нет

Results
Polls

Votes: 764
Comments: 7

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Toonami Infolink: Forums

Toonami Infolink :: View topic - Ten Questions With Michael Eisner
Toonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerLToonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerL
:: Home :: Forum FAQ :: Search :: TDA Chat Room :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
Ten Questions With Michael Eisner

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Animation Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daikun

Obsessor

Post subject: Ten Questions With Michael Eisner
Time Magazine just recently had an interview with Disney master Michael Eisner. I must say, this is one of the most backwards interviews I've ever read in my life. Time's comments are in all caps. Michael's comments are normal talk. My comments are in bold.

FINDING NEMO WAS A SUMMER SMASH; SINBAD, A MAJOR FLOP. IS TRADITIONAL CEL ANIMATION DEAD?

What's dead is bad storytelling. Technology doesn't make the movie; the story makes the movie. (So, you're saying that Sinbad flopped because it had a bad story?) We've obviously done very well with computer animation and Pixar. (So, that's a praise, I guess? THREE CHEERS FOR 3-D ANIMATION! Rolling Eyes)

WHAT ARE THE ODDS YOU'LL STRIKE A NEW DEAL WITH PIXAR?

I can't predict exactly what kind of financial or creative relationship the companies will have together. (Why not? You're the boss, remember?) I've learned from the legal profession that whenever somebody asks you for odds, you say, "Fifty-fifty." So why don't we just leave it at that? (So, ALL odds are fifty-fifty? That's a grand way to put it. The odds of Disney making a direct-to-video sequel release of its movies isn't one hundred-zero. It's fifty-fifty.)

CAN DISNEY AFFORD TO LOSE PIXAR?

It's like asking if Disney can afford to lose any creative opportunity, and the answer is, it depends on the cost. We like being together with other gifted artists, but we are not contingent on any individual entity for growth and success. (Oh, so Disney DIDN'T lay off the hundreds of 2-D animation artists over the past few months and tell some of the survivors to use computers more often. Suuuuuuuuuure...)

YOU ONCE SAID YOU WOULDN'T TOLERATE ABC'S BEING THIRD IN PRIME TIME. YET IN THE MAY SWEEPS, ABC WAS NO. 4 IN THE KEY DEMOS. WHAT WILL YOU DO IF THINGS DON'T IMPROVE THIS FALL?

The difference between the No. 1 network and the No. 4 network is minuscule. It's like tenths of a point. Winning isn't everything. (So, you won't tolerate ABC being in 3rd place, and now you're saying you don't care, especially now that it's in an even lower place than before?) That said, our goal is to be the leading broadcast network. (...I'm getting mixed views here...) I'm not saying we're going to lead by Oct. 1. But I'm not going to worry about it if it takes six months longer than I would hope.

DO YOU THINK THE REALITY-TV TREND HAS PLAYED ITSELF OUT?

I think the explosion of this kind of television has run its course. The inexpensive, let's-watch-a-car-accident kind of reality show hopefully has seen better days. (OMFG! Michael Eisner actually said something a decent person would say! Are you SURE you're interviewing the right guy, Time? Confused)

THE FCC'S DECISION TO ALLOW MEDIA COMPANIES TO BUY MORE PROPERTIES HAS COME UNDER FIRE. IS MEDIA CONSOLIDATION GOOD FOR AMERICA?

The whole emotional issue of raising ownership levels from 35% to 45% has taken on the proportions of a mountain when it's really a hill. We support having the caps raised, but we're not violently supportive of it. (I think Eisner should've ended this quote with the word "enough." Disney holds their properties from other companies as best as they could, and they own enough companies to fill up Texas, such as ABC, ESPN, Saban, etc.)

PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN IS A HIT. HAUNTED MANSION IS DUE OUT SOON. IS THERE A THEME-PARK RIDE YOU WOULDN'T TURN INTO A FILM?

I'd never say never to anything. (Especially when people ask him if he smokes crack.) But It's a Small World: The Movie sounds like it might not appeal to audiences of all ages. (Are you STILL sure you're interviewing the right guy, Time?)

IS IT TIME TO UPDATE THE THEME PARKS?

The parks are relevant now more than ever. The more complicated and difficult the world is, the more families want to have a day, a few days or even four hours when they can escape it. The questions now are, Do people feel safe traveling in airplanes? Can they get fuel for driving their cars and afford vacations? (...No.)

WHAT'S YOUR RESPONSE TO CRITICS WHO SAY DISNEY HAS NO SUCCESSION PLAN?

I had a heart incident in 1994, so that was the beginning of those questions. I think I've proved that I'm at least healthy, if nothing else. (...How is this relevant to anything?) And we have really good managers up and down the line, including a great president, Bob Iger. And I don't think I should say any more than that.

(And now, the most irrelevent question of them all...)

YOU WENT TO THE SUN VALLEY GATHERING OF MEDIA MOGULS. WHAT HAPPENED THERE?

I was there to ski. Viacom CEO Sumner Redstone won the slalom. I'd be happy if you printed that. (...Why? We don't care about your stupid games.)
PostSun Aug 24, 2003 8:36 pm
John_Bono_Smithy_Satchmo

Obsessor

Post subject:
I particularly like the part where he infers that Finding Nemo can even hold a Candle to Sinbad, animation or storywise.
PostSun Aug 24, 2003 8:55 pm
Nobuyuki

Obsessor

Post subject: Re: Ten Questions With Michael Eisner
Daikun wrote:

I can't predict exactly what kind of financial or creative relationship the companies will have together. (Why not? You're the boss, remember?)

Translation: "We're still negotiating the pie slicing, and I don't want to show my hand to Steve Jobs until I have to."
Quote:
I've learned from the legal profession that whenever somebody asks you for odds, you say, "Fifty-fifty." So why don't we just leave it at that? (So, ALL odds are fifty-fifty? *snip*

Basically, yes. Very Happy
PostMon Aug 25, 2003 4:38 am
Daikun

Obsessor

Nobuyuki wrote:
Daikun wrote:

I can't predict exactly what kind of financial or creative relationship the companies will have together. (Why not? You're the boss, remember?)

Translation: "We're still negotiating the pie slicing, and I don't want to show my hand to Steve Jobs until I have to."

But you obviously KNOW what's going to happen if Disney regains Pixar's trust: He'll fire Joe Lasetter at the first chance he sees and take over.

Quote:
Quote:
I've learned from the legal profession that whenever somebody asks you for odds, you say, "Fifty-fifty." So why don't we just leave it at that? (So, ALL odds are fifty-fifty? *snip*

Yes, the odds of Cartoon Network picking up all 26 episodes of Neon Genesis Evangelion is fifty-fifty...
PostSat Aug 30, 2003 12:42 am
Nobuyuki

Obsessor

Daikun wrote:
Nobuyuki wrote:
Daikun wrote:

But you obviously KNOW what's going to happen if Disney regains Pixar's trust: He'll fire Joe Lasetter at the first chance he sees and take over.

Who, Eisner?
Eisner has no control over Pixar staffing decisions. Especially since Lasseter is a Pixar co-founder.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yes, the odds of Cartoon Network picking up all 26 episodes of Neon Genesis Evangelion is fifty-fifty...

<gendo> Correct. </gendo> Wink
PostSat Aug 30, 2003 1:56 am
Nobuyuki

Obsessor

Post subject:
The horror:
http://www.mouseplanet.com/david/dk030814.htm

The reaction:
http://www.mouseplanet.com/mailbag/m030828.htm
PostSat Aug 30, 2003 2:10 am
Cooolcorey

Frequenter

Daikun wrote:

But you obviously KNOW what's going to happen if Disney regains Pixar's trust

Did something happen between the two companies? I'm sorry if that's a stupid question I don't really follow animation news...
PostSat Sep 06, 2003 1:27 am
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Animation Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: