нет

Results
Polls

Votes: 764
Comments: 7

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Toonami Infolink: Forums

Toonami Infolink :: View topic - Worst Super Power Ever
Toonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerLToonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerL
:: Home :: Forum FAQ :: Search :: TDA Chat Room :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
Worst Super Power Ever
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Miscellaneous Babble
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andromaton

Obsessor

Post subject:
Nobuyuki wrote:
"With great power comes great responsibility" applies to both of them equally.
When you boil it down, the biggest differences between Superman, Batman and Spider-Man are ones of the methodology used in meeting their objectives.

As far as methodology works out, I don't think I've read a book more about the subject than Kingdom Come (arguably one of the best stories ever told ever).

The promo poster for it somehow says it all.

The Dreamer.
The Thunder.
The Bat.
The Eagle.
The Angel.

Superman's purpose and idealology is cemented on the dream that people are good, that peace can be won without war. Which is why his characterization in KC works so well.

One last note: Most writers will tell you that it's really hard to write for superman. Most just cop out of actually trying to evolve and grow the character by making him a boyscout. Hence you're problem Robbypoo.
PostThu Oct 21, 2004 1:29 pm
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
counterparadox

Obsessor

Post subject:
Oh, I agree that that phrase is very true, but my point is that Superman was merely rasied to be a good little boy, whereas Peter Parker won't stop fighting for fear that his actions will hurt those that he loves. It's a question of motivation, and aside from "It's the right thing to do" I've never really seen Superman's motivation (Aside from people attacking Lois Lane, of course.)

Point is, realistically, if you suddenly found out you had super powers, most people would try to use them to make money (Which is what Spidey did) and then, since these powers came about in a short amount of time (as opposed to having to work for them and gradually appearing over the course of one's life, like muscle growth) the person would most likely take the easier way out and succumb to their whims (thus Spidey letting the crook escape who then kiilled Uncle Ben which is the underlying reason that Spidey never commits a crime.)

Hence, I love the idealized Supes, but I really can't pin down a firm, honest, and actual motivation. It's just not natural. Not everyone has the soul of Gandhi, you know.

Play City of Heroes/Villians? Look me up, Pinnacle server, @C Paradox
PostThu Oct 21, 2004 4:19 pm
John_Bono_Smithy_Satchmo

Obsessor

Post subject:
And then some people do.
If I had Superman's powers, I would fight crime of course, but I would also be a construction worker or something.
I'd also be really good at DDR.
PostThu Oct 21, 2004 5:41 pm
Nobuyuki

Obsessor

Post subject:
counterparadox wrote:
Point is, realistically, if you suddenly found out you had super powers, most people would try to use them to make money (Which is what Spidey did) and then, since these powers came about in a short amount of time (as opposed to having to work for them and gradually appearing over the course of one's life, like muscle growth) the person would most likely take the easier way out and succumb to their whims (thus Spidey letting the crook escape who then kiilled Uncle Ben which is the underlying reason that Spidey never commits a crime.)

Agreed, Spidey had to learn things the hard way. He had been told this several times before he became superpowered, as a general life lesson, but the message really didn't hit home until Uncle Ben's death.
Since Peter didn't grow up with his powers the way that 'classic' Superman did, he didn't get to experience from childhood what he could do or the consequences of his actions the way Clark did. And Clark received basically the same advice growing up as Peter did. The Kents did their best to steer Clark away from exploiting himself for selfish gain. The memories of a utopian Krypton he had also also acted as a barrier against using his powers to exploit his adopted homeworld (wouldn't want to sully the Kryptonian legacy, you know Wink ).

Quote:
Hence, I love the idealized Supes, but I really can't pin down a firm, honest, and actual motivation. It's just not natural. Not everyone has the soul of Gandhi, you know.

Because it's not natural. It's a lot easier to connect with Spider-Man or Batman. They are the ideal of what we can be (esp. Batman).
Superman is the ideal we aspire to be.

(as an aside, I love the speech near the end of Kill Bill 2) Cool
PostThu Oct 21, 2004 6:22 pm
just

Veteran

Post subject:
Batman is 50 times better than Superman. But I wonder who's better out of Batman and Spiderman?
PostFri Oct 22, 2004 11:07 am
WhtHawk

Obsessor

Post subject:
Batman.

While both are quite intelegent, Batman has more expierence and an incredible amount of resources to draw from. Spidy has...yea.
PostFri Oct 22, 2004 2:29 pm
counterparadox

Obsessor

Post subject:
No, it all comes back to whether or not Bats has tim to prepare. If they meet on the street and just go at it, Batman's grapple hook is basically useless (as Spidey can web sling) and Spidey is stronger, more agile, and can stick to walls. So it really comes down to how much time Bats has to prepare.

PostSat Oct 23, 2004 3:09 pm
dougisfunny

Obsessor

Post subject:
well, if you throw that in Spidey ain't that shabby at planning ahead. Give him time to prepare, combine it with his spidey sense...
The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
PostSat Oct 23, 2004 10:26 pm
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Andromaton

Obsessor

Post subject:
The thing is though, is that Batman almost seems to have the power to figure out how to negate other peoples powers given enough tme.
PostMon Oct 25, 2004 12:01 pm
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Zechs

Obsessor

Post subject:
Just in terms of wits Spidey is alot more Gung-ho and reckless. Batman has the mental ability to beat him any day. Not to mention Batman's gone plenty of uber-powerful enemies as well. He's not just limited to Pyscopathic bank robbers.
PostMon Oct 25, 2004 2:26 pm
ROBRAM89

Veteran

Post subject:
counterparadox wrote:
And thus you have tapped into a problem of our 'great' society: the need for people to call things either conservative or liberal.

Yes. problem. The very spirit of your argument is flawed. People need to stop going by party lines, or by simplistic words such as liberal or conservative, and start using their heads to look at the FACTS and decide what is right and what is wrong. Objectively right and wrong. Not what's best for you, but instead what is MORALLY RIGHT.

Superman was created way back in, I think, the 30s (lil Help Spook, Fodder, or Nubo?). So was Batman. And they have both evolved. Now, I will agree that Superman has rather week motives when one is to compare him with, say, Spiderman. But to say that he sucks because he's concservative?

WTF?

*Sigh*

I was using the terms conservative and liberal as representations of general ideologies...but, mostly, because the labels had been applied already. Superman is viewed as conservative and Batman is viewed as liberal, but if anything, they are reversed...these are no labels I applied to them, I simply rearranged them. Like I said, neither of them fits either mold perfectly...Supes, as much of a pacifist as he may be, uses force to get things done, and Batman is adamantly against guns. To phrase it in a way I won't get attacked for...

Superman is not the embodiement of conservative values he is often thought to be. He fights for truth, justice, and the American way, but he refuses to kill, or, for that matter, use most means that are sometimes necessary to get things done...Batman will. He deosn't trust humanity as a whole. Superman does. He will take life, presumably (although he is quite adverse to it, despite the fact that some of his villains just plain have it coming). Superman will not.

BTW: I just read KC today, in fact...quite good...although, it did seem to rely on the old "Boy scout Supes, creepy Batman" thing that I hate so much... The best moment in KC for me was seeing a copy of Under the Hood by Hollis Mason in a store window...I nearly got chills.
PostMon Oct 25, 2004 4:47 pm
Andromaton

Obsessor

Post subject:
by the way, neither superman nor batman kill. both are abhorantly against it.

anyway, I just ran acrossed a quote which I thought was just to good not to post in here. it shows a side to supes that damn near never gets explored.

"You know what I got sick of, Bruce? You kicking the crap out of me with your toys. When you're nothing but a man. A man who got to stay alive only because I let you."
— Superman, SUPERMAN/BATMAN #2
PostWed Oct 27, 2004 3:54 am
ROBRAM89

Veteran

Post subject:
Batman/Superman (I refuse to give that overrated creep billing over the Dark Knight) is a quite good series, and, especially with its smartly written dual narration, it explores the relationship between the heroes very well...granted, DKR still showed what they REALLY think of each other instead of the childish rivalry they're usually represented as having.
PostWed Oct 27, 2004 2:07 pm
just

Veteran

Post subject:
Batman and Superman make a good team. Sometimes Superman's rigtheousness gets in the way. Batman is careless but skilled. I think Superman should get a little more edgy if he wants to really team up with the bat. Supperman always seems to have a bad day too. I mean how many times does one have to go through a building?
PostFri Oct 29, 2004 11:08 am
counterparadox

Obsessor

Post subject:
Batman is anything BUT careless. Mabye Terry is in Batman Beyond, but Bruce Wayne is smart, methodical, and knows what he's doing. IS he risky? Sure. But he is not careless.

PostFri Oct 29, 2004 3:59 pm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Miscellaneous Babble All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 9 of 11

Jump to: