нет

Results
Polls

Votes: 764
Comments: 7

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Toonami Infolink: Forums

Toonami Infolink :: View topic - Why don't shows make it stateside?
Toonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerLToonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerL
:: Home :: Forum FAQ :: Search :: TDA Chat Room :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
Why don't shows make it stateside?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Animation Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dougisfunny

Obsessor

Post subject: Why don't shows make it stateside?
I've seen a few good anime subbed a couple off hand are Last Exile and Scrapped princess. They were only 22 episode shows, how come things like that don't make it on Toonami or the like?

It seems to me most shows that make it on are longer series like DB[Z|GT] Naruto Gundam wing, Kenshin, Inuyasha.

A lot of those are long and have time to build up a fan base, is that why those are more often aquired? I recall Outlaw Star was on a few years back, again a shorter series. They played through it a few times and then it was shelved...

I dunno... I guess maybe it just doesn't make sense for them to get licenses for titles like those.

Am I thinking way off or what?
The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
PostSun Sep 04, 2005 1:54 am
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
AdmiralGreer

Obsessor

Post subject:
You're most likely right about longer shows building up a fan base. AS does get some relatively short ones- Paranoia Agent (13 eps) Samurai Champloo (26 eps) Blue Gender (26 eps) and Scryed (26 eps) aren't that long. Scrapped Princess is 24 eps. For the current Toonami, they seem to want long series that will hold the attention of younger audiences- and maybe with AS as well, with them airing Inuyasha and Fullmetal Alchemist.
PostSun Sep 04, 2005 3:35 am
WhtHawk

Obsessor

Post subject:
Last Exile is a little too slow for my taste. Scrapped Princess was very intersting but doesn't fit the AS demographic either. AS is mostly comedy or action. Scrapped Princess is more drama than anything else. I think the fack they are going after more movies is good. They may be able to 'test the water' and see if a more dramatic and serious show would pull the ratings they want.
PostSun Sep 04, 2005 4:27 pm
ginsuboy

Post subject:
I know I should rant about this elsewhere. However, am I the only one who thinks S-cry-ed should be placed in Toonami and something as adult as Naruto (ERO-SENNINS, perverted sensei's death every 5 minutes) should be on Adult Swim?

Oh yeah, back to the topic on hand. Most Japanese shows are related to Japan. Who remembers the Inu-yasha episode when Kagome freaks out that her brother is eating a meal with lots of red in it?

Know WHY she freaks out? Red is symbolic for weddings in Japan. See? Now you just learned something new!!
PostFri Sep 09, 2005 6:44 am
Ixidor

Veteran

Post subject:
ginsuboy wrote:
I know I should rant about this elsewhere. However, am I the only one who thinks S-cry-ed should be placed in Toonami and something as adult as Naruto (ERO-SENNINS, perverted sensei's death every 5 minutes) should be on Adult Swim?

Oh yeah, back to the topic on hand. Most Japanese shows are related to Japan. Who remembers the Inu-yasha episode when Kagome freaks out that her brother is eating a meal with lots of red in it?

Know WHY she freaks out? Red is symbolic for weddings in Japan. See? Now you just learned something new!!

Or read something that I already know. You speak for Inu-Yasha and Naruto, both shows are heavily tied to JP culture in jokes or other things(Red for wedding, blah blah). Most of them slip by, or are changed to american jokes, maybe even the entire setting of the story is changed to help the flow(Azumanga Daioh Manga, Vol 1.)

Let's look at Bo^7, I do not how this show got placed in recomendation, not how it got this far. If you had seen 1 episode of this show before it was liscensed, you will know that it is random and full of non-sensical humor(perfect for kids), but it contains a boatload of JP culture references and jokes, will it be changed for suit the target age more(kids), so they can actully understand some of the randomness used int he jokes? Yes? No? Maybe? Well... I won't know, why would I watch such a show. :3

I want to hear your opinions of what they might do to Bo^7.
PostFri Sep 09, 2005 4:00 pm
dougisfunny

Obsessor

Post subject:
Screw it up royal by making the idiocy even more idiotic and less coherant.
The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
PostSat Sep 10, 2005 2:25 am
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Animation Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: