нет

Results
Polls

Votes: 764
Comments: 7

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Toonami Infolink: Forums

Toonami Infolink :: View topic - Anyone else wish Toonami still also appeared on weekdays?
Toonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerLToonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerL
:: Home :: Forum FAQ :: Search :: TDA Chat Room :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
Anyone else wish Toonami still also appeared on weekdays?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Toonami
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cartman414

Post subject: Anyone else wish Toonami still also appeared on weekdays?
First of all, hello everyone. Been watching Toonami for years, and only recently did I find this website.

Anyways, I've been frustrated with the fact that Toonami has been only on Saturdays since being replaced by Miguzi. It's not the difference in demographics that disturbs me about Miguzi so much as it is the redundancy and mediocrity of the block for the most part. Totally Spies is totally meh, an hour of Static Shock is just ridiculous, and while I like Teen Titans, it turns up elsewhere on CN's schedule, Toonami included. Toonami would be put to much better use on weekdays, since there's a wider variety of shows in CN's possession that could fit in there, including shows that have shown on Miguzi (TT and Rave Master) and Adult Swim (Big O and Yu Yu Hakusho) alike. Sure there would be the daily DB franchise related show, but Gundam Seed, even though I'm not its biggest fan, wouldn't have to be consigned to post midnight on Friday, for instance.
PostSun Feb 27, 2005 2:08 am
AngelHedgie

Post subject:
cartman414 wrote:
First of all, hello everyone. Been watching Toonami for years, and only recently did I find this website.

Welcome aboard.

cartman414 wrote:
Anyways, I've been frustrated with the fact that Toonami has been only on Saturdays since being replaced by Miguzi. It's not the difference in demographics that disturbs me about Miguzi so much as it is the redundancy and mediocrity of the block for the most part.

Well, those things do sorta go hand in hand. Miguzi is targeted to preteens, and it shows; whereas pre-Saturday Toonami had some serious age confusion. By making a clearly preteen block separate from Toonami, it allows Toonami to be Toonami. Though to be honest, Toonami still has some age confusion issues, but if one watches, the block slowly ramps up in age - kiddie-pleasers early, with more mature shows bringing up the rear. And of course, [as] caters to the more adult taste. The result is that Williams Street has a lot easier time targeting demographics properly, and again, it really shows.

cartman414 wrote:
Totally Spies is totally meh,

Well, you're probably not the target - this is a show definately aimed at the Mary Kate and Ashley crowd. That said, there's a lot worse out there for that subset.

cartman414 wrote:
an hour of Static Shock is just ridiculous,

I don't know. I rather like Static Shock, and it's nice to see cartoons that are positive and cater more to minorities. (Of course, I'm a fan of Mucha Lucha! too, for much of the same reasons - it's a show that espouses multiculturalism, but doesn't really beat you over the head with it.)

cartman414 wrote:
and while I like Teen Titans, it turns up elsewhere on CN's schedule, Toonami included.

Well, it IS a major hit for CN. CNN just reported recently that TT was one of the hot franchises at the International Toy Fair, so I don't see the TT tsunami ending anytime soon.

Besides, it could be worse - it used to be that it was Scooby-Doo all over the CN schedule.

(shudder)

cartman414 wrote:
Toonami would be put to much better use on weekdays, since there's a wider variety of shows in CN's possession that could fit in there, including shows that have shown on Miguzi (TT and Rave Master) and Adult Swim (Big O and Yu Yu Hakusho) alike. Sure there would be the daily DB franchise related show, but Gundam Seed, even though I'm not its biggest fan, wouldn't have to be consigned to post midnight on Friday, for instance.

Not really. First off, where are you going to put Toonami? You really can't put it before Miguzi, and after's not much of an option either. (Remember, animation geek cannot live on Toonami alone, and a lot of the CN originals aren't bad at all.)

Second, a lot of those show migrated to where they best fit - Rave Master (especially after Tokyopop was done with it) was a better fit with Miguzi, YYH never was [as] material (it came on during the original [as] Action, when WS tried to shoehorn Toonami-bound shows into a block that really didn't suit them), and Big O could only be aired unedited on [as] (Cast in the name of good, remember?)

Finally, a lot of these shows suffered from overexposure by airing 4-5 days a week. It's good to have these shows airing slowly, once a week, which is how many of them were paced in the first place. Plus, it places less pressure on acquisition and dubbing, which potentially means a better product in the long run.

In short, I think that WS is doing the right thing with their scheduling - after all, they literally have direct control of approximately 1/3 of the CN schedule.

Best line from a Cartoon Cartoon: "Sometimes love hurts, Pud'n. And I love you very much."
PostSun Feb 27, 2005 10:36 am
cartman414

Post subject:
I'm actually rather age-agnostic with my cartoons, and enjoy some of the stuff that KidsWB has to offer, including Mucha Lucha, Xiaolin Showdown, and even Pokemon, Megaman NT Warrior and Yugioh for various regions. Totally Spies I simply find to be mediocre, and I have a problem with there being an hour of Static Shock because it simply is redundant and a waste of programming time. It just isn't fair that certain programs like that get shown over 10 times a week while a Gundam series that's still in the middle of new episodes gets relegated to once a week, and after midnight to boot. That sure doesn't sound like overexposure to me. Not to mention that the scheduling treatment of Rurouni Kenshin kind of reminds me of what NBC did to Newsradio.
PostSun Feb 27, 2005 4:07 pm
Fodder

Obsessor

Post subject:
There is also an issue with content and time placement. Animes like Gundam, DBZ ect have to be cut to fit the family friendly hours of Miguzi and early Toonami. As it gets later in the evening the restrictions are lifted.

Trigun was turned down for Toonami in the 5-7pm block because of all the gunplay. Bebop would be the same case.

So we have to put up with political correctness with our time schedules. I love my TiVO because i can watch these shows whenever i want
PostSun Feb 27, 2005 10:12 pm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
AdmiralGreer

Obsessor

Post subject:
cartman414 wrote:
It just isn't fair that certain programs like that get shown over 10 times a week while a Gundam series that's still in the middle of new episodes gets relegated to once a week, and after midnight to boot.

You are aware that when it was originally aired in Japan, like most Japanese cartoons, it was only shown once per week? And on that note, many new shows over there have late night timeslots as well as only airing once per week.

Have patience. Like a Jedi.
PostMon Feb 28, 2005 12:12 am
Fodder

Obsessor

Post subject:
Like a jedi?! You mean if i dont want to wait until i build my own jedi to go to Ebay and buy a StarWars Galaxies jedi account? Then go and show off in Galaxies because i got to use my mommies credit card without her knowing it and will blame the charges on some crack junky?!

Like that kind of jedi?

Or the kind that is created by midichlorians further ruining what fragile life Star Wars had left?

/rant

Fodder
Disgruntled SWG player and StarWars Fan
PostMon Feb 28, 2005 12:50 am
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
cartman414

Post subject:
Quote:
You are aware that when it was originally aired in Japan, like most Japanese cartoons, it was only shown once per week? And on that note, many new shows over there have late night timeslots as well as only airing once per week.

It isn't simply the patience factor with new episodes and how Japan themselves just get one new episode a week for premiering series (Though the difference is that those shows are typically in production as they air, and in the case of those series coming over here, the shows have been ready to go in their entirety, barring lengthy series like DBZ. I've been watching Toonami since 1998, so I should know.). There's just been so much repetition on Cartoon Network, and their current choices for Miguzi and elsewhere are helping contribute to it.

And besides, just because they're doing something similar in Japan doesn't make it any more sensical here. Just what is Gundam doing after hours anyways? The Adult Swim block has reason to be before-to-beyond midnight. Gundam Seed isn't even attached to that or any real block. CN's all but abandoning it just because it mismanaged it IMO during Toonami. They could just as easily have moved it to either 10 pm or 10:30 pm on at least one of the weekdays..
PostMon Feb 28, 2005 1:14 am
Nobuyuki

Obsessor

Post subject:
cartman414 wrote:
CN's all but abandoning it just because it mismanaged it IMO during Toonami.

It got a steady timeslot for 6 months, and nobody watched it. That's not mismanagement. SEED couldn't draw people in, through it's own shortcomings (dog-slow plotline, boring characters, crappy non-mecha animation).
Quote:
They could just as easily have moved it to either 10 pm or 10:30 pm on at least one of the weekdays..

Why bother?
PostMon Feb 28, 2005 2:23 am
John_Bono_Smithy_Satchmo

Obsessor

Post subject:
AdmiralGreer wrote:

Mmmm... Ah! My Goddess...
One of the most popular Animes/Mangas of all time, and the currently running air time for te new series is 1:55AM on Thursdays in Tokyo...
PostMon Feb 28, 2005 3:39 am
AngelHedgie

Post subject:
Nobuyuki wrote:
It got a steady timeslot for 6 months, and nobody watched it.

Hey, I watch it religiously, and have fansubs of Destiny up to 18 (plus the recap Edited ep)...

That says something about me, doesn't it? And not something good.

Best line from a Cartoon Cartoon: "Sometimes love hurts, Pud'n. And I love you very much."
PostMon Feb 28, 2005 9:44 am
just

Veteran

Post subject:
I love Gundam Seed and I've seen almost every episode so far. While we're on the topic what's so bad about Gundam Seed?
PostMon Feb 28, 2005 11:56 am
AngelHedgie

Post subject:
just wrote:
While we're on the topic what's so bad about Gundam Seed?

Well, it's pretty slow for the first half - it doesn't really heat up until after Athrun almost kills Kira. Destiny's a lot better - it starts off pretty energetically.

PostMon Feb 28, 2005 11:59 am
Mr05

Post subject:
Cartman414, i agree with u man, i do miss the old Toonami. Sad
I miss daily doses of DBZ and Gundam Wing.
But our time has pass i hate to say. Crying or Very sad
We might as well help the new generation.
But i can never forget the old weekday Toonami!
Thx for keeping the memories alive! Very Happy
PostThu Apr 21, 2005 8:04 pm
counterparadox

Obsessor

Post subject:
Don't revive topics that are more than a month old unless ABSOLUTLEY necissary.

Play City of Heroes/Villians? Look me up, Pinnacle server, @C Paradox
PostThu Apr 21, 2005 8:40 pm
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Toonami All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: