нет

Results
Polls

Votes: 764
Comments: 7

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Toonami Infolink: Forums

Toonami Infolink :: View topic - Toonami Master/Screener Tapes?
Toonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerLToonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerL
:: Home :: Forum FAQ :: Search :: TDA Chat Room :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
Toonami Master/Screener Tapes?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JALsnipe

Post subject: Toonami Master/Screener Tapes?
I'm relatively new to the site (and most online Toonami communities), but a long time Toonami fan.

Recently, I noticed this picture on the Toonami tumblr page:

Now, I've worked in the TV/entertainment industry enough to know that this is a screening master or some kind of VHS dub from a master DigiBeta/BetaCam/BetaSP tape that would be used as the source broadcast. Tapes like these are valuable to collectors like me (I have 100s of these kind of tapes from Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network, and MTV), because they're a master sourced from CN and are most likely higher quality than any off-air or air check VHS recording.

Most of the time tapes like this are never leaked outside of the parent company, and I was shocked and surprised to see this picture reblogged by the Toonami tumblr. I'm wondering if anyone else has Toonami master tapes, or pictures of the tape labels or info slates on the tape.

Would appreciate any info from you guys, thanks in advance! Also, if anyone has any tapes like this one, please PM me. I'd like to examine these Toonami masters more, and find out how many of these are actually floating around outside of Cartoon Network's offices.

Thanks guys!

Last edited by JALsnipe on Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
PostMon Apr 08, 2013 5:27 pm
Daikun

Obsessor

Post subject: Re: Toonami Master/Screener Tapes?
Tyler, is there a way we can make the forum scale down images to a specific resolution if they're too large? Horizontal scrolling is no fun. Sad

Anyway...

JALsnipe wrote:
I have 100s of these kind of tapes from Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network, and MTV

Can you maybe share some of yours with us?
PostMon Apr 08, 2013 7:12 pm
JALsnipe

Daikun wrote:
Tyler, is there a way we can make the forum scale down images to a specific resolution if they're too large? Horizontal scrolling is no fun. Sad

Anyway...

JALsnipe wrote:
I have 100s of these kind of tapes from Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network, and MTV

Can you maybe share some of yours with us?

Edited the first post with a half-sized image.

I would love to share but unfortunately I do not have anything Toonami related (hence this post). If you wanted to continue this discussion and organize a private trade, I would be happy to let go of some of shows for any Toonami masters you have. Wink

That being said, I believe I have one of the What A Cartoon! show masters in my possession here at school. All of my tapes are either in storage or at home, but I'll do some digging if you guys can point me in the direction of any Toonami masters.

Thanks!
PostMon Apr 08, 2013 7:27 pm
Daikun

Obsessor

JALsnipe wrote:
I would love to share but unfortunately I do not have anything Toonami related (hence this post).

That's fine. I'm not looking for anything Toonami-specific. We're actually trying to find this promo.

There is a version on YouTube, but it has a watermark.
PostMon Apr 08, 2013 8:19 pm
JALsnipe

Post subject:
Not sure I have that one, but I can check my betacam tapes after this semester is over.

If anything, I would have pre-'96 HB stuff, but you never know. Again, most of this stuff is Nick and MTV, but I will dig and ask around for you guys.
PostTue Apr 09, 2013 8:48 am
Daikun

Obsessor

Post subject:
All right, cool! Thanks! Very Happy
PostTue Apr 09, 2013 3:39 pm
Beefy

Obsessor

Post subject:
I don't have any master VHS tapes, but from 2006-2007 I did have the analog satellite master feed of Cartoon Network.
This was the first generation signal that all cable and satellite providers used and usually recompressed to hell when they retransmitted it.
It had the best picture quality I've ever seen, and it put today's overcompressed digital crap to shame.
PostTue Apr 09, 2013 6:23 pm
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
JALsnipe

Post subject:
Beefy wrote:
I don't have any master VHS tapes, but from 2006-2007 I did have the analog satellite master feed of Cartoon Network.
This was the first generation signal that all cable and satellite providers used and usually recompressed to hell when they retransmitted it.
It had the best picture quality I've ever seen, and it put today's overcompressed digital crap to shame.

That's wild! Did you have your own satellite dish? How on earth did you get that signal?

A friend of mine used to do analog cable rips of the original Toonami. Shame he didn't have the space to store more than a few MPEG-1 encodes. I would kill for raw TV captures of Moltar-era Toonami.
PostWed Apr 10, 2013 10:48 am
TylerL

Better Than You

Post subject:
The consumer tech just wasn't there in time for Toonami's early start. I wasn't able to do full-res SD capture until 2001. Old stuff lost forever.

Except for this:
http://toonamiarsenal.com/misc/lf/WhinersCantBeLosers.mp4
PostWed Apr 10, 2013 11:42 am
Beefy

Obsessor

Post subject:
JALsnipe wrote:
That's wild! Did you have your own satellite dish? How on earth did you get that signal?

Yeah, I had a 10 foot satellite dish.
Back when everything was analog there was only one encryption standard: Videocipher.
There were a number of satellite receivers with a slot for a Videocipher decoder module. They were cheap enough that home users could subscribe.
With the move to digital there are at least three encryption standards now, and no consumer level receivers.
PostThu Apr 11, 2013 10:17 am
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
JALsnipe

Post subject:
Beefy wrote:
JALsnipe wrote:

Yeah, I had a 10 foot satellite dish.
Back when everything was analog there was only one encryption standard: Videocipher.
There were a number of satellite receivers with a slot for a Videocipher decoder module. They were cheap enough that home users could subscribe.
With the move to digital there are at least three encryption standards now, and no consumer level receivers.

That's insane. I am familiar with Videocipher technology now, but was way too young at the time to know any of that stuff. That must have been awesome.

TylerL wrote:
The consumer tech just wasn't there in time for Toonami's early start. I wasn't able to do full-res SD capture until 2001. Old stuff lost forever.

Except for this:
http://toonamiarsenal.com/misc/lf/WhinersCantBeLosers.mp4

I love that promo.

I know a lot of this early stuff is lost, hence my quest for master tapes. If Slobass found that VHS master in his attic, who knows what other CN employees kept. I have no doubt that a betacam comp tape of Moltar stuff is sitting on someone's shelf, gathering dust.

Hey, I was looking through my old MPEGs and found some Moltar era Weekday themes (Monday-Friday). Are those on the site? I only found the TOM ones. Just need to clear it with the original encoder, but i'd be happy to upload some if those are needed.

PostThu Apr 11, 2013 10:26 am
TylerL

Better Than You

Post subject:
I think we only have one or two Moltar weekday openings, so those would be very appreciated.
I've been working to uncover more early Toonami footage, and have a lot of stuff to sift through. Including the first promos for Toonami itself Smile
PostFri Apr 12, 2013 3:54 am
JALsnipe

Post subject:
Well, if you guys need any help transferring tapes or whatever, just let me know. I've got a nice pro setup at the moment: Samsung SV-5000W multi-region S-VHS VCR and a Sony RDR-GXD455 DVD Recorder, although I plan on picking up a Blackmagic card to cap uncompressed at some point, will probably get around to this when I fix my U-Matic deck and buy a new DigiBeta deck.

Still waiting for the ok from the original encoder, but as soon as I get the OK I'll be sure to send you guys all the promos I have. Happy to help the Arsenal, you guys are awesome for being such diehard Toonami fans after all these years!

EDIT: Is anyone capping the event on the 27th? I was trying to cap the CN 1080i transport stream from a friend's HD cable box, but for whatever reason every time I try to pull the stream over Firewire, the STB crashes. Stupid Time Warner Cable... Will be calling a few other friends to try to record the block as well.

EDIT 2: Just got the go-ahead from Zaroff, throwing everything I currently have in my dropbox. He also said he had a bunch more from 2000 that he'd be willing to send me as well.

His notes:
Zaroff wrote:
Here are some bits and pieces I capped from Cartoon Network in the late 90s. It's mostly Toonami related stuff but also includes some of the "Shorties" that aired during the breaks.

Conversion path (in the late 90s):
cable TV -> Iomega Buz -> MPEG1

Video: -> ~1152 Kbps
Audio: -> 192 Kbps MP3
PostFri Apr 12, 2013 1:27 pm
Beefy

Obsessor

Post subject:
My first capture card was an Iomega Buz. It also doubled as a SCSI card.
The only thing I didn't like was you had to feed the audio into an input on your sound card.
After a few minutes the video and audio would get out of sync. It still captured good video though.
Unfortunately, it only had drivers for Windows 9X, no 2000 or XP.

Later I would move on to FireWire capture devices, which I liked because the video and audio were captured together.
PostFri Apr 12, 2013 5:46 pm
JALsnipe

Post subject:
I prefer FireWire compliant devices as well. Shame I can't get this cable box to work though.

Here are all the promos I have so far:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1x2ekwf0ss7g8iu/aSR7pUszRx

File list:
Cartoon Network goodies.nfo
DBZ intro.mpg
Reboot intro.mpg
Sailor Moon intro.mpg
Shortie Atom Ant.mpg
Shortie Hillbilly Bears.mpg
Shortie JabberJaw.mpg
Shortie Jonny Quest.mpg
Shortie Wally Gator.mpg
Tenchi bachelor ad.mpg
Tenchi In Tokyo long preview.mpg
Tenchi Muyo long preview.mpg
Tenchi Muyo short preview.mpg
Toonami - Pardon Our Dust.mpg
Toonami Friday.mpg
Toonami Monday.mpg
Toonami schedule Dec 99.mpg
Toonami Space Is The Place.mpg
Toonami Technologically Superior.mpg
Toonami Thursday.mpg
Toonami Tuesday.mpg
Toonami Wednesday.mpg

Enjoy! I left some of the non-Toonami CN stuff in there as well. I should be getting more soon.
PostFri Apr 12, 2013 6:37 pm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Toonami All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: