нет

Results
Polls

Votes: 764
Comments: 7

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Toonami Infolink: Forums

Toonami Infolink :: View topic - How you met anime
Toonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerLToonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerL
:: Home :: Forum FAQ :: Search :: TDA Chat Room :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
How you met anime
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dreadnot

Obsessor

Post subject:
My uncle bought me a tape called "Lensman" when I was 7. I thought it was the coolest movie. *I didn't know it was called Anime, I thought it was just a cartoon.* Soon after that, my dad got "Attack of the Super Monsters" which is part Anime, part Models. Not long after that, i started watching Transformers on UPN, and G.I. Joe on USA. When I was about 9 i think, TNT was running Jonny Quest Marathons. *Got em all on tape* I also watched DarkWing Duck, and Tail-Spin (sp) along with a little speed racer, and another show.. that had a cool car.. and a robot... Spider-Man and Bat-man were among my fav.

I don't recal watching anything "Huzzah" in that time between them. *'cause you can't call Captain Planet anime* Sure, I watched disney stuff, but nuthin special.

In 2000 I was hooked on Poke'mon, I had the games, the cards, and every frikin ep on tape! *That phase passed real quick after see all the eps 15 times*

Around early summer of 2001, I was paging through the channels totally bored, and I came upon some cartoon. I was like "eh.. nothing else on" so I watched it for its remaining 12 mins. When it ended I was like "wow that was cool." I wonderd what that was called.. So it left my mind as I went out to do chores. about 2 days later I looked at the clock, and it was 4pm. I thought "Hey! That show!" so I flipped on the TV, and it was starting. The Series that got me hooked on Anime was.. SailorMoon. I loved it, I could watch the same ep for hours. After it ended, I was like "Hey, whats next?" Sure enough Gundam Wing. After watching anime for a while, I saw Toonami's website on TV, So I looked it up. I started doing research on diff animes that were showing. One of the links I stumbled into was www.toonamiarsenal.com After lurking the MB for a Month, I decided to join. As of September 7, 2001 I'v been a member.

So, thats my story.

'Oh,' he said.
YES, said Death.
'Not even time to finish my cake?'
NO. THERE IS NO MORE TIME, EVEN FOR CAKE. FOR YOU THE CAKE IS OVER. YOU HAVE REACHED THE END OF CAKE.
T. Pratchett - Night Watch*
PostSat Feb 22, 2003 1:54 am
Spookmonkey

Obsessor

Post subject:
Dreadnot wrote:
My uncle bought me a tape called "Lensman" when I was 7. I thought it was the coolest movie. *I didn't know it was called Anime, I thought it was just a cartoon.*

You did realize that that comment would piss me off, right? It was a cartoon, it is a cartoon and always will be a cartoon and my frickin lord, th is nothing wrong with that fact. All animes are cartoons. Every damnable single one.

He's better than Pop-Rocks!
PostSat Feb 22, 2003 3:04 am
Dreadnot

Obsessor

Post subject:
Bugs Bunny is a cartoon, I classify Anime differntly.

'Oh,' he said.
YES, said Death.
'Not even time to finish my cake?'
NO. THERE IS NO MORE TIME, EVEN FOR CAKE. FOR YOU THE CAKE IS OVER. YOU HAVE REACHED THE END OF CAKE.
T. Pratchett - Night Watch*
PostSat Feb 22, 2003 11:10 am
Nobuyuki

Obsessor

Post subject:
So the argument is merely semantics. Bah. (Cartoons all the way). Wink
PostSat Feb 22, 2003 1:15 pm
Spookmonkey

Obsessor

Post subject:
Dreadnot wrote:
Bugs Bunny is a cartoon, I classify Anime differntly.

Batman is a cartoon, Dragonball Z is acartoon, Lupin III is a cartoon, Superman is a cartoon, Reign is a cartoon, Invasion America is a cartoon, the Simpsons is a cartoon, Voltron, Thundercats, Robotech, Slayers.... all cartoons. The only difference is the local they come from. All of them actually deal with some serious subjects, though some only lightly, some with comedy, some take them seriously. Hell, DBZ is always talking about how there is always good in somebody somewhere. They hope for it, sometimes they don't get it. Every single cartoon has osmething to teach if you look. So just because they handle some subject differently and have a different animated style makes them more worthy than others?

PostSat Feb 22, 2003 4:20 pm
Force-Attuned_Krogoth

Obsessor

Post subject:
When in competition for my attention, yes. There are certain styles I like, and others I don't. I generally find that most American cartoons are less serious, and less conceptual, than certain Japanese cartoons. Given my outlook on life and ideologies, I prefer to spend my time on the more thought-provoking animated entertainment.
PostSat Feb 22, 2003 8:03 pm
Spookmonkey

Obsessor

Post subject:
but would ou consider a silly anime more worthy than looney toons?

PostSat Feb 22, 2003 9:03 pm
Beefy

Obsessor

Post subject:
(part 2 of 2)

One morning in early 2000, I was programming my VCR to record some show I wouldn't be home to see that night. The VCR was left on my local FOX station from watching The Simpsons the night before. When I turned on the TV that morning they had Sailor Moon on.

I had heard of Sailor Moon before, but had never seen it and had no clue what it was about. I thought it was just some dumb show for girls that had nothing better to do. I was pleasantly surprised to see how wrong I was! I had stumbled upon the last 15 minutes of the season finale of season 1.

Ever since that day I always woke up to watch Sailor Moon at 6:30 AM on my local FOX station. Around May 2000, the FOX station stopped airing Sailor Moon. Fortunately I got my satellite dish working and found Sailor Moon on Toonami. To make things better they started season 3 in June. I also found DBZ and Tenchi, which further pushed me into anime, but the show that started it all was Sailor Moon.
PostSat Feb 22, 2003 10:51 pm
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
GoufCustom

Post subject:
Well, I heard a bunch of praise from my cousins about Ninja Scroll, so I saw it, it was one of my first Japanese movies. At one point, I had gotten it on tape, but I had to return to it, because my Dad said I wasn't old enough to be watching it. Shocked Mad Evil or Very Mad I also bought the Street Fighter II animated movie. Throughout that time period I watched the Sci-Fi saturdays and anime marathons. Hell, I might have been watching cartoons, that were actually anime. Shocked
PostSun Feb 23, 2003 11:14 am
counterparadox

Obsessor

Post subject:
Well, time for me to jump on the bandwagon.

Turns out I've been watching anime since I was about 3. Was hooked on Thundercats and G1 Transformers, (and I mean HOOKED on Tranformers. Beast Wars is probably my all time favorite series), and I saw the Voltron movie (well, first 3 or 4 eps on tape) about 20 times at least. But didn't know they were anime.

About 6 years after the last Transformers ep, I'm bored afterschool, and put on the new channel that we got: Cartoon Network. Ended up watching DBZ right towards the end of the 64 eps that they had. Thought it was interesting. A few days later, I saw it again. Then I started watching it daily. Then they abrubtly put on Tree Of Might. CP was confused. CP kept watching, and saw the other 2 movies CN had, and the rest of the eps. CP was hoping that this time, they would continue the plot line. They didn't. But then they did in the fall. CP was happy. Around this time, I found the greatest DBZ site ever, www.ultimatedbzinfo.com That's when I found out it was anime, and learned all my vast DBZ knowledge.

Then CN got Gundam Wing. When you're in 8th grade, it's a pretty thought provoking show. And the ending of "I will, I will . . . I WILL SURVIVE!!!" was really cool at the time.

Then there was Tenchi, which was OK, and Tenchi in Tokyo sucked. Then there was OS, which is possibly my favorite anime I've seen to date.

Then more series came, and somewhere along the line ASA started and yeah, that's my story. Unless I have some old Transformers or Thundercats tapes somewhere that I don't know about, I don't own any anime. But I really should buy G1 First Season . . .

And I don't put anime above American animation. I agree with spook on pretty much everything he says about American animation. I like the Bruce Timm style, and it really fits with the content. Seriously, how can you NOT like Batman Beyond. I mean, Terry was voiced by the older brother from Boy Meets World. It's the same reason that you HAVE to like Ron Stoppable from the show Kim Possible.

Play City of Heroes/Villians? Look me up, Pinnacle server, @C Paradox
PostSun Feb 23, 2003 11:53 am
AnimePrime

Post subject:
I was stuck in the hospital with poison ivy (Yes it was that bad.) And turned on the tv. I saw an episode of DBZ and thought "That is the stupidest show on earth." Later my grandma from PA bought a trailer and set it up on our farm for when she came to vist. She got satilite and I would watch ronin wariors between comercials of Star Trek. I started watching reboot, and sailor moon off and on but what realy clinched it was when they brought Gundam Wing. I taped every episode (which was harder then that sounds.) and became the anime junkie I am today.

One intersting note. Since my toonami acess was in an unheated unairconditioned trailer I learned to ignore pain. I'm siting in a cold forty degree garage in te shirt and bare feet typing this and don't feel a thing.
PostMon Feb 24, 2003 11:07 pm
stFalcon5

Frequenter

Post subject:
<---- You don't wanna know.
PostMon Feb 24, 2003 11:44 pm
Phoenix_G-5

Post subject:
One day, around 1995, just got the converter box to get Cartoon Network and the Sci-Fi Channel, flipped through, on night and stumbled on a show about 5 teens fighing giant robots that were attacking and destroying cities, The Phoenix then launched its payload of missiles and blew that thing into next year. Then I really began to watch more and more anime.

G-Force is what made me like anime, Then when I saw the original japanese version, I fell off the couch. G-Force had its flaws, but when I think about it, In my opinion, it was the Version closest to the Original Japanese, and the Action, the Designs where so good, it was the greatest cartoon I have ever watched.

Three words-BRING IT BACK!
PostTue Feb 25, 2003 1:13 am
DeeLite

Frequenter

Post subject:
Some time back a spunky little friend showed me something that was a cartoon, but low and behold seeing it I saw them doing something no cartoon would do. Well, then after I started seeing anime with friday runs of Speed racer, and Saint Seiyan. And now I am where I am.
PostTue Feb 25, 2003 2:23 am
dougisfunny

Obsessor

Post subject:
stFalcon5 wrote:
<---- You don't wanna know.

Why am I guessing La Blue Girl?
The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
PostTue Feb 25, 2003 1:30 pm
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Toonami All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: