нет

Results
Polls

Votes: 764
Comments: 7

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Toonami Infolink: Forums

Toonami Infolink :: View topic - Samurai X and Hellsing
Toonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerLToonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerL
:: Home :: Forum FAQ :: Search :: TDA Chat Room :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
Samurai X and Hellsing
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpaceCub

Post subject: Samurai X and Hellsing
I was looking into buying some new anime DVDs and after my last waste of $30 (aka Jin Roh The Wolf Brigade) I figured I'd ask the experts before dropping any more money. So...

Is Samurai X as cool as it looks? I downloaded an AMV and it looked pretty kick ass, but I didn't want an anime that ruins the coolest parts by some minor character saying something very stupid and obvious or making some lame joke (like in Kenshin). I don't want this to turn into some major thread about people arguing whether or not Kenshin or Samurai X is any good, I just want a few opinions and explanations.

Part number two of my question is what all should I buy? So far I've found Trust, Betrayal, Trust & Betrayal: The Director's Cut, The Motion Picture, and what I'm assuming is some kind of TV special Atonement. Both Trust and Betrayal are 60 minutes each and the Director's Cut is 120 minutes and all 3 are $30 a piece. I figured instead of paying $60 to buy Trust and Betrayal separately I could spend half of that by buying them together in the DC. This would make sense but someone told me that the DC is just the best parts of Trust and Betrayal and not the whole thing. If I'm going to spend money on a series, I want to see it all, even if it does cost an extra 30 bones. I realize my friend's explanation doesn't make sense because the DC's running time equals Trust and Betrayal's combined running time, but I wanted to make sure and that's why I'm asking you guys.

Question number 2 (or three... whatever): is Hellsing any good? Once again, I downloaded an AMV and it looked pretty kick ass, (and how do you mess up an anime about a Vampire hunter?), but I still want to be sure. I don't mind spending $120 on an anime, as long as it's good.

---
And the bird said, "Little girl, that's your mother's blood you're drinking"
PostMon Jun 02, 2003 1:28 pm
dillpops

Obsessor

Post subject:
Off topic: welcome to the board!
rednekbob9: you're automatically a perfect match
rednekbob9: run like hell
PostMon Jun 02, 2003 1:35 pm
Zechs

Obsessor

Post subject:
Same here.

Well from what I've seen of the Kenshin OVAs I can tell you they are far beyond the series in every way and are definetly worth buying if you want alot of bloody action. The character designs are meant to be very realistic, to the point where a person not used to it would think they're almost ugly. Also if you like the kenshin series for the mix of comedy and action you might not enjoy it because there is NO funny to be had with it.
PostMon Jun 02, 2003 1:53 pm
Chibi_Zero

Obsessor

Post subject:
Quote:
Trust, Betrayal, Trust & Betrayal: The Director's Cut,

Well Trust & Betrayal: The Director's Cut is kust the other 2 on one DVD. But I read it has a few problems and lacks the extras. So knowing that I was thinking of just getting Turst and then Betrayal instead of the The Director's Cut.
PostMon Jun 02, 2003 2:32 pm
JJc14

Obsessor

Post subject: Re: Samurai X and Hellsing
first off, welcome to the board spacecub! it's good to see that some people still have concepts of grammar and spelling in this world...

anyway, onto your questions:

SpaceCub wrote:
Is Samurai X as cool as it looks? I downloaded an AMV and it looked pretty kick ass, but I didn't want an anime that ruins the coolest parts by some minor character saying something very stupid and obvious or making some lame joke (like in Kenshin). I don't want this to turn into some major thread about people arguing whether or not Kenshin or Samurai X is any good, I just want a few opinions and explanations.

well, from how you phrased that, i'd say that the first kenshin ova (samurai x: trust and betrayal) sounds like something that you'd enjoy far more than the series...it's very serious to the point where there may be one moment over the span of the four episodes that might make you chuckle, that's about it...

SpaceCub wrote:
Part number two of my question is what all should I buy? So far I've found Trust, Betrayal, Trust & Betrayal: The Director's Cut, The Motion Picture, and what I'm assuming is some kind of TV special Atonement. Both Trust and Betrayal are 60 minutes each and the Director's Cut is 120 minutes and all 3 are $30 a piece. I figured instead of paying $60 to buy Trust and Betrayal separately I could spend half of that by buying them together in the DC. This would make sense but someone told me that the DC is just the best parts of Trust and Betrayal and not the whole thing. If I'm going to spend money on a series, I want to see it all, even if it does cost an extra 30 bones. I realize my friend's explanation doesn't make sense because the DC's running time equals Trust and Betrayal's combined running time, but I wanted to make sure and that's why I'm asking you guys.

yea, adv does a good job of confusing everything with that "samurai x" moniker...the first kenshin ova is four episodes long, split between "trust" and "betrayal"...this is how the first ova was originally released in japan and over here...

the "director's cut" version was a recent release here which merged the four seperate episodes into one flowing movie...apparently, there was some new footage added, though i still have yet to see it myself...

"the motion picture" is actually a side story from within the television series, so it's basically a nicer looking longer episode...

as for "atonement", i'm not exactly sure what that is, but my best guess is that it's the second ova, titled "samurai x: reflection" in america...this takes place after the tv series, putting a more serious spin on the stories told there as well as the darker future the characters have endured from there...basically it's a look at the tv series with the same serious tone as the first ova...

as for what to buy, you can watch the first ova separate from everything else as it's mostly self-contained...i don't own the director's cut yet, but the opinions i've been hearing are that it's better to watch them as seperate episodes (the individual "trust" and "betrayal" dvds) to get the full experience...the second ova (reflection) could go either way, though it'd probably be best to watch the tv series before watching it...

sorry to say i don't know anything about hellsing, but i hope that helps you out a bit...
PostMon Jun 02, 2003 2:40 pm
TheWorldWeKnow

Frequenter

Post subject:
yes, Samurai X is awesome...beyond awesome...one of the few works I've seen that has actually lived up to my expectations...and it's generally considered one of the handful of "must see" pieces of anime out there...

okay, to answer your question: this is what I've read about the director's cut...it's a combination of the 4 OVA's (of which Trust and Betrayal are compromised); there are beginning and ending sequences to each of the 4 OVA's, which are cut out, and a few extra pieces of animation are added to help with flow...a few pieces are also cut out; if the price difference isn't that great, go with buying Trust and Betrayal separately...but it's not worth shelling out too much money just to get the OVAs in their original form, I don't think

The Motion Picture isn't particulary great...it's pretty serious in tone, unlike the series, but it could just be another couple episodes added to the series in its storyline - it doesn't advance anything, and isn't that necessary; I think it's a pretty good, however...but that might just be b/c I like the TV series (well, the first two arcs...I'm working on the third one...it's rough going so far); save your money, though, unless you're a die-hard Kenshin fan

Atonement? mmm...I hope someone will tell me about that...is that the same thing as Reflection? I know Reflection was released here recently...if you want to see Reflection, I can't give a recommendation on it...I started watching it, but decided to finish season 3 before continuing with it...I've heard lots of people express dissapointment in it, however...mostly to the tune of it not living up to the incredible story that it could be...or something...I could be wrong

EDIT: I took too long to write...Kenshin expert JJ beat me to the punch...rely on him more than me Wink
PostMon Jun 02, 2003 2:47 pm
Chibi_Zero

Obsessor

Post subject:
I have Reflection. I thought it was pretty good. I mean sure some of the parts could have been longer. But overall it was decent

Last edited by Chibi_Zero on Mon Jun 02, 2003 7:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
PostMon Jun 02, 2003 4:07 pm
Goldfinger2K

Obsessor

Post subject:
I personally haven't seen The newer Samurai X OVA, but I hear that it's very good.

Now for Hellsing.
I haven't actually finished the series but i've seen up to episode 11 out of 13. And so far this is a really kickass anime. Awesome action by Alucard(the Hunter) and pimpin' guns.
Synopsis:
Alucard (Dracula backwards) is a Vampire Hunter for an agency called Hellsing. The agency oversees and eliminates criminal vampires in England. There's a little back story about Alucard an how he became the only Vampire Hunter who is a Vampire himself. He seems to be disgusted with lesser Vapires that think highly of themselves. He meets a woman officer named Veronica and has to kill her to kill a scum vampire and she chooses to become a vampire also. The story mainly follows Veronica and her struggles to get used to being a vampire and keeping her humanity.

I have no money therefore I am against spending it.

peace
"Toonami, better than getting kicked in the nuts!"-me
"If I was so inclined, I would have groped you five times!"^O^hohohohoho!-Vash

Last edited by Goldfinger2K on Mon Jun 02, 2003 9:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
PostMon Jun 02, 2003 7:35 pm
JJc14

Obsessor

Post subject:
TheWorldWeKnow wrote:

EDIT: I took too long to write...Kenshin expert JJ beat me to the punch...rely on him more than me ;)

"kenshin expert", eh?

::bows to twwk's vast knowledge of tenchi::

i must say it's good to see you around again twwk...
PostMon Jun 02, 2003 9:28 pm
Rycel

Frequenter

Post subject:
Speaking as a person who has seen the whole of Hellsing, I'd say buy it. Why? The depends. Fortunately, I have invented this handy Hellsing Compatibility Examination (*patent pending, this means you!) to help you out. Are you ready....................good. Let's begin.
1) Do you like gun-slinging action? Y/N
2) Do you like seeing religious symbolism messed with? Y/N
3) Do you like gothic fashions/themes? Y/N
4) Do you like blatant sexual overtones? Y/N
5) Do you like seeing a dude getting shot all to pieces, crumble to the ground in a bloody mess, and then seeing him flow back together in a swirling mist of crimson and shadow? Y/N

If you answered "Y" to the majority of these questions, go get Hellsing. If you answered N, go get Kimba the White Lion. This concludes the Hellsing Compatibility Examination (I said patent pending, you little snot, now hands off!). Have a nice day. Please deposit 25 cents. Mind the gap.
PostTue Jun 03, 2003 12:00 am
SpaceCub

Post subject:
Thanks for the hearty welcome, although I was a frequenter on CNX awhile back, so I'm not very new to the whole anime msg board thing.

Anyway...

Thanks for the info on Samurai X, the only problem is that now I'll be setting even higher standards for it after hearing what you all have said. I'll probably end up buying the Director's cut. $30 is $30 and I'm not too keen on opening sequences or extras anyhow (yeah, I know, someone just shouted "BLASPHEMY!!!" at their monitor). I could very well be wrong with the whole Atonement thing and it might be titled Reflection, but I guess I'll find out tomorrow when I buy it (being employed kicks ass).

Goldfinger, after what you've said about Hellsing, I must say I'm inclined to buy it, so I'll probably drop the $120 to get the series. Yeah, being employed still kicks ass, but hey, if I ever bump into you in a mall I'll let you borrow the last DVD.

Quote:
Awesome action by Alucard(the Hunter) and pimpin' guns

I forget where I first heard it, but the original Alucard (not from the anime, from some old book I think) was supposed to be the son of Dracula. But when I read the back to the first dvd they spelled it "Arucard." I friggin' hope they don't mispronounce it the dvd I get, that would some really dumb.

Yeah, from what I saw in the AMV I downloaded, his guns are pretty pimpin'. In the one clip I saw ".454 Casull Automatic" written along the side of the receiver. And for anyone into guns, the .454 Casull is the cartridge that the Taurus Raging Bull ( http://www.taurususa.com/products/product-details.cfm?model=454B8&category=Revolver ) fires. This particular gun is considerably bad-ass (it's used to hunt Cape buffalo), and was the most powerful handgun in mass production until the Smith & Wesson 500 ( http://www.smith-wesson.com/Products/Firearms/m500.htm# Click on the "caliber comparison" and yes, those are shown actual size) came out this year. So, yeah, I think anyone wielding a gun that fires that bad boy is cool in my book.

---
While your guns have "REPLICA" written along the side, mine has "DESERT EAGLE POINT FIVE-OH"
PostTue Jun 03, 2003 12:42 am
Nobuyuki

Obsessor

Post subject:
SpaceCub wrote:
I forget where I first heard it, but the original Alucard (not from the anime, from some old book I think) was supposed to be the son of Dracula.

Son of Dracula, Universal Pictures, 1943

Quote:
But when I read the back to the first dvd they spelled it "Arucard." I friggin' hope they don't mispronounce it the dvd I get, that would some really dumb.

Don't worry about the English dub, but it is "Arucard" in the subtitles. You'd think the Japanese would have bought some "L"-s when they had all that money in the '80's... Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Yeah, from what I saw in the AMV I downloaded, his guns are pretty pimpin'. In the one clip I saw ".454 Casull Automatic" written along the side of the receiver. And for anyone into guns, the .454 Casull is the cartridge that the Taurus Raging Bull ( http://www.taurususa.com/products/product-details.cfm?model=454B8&category=Revolver ) fires. This particular gun is considerably bad-ass (it's used to hunt Cape buffalo), and was the most powerful handgun in mass production until the Smith & Wesson 500 ( http://www.smith-wesson.com/Products/Firearms/m500.htm# Click on the "caliber comparison" and yes, those are shown actual size) came out this year. So, yeah, I think anyone wielding a gun that fires that bad boy is cool in my book.

And that's the small one... Wink
PostTue Jun 03, 2003 2:21 am
Spookmonkey

Obsessor

Post subject:
Nobuyuki wrote:
SpaceCub wrote:
I forget where I first heard it, but the original Alucard (not from the anime, from some old book I think) was supposed to be the son of Dracula.

Son of Dracula, Universal Pictures, 1943

More than likely he heard it somewhere like Castlevania III or Symphony of the Night. Though the movie isn't out of the question.

As for the Arucard/Alucard thing. (note this isn't pointed at anyone in particular) It's frickin' translated language. Japanese doesn't have L's. Closer to the japanese language forces the pronouncment of L's as R's. Arucard doesn't sound right, say it out loud, now didn't it sound like a drunk said it? Now say Alucard, the sylybuls are crisp and clean, almost elegant. This is something them folks who write out the scripts and stuff for the talent take into mind. So, do you like Bejita or Vegita? I'll find a way to reach through my computer, into the internet and strangle you (again, not refering to anyone if particular) in their sleep with a pretty pink feather boa if you said Begita. Shit changes for american release and there is always a reason.

He's better than Pop-Rocks!
PostTue Jun 03, 2003 3:41 am
Goldfinger2K

Obsessor

Post subject:
Well his other gun is the Jackal! it's supposedly 390mm, that's about 1 foot and 4 inches long, and it's 37 pounds. Talk about a REAL badboy!

peace
"Toonami, better than getting kicked in the nuts!"-me
"If I was so inclined, I would have groped you five times!"^O^hohohohoho!-Vash
PostTue Jun 03, 2003 9:09 pm
SpaceCub

Post subject:
First off, I'd like to thank you guys for all the help. I'm very pleased with my purchases.

Quote:
the only problem is that now I'll be setting even higher standards for it after hearing what you all have said.

No problem here. I watched the Director's Cut yesterday and at the risk of sounding less of a man... that was beautiful. The animation was crisp and clean, the fight scenes were wicked awesome, and the plot was, dare I say?... perfect. I'd love to give it's praises on this board, but I can't seem to find the "SPOILER" warning. Although I haven't seen Trust and Betrayal in their original form, I think I still would have prefered the Director's Cut. The scenes flowed perfectly and with out the opening sequences it was just like watching a movie that I could really get into. I have to say anyone with thirty bucks to spare should watch this.

Hellsing was excellent as well. Animation was spot on, fight scenes rocked, and I can tell that the story line is going to be even more interesting as the series progresses. My one complaint is that it all seemed to go too quickly. I had to check the running time on the back of the case to be sure that there were indeed 25 mins per ep. I know this isn't the show's fault, but I just wanted to see more. I guess I'll be buying the rest of the series after work tomorrow.

Thanks again, and by the way, it is Reflection, I was wrong.

---
I feel like getting a bite to drink.
PostWed Jun 04, 2003 5:20 pm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Toonami All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: