нет

Results
Polls

Votes: 764
Comments: 7

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Toonami Infolink: Forums

Toonami Infolink :: View topic - How you met anime
Toonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerLToonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerL
:: Home :: Forum FAQ :: Search :: TDA Chat Room :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
How you met anime
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beefy

Obsessor

Post subject: How you met anime
After reading Tyler's story on TDA, I thought it would be interesting for us to share how we got hooked on anime.
Did you see one show that pulled you in, or did it take a while? Did you find anime on your own, or did a friend introduce you? That sort of thing.

Here's my story: (part 1 of 2)
The first anime I remember watching was Speed Racer. I watched whatever cartoons I could find on weekday afternoons and Saturday mornings. This was a while ago, back when there was no Kids' WB and The Disney Afternoon and Fox Kids ruled the TV cartoon biz. Alas, I don't remember anything about Speed Racer. (School does a good job of erasing things from my mind, that was one of them.)

Skip forward a few years to July 1997 (give or take a year). I had finally convinced my parents to get cable TV. The Sci-fi Channel was doing their "Summer Movie Blast" where they would show a movie 4-5 nights a week based on a certain theme and the theme would change each week. I remember watching Colossus: The Forbin Project during "It's Your Government Week". Towards the end of the Sci-fi Channel's "Summer Movie Balst" they had "Anime Week". Apollo Smile (anybody remember her?) was the "guide" for Anime Week. The only movies I remember watching that week were Fatal Fury: The Motion Picture and two Galaxy Express 999 movies.
I was so used to American animation that these movies blew my mind. I guess I was still too young to appreciate what I had seen, and I left confused and bewildered.

So if this didn't pull me into the world of anime, then what did? To be concluded...
PostThu Feb 20, 2003 9:13 pm
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Chibi_Zero

Obsessor

Post subject:
The 1st Anime I ever watched(I didn't know that at the time) was Vampire Hunter D on Sci-Fi with my Dad while my Mom and sisters were camping. I didn't know this till I was about 12 when I rented the tape and saw the talking hand(the only thing I remembered since I watched it when I was 7). But I really got into Anime after watching some DBZ. Sortly after I found out about Toonami and started to watch to really watch anime.
PostThu Feb 20, 2003 9:24 pm
Spookmonkey

Obsessor

Post subject:
I've hated anime almost all my life. I could appreciate parts of it, but certain design/style standards they use would jsut get on my nerves. While I have gotten over attributing those things to all anime, the same things still piss me off, I can get over some of it better now. The series that actually made me look differently on anime was Vision of Escaflowne, which a friend I met my first semester at college (the first time around) lent it to me.

He's better than Pop-Rocks!
PostThu Feb 20, 2003 9:48 pm
WhtHawk

Obsessor

Post subject:
Talking about this makes me feel old. I remember the Disney afternoon, Goof troop, Darkwing Duck, ... But I'd allways loved Transformers, GI Joe and Sailor Moon (I rember seeing all the eps. on their first run on one of the broadcast channels). One day, after our cable company sold out Cartoon Network came on. While flipping through the channels I ran across Voltron from the Moltar days, I watched off and on for a while. I really got hooked on Gundam Wing, I would rush home after school every day so I could watch it. Soon my thirty-minute addiction became an hour, then two, then toonami. Adult Swim set the hook when I just happened to stay up passed my usual bed time one saturday night. That summer I bought my first anime DVD at Wal-Mart for $15 bucks and now I'm an adict.

Hi, my name is WhtHawk, and I'm an anime adict.
PostThu Feb 20, 2003 10:53 pm
Spookmonkey

Obsessor

Post subject:
why the hell does that make you feel old? I borrowed escaflowne in '98. Disney Afternoon wasn't that long ago that you should feel old. I watched Transformers and stuff and loved it, but it didn't make me watch anime, just made me watch more transformers.

PostFri Feb 21, 2003 1:46 am
Nobuyuki

Obsessor

Post subject:
Spookmonkey wrote:
why the hell does that make you feel old?

Exactly. It's MY job to feel old. (Battle of the Planets was the talk of my junior high Smile )
PostFri Feb 21, 2003 3:30 am
JJc14

Obsessor

Post subject:
good idea beefy, i don't think this thread's been made since late 2001...

anyway, for those who don't know, i didn't watch a lot of action cartoons during my early childhood because my mom was one of those overprotective types (i remember going to friends' homes to watch g.i. joe in the late '80s)...really, other than the teenage mutant ninja turtles, i had no exposure at all...

fast forward to a weekend in the summer of '95...for some reason i woke up early and was flipping channels, when i came across this cartoon on tbs that was unlike anything i'd really ever seen...the animation style was very different, portraying the characters as real human beings, a strange thing for me back then...of course, the five main heroines of sailor moon weren't that bad on the eyes either... =)

the next morning, i found another show drawn in this style on the wb...this seemed more up my line, with these big tough guys defending the world against seemingly tougher big guys...honestly, i never thought i'd still be waiting to this day for dragonball z to finally end...

i soon found another outlet, the sci-fi channel's saturday morning anime...i couldn't believe some of the stuff i saw in these "cartoons" and it totally blew me away...

that'd be good enough for your typical anime exposure story, but mine keeps going...the sci-fi channel stopped their saturday morning programming about a year later, and with dragonball z repeating the same 50-some episodes and sailor moon putting me to sleep (not to mention pokemon, which was too repetitive despite my constant attempts to get into the show), i spent my last year of grade school, and most of high school away from anime...

finally, my junior year of high school, a friend of mine told me about dragonball z on tv...of course, the cartoon network wasn't available in my area, so i was forced to shrug it aside...

in the fall of 2000, cn finally came to my area and i took in this new block toonami, though mostly for dbz...watching the cell saga and meeting someone who had the rest of the freiza saga made me realize just how much i enjoyed these shows, but not much else on the tonami block appealed to me at the time...

january, 2001: the end of my social life came when outlaw star premiered...despite the heavily edited version, i still thought it was the coolest thing i ever saw, prompting me to purchase my first anime dvd's that summer...the big o and gundam 08th ms team, as well as gundam 0080, showed me different angles on stuff i never thought could be expressed in a "cartoon"

...and, here i am now...i own outlaw star, big o, gundam 08th ms team, and trigun on dvd, and will be starting on the huge rurouni kenshin saga this summer...guess i'm happily poor in a way...
PostFri Feb 21, 2003 1:54 pm
Chibi_Zero

Obsessor

Post subject:
I still can't belive they're going to air all RK in one shot...
PostFri Feb 21, 2003 2:09 pm
Zechs

Obsessor

Post subject:
Well mine wasn't much different. Cartoons and anything on Sat. morning were pretty much the only thing I watched. I remember the the schedules of almost six years of FOX kids and Nick. It was my one true joy.

The first anime I remember seeing is Voltron on TBS, it was on real early and I rarely saw it before it got taken off the block. I also remember Salior Moon on USA and early on Saturday one week but never saw more than one or two eps. The one ep i do remember seeing is the death of Nephrite which really blew me away. Between that came and went hundreds of other shows until one caught my eye. UPN was airing promos for a show they called Pokemon. By that time I was so sick of everything else on at the time and the animation style looked intresting. I saw the very first airing of the very first episode and was totally hooked. The next day though, something amazed me.....something that happened in the ep before, affected the ep that day. Yes, I had found a show with a continuing plot that I understood.

Each day I got home and watched it religiously. Within the first airing of the show I started seeing people at my school playing the game. Getting on the bandwagon and begged my parents to buy it. The card game fad followed and by the end four tables at my lunch were just for people playing the game.

Moving to Orlando was the first time I got to see Toonami. It was just as Gundam Wing was finishing it's first run, but that wasn't what intrested me. DBZ was where it was at, a plot AND constant well animated Violence. Sailor Moon was good seeing again too but it was hard to getting into the end of R. It was also the first time I heard the word anime.A few months later we moved again and had to say goodbye to Toonami. By then the other networks had started adding more shows to capilize on like Digimon and that made up for the loss of Toonami for a time.

More than a year, and three moves later I got Toonami back. Gundam wing had finnaly caught my attention in a BIG way, my complete collection of bottlege eps proves it.

Since then I've got about 12 DVDs and through TV and the net have seen more than 100individual series.
PostFri Feb 21, 2003 3:29 pm
ToonamiL

Veteran

Post subject:
Brothers. Ronin Warriors. Syndication. End of Story.
PostFri Feb 21, 2003 6:24 pm
Force-Attuned_Krogoth

Obsessor

Post subject:
What got me hooked on anime was the thoughtfulness of some series. I've always been fond of comedy cartoons, (i.e. Freakazoid and Animaniacs), but they have never been more than entertainment. I liked Robotech because it was action-y, and then liked DBZ for the same reason. Gundam Wing was a perfect transition for me, because I was mature enough to see more than BIG BADA BOOM, but it had enough bullets to catch my attention. My friend also showed me his tapes of the short first TV run of Escaflowne. Ever since then, I've been progressing to more intellectual shows.

One summer, I visited this same friend in Rhode Island, and watched all of Esca in three days. That was great. The next year, I got in line to borrow Evangelion (two tapes at a time) from an anime freak in my chemistry class. Since then, I've been hooked.

Currently, I can't stand to watch DBZ, etc, because they have no usable plot. DragonBall is funny, and I watch it when I have nothing else to do, but it's too easy to spot what's coming five or ten minutes ahead. Thus, I am in most awe and fascination with Eva, 08th MS Team, and particularly recently Ah! My Goddess (Just saw the movie -- awesometastical!! Crying or Very sad ). I love a well-done, feasible, thought-provoking plot.
PostFri Feb 21, 2003 7:16 pm
Daikun

Obsessor

Post subject:
Anime started out for me when cartoon syndication was actually GOOD. These were the times when animators actually "got it." Y'know, before they started believing the "animation is only for stupid kids" perception and started filling networks with crappy, infinite-fart-joke cartoons like CatDog, SpongeBob SquarePants, etc. (Kids' WB!, Fox Kids, and the Disney Channel would fall to this perception in later years, virtually killing the "competition" and making Cartoon Network a big ratings-grabber in the race later on), Nickelodeon was actually WATCHABLE. During these watchable times, they had this little block for the preschoolers called "Nick Jr." that aired Maya the Bee, David the Gnome, Grimm's Fairy Tales, and The Little Bits, among others. Ah, what good times they were...
PostFri Feb 21, 2003 11:04 pm
HLB

Post subject:
*cough* Well...one word...Pokemon. And proud of it.
PostFri Feb 21, 2003 11:13 pm
Goldfinger2K

Obsessor

Post subject:
I was scared of anime. Truthfully.
I would see any blood, or excessive violence(even uncut DBZ(mild)) and I would get this strong heartbeat. DBZ was my real intro though I had seen miscellaneous animes on the Sci-fi channel such as Galaxy Express 999, and some other weird movie. My first really anime, other than on toonami, was Cowboy Bebop! I watched all of it the summer before AS came out with it. I fell in love.
And Anime and I lived a happily ever after!

peace
"Toonami, better than getting kicked in the nuts!"-me
"If I was so inclined, I would have groped you five times!"^O^hohohohoho!-Vash
PostFri Feb 21, 2003 11:22 pm
Spookmonkey

Obsessor

Post subject:
ok, that's just a bit weird...

PostSat Feb 22, 2003 12:20 am
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Toonami All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: