нет

Results
Polls

Votes: 764
Comments: 7

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Toonami Infolink: Forums

Toonami Infolink :: View topic - (crying) WHY WHY WHYYYYYYYYY
Toonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerLToonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerL
:: Home :: Forum FAQ :: Search :: TDA Chat Room :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
(crying) WHY WHY WHYYYYYYYYY
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fodder

Obsessor

Post subject: (crying) WHY WHY WHYYYYYYYYY
Ok lets just sit back and remember the sound of Nancy Kerrigan saying that. Then go startup your Itunes and realize that episode of 6 of the Adult Swim video podcast is....

Look at the date. No I'm not making this up..

(heavy sigh)
And interview with the guy whos the principal on Saved by the Bell

The only good thing is that in last weeks Robot Chicken they got to make fun of this by replacing the bottom label with "Crappy 80's live action network" Well Cartoon Network and Adult Swim it was good knowing you.

Maybe TV Land can start running anime
PostSat Apr 22, 2006 11:07 am
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
FinalDivineDragoon

Obsessor

Post subject:
Delusions of Grandeur about Voltron, Robotech, RoLW, etc. ?
PostSat Apr 22, 2006 1:06 pm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Fodder

Obsessor

Post subject:
Lets look at the podcast for a second. Its clips of the upcoming shows. Or was a behind the scenes look at Robot Chicken. And then you have these two doing a phone interview with Mr Principle?
PostSat Apr 22, 2006 1:21 pm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Daikun

Obsessor

Post subject:
Not everyone can get the podcast.

Just blurt it out, please.
PostSat Apr 22, 2006 4:45 pm
counterparadox

Obsessor

Post subject:
Yeah, I'm confused. But, the whole Saved by the Bell thing seems like a joke on the AS community. I think it's kinda funny.

Play City of Heroes/Villians? Look me up, Pinnacle server, @C Paradox
PostWed Apr 26, 2006 12:10 pm
Fodder

Obsessor

Post subject:
Ok I need to edit that. I was very tired when I wrote it,

Right now we are watching Cartoon Network morphing into "CN". But it was worse when this live action infection showed up at midnite on Adult Swim. So we had to deal with "Saved by the Bell" during Adult Swim.

Adult Swim has always been a sanctuary for the more ... well adult themed shows on Cartoon Network. So at midnite we end up watching a decade old show about teenagers. It just doesn't fit or make sense.

But Cartoon Network also has Video Podcasts. If you go to adutswim.com you will see the link. The first five episodes of the podcasts were either a behind the scenes look at shows like Adult Swim. Or it was clips of this weeks adult swims shows to get you to watch them.

They were pretty interesting to watch. But last weeks Adult Swim Video Podcast was of these two people calling the guy who played the principal on Saved by the Bell.

So not only did we have to deal with the lameness of losing thirty minutes of animation at Midnite (EST) we also had to deal with losing it in something small like the video podcasts. Its just really really annoying and just really points the direction where Cartoon Network and even Adult Swim are going to.

This is why I don't make new posts that often Smile
PostWed Apr 26, 2006 3:32 pm
counterparadox

Obsessor

Post subject:
Really Fodder, I think it's some sort of joke that AS is playing. As far as I can tell, they're playing all of the most ABSURD Saved By the Bell episodes, which, in and of itself, is an absurd show to begin with. Considering how they specialize in absurdist humor, this shouldn't be surprising.

Then look at their website. They have a list of message board comments up complaining to AS about this hole SBTB thing. It's hilarious. Even the fact that they changed their logo to be [crappy 80's sitcom network] shows that they are just mocking themselves and TRYING to outrage viewers.

This isn't a legitimate switch over. It's just a giant prank.

It's another reason that I love AS, too.

PostMon May 01, 2006 12:05 am
Gundam0084

Veteran

Post subject:
Ahh, the pranks of Adult Swim! I remember when they showed a repeat of Big O II when the final ep. (or close to the final) was supposed to show, and made it seem like it again the following week. That was priceless.
PostMon May 01, 2006 11:00 am
Fodder

Obsessor

Post subject:
They wouldn't go through the trouble of making a press release for this to be a prank. Cartoon Network has told the cable companies and satellite companies its breaking its charter as a 24 hour cartoon network.

This is more then a prank
PostMon May 01, 2006 11:06 am
counterparadox

Obsessor

Post subject:
Perhaps. But we've also gotten a few live-action movies on Toonami over the past few months.

I guess by now I'm just used ot trusting Cartoon Network, since they remain one of the top ten networks on cable, and have done WONDERS for the state of animation in this country over the past decade. If they stopped now, I wouldn't cry my soul out, only because the "damage" has already been done. It's almost "mainstream" to watch anime, and I don't know a single college aged male that when you say "Adult Swim" has no idea what your'e talking about.

PostMon May 01, 2006 11:35 am
nuava

Post subject:
I think it is a prank, I think Adult Swim is actually trying to make a point to the Cartoon Network Execs as to how stupid live action on a cartoon channel would be, Saved by the Bell came after the announcement of Cartoon Network not being 24 hours of cartoons. Only the people at Adult Swim (thanks to them having the highest ratings) have the power to pull this off, the balls to do it, and the fan base to survive the aftermath.
PostWed May 31, 2006 10:48 pm
counterparadox

Obsessor

Post subject:
nuava wrote:
Only the people at Adult Swim (thanks to them having the highest ratings) have the power to pull this off, the balls to do it, and the fan base to survive the aftermath.

Don't make statements like that unless you have the numbers to back it up. AS does not get the highest ratings on CN. AS DOES get better ratings than anything that was on in the same timeslot before AS came along. But bear in mind, the two are not nearly the same thing. AS gets a large share of the widely sought after 18-34 year old male demographic. But CN doesn't aim at that demographic at any other time. Miguzi should be prrof enough that during the day cartoons are aimed at those that are most able and likely to watch: children.

AS wasn't trying to make a statement with Saved by the Bell. They were just trying to be asshats and pll a prank. The funniest part is that it did just what they wanted it to do: pissed off some viewers. It's very much a "Haha, ok, ya got me" type thing.

PostThu Jun 01, 2006 1:29 pm
nuava

Post subject:
Networks only care about advertising, advertisers only care about ratings, the more that watch the more that see the advertisement. Adult Swim does have the highest rated shows on Cartoon Network, so they are thus worth the most in Advertising. And I agree that it was just one big prank, but it can still send a message too.
PostThu Jun 01, 2006 3:39 pm
counterparadox

Obsessor

Post subject:
While searching for ACTUAL ratings numbers (Anyone can SAY Adult Swim has the highest ratings on the network. It's another thing ENTIRELY for it to be either supported or refuted with actual data) I stumbled upon the following:

From http://www.cartoonbrew.com/archives/2006_04.html
Quote:
April 20, 2006
More about Cartoon Network

I received this email from a former Cartoon Network artist, who prefers to remain anonymous but has worked on a number of their projects and speaks frequently to people working there today (both execs and artists). He offers some perceptive thoughts about the network's "swindling of the viewership" and why CN is adding more and more live-action to its schedule.

I would like to start by thanking you for your dogged coverage of Cartoon Network's baffling new programming slate. This issue demands the exposure you are giving it. Bravo.

I've worked on and off for Cartoon Network for many years in Atlanta, New York, and LA, and I keep in touch with many friends at the Williams Street compound in Atlanta. Friends who have a front row seat of this swindling of the viewership. The troubling thing to me, at this point, is that I have not yet read the real logic fueling this hackneyed shift in programming.

It's about money.

Cartoon Network is showing properties that they buy CHEAP and then broadcast sandwiched between original programming. Then they charge the same advertising rates. Buying cheap and selling at a premium is something that started on the Toonami program years ago. DragonBall Z and the other anime series they slotted were all purchased for next to nothing and yet still pulled in the highest ratings of their entire schedule when shown during the afterschool slot.

I do not know what residuals are due to the creators of shows from their past that are not being shown (Courage The Cowardly Dog, Cow & Chicken, Johnny Bravo, etc), but the price of broadcasting Saved By The Bell repeats is less of a bill for them.

When everyone seems to be completely flummoxed at these changes at the network, I feel compelled to impart what I am quite sure is the real inspiration behind this programming boondoggle: Cartoon Network is simply not bringing in any real money at their channel. There is no merchandise on the market for their shows, there are no fast food toy promos, and there is not any national advertising. (Cartoon Network advertises in LA and NYC only with hopes that the advertising traffic agencies located in those two cities will assume it is nationwide.)

I don't think it is mere conjecture to state that this newest move by the network is a grim sign of the state of affairs there. Expect a major shake up in the near future. They have been reeling since Betty Cohen stepped down.

UPDATE: Below is a comment from an artist currently working there. He counters that Cartoon Network is not trying to do things on the cheap, and that they are in fact spending a lot of money to develop original live-action shows.

The motivation is definitely money, but not for the reasons your previous source has stated. They've always licensed Cartoon shows and now they're doing live-action, as an "introduction" to more live-action content. They are aggressively seeking original live-action content and have some in development. They are trying to compete with Disney and Nick, who own ratings with shows like Raven and Lizzie McGuire. But they don't wish to copy the same type of shows, they are looking for something different.

As far as merchandising goes, Warners was in control of it and did little or nothing for the shows as far as toys go. Batman was more important. And now licensing has just recently gone back to Cartoon Network. They are making big strides with top licensing companies and had a good showing at the Licensing Show this year. Also there will be Burger King promos for Foster's coming soon. I'm not defending their decisions, just trying to clarify what their motivation is, as someone who still works here and has heard it first hand.

UPDATE #2: Another reliable artist who currently works for Cartoon Network wrote in the following:

Your second insider is closer to the point regarding CN and their foray into the live action world. They've been getting their butt kicked in the ratings by Disney's live action-shows like "That's So Raven" and specials like "High School Musical." It is all about money but rather than finding and making better animated shows, they continue to make the same old animated product or when they do stumble across new product, they don't support it once it gets on air. So, much like the 2D vs. CG battle, it's much easier to blame the medium rather than the management's choices of content.

PostThu Jun 01, 2006 4:57 pm
counterparadox

Obsessor

Post subject:
From December, right here on the Infolink: http://www.toonamiinfolink.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=975

Note, for just ONE DEMOGRAPHIC, some shows have over 600 thousand viewers. Add the ages together, and you, at the LEAST, approach one million viewers, just for one show.

A recent bump on Adult Swim proudly proclaimed that Robot Chicken was hte most watched show of the previous week. With a stunning 600,000+ viewrship.

That's right, the highest rated show on AS had as much viewers as only one target demographic of other shows on CN. Meaning AS does NOT get more viewers than the rest of the network.

So, unless you can post numbers stating otherwise, well, there you have it.

PostThu Jun 01, 2006 5:05 pm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Adult Swim All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: