нет

Results
Polls

Votes: 764
Comments: 7

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Toonami Infolink: Forums

Toonami Infolink :: View topic - Disney's doing something....
Toonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerLToonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerL
:: Home :: Forum FAQ :: Search :: TDA Chat Room :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
Disney's doing something....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spookmonkey

Obsessor

Post subject:
I particularly liked the death of Clayton in Tarzan. The whole sequence was sweet.

He's better than Pop-Rocks!
PostTue Feb 18, 2003 9:32 pm
counterparadox

Obsessor

Post subject:
I think my personal fav is Hades in Hercules. Although he didn't die cuz can't die cuz he's a god . . . but still.

Although, death of Scar was cool. The whole fight with Simba was all cool, and like, cool.

And then there's the defeat of Jafar in Alladin . . .

ARGH! CAN'T CHOOSE JUST ONE!

Play City of Heroes/Villians? Look me up, Pinnacle server, @C Paradox
PostTue Feb 18, 2003 11:29 pm
Daikun

Obsessor

Post subject:
My personal favorite is Jafar's death in The Return of Jafar (the only Disney cheapquel that was actually GOOD). His lamp slowly melting in lava, his skin flashing like lightning (with skeleton showing)...absolutely beautiful!
PostWed Feb 19, 2003 1:48 am
Rycel

Frequenter

Post subject:
Okay, okay, okay! So the "I'm not dead" thing was a bad idea. I just wanted to point out that, while people do indeed die in Disney movies, it's never the antagonist because it would violate the laws of "family entertainment" if movies didn't have a happy ending. Heaven forbid children learn the "life sucks and then you die" theory.
PostWed Feb 19, 2003 5:52 pm
Daikun

Obsessor

Post subject:
Rycel wrote:
Okay, okay, okay! So the "I'm not dead" thing was a bad idea. I just wanted to point out that, while people do indeed die in Disney movies, it's never the antagonist because it would violate the laws of "family entertainment" if movies didn't have a happy ending.

I have no comment.
PostWed Feb 19, 2003 6:20 pm
Spookmonkey

Obsessor

Post subject:
Rycel wrote:
Okay, okay, okay! So the "I'm not dead" thing was a bad idea. I just wanted to point out that, while people do indeed die in Disney movies, it's never the antagonist because it would violate the laws of "family entertainment" if movies didn't have a happy ending. Heaven forbid children learn the "life sucks and then you die" theory.

so Clayton having his neck snapped and scar being attacked and (probably) eaten by a huge horde of hyena aren't examples of the antogonist dieing? perhaps maleficent being stabbed through the heart with the princes sword isn't either. rorke in atlantis EXPLODING wasn't the antogonist dieing either? Professor Ratigan from a great mouse detective? Frollo from Hunchback? Ok, so I'm not really sure about Ratigan, but I am about the other examples. Tons of people die actually in Atlantis, watch the Leviathon scene and you won't see any survivors of the ships that got all blownded up.

PostWed Feb 19, 2003 6:30 pm
The_Dragon_Master

Obsessor

Post subject:
Spookmonkey wrote:
Rycel wrote:

so Clayton having his neck snapped and scar being attacked and (probably) eaten by a huge horde of hyena aren't examples of the antogonist dieing? perhaps maleficent being stabbed through the heart with the princes sword isn't either. rorke in atlantis EXPLODING wasn't the antogonist dieing either? Professor Ratigan from a great mouse detective? Frollo from Hunchback? Ok, so I'm not really sure about Ratigan, but I am about the other examples. Tons of people die actually in Atlantis, watch the Leviathon scene and you won't see any survivors of the ships that got all blownded up.

He probably meant protagonist.
PostWed Feb 19, 2003 6:52 pm
Spookmonkey

Obsessor

Post subject:
ok, well that's a totally different matter then. and you won't find many movies at all where the protagonist dies/has something horrible happen to them in the end. it has nothing (well, let's say little) to do with children. Audiences on a whole prefer not to see the hero die. It's part of the unwritten contract we as movie makers (hey, I will be soon- so I count) have with an audience. We try to keep their suspension of disbelief through entertainment and playing on emotions while the audience agrees to be entertained and suspend that disbelief. Something like a heroes death has to be grand and well, heroic. You have to make the audience feel the heroes pain and try your damndest to bring them to tears. Disney realizes that emotion and empathizing with the character is important, they do not kill indesciminantly for the most part and killing the hero off in a movie anywhere from 70-90 minutes long isn't the best idea as there is a good chance that it would shock people out of their state of disbelief and sever the emotional ties they carefully make to the character. Killing the hero is ALWAYS a tricky thing. Usually way to tricky to make it worth trying.

PostWed Feb 19, 2003 7:03 pm
counterparadox

Obsessor

Post subject:
Case in point, Cowboy Bebop(If you haven't seen the last episode, stop reading, SPOILERS ahead). I know it's not a movie, but the last episode had some of the most beautiful animation I ever saw on TV. And the action scene at the end was MASTERFULLY done. But I hated that episode. I mean, if you're going to die, then THAT is the way for it to be done in a cartoon. But it sucked just because Spike, who's UBER cool, died. Awesome death scene, and it did fit in to the plot, and it was so heroic the way he fought off the whole freakin syndicate, but I still don't like it because he died.

I watch shows and movies, or read books, to escape reality, just briefly. I can't stand depressing movies or books. Which, of course, is why my school only assigns depressing books. (Though THEY say the books are "classics")

That's why sad endings are usually only found in chick flicks. People don't like to see someone fight all cool James Bond style and then DIE. I mean, if he dies with all his gadgets and coolness and hot chicks and explosions going off all around, then how much chance do YOU have out there. Jeese, I'd jet bumbed off by a june bug . . .

PostWed Feb 19, 2003 7:15 pm
Rycel

Frequenter

Post subject:
The_Dragon_Master wrote:
Rycel wrote:
...it's never the antagonist because it would violate the laws of "family entertainment" if movies didn't have a happy ending. Heaven forbid children learn the "life sucks and then you die" theory.

He probably meant protagonist.

Embarassed Alright! So I can't type the correct word that ends in -agonist more than 70% of the time, rail on Disney because of creative differences, am a reckless procrastinator, get snails drunk instead of pouring salt on them, and never cried at the end of "Old Yeller." But does that make me a bad man? No. Does that make me a stupid man? You bet your sweet bippy it do.

I'm not saying that I don't like happy endings. In fact I love happy endings. However, entertainment is like having dinner: if you have pasta every night for your whole life don't you get tired of it. All that's on tv is pasta. All that's playing at the theatre is pasta. All you read is pasta. Pasta meets all the cute chicks. Pasta gets all the cool gear. Pasta kicks the meatball's ass. And Pasta always gets laid in the end. Once in a while, can't we have a nice, big, steaming, fart-inducing bowl of five alarm chilli? (Is anyone else getting hungry right now?) I'm saying that it's nice every once in a while to see a story with trials and consequences and maybe a little bit of sorrow at the end. I understand that too much chilli will make you cynical, depressed, and a little bit bloated, but in my humble opinion it's better than shoving pasta down your piehole day in and day out.
PostWed Feb 19, 2003 11:38 pm
counterparadox

Obsessor

Post subject:
NOTHING is better than 'shoving pasta down your piehole day in and day out'. Have you had used another food, I would have agreed with you. But pasta? Nope, sorry, it's the ultimate food. 3 times a day, 7 days a week I could eat it.

PostThu Feb 20, 2003 12:15 pm
Rycel

Frequenter

Post subject:
fvbrgtrgtfvgtrfvgtfvgtfrvgtfrvtgfrvtgfrvtgfrvgvfbgvbgvgvbgfvgv

(In case you don't know, that's me hitting my head against the keyboard.)
PostSat Feb 22, 2003 1:11 am
Spookmonkey

Obsessor

Post subject:
oh one quick thing. Animated films do not need to have a depressing ending, there are plenty of those in live action. If you don't believe me, go watch any sandra bullock flick.

PostSat Feb 22, 2003 3:08 am
Rycel

Frequenter

Post subject:
I'm not saying they have to have to have depressing endings, or middles, or beginnings for that matter. I'm just saying that they don't all have to be happy-happy-joy-joy-fun-fun-doodle-dum cutesy fests either.

By the by, which Sandra Bullock movie are you talking about? Oh, yeah, wait a second, they're all the same.
PostTue Feb 25, 2003 1:27 am
Daikun

Obsessor

Post subject:
Since when do Sandra Bullock movies have depressing endings?

Look at both Speed 1 and 2. Look at The Net. Look at Practical Magic. Look at...pretty much anything she was in. Her movies don't have depressing endings.
PostMon Mar 03, 2003 4:35 am
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Toonami All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: