нет

Results
Polls

Votes: 764
Comments: 7

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Toonami Infolink: Forums

Toonami Infolink :: View topic - Good Non-Mainstream Animes?
Toonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerLToonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerL
:: Home :: Forum FAQ :: Search :: TDA Chat Room :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
Good Non-Mainstream Animes?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Animation Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cooolcorey

Frequenter

Post subject: Good Non-Mainstream Animes?
This thread is for all of us who aren't very exposed to anime. Put any good anime here besides the Evangelions and Dragonball Zs.
PostThu Jun 05, 2003 10:24 am
Fodder

Obsessor

Post subject:
Let me mix a couple series and ova's in here to

Patlabor (only seen the movies. First was good second was preachy). Different take on the whole mech anime

Ninja Blade - Still one of the most visually impressive animes I have ever seen

Blue Submarine 6 - a unique story line and some of the better CGI mixed in with anime.

In my head I can see this other famous Anime from '85. It used the same exact animation syyle as "Heavy Metal". And a lot of jokes from Dragonball are take offs from. Including the Kamahaha, the way master Yoshi pumps up for the first kamahaha including the blue lines around him. In a post apocolyptic future (ken?) searchs for his lost love who holds the seeds to the planets future. I remember now "Fist of the North Star". Bad animation, lousy storyline, good anime. And while your at it get "Heavy Metal" on DVD and compare the two styles

Project A-Ko and B-ko - good ones to watch after you have had your fill of mechs and superhuman aliens. There are a couple of jokes in AKo that make the whole movie worth watching. And in B-Ko her dad's use of the bowling ball launcher and his daughters flight/fight suit are... Just rent the darned things
PostThu Jun 05, 2003 12:03 pm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Spookmonkey

Obsessor

Post subject:
Don't forget Goldenboy. Though number 3 and 6 aren't very special.

He's better than Pop-Rocks!
PostThu Jun 05, 2003 12:34 pm
SpaceCub

Post subject:
Surprisingly enough, there are currently some kick ass animes airing on Cartoon Network's Adult Swim. My two recomendations would be Trigun and Cowboy Bebop. Two older Cartoon Network shows you might want to look into would be Big O and Outlaw Star.

Gunsmith Cats is pretty awesome if you like bounty hunters and guns. I'm sure Escaflowne will be mentioned somewhere in this thread as well as Akira. I've just started Hellsing and it's looking pretty cool. If you like Roroni (sp?) Kenshin you could check out Samurai X, although it's a bit more serious. Even though it's a bit old I have to mention one of my all time favs and the show that introduced me to anime: Robotech (aka Macross). If you like the veritechs but dislike the plot and animation, try Macross Plus. If you DO like the plot line and animation try Macross II. Blood: The Last Vampire is pretty awesome, although it seems kinda short. If you like old school vampire hunters check out Vampire Hunter D and of course, Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust (un-frickin'-believable). That's all I can think of off the top of my head but for the love of all that is holy, stay the hell away from Angel Sanctuary. I'm not trying to tempt you into, and I'm not joking either. If you cherish your soul DO NOT watch Angel Sanctuary. Aside from being a bad anime in general, it really is a BAD anime. I felt the need to go to church immediately afterward.

---
Tetsuo? You look like a damn crack head!
PostThu Jun 05, 2003 4:20 pm
ToonamiL

Veteran

Post subject:
You mean famous ones? Well in that case, if you're a starter, begin with Ronin Warriors. It pretty much loosens up everything. Afterwards, check Transformers cuz heck, we love 'em. I also think you make a move toward Trigun and Cowboy Bebop for your Action and sci-fi. If you can handle violence, Take a swing with The Animatrix. Not alot, very mild, but gives a start before Akira. Then take time to watch Ninja Scroll. Everyone I know including me have seen this. Then go for Ghost in The Shell. It's very sci-fi and does have your Action and Sci-fi (Actfi I call it). You don't have to follow the list, but these are just recommendations.

Also, has anyone else seen the comedian who wanted to name his kids after the Transformers? Great joke.
PostThu Jun 05, 2003 4:47 pm
Chibi_Zero

Obsessor

Post subject:
Non-Mainstream? Well I know these aren't well known in the US, Boys Be and Kanon. Both are very good animes I hope to released in the US some day but as of now there are no plans to release them. I could give you a discription but I suck at that kind of stuff.
I have yet to see all of the Ninja Scroll movie...But I have seen a few ep's of the TV series
PostThu Jun 05, 2003 5:09 pm
Nobuyuki

Obsessor

Post subject:
Bono, FAK and I all agree: Read or Die. Very clever, in an Avengers-style spy confrontatation. (That's the Steed and Mrs. Peel Avengers, not the Captain America/Iron Man ones.)
PostFri Jun 06, 2003 5:39 am
Fodder

Obsessor

Post subject:
I agree about the Vampire Hunter D's. I liked the first one better though. The second felt a little to Aeon Fluxish in its animation style

Last edited by Fodder on Sat Jun 07, 2003 6:36 am; edited 1 time in total
PostFri Jun 06, 2003 8:45 pm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Cooolcorey

Frequenter

Post subject:
I was just watching Serial Experiments Lain on TechTV. Is that series any good? I'm wondering if I should follow it closely or not.
PostFri Jun 06, 2003 10:37 pm
Zechs

Obsessor

Post subject:
Yes, Serial Experiments Lain is one of the all-time coolest shows. Simply because not one person i know understands it but they all love it.

I'm also with you three on Read or Die, has to be the best new show I've seen in a long time. There's absolutely nothing to complain about besides wishing it was longer.

When you talk about Non-Mainstreem it can mean different things. Do you mean series that are only in japan or ones that are already here but just not heavily advertised.

Great Teacher Onizuka is well...great. Largo in MT is mostly based of his character except for Onizuka being a perv. He's basically a former leader of a biker gang who finds himself wanting to become the greatest teacher of all time. Not the brightest guy on the block he chooses to solve his students problems with brute force.

Another series that doesn't get alot of talk is 801 TTS Airbats. Another short OVA series that packs a serious punch. Very funny.

Area 88. This is considered the best air combat anime of all time. Slightly older than this other stuff but still very very high quality story and plot. Think Top-Gun, Anime Style.

Azumanga Daioh. This series is about to hit BIG when the dvd gets released later this year. One of the best and most popular anime airing today. It's a comedy that surrounds a group of schoolgirls, their teachers, and their daily lives. This series doesn't have any Magical fairies or Mechas or Super Powers. But it really doesn't need any of that because every one of the characters are hysterical. This series will make you laugh no matter who you are.

Black Magic M-66. This was one of the earlier works from the man that brought us Ghost in the Shell. It's short, only fifty minutes, but still it's all around pretty good. Story goes like this taken from T.H.E.M. because I'm too lazy to explain it myself. "Two of the military's top-secret android weapons, called M-66 units, are lost and go berserk. One is hunted down and destroyed at the cost of quite a few men, but the other escapes, with orders to kill the granddaughter of its creator implanted in error. It comes down to an intrepid photojournalist, Sybel, to save a girl from a situation she has very little control over. Will she be able to do what the military could not...stop the doll-like M-66 from its mistaken mission of death?". Watch out though because there is is the obligatory gratuitous shower seen in the beggining if you're worried about havin mom and dad behind ya.

El Hazard (The Magnificent World). Now this is something you have to pick up. I havn't really seen any of it, but from what I've heard it kicks ass. It's a little like Excel Saga how it pokes fun at at things in most anime. But there is a rather nice plot that goes along with it. The art is awesome and has something from just about every kind of anime. Looks a little bit like a Tenchi/Dual kind of thing to me.

Full Metal Panic!. Okay this one has been getting alot of buzz recently and it really deserves it. It seems at first like your normal secret military organization run by pretty young girls type of show, but don't let that fool you. This series has everything to make it a classic and fan-favorite. Deep Chracters, wonderful animation. You have to hand it to GONZO, they just keep pulling out great stuff like this. I'm buying this whole thing dvd by dvd.

Furi Kuri, FLCL, Fooly Cooly, whatever you call it this is another cult hit. A favorite of Cat Morgan from the Screen Savers and one of the reasons Anime is on TechTV. It's about this kid...who has robots that grow out of his head and a girl who beats them up with her guitar. Yes, it's very wierd. Yes, it's kickass. Yes, you should buy it.

alright I'm done for tonight we'll see what I think of in the morning
PostSat Jun 07, 2003 12:44 am
Nobuyuki

Obsessor

Post subject:
The Irresponsible Captain Tylor. My #2 all-time favorite, part-M*A*S*H, part-Star Trek, a little Animal House, lots of funny and the themes of questioning authority and social nonconformity.
PostSat Jun 07, 2003 4:55 am
Cooolcorey

Frequenter

Post subject:
Zechs wrote:

When you talk about Non-Mainstreem it can mean different things. Do you mean series that are only in japan or ones that are already here but just not heavily advertised.

Mostly stuff that's here but not heavily advertised, that way I can buy the DVD's, but you could put in the Japanese only stuff too.
PostSat Jun 07, 2003 7:57 am
dillpops

Obsessor

Post subject:
Strange Dawn no one ever seems to have heard of it and I really enjoyed it ^^
rednekbob9: you're automatically a perfect match
rednekbob9: run like hell
PostSat Jun 07, 2003 9:30 am
Shinobo

Frequenter

Post subject:
I'm leaving in a few, so I can just do a couple titles.

Urusei Yatsura

NeiA Under 7

Scryed

Ebichu
PostSun Jun 08, 2003 7:07 am
Cooolcorey

Frequenter

Post subject:
My good friend says that he's seen part of scryed, and he says it's good. Has anyone dubbed it yet?
PostSun Jun 08, 2003 8:52 am
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Animation Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: