and hosted hundreds of variety shows. One was the first episode of "Saturday Night Live" in 1975, when he was high on cocaine.

Drug addiction plagued him for much of his life, beginning with marijuana experimentation as a teen, graduating to cocaine in the 1970s, and then to prescription painkillers and wine. During the cocaine years, Carlin ignored his finances and ended up owing about $3 million in back taxes. In 2004, he entered a Los Angeles rehab clinic for his alcohol and Vicodin abuse.

George Dennis Carlin was born on May 12, 1937, in New York City, where he was raised with an older brother by their single mother. He fondly recalled that the nuns at his school tolerated his early comedic inclinations.

After a brief, troubled stint in the U.S. Air Force, he started honing his comic act, developing such characters as Al Sleet, a "hippie-dippie weatherman."

Carlin told Playboy that his sensibilities developed in the 1950s, "when comedy stopped being safe ... (and) became about saying no to authority." He cited such influences as Lenny Bruce, Mort Sahl, Dick Gregory and Bob Newhart.

He also dabbled in movies and television, recently voicing a hippie Volkswagen bus named Fillmore in the Pixar cartoon "Cars."
PostMon Jun 23, 2008 1:41 am
Daikun

Obsessor

Post subject:
Costume designer Kermit Love, who helped puppeteer Jim Henson create Big Bird and other characters on Sesame Street, has died at age 91, according to the Associated Press.

Love died from congestive heart failure Saturday in Poughkeepsie, near his home in Stanfordville, New York, Love's longtime partner, Christopher Lyall, told The New York Times.

In addition to his work with Henson, Love designed for some of ballet's most prominent choreographers, including Twyla Tharp, Agnes de Mille, Jerome Robbins and George Balanchine. He also created costumes and puppets for film and advertising, including the Snuggle bear from the fabric softener commercials.

Before Sesame Street premiered in 1969, Henson designed the original sketches of Big Bird, and Love built the 8-foot, 2-inch yellow-feathered costume.

It was Love's idea to add a few feathers designed to fall off to create a more realistic look. "The most important thing about puppets is that they must project their imagination, and then the audience must open their eyes and imagine," he told The New York Times in 1981.

Love also helped design costumes and puppets for Mr. Snuffleupagus, Oscar the Grouch, and Cookie Monster, among others. He appeared on the show as Willy, the neighborhood's resident hot dog vendor.

Love always insisted Henson's famous frog wasn't named for him, according to The New York Times.

Caroll Spinney, who has played Big Bird since Sesame Street began, said he knew Love was very ill but did not know he had died until Tuesday.

"Kermit was definitely a totally unique person," 74-year-old Spinney said. "He looked very much like Santa Claus but was a little bit more like the Grinch."

In addition to designing Big Bird, "Kermit really helped me with dramatic coaching, and he was wonderful at that," Spinney said.

Love, born in 1916, got his start making puppets for a federal Works Progress Administration theater in 1935. He also designed costumes for Orson Welles' Mercury Theater, from there working with the New York City Ballet's costumer.

In his 2003 book, The Wisdom of Big Bird (And the Dark Genius of Oscar the Grouch): Lessons From a Life in Feathers, Spinney recalled that after a year on Sesame Street, he felt he couldn't live in New York on his salary. Love told him to give it a month; the next week, Big Bird was on the cover of Time magazine and Spinney couldn't imagine leaving.
PostThu Jun 26, 2008 6:22 am
Nobuyuki

Obsessor

Post subject:
Aspen Comics editorial director Vince Hernandez has announced that studio founder Michael Turner has passed away at the age of 37 after a long courageous battle against bone cancer. Turner was one of the most talented of the second generation comic book artists to come out of Image Comics. He rose to prominence with his work (as artist and co-creator) on Top Cow’s Witchblade, a property that has demonstrated its longevity in many incarnations in different media including television, anime, manga, and an upcoming live action film.

After Witchblade Turner came up with another sexy female comic book icon, Fathom, a creator-owned property that debuted with Top Cow in 1998 and was one of the top periodical comics of the year. Turner took Fathom with him to Aspen Comics, the company he founded in 2003. In addition to his work at Aspen, which resumed publishing the Turner created titles Fathom and Soulfire after the settlement of a lawsuit with Top Cow in 2003, in recent years Turner worked on a number of projects, often covers, for both Marvel and DC Comics.

Turner was diagnosed with bone cancer in 2000 and later had surgery that removed over three pounds of bone including his entire hip and 40% of his pelvis. Turner underwent over 9 months of radiation therapy and battled his disease courageously over the past eight years before succumbing to complications on June 27th.
PostSun Jun 29, 2008 4:09 am
Nobuyuki

Obsessor

Post subject:
ATLANTA (AP) -- Skip Caray, a voice of the Atlanta Braves for 33 years and part of a family line of baseball broadcasters that included Hall of Famer Harry Caray, died in his sleep at home on Sunday, the team said. He was 68.

The cause of death was not immediately known, but various health problems had limited Caray to calling only Braves home games this season.

"We've all lost a very good friend," Braves manager Bobby Cox said. "For me, he was a good buddy -- at the park and away from the park. We always had a lot of great laughs. He will be very sorely missed."

Caray was drawn into broadcasting by his father, Harry, a member of the National Baseball Hall of Fame.

The family line has continued with two of Skip Caray's sons. Chip Caray is part of the Braves broadcast team and Josh Caray is working on the radio for the Class A Rome Braves.

While his father was known for his declarations of "Holy Cow," Skip Caray was able to declare "Braves Win! Braves Win!" with regularity as the team won 14 consecutive division titles beginning in 1991 and the 1995 World Series.

"Our baseball community has lost a legend today," Braves president John Schuerholz said. "The Braves family and Braves fans everywhere will sadly miss him. Our thoughts are with his wife Paula and his children."

Caray and Pete Van Wieren have been broadcasting Braves games since 1976. Caray's sarcastic wit made him a popular lead voice of the broadcast team, and his fame grew nationally as TBS carried Braves games to a national audience for 30 years.

After decades of calling the Braves America's Team, TBS this year began a seven-year contract of national weekly telecasts, leaving the Braves to the regional Peachtree TV network -- and leaving Caray to radio work on home games.

Health problems also cut into Caray's workload.

Caray said this year he was battling diabetes, congestive heart failure, an irregular heartbeat and reduced kidney and liver functions.

"I almost died in October (2007)," Caray told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution at the Braves' 2008 home opener.

Still, Caray's death came as a shock, even to those who worked closely with him.

"He's had some medical issues but you're never ready for something like this," longtime TBS producer Glenn Diamond said Sunday night. "We're all very shocked by the timing. It's a very sad day for family and for Braves fans. I think the Braves fans feel they're part of Skip's family."

Born in suburban St. Louis, Caray graduated from the University of Missouri School of Journalism with honors.

Caray was one of a number of national sports broadcasters to begin his career at KMOX-AM in St. Louis. Others include Joe Buck, John and Dan Kelly, all sons of broadcasting icons, plus Dan Dierdorf and Bob Costas.

Caray's father was doing St. Louis Cardinals games on KMOX, and Skip began doing a 15-minute high school sports show and prep basketball games.

That assignment grew, and he did games for the St. Louis Hawks before the NBA franchise moved to Atlanta, where he followed the team. He also did color commentary for Missouri Tigers football games alongside his dad.

Caray and Van Wieren were inducted into the Braves Hall of Fame in 2005. Caray was named Georgia sportscaster of the year six times.

"He had a huge impact on a lot of people's lives and he had a huge impact on my life," Diamond said. "During the season we spent more time together than we did with our families and our lives."

In addition to his wife and son, he is survived by children Cindy, Shayelyn and Josh, and seven grandchildren.

Funeral arrangements will be announced later, according to the Braves.

"I'm just in shock," Chip Caray told MLB.com. "I know he wasn't feeling good, but this was unexpected. He hung the moon for me. I got to talk to him [on Saturday], and the last thing I got to say to him was, 'I love you.' "
PostMon Aug 04, 2008 2:10 am
Nobuyuki

Obsessor

Post subject:
MOSCOW (AFP) — The Russian writer and dissident Alexander Solzhenitsyn, who shone a light on the inhuman world of the Soviet gulags, has died at his Moscow home aged 89.

Recognizable later in life by his flowing beard and ascetic dress, he had been very frail for several years and died of heart failure at 11:45 pm (1945 GMT) on Sunday, his son Stepan said quoted by Itar-Tass news agency.

The writer lived "a difficult but happy life, We were very happy together," his widow Natalya told Echo of Moscow radio.

Solzhenitsyn won the Nobel Prize for literature in 1970 after depicting in harrowing detail the Soviet Uni0n's system of labour camps, where he spent eight years from 1945.

He toiled obsessively to unearth the darkest secrets of Stalinist rule and his work ultimately dealt a crippling blow to the Soviet Uni0n's authority.

Russia's President Dmitry Medvedev sent the family his condolences. French President Nicolas Sarkozy paid tribute to Solzhenitsyn, "one of the greatest consciences of 20th century Russia," saying: "His intransigence, his ideals and his long, eventful life make of Solzhenitsyn a storybook figure, heir to Dostoyevsky. He belongs to the pantheon of world history. I pay homage to his memory."

Born to a single mother in 1918 at Kislovodsk in the Caucasus amid the bloody aftermath of the Russian Revolution, Solzhenitsyn was initially a loyal Communist. But he went on to undermine the regime's moral foundations, his writings energizing dissent at home and in the West. First though he had to enter the living hell of the Gulag, a vast prison system that stretched from the Solovetsky Islands in the White Sea to the steppes of Kazakhstan.

Solzhenitsyn was sentenced to eight years in the camps in 1945 and was to go on to survive cancer and a KGB assassination attempt. By Gulag standards, conditions at the camp near Moscow where he initially worked were relatively tolerable. But he deliberately exchanged them for back-breaking physical toil in a camp in Kazakhstan so as to share the lot of ordinary prisoners. He was released in February 1953, a few weeks before Stalin's death. He spent three more years in internal exile in Kazakhstan, contracted and overcame cancer, before moving back to Russia as a schoolteacher.

Then in 1962 he burst onto the world of literature with "One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich". A slim volume published with official approval during the thaw under Stalin's successor, Nikita Khrushchev, it described the world of the forced labour camps. After its publication in the magazine Novy Mir, two subsequent editions totalling 850,000 copies sold out immediately.

"Cancer Ward" and "The First Circle" followed, both appearing in English in 1968.

Amid a crackdown under Khrushchev's successor Leonid Brezhnev, Russians for 20 years could read the texts only in clandestine editions. But already by 1970 Solzhenitsyn's impact was so great that he was awarded the Nobel Prize for Literature. He accepted the award but refused to travel to receive it for fear of not being allowed to return home. By now Solzhenitsyn was sacrificing everything to his massive portrait of the camps, "The Gulag Archipelago," covertly collecting information from 227 former prisoners. The authorities were at a loss to know what to do about him.

In 1970 Solzhenitsyn was sheltered by the cellist Mstislav Rostropovich, who wrote an open letter to Pravda newspaper supporting him. Rostropovich, who died in April 2007, was to suffer for their closeness, eventually being forced into exile.

The next year Solzhenitsyn suffered a bout of "heat stroke" which was later revealed to have been caused by ricin, a poison administered surreptitiously in a crowded shop. Finally the authorities discovered manuscripts for "The Gulag Archipelago" and in 1974 Solzhenitsyn was expelled by KGB chief Yury Andropov.

After a spell in Switzerland he moved to a remote village in Vermont, in the United States, where he devoted himself to his "Red Wheel" cycle, a fictionalised history of the run-up to the Revolution.

The world now discovered a Solzhenitsyn who was highly critical of Western ways and called for moral renewal based on Christian values. His spectacular return to his homeland in 1994 proved something of an anti-climax. The new Russia was as alien to Solzhenitsyn as the United States had been, a finding he shared with audiences in gloomy televized harangues.

In June last year, then Russian president Vladimir Putin awarded Solzhenitsyn the State Prize, Russia's highest honour, praising his devotion to the "fatherland.".

"Until the end of my life I can hope that the historical material... collected by me and presented to my readers, enters the consciousness and memory of my fellow countrymen," he said in a message.
PostMon Aug 04, 2008 2:23 am
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Miscellaneous Babble All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: