нет

Results
Polls

Votes: 764
Comments: 7

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Toonami Infolink: Forums

Toonami Infolink :: View topic - for all my Old Skool peeps in the hizzy... ASTRO BOY!!
Toonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerLToonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerL
:: Home :: Forum FAQ :: Search :: TDA Chat Room :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
for all my Old Skool peeps in the hizzy... ASTRO BOY!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnnyPsycho

Veteran

Post subject: for all my Old Skool peeps in the hizzy... ASTRO BOY!!
Apparently, Sony is considering remaking the anime classic that started it all, Tetsuwan Atom, aka: Astro Boy!

http://news.awn.com/index.php3?newsitem_no=8174

I know the Toonami crowd tends to be less interested in Old School series like Astro Boy or Speed Racer or G-Force, but I figured with the recent airings of Gigantor and Robotech during Giant Robot Week, there just might be a few people out there still interested in these classic shows that set the standard for anime years later...

Personally, I'm both excited and skeptical about the whole thing. Of course, with almost every remake of older shows I have always been skeptical (ie: the current Transformers series; the Speed Racer remake done in the 90's) but with a touch of optimism (ie: the current He-Man series, or Ninja Turtles series that I haven't watched yet)... It could turn out really well (like X-Men: Evolution or Batman the Animated Series) or really, really bad (like the CG Voltron series)...

What are your feelings? And please, no unruly, disrespectful children who can't appreciate "the classics". Also, no fatties...

Twisted Evil

"I plan to live forever. So far so good." -Steven Wright
PostTue Mar 11, 2003 10:20 pm
Force-Attuned_Krogoth

Obsessor

Post subject:
I like old-school just as much as new stuff. Back in the day, before there were "graphics," it was just plot. As long as the plot and characters were solid and believable, there is a good chance I will like it. With the showing of Lupin III (Undeniably old-school, although later than others), I can say with certainty that my mind is open to old things.

I've always liked Robotech, and would like to see more old stuff.

it's not just foosball -- there will also be air hockey . . .
PostTue Mar 11, 2003 10:26 pm
Spookmonkey

Obsessor

Post subject:
hehe, beat ya to the news, but I would like to see how the new series would come out. It's going to be in the style of the old series (only in color) so I'd imagine they would try to work a decent plot into the show, but considering todays market I'm not to sure it would actually happen. I see it being only adequet, thought I hope it will be so much more.

He's better than Pop-Rocks!
PostTue Mar 11, 2003 10:31 pm
JohnnyPsycho

Veteran

Post subject:
yes, there is an inherent problem with introducing "classic" stories to younger audiences... case in point: this past Giant Robot Week and a certain 11 year old that I'll call "Aaron"...

I live with a couple of my cousins, their mom, and their 11 year old little half-brother. Lately, I've been hanging out with "Aaron" on most afternoons to watch Toonami, mostly because I'm the only other person in the house who watches Toonami and anime (and because he thinks it's amazing that I've already seen most of DBGT in fansubs years before it came to the U.S.). Anyway, it was during Giant Robot Week that I realized the problems with the Generation Gap occuring, as he was really excited about watching Nadesico and Dai Guard, but he seemed to care very little for Robotech and seemed especially dismayed about the old black and white Gigantor episodes. Every time Gigantor would come on, he would comment about how the Burning Gundam from G-Gundam would "so waste Gigantor". I tried to teach the little rugrat to show some respect to the original giant robot anime, but he just wasn't feeling it. Mostly, his only problem with the show was the fact that it was in black and white (as a fan of black and white TV shows and movies, of course I was appalled) and that the animation was very choppy (hey, c'mon! it was made like in the 60's... compare that to what was animated for American TV at the same time, and you realize it wasn't even half as bad as most of the Hannah-Barbara shows).

Oh well... I guess we'll have to wait and see if the newest version of Astroboy will be able to make it.

And the old debate continues...

click here for some Gigantor info and a look at the new Gigantor, Gigantor G3

PostFri Mar 14, 2003 11:14 pm
KTKore

Post subject:
Old stuff...as long as it has a good plot and decent animation (considering circumstances), I'm fine with it.
PostFri Mar 14, 2003 11:53 pm
stFalcon5

Frequenter

Post subject:
Astro Boy's projected birth date is coming up, as said in Wired magazine, so they were considering reviving it.
PostSat Mar 15, 2003 10:07 am
JKyle

Veteran

Post subject: ...
I'd like to see Astro come back cell shaded, pseudo 3d (think Futurama's transisiton scenes) just really looking mother canucking slick so the visual bang kids got would match the bang Astro hit the 50s/60s generation with.

Astro is the GODFATHER so he needs his respect, which means GOOD writing. The zing and pop, not the formula. Tiny Toons. not Baby Looney Toons. Chaotic Century, not Slash Zero.

And as added wishful thinking, a coloured and then grayscaled series like Astro in the aforementioned style would look GORGEOUS.
PostSun Mar 16, 2003 7:16 am
Spookmonkey

Obsessor

Post subject:
cel shading really does have a long way to go before it really looks right when compaired to hand animation, especially when used on television. Movies are much closer to mixing the two, but are not quite there. When Disney makes Deep Canvas 2.0 is probably when it will work right.

He's better than Pop-Rocks!
PostSun Mar 16, 2003 3:25 pm
Nobuyuki

Obsessor

Post subject:
Found a trailer:
http://www.taf.metro.tokyo.jp/e/mihon/tezuka.html
Walt would be proud. Wink
PostFri Mar 21, 2003 7:59 am
Zechs

Obsessor

Post subject:
Yes! Hollywood did something RIGHT for once. This looks like it'll be even better than Metropolis. Tezuka would be proud.
PostFri Mar 21, 2003 8:45 am
JohnnyPsycho

Veteran

Post subject:
Dammit!! I can't see the friggin' movie because of my slow-ass modem connection... guess I'll have to wait until I can get into on of the university's computer labs before I can watch it...

shucks... Evil or Very Mad

PostSat Mar 22, 2003 3:04 am
Furik

Post subject:
The animation looks wonderful! I can't wait for the fansubs! ^-^
PostSun Mar 23, 2003 10:31 am
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Toonami All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: