нет

Results
Polls

Votes: 764
Comments: 7

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Toonami Infolink: Forums

Toonami Infolink :: View topic - Critism of biased and disrespectful review of the eva films
Toonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerLToonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerL
:: Home :: Forum FAQ :: Search :: TDA Chat Room :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
Critism of biased and disrespectful review of the eva films

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Toonami
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dillpops

Obsessor

Post subject: Critism of biased and disrespectful review of the eva films
Manga Criticizes Newtype Saturday, November 9, 2002

Article From AnimeNewsNetwork.com

Manga Entertainment's CEO, Marvin Gleicher, has criticized the editors of Newtype USA for what he feels is a "biased and disrespectful review of the two Evangelion feature films."

RE: Recent NewType review of Evangelion: Death and Rebirth and The End of Evangelion

Dear Editor;

On behalf of GAINAX Studios and Production I.G., I feel compelled to respond to what I feel is a biased and disrespectful review of the two Evangelion feature films - Evangelion: Death and Rebirth and The End of Evangelion.

As many of your readers are no doubt aware, from its very inception GAINAX has consistently produced some of the most creative, thoughtful and iconoclastic works of animation ever set to celluloid. By breaking with the long-standing tradition of basing their animated works on pre-existing stories and folk tales, GAINAX has been credited with freeing animation from the constraints which have allowed it to be perceived as a derivative medium. In so doing, they have established animated film as a self-sufficient art form (Time Magazine, November 22, 1999).

With Evangelion, GAINAX once again revolutionized anime by taking the "giant robot" genre - a stagnating staple of the otaku diet - and deconstructing the adolescent power fantasy to its foundations. In so doing, Hideaki Anno has painted us an intensely personal portrait of psychological paralysis. The fact that legions of anime fans in Japan and abroad have identified with and embraced Anno's weak, self-loathing and reluctant protagonist, Shinji, is a testament to the importance of this work and reinforces one of the ultimate messages within the films - human existence, though replete with frustration, miscommunication and anguish, is to be chosen and embraced despite these qualities.

To characterize Evangelion as a tale about "14 year old rugrats who pilot lanky bio-mechs that contain the souls of their dead mommies...," is tantamount to reducing Brave New World to a sci-fi action/adventure novel. To summarize the events of End of Evangelion as "... Rei gets big. Eva unit 1 turns into an intergalactic crucifix ... everybody dies," is to completely ignore the depth and symbolism present within the film. It's clear that the author of this "review" hasn't made the slightest effort to interpret or reflect upon anything he's seen, but has merely given us the most facile and vapid "book report" of these films. Moreover, his observation that the first 20 minutes of The End of Evangelion repeat the content of the last 20 minutes of Death and Rebirth fails to acknowledge the fact that this is the way these films were released theatrically in Japan. Any decision Manga Entertainment might have made to deviate from this content would have been done at the expense of the artistic integrity of the films' creators. The subsequent implication that we consider our audience comprised of "Sucka's" because we did not edit this content is based entirely upon the author's ignorance and lack of research.

You, as editor of this magazine, are responsible for its content. As such, you've allowed an article to appear therein which is flippant in its tone, completely devoid of anything resembling responsible journalistic research, and insulting to the Japanese creators to whom your magazine owes its existence. I can only infer that the decision to print this article was made in order to malign our product. If it is the intent of NewType Magazine to compromise journalistic objectivity in favor of the marketing agendas of its parent company, ADV, I sincerely hope your readership quickly realizes that in purchasing your magazine they, in fact, are the "Sucka's."

Sincerely,

Marvin Gleicher
C.E.O. Manga Entertainment Inc.

what do you guys think of that then? Manga Entertainment was the company who released the two films and the series over here in the UK and Europe by the way ^^
PostSat Nov 09, 2002 11:03 am
Zechs

Obsessor

Post subject:
Man that guy got TOLD. The NGE movies are a little overrated IMO, but that's only because I didn't enjoy the series as much as most people. Those quotes really do sound like they come from a ten-year-old DBZ nut who is to young to understand the symbolism and depth that NGE has....
PostSat Nov 09, 2002 11:48 am
Spookmonkey

Obsessor

Post subject:
the "bias and disrespectful review" just had the reviewers current fad of distanced prescise sarcasm. Reducing things to smaol sarcastic bites. Gainax should be used to this by now.

He's better than Pop-Rocks!
PostSat Nov 09, 2002 12:57 pm
Gerbera345

Post subject:
That and it's not like they could have gone into a big 20 page review on them, you'd think they'd realize that by now.

That and the industry has turned to the short concise and sarcastic comments, it works so why drop it?
PostSat Nov 09, 2002 2:19 pm
Beatdiggga

Obsessor

Post subject:
Because people take offense to the tiniest things these days.
PostSat Nov 09, 2002 4:51 pm
gfpaperboy22

Loser

Post subject:
Hence why everything has become rated, restricted, and banned.
(I.E. Video games, TV Shows, etc.) I agree with the man from Manga. I doubt the reviewer had seen the series all the way through, much less watched it over and over again to try and figure out "what the hell just happened". Evangelion IS one of the deepest animes I have ever seen. I learn something new everytime I watch it, and I've seen it through at least a hundred times now.
PostSat Nov 09, 2002 5:40 pm
Nobuyuki

Obsessor

Post subject:
I thought it was a humor column. Embarassed

Apparently I'm the only one that thought it was funny...
PostSat Nov 09, 2002 9:20 pm
dillpops

Obsessor

Post subject:
Did anyone notice that the dummy plugs say: kowaru on them?
PostSun Nov 10, 2002 6:11 am
Chibi_Zero

Obsessor

Post subject:
Yeah I've noticed. But's only the Dummy Plugs SEELE used I think.
PostSun Nov 10, 2002 7:19 am

Post subject:
ah, that's when I noticed them, when they were loaded to swoop down on Asuka's unit
PostSun Nov 10, 2002 9:17 am
dillpops

Obsessor

Post subject:
Anonymous wrote:
ah, that's when I noticed them, when they were loaded to swoop down on Asuka's unit

dammit and I WAS SIGNED IN! wait..what's this...yellow screen name...w00t
PostSun Nov 10, 2002 12:52 pm
Zechs

Obsessor

Post subject:
Lol, calm down dill one post ain't the end of the world. You probably havn't something messed up with your cookies.
PostSun Nov 10, 2002 4:15 pm
TheWorldWeKnow

Frequenter

Post subject:
my relatively unimportant opinion

Evangelion TV Series = awesome beyond belief, and it's concept's importance was even beyond that

Evangelion Movies: alright, but extremely boring...
PostSun Nov 10, 2002 8:16 pm
Kalma

Veteran

Post subject:
Wow, the oldest topic that I can find and I can also say something on topic.

I can say that I liked this series, wierd, but very well done.

"If you people cared as much for human life as we do, we wouldn't have to kill all of you."
PostMon Dec 15, 2003 8:18 pm
Andromaton

Obsessor

Post subject:
stop unearthing thread corpses, especially on purpose or I will unleash the mummy's curse upon you.
PostMon Dec 15, 2003 9:27 pm
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Toonami All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: