нет

Results
Polls

Votes: 764
Comments: 7

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Toonami Infolink: Forums

Toonami Infolink :: View topic - Animation News
Toonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerLToonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerL
:: Home :: Forum FAQ :: Search :: TDA Chat Room :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
Animation News
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19, 20, 21  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Animation Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
counterparadox

Obsessor

Post subject:
Those are some nice ratings for CN. But no mention of Toonami or GRW. Hmm . . .

Play City of Heroes/Villians? Look me up, Pinnacle server, @C Paradox
PostWed Mar 05, 2003 2:26 pm
Spookmonkey

Obsessor

Post subject:
Japanese fans are taking legal action against Disney's Japanese divison over the DVD release of Spirited Away, animator Hayao Miyazaki's latest masterpiece. The fans say that the DVD release of the film has a very noticeable red tint to it, and that it ruins the experience of the film.

The three fans who filed the suit against Disney say that they have proof of the defect, from computer analysis of the film. Each of the fans is suing for 100 yen (around $85 US), and a replacement copy of the DVD. Disney has been aware of the problem, but will not issue a recall, stating that the colors of the DVD depend on "the replay environment." Although the amounts of compensation sought are relatively small, there could be damaging repercussions for Disney if the fans' suit is successful.

He's better than Pop-Rocks!
PostWed Mar 05, 2003 2:47 pm
Spookmonkey

Obsessor

Post subject:
Seth MacFarlane, creator and exec. producer of the Fox animated series The Family Guy, tells Animation Magazine Online that he has teamed up with the makers of Kingpin and There's Something About Mary to produce the first R-rated computer animated feature.

The Farrelly Brothers are producing and MacFarlane is taking on writer/director duties for Party Animals for Twentieth Century Fox. While Macfarlane is now a veteran in the animation business, this will be the second toon foray for Bobby and Peter Farrelly, the reigning kings of irreverent humor and gross-out comedy, who directed the 2001 pic Osmosis Jones. They will be working with the Fox Animation division.

Party Animals is based on the book Frisco Pidgeon Mambo by C.D. Payne. The satirical yarn follows three pigeons that get booted from their comfortable digs in a Berkeley lab to face life on the streets of San Francisco.

While specific details of the film version are still under wraps, MacFarlane went on to say "It's going to be pretty groundbreaking, I think. I'm having a really good time with it."

PostWed Mar 05, 2003 7:06 pm
Spookmonkey

Obsessor

Post subject:
Pop songs, manga, anime, and television series are all forms of Japanese popular culture with a large following among young people throughout Asia.

Writing in the March issue of Chuo Koron article in "Will Pop Culture Be the Engine That Unifies Asia?" Masahiko Ishizuka, managing director of the Foreign Press Center, reports on how pop culture was received at the Asia-Pacific Journalists' Meeting held in Tokyo last fall by the FPC and on the influence of pop culture in regional integration.

He says that behind the popularity of Japanese pop culture in Asia lies the fact that, thanks to economic development, living standards in other Asian countries have now risen to levels similar to those in Japan.

Lifestyles and consumer culture in other Asian countries have also become much like those in Japan. And people in countries like China and South Korea seem to feel an ethnic and cultural affinity with the Japanese.

But none of this means that these people necessarily like or respect Japan, notes Ishizuka. Young people may not care at all where pop culture comes from, and hopes that pop culture will have a favorable impact on regional integration may prove overblown. One audience member at the journalists' meeting stated, "The closer you look, the more the idea of 'Asian values' appears to be a mirage."

While Ishizuka accepts that something positive may come from this new synthesis of pop culture in Asia as it undergoes globalization, he emphasizes the need to look at things more thoroughly in order to better discern trends.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Here's proof that the current uptrend in animation is worldwide. Taiwan, the island nation off the southwest coast of China, will host the Taiwan International Animation Festival in three Taiwanese cities next month.

The festival will feature exhibitions by Taiwanese animators, and has been organized by director Chen Yi-ching and the National Film Archive. While Taiwan is better known for doing tweening work for other company's productions, such as Disney's lower-budget works, the exhibition's backers believe that the nation has the potential to make considerable progress in developing its own original works.

The exhibition will tour Kaohsiung, Taipei and Hsinchu throughout April.

PostWed Mar 05, 2003 10:17 pm
Helwood

Post subject:
Hello
PostFri Mar 07, 2003 6:23 pm
Daikun

Obsessor

Post subject:
Animation director Genndy Tartakovsky (Samurai Jack) told the Star Wars Homing Beacon newsletter that he's beginning work on the upcoming animated Star Wars: Clone Wars series for Cartoon Network. Clone Wars, a series of animated shorts, will air on the network starting in the fall.

"Luckily Samurai Jack is just ending up," Tartakovsky told the newsletter. "I finished the last storyboard in December. So, slowly, Star Wars just took over. I'll still be doing post-production on Samurai Jack until the very end of Star Wars, and we’ll be done Star Wars by late summer."

Many of the Samurai Jack crew will work on Clone Wars, Tartakovsky said. "We're a pretty slim crew, because I wanted it to have more of a personal touch, so it doesn't get too huge." The crew includes art director Paul Rudish, who is doing all the main designs; Dave Dunnet, who is doing the background designs; Scott Wills, the background painter; and Michel Gagne, who will do all the effects designs. "I wanted all the effects to be really stylized and specific, so it feels more nurtured," Tartakovsky said. "He's going to design them all and animate a lot of them himself."
PostFri Mar 07, 2003 7:11 pm
counterparadox

Obsessor

Post subject:
Samurai Jack is ending? For good? And no one mentioned it? WHY MUST IT END?!?! Ugh, why can't the tastes of hte rest of America be like mine?

PostFri Mar 07, 2003 7:48 pm
Spookmonkey

Obsessor

Post subject:
my thought is they are just wrapping up this next season and will either do less eps for next or put it on haitus for a little while.

Looks like others are following in the footsteps of Andy Serkis and Gollum (The Two Towers) . According to The Hollywood Reporter, actor Alan Tudyk (A Knight's Tale, Ice Age) has been tapped to be the animation reference to the CG character Sonny opposite Will Smith in the sci-fi action film I, Robot for 20th Century Fox and director Alex Proyas.

Shooting for the film begins on May. I, Robot is being produced by Laurence Mark and John Davis, with Wyck Godfrey and Topher Dow executive producing. Inspired by the classic story collection by sci-fi author Isaac Asimov, is a futuristic thriller in which a detective (Smith) investigates a crime that may have been perpetrated by a robot (Tudyk), even though the three prevailing laws of the robot society suggest that such a crime is impossible.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Recently MTV announced their plans to produce a new animation Spiderman series in "Wizard Magazine". Riding off the popularity of Sony's hit film, Spiderman's newest incarnation is based off the characters from the film, not the comic.

"We thought we could do a really great animated drama," said MTV executive Marian Davis. "Since 'Aeon Flux,' we haven't really done a cool, dramatic series and I think 'Spider-Man' will be one of those series with great action, but also more in terms of personal stories."

The series is a continuing serial saga that takes place right where the film left off. With a more hip attitude and a collection of villains, both old and new, Spiderman really makes an effort to entertain the "MTV generation".

The animation is a mix of 3D rendered backgrounds with 2D drawn characters. "I've seen nothing out there right now that compares to what we're doing," added Paden. "And I've been looking! We're absolutely going to amaze and please our audience."

In more recent news, Peter Parker will be voiced by none other than Neil Patrick Harris, better known for this role on Doogie Howser M.D.. "It's all computer-generated 3D animation. Very cool stuff," says Harris, who has done much voice work.

Ok, so we actually new most of the spider-man news, but hey, this is for those who didn't.

PostSat Mar 08, 2003 12:06 am
Spookmonkey

Obsessor

Post subject:
Cartoon Network has scheduled a 15-hour "April Fools Day Monkey Marathon" for April 1, airing from 8am to 11pm (ET/PT).

The marathon will consist of a broad mix of cartoons, each one prominently featuring a monkey, an ape, a chimpanzee, or some other lower primate. Among the series and episodes to air: the Bugs Bunny cartoons "Gorilla My Dreams," "Hurdy Gurdy Hare," and "Apes of Wrath"; the Space Ghost episode "Planet of the Space Monkeys"; and episodes from The Banana Splits that feature Bingo the Gorilla in a starring role.

Grape Ape, Magilla Gorilla, Mojo Jojo, and Monkey (from Dexter's Laboratory) will also take star turns. There will also be classic monkey-centric episodes of The Flintstones, Josie & The Pussycats and Super Friends.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Cartoon Network reports that Codename: Kids Next Door has scored its highest ratings to date.

Among all kids age 6-11, its rating of 4.5 improved 27% over the same period last year. Among boys age 2-11 its rating of 6.1 was an increase of 61%.

The network says that its Adult Swim line up also showed substantial improvement over last year's performance. Among adults 18-34, ratings of 0.7 were up 165% over the same period last year. Among men 18-34, the block had a rating of 0.6, up 200%.

PostTue Mar 11, 2003 10:02 pm
Spookmonkey

Obsessor

Post subject:
AOL Time Warner Inc. announced today that its Turner Broadcasting division will be realigned into three units -- Entertainment, News and Cartoons. The new Cartoon unit will include Cartoon Network and its sister network, Kids' WB!. The new entertainment group will encompass TBS, TNT, Turner Classic Movies and Turner Sports networks, while news will feature CNN and its various off-shoots.

The restructuring announcement comes on the heels of Philip Kent taking over as Turner chairman and chief executive, replacing the outgoing Jamie Kellner. The head of each new unit will oversee programming, marketing, advertising sales and other business functions. Currently, no one has been named to head the new Turner cartoon unit, although an announcement should be forthcoming.

"These changes will help us make quicker and better decisions with more accountability and a greater feeling of 'ownership' of results for each management team," said Kent in a statement released today. "By formalizing some key working relationships among people and groups, we are creating a more logical, less layered structure that will empower our people and make us even more responsive to our customers and other constituents. As these changes are internally focused, the results will be absolutely transparent to the viewers of our networks."

Additionally, two high-ranking Turner executives have left the group as part of the latest restructuring. Bradley Siegel, until now the head of the Turner general entertainment networks, and Brad Turrell, a public relations executive, will be departing from the company.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The New TNN has announced that its new adult animation block is tentatively scheduled to premiere Thursday, June 26, 2003. In an effort to reach out to its growing male audience, the network has signed creative deals with celebrities such as Kelsey Grammar, Howard Stern and Stan Lee.

Currently scheduled to premiere on the block are eight brand new episodes of Ren & Stimpy from creator John Kricfalusi. Kelsey Grammar (NBC's Frasier), is also writing and voicing on Gary the Rat, a series based on a popular webtoon of the same name, about an arrogant lawyer turned into a rat. Spider-Man co-creator, Stan Lee is also working on for a project for the network titled Stripperella. TNN characterizes the series, which stars Pamela Anderson as the lead character, as a "stripper by night who is a superhero by later at night."

The New TNN is in talks with shock-jock Howard Stern to create a series about his life as a nerdy teenager, according to TV Week. The concept, tentatively titled Howard Stern: The Teenage Years, has not been officially greenlight yet. However, if picked up, Stern will voice his younger self.

The official website, which includes interviews with the creative talent involved with the series, can be found by clicking here.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The final few episodes of the long-unfinished anime series, The Big O, are currently airing in Japan. Broadcast on seven different television stations across the country, the second season represents a joint effort between Sunrise, Bandai Visual, and Cartoon Network. Sunrise's official Japanese website for the show announced today that The Big O will be joining Cartoon Network Japan's Toonami lineup on April 25th. This will be the first time that the show has been seen on the network, despite having previously aired on Cartoon Network America's Toonami. An advertisement for the show's premiere has also appeared on Cartoon Network Japan's website.

Cartoon Network America has acquired the second season of the show, and will be airing it on the network later in the year.

Sunrise has also officially announced the release of two Japanese DVD boxsets for the series. The first, to be released simultaneously with the series' Toonami premiere on April 25th, will contain the thirteen episodes that comprise the original first season of the show in both Japanese AND English language dialogue (no English subtitles, though). The episodes will be spread across four volumes (as in the U.S. release) and bonus materials include a special 24-page booklet and an interview with the main staff behind the show. The first volume of the second season (containing the fourteenth episode and a non-credit version of the new opening) will be released on May 23rd. It is set to come with an artbox designed to hold the other six volumes that comprise the new season (two episodes per disk). No word on whether the second season DVDs will contain an English language track, but it seems unlikely given how soon they are to be released. Please bear in mind that these will be Region 2 DVDs, and as such, can only be watched on DVD players capable of playing R2 titles.

Lastly, the titles for all of the second season episodes have finally been revealed on the official website.

Last edited by Spookmonkey on Wed Mar 12, 2003 4:43 am; edited 1 time in total
PostTue Mar 11, 2003 10:03 pm
Spookmonkey

Obsessor

Post subject:
Michael Moore's documentary Bowling for Columbine winning Best Original Screenplay wasn't the only surprising upset at The 55th Annual Writers Guild Awards over the weekend. Gracie Films/20th Century Fox Television's far-out comedy Futurama, which has not been renewed by Fox, proved its metal by beating out both of the network's Sunday night animated anchors.

In the Animation category, Ken Keeler's script for the Futurama episode "Godfellas" put the hit on installments of the popular and critically acclaimed series The Simpsons and King of the Hill.

The other writers up for the award were John Frink and Don Payne for "The Bart Wants What It Wants" (The Simpsons), Bob Bendetson for "Blame It On Lisa" (The Simpsons), Matt Selman for "Jaws Wired Shut" (The Simpsons), Alex Gregory and Peter Huyck for "My Own Private Rodeo" (King of the Hill) and Peter Bakalian and Suzanne Collins for Fox's Rankin/Bass holiday special Santa, Baby!

PostWed Mar 12, 2003 4:33 am
Spookmonkey

Obsessor

Post subject:
Interesting facts pulled from this article include the following:

About 60% of all cartoons watched by people around the world today originate in Japan.

In monetary terms, some ¥1.2 billion (US$10 million at 120 yen to the dollar) worth of card games were shipped to every corner of the world, and the franchise generated merchandising sales of ¥1 trillion ($8.3 billion) in Japan and another ¥2 trillion ($16.7 billion) abroad.

The value of the domestic market for anime products, including films, videos, and character merchandise, has been estimated at ¥3 trillion ($25.0 billion), with foreign sales boosting the figure closer to ¥10 trillion ($83.3 billion) by some estimates.

Kyoto Seika University is currently the only university that offers a manga course in Japan.

The anime industry can now also look to the government for help. In 1997 the then Ministry of International Trade and Industry launched a Digital Animation Study Group to conduct research on promoting the anime industry. These moves at the national level are being followed by local governments, such as the city of Tokyo, where 70% of all anime production takes place.

PostWed Mar 12, 2003 4:41 am
counterparadox

Obsessor

Post subject:
Spookmonkey wrote:
Cartoon Network has scheduled a 15-hour "April Fools Day Monkey Marathon" for April 1, airing from 8am to 11pm (ET/PT).

The marathon will consist of a broad mix of cartoons, each one prominently featuring a monkey, an ape, a chimpanzee, or some other lower primate. Among the series and episodes to air: the Bugs Bunny cartoons "Gorilla My Dreams," "Hurdy Gurdy Hare," and "Apes of Wrath"; the Space Ghost episode "Planet of the Space Monkeys"; and episodes from The Banana Splits that feature Bingo the Gorilla in a starring role.

Grape Ape, Magilla Gorilla, Mojo Jojo, and Monkey (from Dexter's Laboratory) will also take star turns. There will also be classic monkey-centric episodes of The Flintstones, Josie & The Pussycats and Super Friends.

*Cries* That has to be one of the best ideas I've ever heard of. 15 hours of monkeys. Could it get any better? Answer: NO, no it could not get any better. I wonder if they'll show Gorillaz music videos like they did on that special . . . thing . . . a year back.

By the way, on Kim Possible the other night, they had Ninja Monkeys. I was so shocked that I never thought of that. The power of the monkey combined with the art of the ninja. Unbeatable.

PostWed Mar 12, 2003 8:21 pm
Beefy

Obsessor

Post subject:
Production I.G has finally updated their English website with new pics from Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex.

This is the first update since November, 2002.

http://www.productionig.com
PostThu Mar 13, 2003 3:01 am
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Nobuyuki

Obsessor

Post subject:
DreamWorks ready to roll a CGI rocker
Reuters
Mar 13 2003 2:55AM

NEW YORK (Variety) - In a seven-figure deal, DreamWorks has hired "The Family Man" writers David Diamond and David Weissman to pen a computer-animated film described as a musical history of rock 'n' roll.
The concept was hatched by the scribes and DreamWorks partner Jeffrey Katzenberg. It will be produced by Allison Segan, who just produced DreamWorks' animated underwater mob saga "Sharkslayer," a CGI film that will be released in 2004 with Will Smith, Robert De Niro and Martin Scorsese supplying the voices.

The scribes said that since meeting Katzenberg -- when they penned a rewrite of Don Jakoby's script for the DreamWorks film "Evolution" -- they've tried to find a followup they could write from scratch.

After a meeting with Katzenberg and DreamWorks head of animation Ann Daly, all parties sparked to the rock tale. None of them would reveal the exact concept. Suffice to say, there will be a lot of classic rock tunes mixed into the CGI format.

"David and I have been best friends since we were 15, and we share a soundtrack of our lives," Weissman said. "We were looking for a reason to use hit songs that span the history of rock."

The two writers recently adapted for Warner Bros. the book "Piano Lessons" and the Calvin Trillin novel "Pepper Isn't Going Out." They also are waiting for liftoff at Paramount on their script "Guam Goes to the Moon." That project, with director Brian Levant aboard, is being produced by Segan, along with Jordan Kerner.
Muniz to voice zebra for CGI film "Racing Stripes"
Reuters
Mar 13 2003 2:54AM

HOLLYWOOD (Variety) - Frankie Muniz, star of Fox sitcom "Malcolm in the Middle" and MGM's upcoming "Agent Cody Banks," will next voice the lead role in Alcon Entertainment's live-action/CG-animated family film "Racing Stripes."
The film is the tale of an abandoned baby zebra named Stripes (Muniz) that grows up on a Kentucky farm believing he's a racehorse. With the help of barnyard friends he overcomes prejudice and self-doubt to pursue his dream of running with the thoroughbreds.

The project will be distributed via Alcon's five-year, 10-picture distribution agreement with Warner Bros. Pictures. Summit Entertainment handles foreign sales.

Frederik Du Chau ("Quest for Camelot") will direct the film, which was written by newcomer scribe David Schmidt along with Kirk DeMicco and Mike Samonek.

Muniz and Alcon previously worked together on "My Dog Skip." "Agent Cody Banks" opens wide on Friday.
PostThu Mar 13, 2003 8:26 am
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Animation Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 4 of 21

Jump to: