нет

Results
Polls

Votes: 764
Comments: 7

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Toonami Infolink: Forums

Toonami Infolink :: View topic - What's with toonami's 'recent' glut of junk anime?
Toonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerLToonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerL
:: Home :: Forum FAQ :: Search :: TDA Chat Room :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
What's with toonami's 'recent' glut of junk anime?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
soapcore

Post subject: What's with toonami's 'recent' glut of junk anime?
Rave Master
DICE
One Piece(upcoming)
Dual Masters

What do these shows all have in common? They're utter garbage. They didn't last on regular(non cartoon network) television for a reason: they're terrible. And they're now, or soon will be, on Cartoon Network.

It's a trend I've noticed building over the past couple of years as anime in general moves towards the Mainstream. Networks aquiring the licsence to air/distribute "junk" anime, doing a poor/crap translation, and shoving it into the face of consumers in hope to turn a profit. It's a flooding of the market, quantity over quality.

Cartoon network/Toonami have consistantly been on top of things with the Adult Swim/Toonami lineup, and I have to commend them, because credit is due where credit is due. It's sttill some of the best programming on TV IMHO, and I make plans to tune in and watch on a weekly/daily basis.

But when they have a fairly heavy pull within the industry to release extremely decent anime onto US television, why are they, I will go so far as to say, SPAMMING us with this garbage? This is the kind of stuff that 6 year olds in japan watch. They're neither involved nor are they particularly stimulating to view, and they certainly don't deserve a prime time slot on a saturday evening.

There are more than enough -DECENT- anime, anime that've already been translated, in existance, just waiting for syndication, Many of them of a greater/higher quality than any of these listed above.

Shows like "Last Exile", "Gad Guard", "Wanderers of El-hazard", or "Bubblegum Crisis 2040" appeal to the masses. If you want mega fighting/action to please the Dragonball Z crowd, Why not bring over the absurdly violent/cool mecha show "Yushao GaoGaiGar(king of braves gaogaigar)", or even fan-favorite "Naruto". An inuyasha topper? what about "Fushigi Yugi"? Want old school anime? How about "Ranma 1/2" or Haunted Junction? And what About Evangelion? Practically everyone and their mother is familiar with this show by now.

The point is, coming from a network which got Sunrise Japan to finish the rest of 'Big-O' because US viewers wanted to see them, or brought "Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex" to TV, these kinds of shows come off as almost insulting. I understand if the network is moving more towards a kid-friendly mentality, but there're MUCH better things you could play on your network than a poorly dubbed "DICE", let alone "Duel Masters".

-Alyssa
PostSat Feb 26, 2005 10:42 pm
Nobuyuki

Obsessor

Post subject: Re: What's with toonami's 'recent' glut of junk anime?
First, if you're going to bitch about Toonmi, do it in the right forum. Wink

Now:
soapcore wrote:
Shows like "Last Exile", "Gad Guard", "Wanderers of El-hazard", or "Bubblegum Crisis 2040" appeal to the masses.

Last Exile and Gad Guard currently air on G4.
El-Hazard: The Wanderers, along with El-Hazard: The Magnificent World and Fushigi Yuugi aired on International Channel for two years.
BGC 2040 used to be an Action Channel staple before going to The Anime network.
Quote:
If you want mega fighting/action to please the Dragonball Z crowd, Why not bring over the absurdly violent/cool mecha show "Yushao GaoGaiGar(king of braves gaogaigar)"

If somebody could work through the various licensing rights, it might work.
Quote:
or even fan-favorite "Naruto".

What rock have you been under for the past week? Naruto's coming to Toonami this fall.
Quote:
An inuyasha topper? what about "Fushigi Yugi"?

See above.
Quote:
Want old school anime?

No, they don't, to tell the truth. Wink
Quote:
And what About Evangelion? Practically everyone and their mother is familiar with this show by now.

So why bother showing it on TV? Even if it is running on The Anime Network now.

Quote:
The point is, coming from a network which got Sunrise Japan to finish the rest of 'Big-O' because US viewers wanted to see them, or brought "Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex" to TV,

Where they air on [as], not Toonami.
Quote:
these kinds of shows come off as almost insulting. I understand if the network is moving more towards a kid-friendly mentality, but there're MUCH better things you could play on your network than a poorly dubbed "DICE", let alone "Duel Masters".

-Alyssa

Then don't watch them. Nobody's forcing you.
PostSat Feb 26, 2005 11:17 pm
AngelHedgie

Post subject:
(sigh)

First, please read the disclaimer.
TylerL wrote:
Disclaimer: Toonami Infolink, its creators and their kin are not owned by, affiliated with, or bossed around by Williams Street, Cartoon Network, Turner Broadcasting, AOL Time Warner, Long John Silvers, Tremont Corp (they do something with titanium), or the Corporation for Public Broadcasting.

In other words, if you want to bitch about programming, please go here.

Tell me, are these shows any better than the 22 minute toy ads we used to watch when we were kids? Please be honest with yourself - are they truely better than the uber-toyetic shows we remember from our childhoods? Toonami is a good block, but it also has to make money, and it's shows like D.I.C.E. that mean we get the shows that we love.

As for the poor dubs, that's not on CN or WS. Both Tokyopop (Rave Master) and 4Kids (One Piece, among others) are notorious for mauling dubs. (Go talk to an Initial D fanboy sometimes, and see how many profanities they spew forth when you mention Tokyopop.) CN does the best it can to insure solid dubs, but the onus is on the company doing the work.

Also, let's not forget that this is not 2000 anymore. Newtype USA lists eight separate channels that air anime on a regular basis. Even if we toss the "kiddie" channels, that's still five networks fighting over the same pool - Anime Network, CN, G4, Action Channel, and International Channel. And what might be acceptable on one may not be on another. (For instance, Action aired a few months back Fist of the North Star - that show would never be acceptable on CN, not even on [as].) CN isn't the only one licencing anymore, and that indeed influences them, especially after Slayers and Escaflowne.

Now, let's look at your suggestions:

Last Exile - licenced to G4.
El-Hazzard - unlikely, as it's a dated series. (Remember how First Gundam did?) Best bet is IC.
Bubblegum Crisis 2040 - two strikes against it - 1) it's very adult, and 2) it's an ADV property, IIRC. In other words, more likely Anime Network material.
Naruto - Fall 2005, Only Toonami. You really should read animation news.
Fushigi Yugi - I don't know what would be more offputting - the sexual abuse, or the treatment of the dead in the series.
Ranma 1/2 - Transsexuality bad.
Haunted Junction - Shota-con worse.
NGE - Okay, CN has enough problems with Bozell as is. Do you want to start a war? Besides, Giant Robot Week ratings weren't exactly inspiring.

The overall point is, you want to approach this as an anime fan - you can't. CN is in many ways tugged at all corners, and as much as the higherups would love to put authentic shows that suit them on, they have to look at the realities of business. And that means choosing to put on something that will bring in money over something that would appeal to only a small subset of people (and let me remind you, a subset that often denounces them.)

Edit: Damnit, Nobu, let us have fun taunting the noobs!

Best line from a Cartoon Cartoon: "Sometimes love hurts, Pud'n. And I love you very much."
PostSat Feb 26, 2005 11:58 pm
FinalDivineDragoon

Obsessor

Post subject:
First off: Angelhedgie, you rock on an infinite amount of levels

Second: taken straight off of CN's website

Quote:
Duel Masters: The animé series about Shobu, a master of an engrossing playing card game who can bring the cards’ creatures to life, returns in March with twenty-six new episodes.

If it's terrible then explain why the second season is airing next month?
PostSun Feb 27, 2005 12:50 am
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nobuyuki

Obsessor

Post subject:
FinalDivineDragoon wrote:
If it's terrible then explain why the second season is airing next month?

The same reason that D.I.C.E. (love Fodder's nickname for it Laughing ) got 26 more episodes- Kids love it. Wink
PostSun Feb 27, 2005 12:53 am
FinalDivineDragoon

Obsessor

Post subject:
Yes, but there's nothing wrong with us adults partaking in the simpler joys these shows bring. If some people can't accept the shows for what they are then a) they are missing out on some good entertainment and b) they don't have to watch it at all.

Of course there's nothing wrong with watching 22 minute toy ads now is there?
PostSun Feb 27, 2005 1:18 am
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
AdmiralGreer

Obsessor

Post subject:

Yes there is, when you're also in your 20s and play Yugioh or Duel Masters in between classes.

But in defense of soapcore, she (based on the sig at the end) DID use okay spelling, mechanics, and grammar, which is more then can be said for most of us.
PostSun Feb 27, 2005 1:35 am
Nobuyuki

Obsessor

Post subject:
AdmiralGreer wrote:

Yes there is, when you're also in your 20s and play Yugioh or Duel Masters in between classes.

Well I'm in the clear, then. Wink
PostSun Feb 27, 2005 1:47 am
KingSpanky

Obsessor

Post subject:
Wow. Angelhedgie, I love you. Greatest noob ever.
PostSun Feb 27, 2005 2:14 am
AngelHedgie

Post subject:
Nobuyuki wrote:
Kids love it. Wink

Damn it, Nobu, no bringing back old Toonami memories! Wink

Best line from a Cartoon Cartoon: "Sometimes love hurts, Pud'n. And I love you very much."
PostSun Feb 27, 2005 9:40 am
JKyle

Veteran

Post subject:
I can't believe no one jumped you for lumping One Piece in with Dice...

I mean wow. This board's N00B Hunters HAVE gotten lax.
PostMon Feb 28, 2005 5:41 am
Fodder

Obsessor

Post subject:
What?! IT GOT RENEWED! Whats this world coming to when i cant see the Freiza saga in its edited, dubbed, missing 13 episodes glory for the 45th time in a row and then a show like D.I.C.E gets renewed?!

So sad and i have to wait until June for new Harvey Birdmans. Is there a god? Well according to DBZ there isnt and i think DICE needs to be in the Home For Infinite Losers.
PostMon Feb 28, 2005 8:05 am
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
KingSpanky

Obsessor

Post subject:
Actually, he more than likely has only seen the One Piece Edit on FoxBox. That right there is trash and should be deemed so. However, the original One Piece rocks hardcore. Now if he implied that the orginal One Piece sucks, then I would glomp him but since he didn't, I held off.

However, TI's public whore(paperboy) might jump in on some of that action.
PostMon Feb 28, 2005 5:42 pm
Fodder

Obsessor

Post subject:
Ok Spanky Micheal Bolton kicks ass!
PostMon Feb 28, 2005 7:43 pm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Daikun

Obsessor

Post subject:
...and that no-talent ass clown became famous and started winning Grammys.
PostTue Mar 01, 2005 3:19 am
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Toonami All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: