нет

Results
Polls

Votes: 764
Comments: 7

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Toonami Infolink: Forums

Toonami Infolink :: View topic - Life is sweeter... Sweeter than...um...stevia...
Toonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerLToonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerL
:: Home :: Forum FAQ :: Search :: TDA Chat Room :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
Life is sweeter... Sweeter than...um...stevia...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Miscellaneous Babble
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daikun

Obsessor

Post subject: Life is sweeter... Sweeter than...um...stevia...
I noticed this on Newgrounds and Yahoo! News, and now, the amazing power that is known as "informing the public" now goes here! Mwa ha ha ha ha ha ha h--*cough*.

Most people nowadays are starting to realize that too much sugar is a bad thing. The food industry puts sugar in everything we eat, most often in things that don't really need it. The rapid rise in diabetes is attributed to sugar, and many people are starting to point the finger at it for obesity as well.

I had recently learned of a "nutritional supplement" called stevia. Stevia fiber is extracted from stevia leaves, and is very sweet. While eating it plain isn't as appealing as sugar, it actually works very well as a sweetener in drinks and whatnot. Not only is it good for your body (fiber), but it does not adversely affect your blood sugar.

One would wonder why something so healthy yet sweet is not marketed as a substitute for sugar. The answer sounds like something you would hear from a conspiracy theorist, but it is true: The sugar industry lobbied the FDA to NOT ALLOW stevia to be marketed as such. Nowhere on the packaging of a stevia product can they make the claim that it may be used as a "substitute for sugar." Instead, it must be labeled as a "dietary supplement." One company, SweetLeaf, has the creative slogan, "Don't Sweeten Your Coffee, Supplement It!"

I've told this story to people in the past, and it sounds corny... Is the sugar industry that evil? Well, today we got an answer. Read this article from The Guardian Unlimited. It is about how the sugar industry is lobbying to BRING THE WORLD HEALTH ORGANIZATION TO ITS KNEES if they release new health standards that recommend less sugar in your diet.

The WHO (which has nothing to do with the music band from yesteryear) is a humanitarian organization whose name you see frequently whenever good things are being done around the world - they basically work to make everyone in the world as healthy as possible. They go beyond recommending diets - they cure diseases worldwide.

The sugar industry would rather see the World Health Organization lose its funding, than have people be told to cut back on their daily sugar intake. They know their product is unhealthy, but they don't want you to know that. What can you do? Eat less sweets, for one! Also, stay informed and keep yourself aware of this sort of thing. Have an active voice in your community. We can't let big businesses bully good people in the interest of profit.
PostWed Apr 23, 2003 5:12 pm
counterparadox

Obsessor

Post subject:
Of course, maybe the people lobbying FOR stevia could be lying. Maybe it's worse for you than sugar. Or maybe, like it was for sugar, we don't know the long term affects of ingesting it on a regular basis.

Play City of Heroes/Villians? Look me up, Pinnacle server, @C Paradox
PostWed Apr 23, 2003 5:49 pm
Daikun

Obsessor

Post subject:
counterparadox wrote:
Of course, maybe the people lobbying FOR stevia could be lying. Maybe it's worse for you than sugar. Or maybe, like it was for sugar, we don't know the long term affects of ingesting it on a regular basis.

Well, why don't we find out?

*Pulls out a spoonful of stevia leaves*

Open wide, CP...
PostWed Apr 23, 2003 6:44 pm
Dreadnot

Obsessor

Post subject:
Actually, I've been using stevia for 10 years. I'd rather use it then the other stuff. There are no side effects beyond being allergic to it. I know its been in use for hundreds of years. It was the Chineese main sorce or sweetner a while back.

White Sugar= Is bleached so you take in alot of bleach.
Equal = Causes cancer in lab rats O_o people use this stuff?
That stuff in the red bag..= same as equal.
Cane Sugar= Don't think theres anything bad with it.

Did you know that Equal and that other stuff.. in the red bag.. isnt really suger, but a sweetner. So your body is thinking its absorbing alot of sugar, cause its so sweet, but there is no real sugar there. So what happens is that it screws up your nervouse system. I did a report on it about 3 years ago. I'll see if i can find it.

Stevia however is a condenced form a sugar. You actually get the sugar. It tastes differnt from normal sugar though, so it takes a while to get used to.

For me, 1 drop of stevia is the equal to 1 bag of sugar *the sugar bags from Mc.D's and other fastfood joints* *pardon my bad spelling today*

'Oh,' he said.
YES, said Death.
'Not even time to finish my cake?'
NO. THERE IS NO MORE TIME, EVEN FOR CAKE. FOR YOU THE CAKE IS OVER. YOU HAVE REACHED THE END OF CAKE.
T. Pratchett - Night Watch*
PostWed Apr 23, 2003 10:49 pm
Beatdiggga

Obsessor

Post subject:
Uh uh. No. Sugar is sugar. No saccharine, and no stevia.
PostThu Apr 24, 2003 11:04 am
Force-Attuned_Krogoth

Obsessor

Post subject: Sorry if this is a bit technical, but . . .
What about left-handed sugar? We certainly wouldn't be able to turn it into energy, because our proteins are all right-handed. However, this may mean that we wouldn't taste it as sugar, either. On the other hand, we can taste a whole lot of different stuff that I'm SURE we didn't get specialized receptors for, so that may not really run on protein binding sites. Can anyone point me to some research on this?
PostThu Apr 24, 2003 7:41 pm
counterparadox

Obsessor

Post subject:
If you're talking about what I think you are, I'm pretty sure that sugar switches from left to right every so often (spending about 66% of it's time in the 'right' mode), meaning that it wouldn't make a difference. That's if you're talking about the shape of the molecular ring and not the make up of the ring, as I think you are.

Play City of Heroes/Villians? Look me up, Pinnacle server, @C Paradox
PostThu Apr 24, 2003 7:44 pm
Daikun

Obsessor

Post subject:
Quote:
That stuff in the red bag..= same as equal.

"That stuff in the red bag" is called Sweet n' Low, and the bags are pink, not red, FYI.
PostThu Apr 24, 2003 10:25 pm
dougisfunny

Obsessor

Post subject:
i dunno about rings but dextro amino acids as opposed to levo?
The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
PostThu Apr 24, 2003 10:44 pm
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Spookmonkey

Obsessor

Post subject:
I like puppies.

He's better than Pop-Rocks!
PostFri Apr 25, 2003 4:01 am
dougisfunny

Obsessor

Post subject:
And in totally unrelated news, Spookmonkey sprinkles shredded puppies on anything he deems too bitter.
The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
PostFri Apr 25, 2003 9:53 am
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Spookmonkey

Obsessor

Post subject:
*whispers to huimself while twirling his snidely whiplash moustache in his fingers* damn! how'd they figure it out! *whips cape infront of his face and tip toes off stage*

He's better than Pop-Rocks!
PostFri Apr 25, 2003 2:27 pm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Miscellaneous Babble All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: