нет

Results
Polls

Votes: 764
Comments: 7

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Toonami Infolink: Forums

Toonami Infolink :: View topic - How you met anime
Toonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerLToonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerL
:: Home :: Forum FAQ :: Search :: TDA Chat Room :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
How you met anime
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnnyPsycho

Veteran

Post subject:
Spookmonkey wrote:
You people speak of anime as if you found jesus sleeping in your tree house. It's not that special. It's not that epic of a discovery. Especially since none of you (ok, 99%) will never do anything with anime beyond watch it, you won't go out and create more, you won't go better the american studios with the basic core of anime beliefs, all it has done for you is give you something new to watch.

*sigh* I remember a young child name spookmonkey who wasn't such a pain in the ass know-it-all about animation and who would simply tolerate people's feelings about the Japanese animated artform...

Jeezus, dude, you're beginning to remind me of every person in my film studies classes who say that all Hollywood films today are hollow bullshit and that the only true films left are made overseas... yeah, it's true, but that doesn't mean that I can't enjoy the mind-numbing entertainment of a hollow Hollywood blockbuster now and then. Fine, we get that you are the new "animation god" here, whatever... just don't act like such a fucking wet blanket, dude. Seriously, let the people enjoy what they want to enjoy. You may feel like you want to teach the masses, but in the end you have to realize the nature of the worlds of entertainment and film, and that if you keep telling the audience that they are fools for not appreciating the works of Akira Kurosawa, Alfred Hitchcock, Chen Kaige, Krysztof Kieslowski, Michael Curtiz, Sergei Eisenstein, D.W. Griffith, Jean Renoir, or Robert Altman... or in your case Tex Avery, William Hannah and Joseph Barbara, Hayao Miyazaki, Don Bluth, Max Fleischer, Chuck Jones, Ralph Bakshi, ect. etc....

Face it. Finding anime is a momentous discovery for some of us. Maybe it makes us realize that the world is much bigger than we think, since the majority of these stories so far have been ones that expressed surprise that these "cartoons" actually depicted subject matter that Disney and saturday mornings wouldn't touch. Suddenly, the world of cartoons isn't kids stuff (not that it ever was, if you ever pay attention to many of the Looney Tunes cartoons (especially the WWII era ones that were only shown to service men at the time) you'll understand why I say this), and there are new possiblities to explore. The fact that an animated film, animated with the same finese as the major American studios, can portray a world so completely different is a big deal, because suddenly there are no boundaries.

The art of film allows us almost limitless possibilities in storytelling. Animation has far less limitations than live-action by nature. And animation that does not pay attention to the old cultural rules that American studios have abided by for generations is indeed an exciting thing.

So quit being such a putz and let these people enjoy themselves. Sheesh...

"I plan to live forever. So far so good." -Steven Wright
PostTue Mar 18, 2003 5:17 am
JohnnyPsycho

Veteran

Post subject:
While I'm at it, I might as well share my "how I became an anime junky" story. I know I've told it here at least once before, and since this place is already full of long-ass posts (including the one I just made before this), I'll try to keep it as short as possible... note I said try...

When I was a kid (circa 1984-89) I used to watch episodes of Voltron, and was fortunate enough to be able to catch episodes of G-Force and Robotech really early in the morning on one of the UHF stations (hey kids! Remember when TV channels used to come in only VHF or UHF? And you had to get off your ass and turn a knob on the TV in order to change the channel?) Afterwards, I didn't see much "anime" (unless you count the Thundercats, which I usually do) for a few years, except for maybe a rare occasion where I might catch a Speed Racer rerun. I also remember sometimes flipping over the the local Christian channel and seeing episodes of Flying House and Superbook, and even back then I distinctly remember noting the stylistic similarities between these two super-cheesy Bible-story cartoons and my beloved Voltron and G-Force of old. My little sister is also starting to get into Hello Kitty and Sanrio stuff at this time.

Sometime when I am a little older (maybe 10 or 11) I find out that Voltron, Superbook, and all these other shows were indeed stylistically similar, because they were all made in Japan. I find that interesting, but not interesting enough to really care. Besides, Tiny Toons and the Disney Afternoon were much more entertaining at that point. At this point I was also a bit fan of the Koz Zone (all my Chicago peeps will know exactly what I'm talking about... Chi-town homies in the hizz-ouse!!)

Flash forward quite a few years to highschool. My freshman year (1994-95... yes, I am that old) I happened to notice some episodes of Sailormoon in syndication. My sister loves it. I kind of dig it too, but mostly I overlook it. That same year, another local UHF station (by this time we had cable, but I still watched most of the local channels anyway) started showing a weekly block of Japanese animation called Japanimation. Every Friday night they would show anime films, mostly stuff that was distributed by Streamline Pictures at the time. I initially enjoyed some of the original Lupin III and Dirty Pair movies, and even was amazed by the amount of blood, violence, and sexuality shown in some titles like Golgo 13, Crying Freeman, and Wicked City (Wicked City, btw, was my first real experience with the darker, "erotic" side of anime, which I would later learn existed inside an entire genre of itself called "hentai"). It wasn't until I saw three very important movies, though, that I realized that these "weird Japanese cartoons" could be something truly interesting and inspiring. Those three movies were Barefoot Gen, Vampire Hunter D, and Akira. Suddenly, I wanted to know more about these Japanese cartoons.

During this time I also caught episodes of Dragonball in syndication. I also remember hearing about a similar show called Dragonball Z, or as I called it "Dragonballz". It was a few months later that I finally was able to see my first episode of DBZ, and was surprised to find that Goku had grown up and that he had a son. I also instantly became a Piccolo fan.

It was a year later that I began to hang out with my friends Morgan and Brandon, and that I learned that this "Japanimation stuff" was called "anime". They and a group of their otaku buddies began to supply me and my sister with anime tapes, which we would watch each weekend, usually after our parents went to sleep. The first two series we watched were the Oh! My Goddess and Tenchi Muyo! OVAs, which I enjoyed. Further viewings of select episodes of Ranma ½ and Urusei Yatsura also helped to peak my interest, along with the Vampire Princess Miyu and El Hazzard OVAs. But it wasn't until I was introduced to Neon Genesis Evangelion that I had become truly hooked. While I had become jaded about the old "giant robot" cartoons like Voltron and Gundam that I had loved when I was a kid, Evangelion presented a strange new use of the giant robot genre. I remember watching the first half of the series almost right in a row, and then the torturous months and weeks of waiting for the next tapes to be released.

About my junior year, I happened to catch a new timeslot on Cartoon Network called "Toonami", that was showing old episodes of Voltron once again, and I was absolutely thrilled (somehow after Evangelion, the appeal of these "giant robot" shows had come back). Eventually, I also started to rewatch Thundercats, Ronin Warriors, and all the other old school goodies. At this time, I fell deeper into anime fandom, finally seeing Ghost in the Shell, and being privy to plenty of fansubbed and raw, untranslated videos of Dragonball Z and GT. Yes, I like to brag about seeing Super Saiyan Goku and Majin Buu years before most anybody else did.

When I finally graduated and went to college, the first thing I did was to begin going to meetings of the brand new anime club. The club, named Animosity, helped further my addiction and the downward spiral into otakudom. I was exposed to Rurouni Kenshin for the first time (and yes, I still have all of my fansubbed tapes), along with Trigun, Card Captor Sakura, .hack//SIGN, FLCL, and Cowboy Bebop. I learned about the culture of the otaku and of fansubbing, and even attended my first anime convention (Anime Central '99).

I am now nearing the end of my fifth year at the university, and my fifth year as a member of Animosity, continuing to be exposed to new shows such as Abenobashi Mahou Shoutengai (Magical Shopping District Abenobashi), Witch Hunter Robin, Juuni Kouki (Record of 12 Countries), and RahXephon. With last year's ACen being the only convention that I've missed, and with a pretty respectable anime and manga collection of my own, I have become a certified otaku. I've personally witnessed the growth of Dragonball Z from cult hit to the popular cartoon phenomenon it is today. I've witnessed the leadership of the Animosity anime club change hands twice, and the culture of fansubbing evolve from tape circulation to file-swapping over the Internet. In fact, I was already a certifiable anime veteran by the time I had joined the original TDA message board back in February of 2002 (nearly eight years since I had started to become an anime fan).

...oddly enough, however, my first comment on the TDA message board was about the cancellation of Invader Zim...

...weird, ain't it?...

"I plan to live forever. So far so good." -Steven Wright
PostTue Mar 18, 2003 6:45 am
Furik

Post subject:
I got into anime around the Pocket Monsters era. lol Around like '97. And I have been into anime ever since!
PostSun Mar 23, 2003 10:18 am
-Mithron-

Post subject:
Hits Thread with Flamesword

Last edited by -Mithron- on Sun Mar 23, 2003 9:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
PostSun Mar 23, 2003 9:27 pm
-Mithron-

Post subject:
Hits Thread with Flamesword

Last edited by -Mithron- on Sun Mar 23, 2003 9:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
PostSun Mar 23, 2003 9:27 pm
-Mithron-

Post subject:
Page Created
PostSun Mar 23, 2003 9:29 pm
Nobuyuki

Obsessor

Post subject:
For some reason, I expected that... Laughing
PostSun Mar 23, 2003 9:53 pm
Vekou

Post subject:
Transformers G1 was the first real anime I ever watched. In 1998, I got into Pokemon, and it led me onto better things.
PostMon Mar 24, 2003 1:36 am
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Spookmonkey

Obsessor

Post subject:
JohnnyPsycho wrote:
Spookmonkey wrote:
You people speak of anime as if you found jesus sleeping in your tree house. It's not that special. It's not that epic of a discovery. Especially since none of you (ok, 99%) will never do anything with anime beyond watch it, you won't go out and create more, you won't go better the american studios with the basic core of anime beliefs, all it has done for you is give you something new to watch.

*sigh* I remember a young child name spookmonkey who wasn't such a pain in the ass know-it-all about animation and who would simply tolerate people's feelings about the Japanese animated artform...

Jeezus, dude, you're beginning to remind me of every person in my film studies classes who say that all Hollywood films today are hollow bullshit and that the only true films left are made overseas... yeah, it's true, but that doesn't mean that I can't enjoy the mind-numbing entertainment of a hollow Hollywood blockbuster now and then. Fine, we get that you are the new "animation god" here, whatever... just don't act like such a fucking wet blanket, dude. Seriously, let the people enjoy what they want to enjoy. You may feel like you want to teach the masses, but in the end you have to realize the nature of the worlds of entertainment and film, and that if you keep telling the audience that they are fools for not appreciating the works of Akira Kurosawa, Alfred Hitchcock, Chen Kaige, Krysztof Kieslowski, Michael Curtiz, Sergei Eisenstein, D.W. Griffith, Jean Renoir, or Robert Altman... or in your case Tex Avery, William Hannah and Joseph Barbara, Hayao Miyazaki, Don Bluth, Max Fleischer, Chuck Jones, Ralph Bakshi, ect. etc....

Face it. Finding anime is a momentous discovery for some of us. Maybe it makes us realize that the world is much bigger than we think, since the majority of these stories so far have been ones that expressed surprise that these "cartoons" actually depicted subject matter that Disney and saturday mornings wouldn't touch. Suddenly, the world of cartoons isn't kids stuff (not that it ever was, if you ever pay attention to many of the Looney Tunes cartoons (especially the WWII era ones that were only shown to service men at the time) you'll understand why I say this), and there are new possiblities to explore. The fact that an animated film, animated with the same finese as the major American studios, can portray a world so completely different is a big deal, because suddenly there are no boundaries.

The art of film allows us almost limitless possibilities in storytelling. Animation has far less limitations than live-action by nature. And animation that does not pay attention to the old cultural rules that American studios have abided by for generations is indeed an exciting thing.

So quit being such a putz and let these people enjoy themselves. Sheesh...

It's not that anime isn't good, it's not like finding cool animes to watch isnt a great thing, it's not even that discovering anime isn't the usual cartoons isn't a nice discovery; but the thing is it really isn't the enormous uber event people make it out to be. People were writing it as an epic meeting of great powers destined to change the face of the universe forever..... with BLOOOOOOD..... but it's not. It is though a nice change of pace from everyday life and the cartoons of your youth.

JP; the analogy of your film class isn't quite accurate as I'm not saying that anime is nothing compaired to the american cartoon faire all I was saying was that it's different not worse. As you said; cartoons have always been adult, not all of them, but they were there. Actualyl what more than likely happened with most people here watched Looney Toons from the first day they could watch cartoons but never realized their real meanings (as kids you see the jokes far far before you see the overall meaning behind the jokes) and so they thought like that for many years until they "discovered" anime which because they were older were able to read teh meaning either at the same time or shortly after the jokes and so were able to indentify it as the first cartoons were adult themes and ideals and so you start to associate those shows more with being older and adulthood and strengthen your association of the type of shows watched during your youth with younger themes, humor, and such.

For finding anime to really be the momentous occassion that most people were at least wrote it out to be it should change your life for the better. If it does open your eyes to the rest of the world; that is a momentous event. If you find your calling in life by watching anime fantastic, that is a momentous occasion. But finding anime and discovering its a bit more "mature" (which a crap load of anime is so incredibly not) and so it gives you a new word in your vocabulary and some new things to watch; then that is not a momentous event- it's just a nice thing to have. I hope you see my point.

He's better than Pop-Rocks!
PostMon Mar 24, 2003 2:03 pm
Goldfinger2K

Obsessor

Post subject:
Now that i think about it, I vaguely remember watching a mecha anime show when i was really young in the Dominican Republic. The only thing I remember is that there were these two guys that had mechas, a red and a blue one, and they fought monsters that invaded. Every single fight would end in nuke-looking mushroom cloud. that is all. I used to love thundercats and transformers too. And also the crappier Silver Hawks was in my afternoon lineup.

peace
"Toonami, better than getting kicked in the nuts!"-me
"If I was so inclined, I would have groped you five times!"^O^hohohohoho!-Vash
PostMon Mar 24, 2003 4:48 pm
Saiyoukai1015

Post subject:
the first anime i ever watched was transformers then i discovered DBZ and robotech on toonami, i remeber i saw the first episode of DBZ, and all the characters were talking like everyone knew all about everyone esle so i thought that it was somewhere in the middle of the series, i didn't even realize that it was anime at the time, but i loved it, later i got into the gundam series. it was only last summer that i saw yu yu hakusho, cowboy bebop, and inuyasha the last 2 are in my opinion the 2 single greatest shows in the history of mankind. since then i have discovered tons of other shows including lupin 3rd, kenshin, riegn.
PostTue Mar 25, 2003 3:49 pm
Beatdiggga

Obsessor

Post subject:
My story is kinda weird. At first, I hated anime. The designs scared the hell out of me for some odd reason. Gradually, I watched it when no one was around.

Then the worst experience of my life happened.

A fight in my school that I started with some guy got me suspended for two weeks. What to do when there's nothing else to work on, and your friends are under house arrest? Channel surf. And that's when I saw uncut Gundam Wing...
PostTue Mar 25, 2003 3:59 pm
endy

Post subject:
Ever since I was a kid I've always loved anime.. I dunno why.. maybe the style appeals to me or something.. But I remember watching Speed Racer, Robotech and Voltron when I was little.. I remember even waking up at like 4in the morning to watch DBZ (or DB? can't remember lol) on UPN XD

I slowly started getting into anime more and more.. I watched some on Toonami such as Sailor Moon and DBZ, and eventually I found the wonderful world of fansubs, where I saw Eva, Trigun and a bunch of other great animes Smile
PostTue Mar 25, 2003 6:08 pm
Ph33rN3kkidSk1llz

Post subject:
...some of you people have huge stories...me well I got into anime when I was in 3rd grade when I started to become obsessed with DBZ....and then....it was on toonami and I got into other shows like Tenchi, Gundam W ect...then after a few years me and my cousin decided to try out anime the wasn't on TV...our 1st was the greatest thing I have ever watched which was about 2 years ago...Neon Genesis Evangalion,the BEST series ever! And then it was Lain....and we went on from there....I just finished all of Kenshin and am now into .hack, Love Hina, and Inu-Yasha.....I saw a bunch of others inbetween too...lol
PostTue Mar 25, 2003 8:58 pm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Toonami All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: