нет

Results
Polls

Votes: 764
Comments: 7

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Toonami Infolink: Forums

Toonami Infolink :: View topic - Jackie Chan leaves action stardom; moves on to other genres.
Toonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerLToonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerL
:: Home :: Forum FAQ :: Search :: TDA Chat Room :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
Jackie Chan leaves action stardom; moves on to other genres.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Miscellaneous Babble
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daikun

Obsessor

Post subject: Jackie Chan leaves action stardom; moves on to other genres.
Quote:
Jackie Chan is attempting his most daring stunt ever: becoming what he calls a "true actor." Chan says he wants to shed his action star image in favor of meatier roles that require dialogue and emotion instead of punches and kicks.

"I want to change. I want to be like Robert DeNiro. I want to be Dustin Hoffman," said the big-screen star from Hong Kong. "I don't always want it to be like the old days. ... I want to change my image. I want to become an actor who can fight — not an action star."

At 50, the high-flying martial arts master says he'll probably do his own stunts for another five years. But a more serious image could provide some job security, he said.

"Even though I'm pretty good, how long can I keep fighting?" he said. "Look at Robert DeNiro. Look at Clint Eastwood. They still can act."

Chan was in Hawaii promoting his latest film, Around the World in 80 Days, which opens nationwide on Wednesday.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20040612/ap_en_ce/people_jackie_chan_2

Got any thoughts on this?
PostSun Jun 13, 2004 5:04 am
gfpaperboy22

Loser

Post subject:
When it comes to him and dialogue, I think Chris Tucker summed it up best by saying, "Hell, Ain't no one who understands the words coming outta your mouth."
PostSun Jun 13, 2004 11:47 am
dougisfunny

Obsessor

Post subject:
I was thinking the same thing... though not in so many words
The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
PostSun Jun 13, 2004 4:09 pm
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ToonamiL

Veteran

Post subject:
Wait.....he's 50? Whoa, you learn something everyday.
PostMon Jun 14, 2004 12:02 am
Goldfinger2K

Obsessor

Post subject:
Yeah man, Jackie Chan's been around for a long time.
I like his old movies best though. Not this weird kiddy crap he's been putting out lately i.e. The Tuxedo, adn Around the World in 80 Days.
Even Shanghai Knights lacked a lot of the old school Jackie Chan charm.
But it was better than this stuff. The Rush Hour movies were great though.

peace
"Toonami, better than getting kicked in the nuts!"-me
"If I was so inclined, I would have groped you five times!"^O^hohohohoho!-Vash
PostMon Jun 14, 2004 1:59 am
dbzgundam

Post subject:
Well, he certainly may be able to get "true acting" in Hong Kong films, as those would be far easier to act in, I would imagine..... I'm not saying he's a bad english actor, it's really just a language barrier that Hollywood probably only wants to exploit rather than ignore that and make a "good movie." (So far, I haven't liked any of his movies really aside from the Rush Hour series, I just watch his newer movies..... Because it's him!)
PostThu Jul 01, 2004 10:40 pm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Shinobo

Frequenter

Post subject:
Have any of you SEEN his Chinese films?

This doesn't bode well.
Google.com
LiveJournal
PostThu Jul 01, 2004 10:48 pm
dbzgundam

Post subject:
Shinobo wrote:
Have any of you SEEN his Chinese films?

This doesn't bode well.

Are you going to bash me for saying no? Wink
PostThu Jul 01, 2004 10:56 pm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Shinobo

Frequenter

Post subject:
Well, because I'm an elitist hipster bastard, yes.

(No.)
Google.com
LiveJournal
PostThu Jul 01, 2004 11:14 pm
Zechs

Obsessor

Post subject:
Ugh Jackie Chan's latest movies have been the cream of the CRAP. I nearly walked out of the Tuxedo when I saw it in theaters and The Medallion must have been the worst movie I've ever seen without being so bad it's funny....its' just BAD. I have yet to see Around The World in 80 Days but hopefully from the reviews I've read it's not nearly as bad.

Jackie has always seemed to go with a quantity over quality on his movies signing up for just about anything(Over 92 films). Which usually means he ends up with quite a few misses for every hit. His Chinese cinema movies(with a few exceptions) are not superb, but they are good Martial Arts movies. With them, lame stories and actors are expected, and your mind can always make excuses for bad lines due to the language barriers. American cinema doesn't have that kind of leeway, these are high budget movies with american trained actors and should not suck this bad. Though I'm not saying he can do no right, both the Rush Hour and Shanghai series' are the way Jackie chan should be; A lead character that can make up for Jackie's limited dialouge(I.E. Chris Tucker/Owen Wilson) and leave room for him to do his martial arts.

He's a bad America style actor, we all know it, but we still love him.

If you'd like to see some good Jackie Chan I suggest you go rent the Drunken Master, Rumble In the Bronx, Project A, Police Story, Winners Or Sinners, and for a movie that truly shows his and Sammo Hung's abilities as actors watch Heart Of Dragon.
PostFri Jul 02, 2004 12:31 am
counterparadox

Obsessor

Post subject:
Rush Hour 2 was one of the few sequels that was better than the original, in my opinion. Shanghai Noon rocked. Shanghai KNIGHTS sucked ass.

But yeah, if you haven't seen Drunken Master, then you suck. It's one of my favorite movies of all time. I think, like, all ecept for one scene is a fight-scene. And they're good fight scenes.

Play City of Heroes/Villians? Look me up, Pinnacle server, @C Paradox
PostFri Jul 02, 2004 9:58 am
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Miscellaneous Babble All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: