нет

Results
Polls

Votes: 764
Comments: 7

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Toonami Infolink: Forums

Toonami Infolink :: View topic - Animation Inquiries: Answered by The Monkey
Toonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerLToonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerL
:: Home :: Forum FAQ :: Search :: TDA Chat Room :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
Animation Inquiries: Answered by The Monkey
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Animation Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daikun

Obsessor

Post subject:
How do you alter dialogue in anime? For example, if Cartoon Network was editing a particular Gundam series for Toonami, how would they edit the word "damn" to "darn," "kill" to "destroy," etc.?
PostWed Apr 30, 2003 11:58 pm
blade-restored

Post subject:
...I did not say Miyazaki and Andou were the only ones. There may be American animators who surpass both of them, but none of them spring to mind except Disney.
PostThu May 01, 2003 12:17 am
Spookmonkey

Obsessor

Post subject:
Daikun wrote:
How do you alter dialogue in anime? For example, if Cartoon Network was editing a particular Gundam series for Toonami, how would they edit the word "damn" to "darn," "kill" to "destroy," etc.?

when they do the american dub they have the acters say both lines thats all. If they need to make a change after the lines are recorded they call teh acter up and have them come in for a quick session to get the lines they need. It's that simple. Oh yeah, and if the acter isn't available they will try to find someone who sounds like them to make the changes or recast the role entirely.

blade-restored wrote:
...I did not say Miyazaki and Andou were the only ones. There may be American animators who surpass both of them, but none of them spring to mind except Disney.

Americans don't put name recognition on their animations unless they become famous for a certain style or whatever-- like Bruce Timm, the man who reinvented batman and superhero television. Disney does tend to nab the best like Glen Keene but he isn't famous... nope, but he is one of the greatest animators alive today he has a deeper understanding of animation that Miyazaki or any other japanese animator I have yet to come acrossed. Anyway this isn't a thread for personal arguments like this is turning into so if you want to discuss this vein further start a thread or something.

He's better than Pop-Rocks!
PostThu May 01, 2003 1:10 am
CrimsonChristian

Post subject:
Dude, I am the Ultimate Joe Schmoe! Whew! When did anime officially go to being made all by computer? Because I know that Anime itself was the only animation style that HAD still used hand drawn animation.
PostThu May 01, 2003 8:17 am
Spookmonkey

Obsessor

Post subject:
all animation is technically done by hand. It's just the ink and paint that is done by computer now (with some character and background in there for good measure as well). Anyway anime hasn't gone all digital neither has american animation. It really has nothing to do with anime being anime to make it still be hand drawn.

Truthfully any halfway decent american animation studio could make anthing in the anime style but choose not to as we like to distinguish our styles more than they do. The Japanese really do need to start straying away from teh anime style more now than ever. I'll come back and make this post more coherant later after I've not just woken up (and yes it's 11:30am)

PostThu May 01, 2003 1:14 pm
blade-restored

Post subject:
Spook - Point taken. With that said...

What is the usual process for animation from concept to packaging (I know a few steps, but I'm sure I'm missing something)?
PostThu May 01, 2003 9:00 pm
Spookmonkey

Obsessor

Post subject:
This is an over simplified version of the animation process.

1. An idea is pitched.

2. A rough script is made with characters and scene discriptions.

3. A storyboard is made, all the animators and directors come together to discuss the entire film.

4. The storyboards are presented as the story. Afterwards the animatic (basicly an animated storyboard) is maed to finalize the timing of each sequence.

5. Once the story is laid out, the dialogue is recorded. This is done before animation, so the animators know what the characters will say.

6. After the dialogue is recorded, the animators can make rough sketches of just the characters. Usually these drawings are quite messy, there is still no color, or background. These rough drawings are habded down to the cleanup artists who cleanup and give the rough drawings a solid definition and are once again handed down to the inbetweeners who will take care of any rough spots in the animations flow.

7. Once the entire film has been drawn on paper, the animation drawings go to the inking department. There, the inkers scan the drawings intot he computer where they then trace over everyline and give them the finished edge.

8. After the outline of the characters has been made, the uncolored scan goes to the Painting Department. It's not to uncommon now for the inkers to also paint the digital cel's as well though some studios still have a seperate individuals to do this.

9. The backgrounds are also handled in fairly the same way only not by the character animators (who are given roughs of the background to know almost exactly where the character will be) basicly repeat steps 5 and 6 for the backgrounds.

10. Now all the elements (the digital cel and background) are composited together and esentually rendered.

11. After all the drawings have been composited the dialogue is added. Sometimes the film is edited at this step. (Very little is actually edited out from an animation, especially a feature film, if it has been animated already. Most of the editing is done at the storyboard stages.)

12. The animated film is released, and the general public (aka: you) may view it to then bitch and whine about how the japanese could have done it so much better. (nah, I'm not bitter Wink)

PostThu May 01, 2003 11:17 pm
Aunubis

Post subject:
quick question have the new gi joes started because i havent seen any ads and that last update made it seem like they did could you clear this up, sorry if this wasn't the kind of question you meant but i am in a hurry to do this sorry.
PostSun May 04, 2003 11:37 am
stFalcon5

Frequenter

Post subject:
Why are people so fiercely loyal to a poor-quality anime that they defend it's nonexistant artistic value?
PostSun May 04, 2003 6:19 pm
Aunubis

Post subject:
people like what they grew up with, for instance i love the muppets
PostSun May 04, 2003 7:06 pm
Spookmonkey

Obsessor

Post subject:
noet to self: remind people this is not a schedule thread and that it never was or will be.

std5, I can handle my own retorts, thank you.

PostSun May 04, 2003 10:41 pm
Fodder

Obsessor

Post subject:
Why was Vehicle Voltron never turned into a 3d version? Why did america never get to see the 3rd Voltron?

What other projects has Watanabe directed that a fan of Cowboy Bebop would appreciate?

Their used to be some animation houses in California that drew in the japanese anime style. Do you know of any of these and what projects they worked on?

Why the hell is Laserbeak a good guy in Armada?! Who was smoking crack when they wrote that series?

(last two lines removed to make a fellow forum poster happy. But it involved the question of why the sky was blue and why bad people don't die)
PostMon May 05, 2003 7:04 am
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Nobuyuki

Obsessor

Post subject:
Fodder wrote:
What other projects has Watanabe directed that a fan of Cowboy Bebop would appreciate?

A Shinichiro Watanabe filmography can be found here:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=774
Sorry, Spook. I thought it would help you concentrate on the "important" questions. Wink j/k
PostTue May 06, 2003 4:09 am
Fodder

Obsessor

Post subject:
Im trying to remember what episode 34 of Gundam Wing was. It seems he did the storyboard for it.
PostTue May 06, 2003 6:17 am
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Zechs

Obsessor

Post subject:
Well this is my area ^_^

Number 34 was entitled "And Its Name Is Epyon"
PostTue May 06, 2003 1:11 pm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Animation Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 9 of 11

Jump to: