нет

Results
Polls

Votes: 764
Comments: 7

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Toonami Infolink: Forums

Toonami Infolink :: View topic - Movie/TV News II
Toonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerLToonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerL
:: Home :: Forum FAQ :: Search :: TDA Chat Room :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
Movie/TV News II
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Miscellaneous Babble
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nobuyuki

Obsessor

Post subject:
Latest Dark Knight trailer available here, for the time being, at least.
PostWed Dec 19, 2007 12:44 am
Nobuyuki

Obsessor

Post subject:
Late to the party, but whatev'. Wink

You're a teacher? Cool
PostSun Feb 17, 2008 9:19 pm
Nobuyuki

Obsessor

Post subject:
Anime classic "Akira" is getting the live-action big screen treatment courtesy of Leonardo DiCaprio and Warner Bros, according to the Hollywood Reporter.

Ruairi Robinson has been hired to direct what would ideally be a two-part epic. Gary Whitta is writing the adaptation, which DiCaprio will produce via his Appian Way shingle. Andrew Lazar is also producing via his Mad Chance shingle. Jennifer Davisson, who heads up Appian, will also be involved in some producorial capacity.

"Akira" originated in 1988 as a manga and then as an animated film co-written and directed by Katsuhiro Otomo. The story was set in a neon-lit futuristic post-nuclear war "New Tokyo" in 2019 where a teen biker gang member is subjected to a government experiment which unleashes his latent powers. The gang's leader must find a way to stop the ensuing swathe of destruction.

With its mature themes and cutting-edge animation, "Akira" was a milestone movie in anime and even animation circles, and led the way for anime making inroads into Western pop culture in the 1990s.

"Akira" has long been in development at the company, with producers Jon Peters and Basil Iwanyk involved at various times, as well as directors Stephen Norrington and Pitof. The rights lapsed but Warner managed to re-scoop them again for Robinson, who came to the studio with a vision of a two-part adaptation.

The new story moves the action to "New Manhattan," a city rebuilt by Japanese money.

The studio is eyeing a summer 2009 release for the first movie.
PostThu Feb 21, 2008 12:27 am
Nobuyuki

Obsessor

Post subject:
4th ‘Terminator’ film slated for May 2009
Hollywood Reporter

LOS ANGELES - The fourth movie in the ”Terminator” franchise will reach North American theaters on May 22, 2009, coinciding with the U.S. Memorial Day holiday weekend, distributor Warner Bros. said.

Christian Bale will star as rebel leader John Connor in “Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins,” which is scheduled to begin production in the spring in New Mexico.

“Charlie’s Angels” filmmaker McG will direct the movie, which is expected to be the first in a new “Terminator” trilogy.

The series, which originated in 1984 and made Arnold Schwarzenegger a star, centered on a robot from the future where machines wage war against humanity, whose goal was to kill Sarah Connor, the mother of the future leader of the human resistance. As the movies progressed, the son, played by Edward Furlong in 1991’s “Terminator 2: Judgment Day” and Nick Stahl in 2003’s “Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines,” took a more prominent role.

Sony Pictures will handle international distribution. Warner Bros. and Sony had a similar arrangement for “Terminator 3,” which grossed $433 million worldwide, according to Box Office Mojo.
PostThu Feb 28, 2008 4:58 am
Daikun

Obsessor

Post subject:
Ask A Ninja creators to remake Attack of the Killer Tomatoes!
PostTue Mar 11, 2008 7:34 pm
Nobuyuki

Obsessor

Post subject:
Hulk Smash! Very Happy
PostSat Mar 15, 2008 5:03 am
Nobuyuki

Obsessor

Post subject:
Creator’s Family Reclaims the Rights to Superman
By MICHAEL CIEPLY, NY Times

LOS ANGELES — Time Warner is no longer the sole proprietor of Superman.

A federal judge here on Wednesday ruled that the heirs of Jerome Siegel — who 70 years ago sold the rights to the action hero he created with Joseph Shuster to Detective Comics for $130 — were entitled to claim a share of the United States copyright to the character. The ruling left intact Time Warner’s international rights to the character, which it has long owned through its DC Comics unit.

And it reserved for trial questions over how much the company may owe the Siegel heirs for use of the character since 1999, when their ownership is deemed to have been restored. Also to be resolved is whether the heirs are entitled to payments directly from Time Warner’s film unit, Warner Brothers, which took in $200 million at the domestic box office with “Superman Returns” in 2006, or only from the DC unit’s Superman profits.

Still, the ruling threatened to complicate Warner’s plans to make more films featuring Superman, including another sequel and a planned movie based on the DC Comics’ “Justice League of America,” in which he joins Batman, Wonder Woman and other superheroes to battle evildoers.

If the ruling survives a Time Warner legal challenge, it may also open the door to a similar reversion of rights to the estate of Mr. Shuster in 2013. That would give heirs of the two creators control over use of their lucrative character until at least 2033 — and perhaps longer, if Congress once again extends copyright terms — according to Marc Toberoff, a lawyer who represents the Siegels and the Shuster estate.

“It would be very powerful,” said Mr. Toberoff, speaking by telephone on Friday. “After 2013, Time Warner couldn’t exploit any new Superman-derived works without a license from the Siegels and Shusters.”

Time Warner lawyers declined to discuss the decision, a spokesman said. A similar ruling in 2006 allowed the Siegels to recapture their rights in the Superboy character, without determining whether Superboy was, in fact, the basis for Warner Brothers’s “Smallville” television series. The decision was later challenged in a case that has yet to be resolved, said Mr. Toberoff, who represented the family in that action.

This week’s decision by Stephen G. Larson, a judge in the Federal District Court for the Central District of California, provided long-sought vindication to the wife and daughter of Mr. Siegel, who had bemoaned until his death in 1996 having parted so cheaply with rights to the lucrative hero.

“We were just stubborn,” Joanne Siegel, Mr. Siegel’s widow, said in a joint interview with her daughter, Laura Siegel Larson. “It was a dream of Jerry’s, and we just took up the task.”

The ruling specifically upheld the Seigels’ copyright in the Superman material published in Detective Comics’ Action Comics Vol. 1. The extent to which later iterations of the character are derived from that original was not determined by the judge.
Compensation to the Siegels would be limited to any work created after their 1999 termination date. Income from the 1978 “Superman” film, or the three sequels that followed in the 1980s, are not at issue. But a “Superman Returns” sequel being planned with the filmmaker Bryan Singer (who has also directed “The Usual Suspects” and “X-Men”) might require payments to the Siegels, should they prevail in a demand that the studio’s income, not just that of the comics unit, be subject to a court-ordered accounting.

Mrs. Siegel and Ms. Larson said it was too soon to make future plans for the Superman character. But they were inclined to relish this moment.

“I have lived in the shadow of this my whole life,” Ms. Larson said. “I am so happy now, I just can’t explain it.”
PostFri Mar 28, 2008 11:21 pm
Nobuyuki

Obsessor

Post subject:
Mexican-born filmmaker Guillermo del Toro has been named as the director of the film version of JRR Tolkien's The Hobbit and its proposed sequel.

The films, planned for release in 2010 and 2011, will be prequels to the Lord of the Rings trilogy directed by New Zealand's Peter Jackson.

"Contributing to the Lord of the Rings legacy is an absolute dream come true," said del Toro, 43.

Jackson will produce the films, to be made back-to-back in New Zealand.

According to studio New Line, the first will be an adaptation of The Hobbit, the novel Tolkien published before his Lord of the Rings cycle. The second will be an original story focusing on the 60 years between the book and the beginning of the Rings trilogy.

Jackson and his wife and fellow executive producer Fran Walsh called del Toro "a cinematic magician who has never lost his childlike sense of wonder".

"We have long admired Guillermo's work and cannot think of a more inspired film-maker to take the journey back to Middle Earth," they said in a statement.

Del Toro's acclaimed fantasy Pan's Labyrinth won three Oscars and three Baftas in 2007. His latest film, a sequel to his 2004 comic book adaptation Hellboy, is released later this year.

The director's involvement in the Hobbit films has been mooted for some time. Earlier this month, however, del Toro said nothing was definite "until everything is signed and put on paper".

Sir Ian McKellen has already expressed an interest in reprising his Oscar-nominated role as the wizard Gandalf.
PostMon Apr 28, 2008 1:58 am
Daikun

Obsessor

Post subject:
Taken from the GigaOM blog:

Quote:
The giant Time Warner implosion starts now with the move to split off its growing cable division and use the capital to buy back shares. While the cable business brought some stability to Time Warner’s bottom line, it’s an awkward asset for a content company to hold onto, especially if the content side of the business is thinking about divestitures. And so it begins.

The nation’s second-largest cable operator will be the first to go. CEO Jeff Bewkes said today that Time Warner would split off the remaining 84 percent of its cable division with details to be worked out later. Then we’ll look for a spin out or sale of the diminishing AOL access line business, which Time Warner plans to separate from the flailing Platform A advertising business.

The logical next step is a retreat from the publishing world with magazines such as Fortune, People and Time going on the block. What will be left are the movie businesses, including Warner Bros. and New Line Cinema, and cable TV properties such as HBO and TBS. Those units brought in sales of $5.5 billion during the quarter but are under continued pressure from the Internet. Like an aging matron, Time Warner appears to be taking refuge in the arms of old Hollywood.

PostSat May 03, 2008 3:30 pm
Nobuyuki

Obsessor

Post subject:
Marvel Strikes While 'Iron' Is Hot
By BROOKS BARNES; Compiled by LAWRENCE VAN GELDER, NY Times

Ant-Man? As a summer box office titan?

With “Iron Man” proving that even a B-list superhero can sizzle at the multiplex, Marvel Studios on Monday placed big-screen bets on three of his fellows. “Thor,” the story of a partly disabled medical student whose alter ego is the Norse god of thunder and lightning, is scheduled for a June 2010 release. A tentatively titled “The First Avenger: Captain America” will follow, in May 2011. And then there’s “Ant-Man,” about a scientist who can control insects. It has a writer and director but no release date. Along the way, Marvel will serve up “Iron Man 2” in April 2010 and “The Avengers,” a team that includes Iron Man and the Incredible Hulk, in July 2011.

Marvel used to license its characters (Spider-Man, the X-Men) to other studios but began making its own pictures to retain the bulk of the profits. “Iron Man,” the studio’s first solo effort, sold more than $100 million in tickets over the weekend.

Oh, and "Happy Trails!" to you all. Wink
PostTue May 06, 2008 4:16 am
Daikun

Obsessor

Post subject:
Steven Paul's banner Crystal Sky Pictures has inked a $200 million theatrical slate financing deal with Don Starr's Grosvenor Park.

Deal covers five features, including upcoming vidgame adaptation "Castlevania," a co-production with Universal's Rogue Pictures. Project, based on the Konami vidgame, is written by Paul Anderson ("Resident Evil") and directed by Sylvain White ("Stomp the Yard").

Crystal Sky has expanded its slate of branded entertainment titles, and coin from the deal will help it further expand its development capabilities.

Other titles in the Grosvenor Park-funded slate include an adaptation of Richard Branson's memoir "Losing My Virginity," a bigscreen adaptation of vidgame "Pac-Man" and a sequel to John Woo's actioner "Hard Boiled"; company also controls the rights to Brad Thor's bestselling novels.

Source
PostThu May 22, 2008 10:56 pm
Nobuyuki

Obsessor

Post subject:
Let the nerd rage begin... Laughing

The IFMagazine.com entertainment website reports that film producer Erwin Stoff (The Matrix, A Scanner Darkly) is developing a live-action adaptation of Sunrise's Cowboy Bebop multi-genre action anime series for Fox. Stoff told the website that the project is "in the really early stages" since the parties "just signed it the other day."
Stoff promised "a real degree of faithfulness," and added, “When I met with them in Japan, one of the first things that I brought up was the experience that we had on A Scanner Darkly, and how hard we worked to remain faithful to Philip K. Dick, and that was our big concern here.”
PostWed Jul 23, 2008 5:59 am
Nobuyuki

Obsessor

Post subject:
http://weblogs.variety.com/thompsononhollywood/2008/08/superman-status.html
Quote:
They too believe that the last movie didn't break the mold and wound up in some kind of middle limbo. Today I was told that it is a priority at the studio to find the right direction and if Bryan Singer is willing to do that, fine, but if he gets in the way, he may not stay on the project. There are no writers working on a Superman script now. The studio wants to figure it out. "It might be better to start from scratch," one exec admitted.

3 days later:
Warner Bros. Confirms Superman Reboot

Warner Bros. Pictures Group President Jeff Robinov has told The Wall Street Journal that the studio is going to be reintroducing Superman. We assume this will be similar to how Louis Leterrier's The Incredible Hulk was a reboot of Ang Lee's Hulk. Here is what the article says:

Warner Bros. also put on hold plans for another movie starring multiple superheroes -- known as "Batman vs. Superman" -- after the $215 million "Superman Returns," which had disappointing box-office returns, didn't please executives. "'Superman' didn't quite work as a film in the way that we wanted it to," says Mr. Robinov. "It didn't position the character the way he needed to be positioned." "Had 'Superman' worked in 2006, we would have had a movie for Christmas of this year or 2009," he adds. "But now the plan is just to reintroduce Superman without regard to a Batman and Superman movie at all."

The article also talks about Warner Bros. adapting other DC properties over the new few years. "By 2011, Mr. Robinov plans for DC Comics to supply the material for up to two of the six to eight tent-pole films he hopes Warner Bros. will have in the pipeline by then," it says. Those projects will likely be about single characters at first, and will be darker much like The Dark Knight:

With "Batman vs. Superman" and "Justice League" stalled, Warner Bros. has quietly adopted Marvel's model of releasing a single film for each character, and then using those movies and their sequels to build up to a multicharacter film. "Along those lines, we have been developing every DC character that we own," Mr. Robinov says.

Like the recent Batman sequel -- which has become the highest-grossing film of the year thus far -- Mr. Robinov wants his next pack of superhero movies to be bathed in the same brooding tone as "The Dark Knight." Creatively, he sees exploring the evil side to characters as the key to unlocking some of Warner Bros.' DC properties. "We're going to try to go dark to the extent that the characters allow it," he says. That goes for the company's Superman franchise as well.

The studio is set to announce its plans for future DC movies in the next month. For now, though, it is focused on releasing four comic-book films in the next three years, including a third Batman film, a new film reintroducing Superman, and two movies focusing on other DC Comics characters. Movies featuring Green Lantern, Flash, Green Arrow, and Wonder Woman are all in active development.
PostSat Aug 23, 2008 9:35 pm
Daikun

Obsessor

Post subject:
Total Request Live, better known as TRL, has been officially canceled after ten years. (This was a rumor back in Feburary, but it’s a done deal now.)

TRL executive producer Dave Sirulnick said that show, which is taped in Times Square, will take its final bow in a two-hour special on a Saturday afternoon in November. He added that show isn’t “ending for good” but needs a “break.”

Originally hosted by Carson Daly, the music video countdown show premiered music videos and helped to launch the careers of Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, ‘NSync and other teen pop acts.
PostTue Sep 16, 2008 12:42 am
Nobuyuki

Obsessor

Post subject:
After the success of this summer's blockbuster "Iron Man," Paramount Pictures and Marvel Studios have extended their distribution deal for five more movies.

Under the agreement, Paramount will take a smaller distribution fee from Marvel -- 8% rather than the 10% it had received for releasing "Iron Man" -- in exchange for gaining worldwide distribution rights to the pictures. Paramount, which released the action movie in the U.S., Canada and some overseas territories, will also now distribute Marvel's films in such key markets as Japan, Germany, France, Spain, Australia and New Zealand.

Previously, Marvel had licensed distribution rights to local distributors in those territories. Paramount will distribute "Iron Man 2," due out May 7, 2010, worldwide with the exception of Germany, where the sequel was already committed to a local distributor.

The other films included in the newly extended Paramount pact are "Thor" in 2010, "Captain America" in 2011, "The Avengers," also in 2011, and "Iron Man 3," which does not yet have a release date.

Paramount Pictures Vice Chairman Rob Moore said the company agreed to take a lower distribution fee because it would get more films to distribute in a greater number of territories, which could be more lucrative for the studio.

David Maisel, chairman of Marvel Studios, a unit of publicly traded Marvel Entertainment Inc., said that given the success of "Iron Man," it made sense to continue the distribution pact with Paramount on "improved economic terms." By releasing through one worldwide distribution partner, Maisel said, Marvel believed that it could "maximize the upside" of its movies.

In a regulatory filing Monday, Marvel said it had received its first "Iron Man" check from Paramount in the amount of $60 million.

The company forecast revenue in its film production division of $125 million to $140 million this year, up from its earlier projection of $65 million to $80 million.

Marvel, which used to rely on studios to bankroll its movies, has been self-financing its pictures since securing a $525- million loan arranged by Merrill Lynch & Co. in 2005. In its filing, Marvel said it would fund 33% of the budget of each film covered by the new distribution deal and its film facility would provide the remaining 67%.

Maisel, who declined to divulge the cost of any individual movie, has told Wall Street analysts that the company's budgets range from $135 million to $165 million.

People familiar with "Iron Man" said the film cost about $150 million, excluding marketing costs.

"Iron Man" generated $574 million in worldwide ticket sales, and Paramount collected a distribution fee of about $60 million, according to a person familiar with the situation.
PostTue Sep 30, 2008 3:37 pm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Miscellaneous Babble All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 17 of 18

Jump to: