нет

Results
Polls

Votes: 764
Comments: 7

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Toonami Infolink: Forums

Toonami Infolink :: View topic - Disney calls for Eisner to Resign
Toonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerLToonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerL
:: Home :: Forum FAQ :: Search :: TDA Chat Room :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
Disney calls for Eisner to Resign
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Animation Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andromaton

Obsessor

Post subject:
If I were Disney I would sell off the ESPN and ABC networks, at this time I have a feeling some of the problem is that Disney has become bloated off of having "too much variety" in its holdings.

Disney needs to strengthen its roots badly and it can't do that when you have branches that go way way to far off in the wrong crazy directions.

Disney needs to get away from hording it's properties, allow it's shows to be on other networks.

On top of all that, creative a new subsidiary to create adult (tv-14/pg-13 and over) animations for both television and theater.

Well, that's what I would do, doubt a single piece of it will be done.
PostTue Dec 16, 2003 8:55 pm
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Daikun

Obsessor

Post subject:
Andromaton wrote:
If I were Disney I would sell off the ESPN and ABC networks, at this time I have a feeling some of the problem is that Disney has become bloated off of having "too much variety" in its holdings.

Disney needs to strengthen its roots badly and it can't do that when you have branches that go way way to far off in the wrong crazy directions.

Disney needs to get away from hording it's properties, allow it's shows to be on other networks.

Agreed. Disney owns too much crap, and some of their recent acquisitons were pretty stupid. I mean, come on! What were they thinking when they bought Saban? SABAN?!?!? The X Bridge's #1 HFIL Infinite Loser, the ultimate butchers of anime classics, and producers of some of the crappiest shows to date? What was Eisner smoking when he bought THAT company?
PostWed Dec 17, 2003 1:26 am
Nobuyuki

Obsessor

Post subject:
Daikun wrote:
What were they thinking when they bought Saban? SABAN?!?!? The X Bridge's #1 HFIL Infinite Loser, the ultimate butchers of anime classics, and producers of some of the crappiest shows to date?

THIS.

"AMSTERDAM (Variety) --- European kid net Fox Kids Europe boosted its pretax profit to $5.6 million, turning around from a loss of $32.7 million in the previous period, and reported a 14% rise in revenues to $152 million in the fiscal year that ended Sept. 30.

The higher numbers were a result of strong performances by channels and online operations, helped by a $26 million writeoff related to FKE's programming library. Channel and online operations revenue increased by 31% to $109.4 million. Subscription revs rose 28% to $75.2 million on the back of a 2.5 million subscriber increase to 34.8 million.

Ad revenues jumped 36% to $30.3 million despite a fairly flat ad market across Europe. "We are good at what we do," Bruce Steinberg, chairman-CEO of Fox Kids said. "We continued to add new homes, improved the programming, and that in turn increased the ratings," all factors that helped draw additional ads."

Basically, broadening their market in Europe, and now expanding into India.

Andromaton wrote:
On top of all that, creative a new subsidiary to create adult (tv-14/pg-13 and over) animations for both television and theater.

Touchstone Animation?
It's a nice dream, anyway...*sigh*
PostWed Dec 17, 2003 2:02 am
Andromaton

Obsessor

Post subject:
Daikun wrote:
Andromaton wrote:

Agreed. Disney owns too much crap, and some of their recent acquisitons were pretty stupid. I mean, come on! What were they thinking when they bought Saban? SABAN?!?!? The X Bridge's #1 HFIL Infinite Loser, the ultimate butchers of anime classics, and producers of some of the crappiest shows to date? What was Eisner smoking when he bought THAT company?

Oh wait, Disney isn't Anime based... SO THAT PART HAD NO BEARING ON THE DESCISION. On top of what Nobu said, remember that Saban/Fox Kids did have a VERY impressive non anime library.

Oh, and I'd also through all the Fox Kids cartoon on Toon disney and actually orginize that damned channel into blocks.
PostWed Dec 17, 2003 2:34 pm
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kalma

Veteran

Post subject:
They put most of that stuff on ABC Family.

"If you people cared as much for human life as we do, we wouldn't have to kill all of you."
PostWed Dec 17, 2003 4:05 pm
Andromaton

Obsessor

Post subject:
actually no, they didn't
PostThu Dec 18, 2003 4:27 am
Daikun

Obsessor

Post subject:
Andromaton wrote:
Oh, and I'd also through all the Fox Kids cartoon on Toon disney and actually orginize that damned channel into blocks.

I'm with you on that, just as long as its from the old days of Fox Kids when Margaret Loache was in charge before the Saban invasion. Those were the best days of the block. I would personally like to see stuff like Bobby's World, Eek! The Cat, The Terrible Thunderlizards, Taz-Mania, etc. back on the airwaves.
PostThu Dec 18, 2003 4:45 am
Daikun

Obsessor

Post subject:
The Los Angeles Times has an update on the situation.

http://www.latimes.com/business/custom/cotown/la-fi-eisner20dec20,1,7697869.story?coll=la-headlines-business-enter

You'll need an account to activate the site. If you're too lazy for that, here's the copy-and-pasted article.

Two former Walt Disney Co. directors at odds with Chairman Michael Eisner won't nominate a dissident slate for the company's annual meeting, they confirmed Friday.

Roy E. Disney and Stanley P. Gold had until today to make nominations or place issues on the agenda. They said through a spokesman that "the timing was insufficient" for a shareholder campaign and would be "inconsistent with our strategy."

Any move to nominate directors was considered a longshot, given the short time and steep costs that would have been involved in soliciting shareholder votes.

Disney's annual meeting is usually held in February or March. The date and location are expected to be unveiled next month in the company's proxy statement. The company declined to comment Friday.

Three weeks ago, Disney and Gold quit the board, calling for Eisner to step down and criticizing other directors for being too passive. They contended that the company's performance had deteriorated during the last seven years.

Other directors shot back at the two men, calling their actions "a disservice to shareholders" and contending that the company's management was turning the company around.

Some analysts think Disney's stock price increase in the last year has given Eisner some breathing room by reducing shareholder dissatisfaction.

The two former directors "need to get some of the institutional investors on their side," said Paul Hodgson, senior researcher for the Corporate Library, a governance website. "That's more difficult than a year ago because Disney has had a minor turnaround." If investors "think Eisner has a few more years in him, they'll leave him there," Hodgson said.

Roy Disney is the nephew of company namesake Walt Disney. Gold is Roy Disney's longtime lieutenant at his Burbank-based investment vehicle Shamrock Holdings.

The two have said they planned to begin talks soon with shareholders to argue their case but haven't detailed specifics, saying they don't want to tip their hand to Disney.

Observers believe that the pair, for now, most probably will urge shareholders to protest by voting against approving Eisner and other directors for their board seats.

"A 'no' vote is the cheapest form of activism," said Patrick McGurn, senior vice president and special counsel at Institutional Shareholder Services, a Rockville, Md., proxy advisory service whose clients include some major Disney investors.

Electing directors at a public company's annual meeting is usually a pro forma, near-unanimous exercise, so the goal in dissident votes usually is to garner enough support to embarrass a company. McGurn said any protest vote exceeding 20% would be considered a sign of significant investor discontent.

"It's the de facto line of demarcation between successful and unsuccessful 'no' vote campaigns," McGurn said.

In May, Time Warner Inc. shareholders protested by giving only 78% approval to board member Steve Case, an architect of the ill-fated America Online Inc.-Time Warner merger.
PostMon Dec 22, 2003 7:15 pm
Kalma

Veteran

Post subject:
Andromaton wrote:
actually no, they didn't

Yes, they put Digimon onto the ABC Family Channel.

"If you people cared as much for human life as we do, we wouldn't have to kill all of you."
PostTue Dec 23, 2003 12:51 am
Daikun

Obsessor

Post subject:
Kalma wrote:

Andro said MOST (key word here) of Fox Kids' stuff, not just any at all. They only put on a few shows (3 or 4 total) and neglected the rest.
PostTue Dec 23, 2003 4:07 am
Andromaton

Obsessor

Post subject:
Kalma wrote:
Andromaton wrote:
actually no, they didn't

Don't mess with the maestro. I have watched, studied, and owned more cartoons than you will in your lifetime. Animation is my business, I know my business.
PostSat Dec 27, 2003 2:40 pm
Nobuyuki

Obsessor

Post subject:
Roy Disney rallies the faithful at Disneyana convention

Quote:
GARDEN GROVE, Calif. - Roy E. Disney got a standing ovation Saturday as he brought his campaign to oust Walt Disney Co. chairman and chief executive Michael Eisner to lovers of all things Disney.

Disney said management decisions have dulled the creative edge of the entertainment giant.

"One of the reasons for my leaving, other than the fact that they fired me, was that I saw that quality slipping away from us," Disney told collectors of Disney memorabilia at their semiannual meeting.

The 72-year-old son of company co-founder Roy O. Disney resigned from the board of directors in November after learning that that the board's governance and nominating committee was going to enforce the mandatory retirement age of 72.

Disney and longtime supporter Stanley Gold, who also resigned from the board, are trying to drum up support to replace Eisner, saying he is to blame for embarrassing management missteps and a focus on short-term profits over the company's core mission.

"I want to thank you for all your enormous support for the Disney idea," Roy Disney told about 200 people from around the country gathered for a meeting of "NFFC - The Club for Disneyana Enthusiasts."

"It stands for quality," he said of the Disney brand. "It stands for families, it stands for getting your money's worth and it stands for a lot of innovation and a lot of new and creative ideas that make things fun every time you visit a park or go to a film."

Disney was asked to comment on changes since his departure that he has seen at the Disneyland theme park, just two miles north of the hotel hosting the convention.

"I have to pay to get in now, that's one thing," he replied.

Disney did not offer many specifics about his continued campaign against Eisner and acknowledged "a sense of frustration" about the time his efforts were taking.

"It may take awhile," he said. "We've got to figure out how to keep the ball in the air and keep the heat on these people."

Disney, who still has some shareholder voting privileges, said he planned to attend the company's annual meeting March 3 in Philadelphia, when management will present a slate of nominees for election to the board. Eisner is expected to be up for re-election.

"We will at some point let you know how we're going to vote," Roy Disney said. "I guess you can probably guess."

Disney, who also gave up his chairmanship of Disney's animation unit when he resigned, decried the recent closing of the company's animation studio in Orlando, which resulted in about 230 layoffs.

"To me, it's a failure of management to figure out what to do with creative people, a failure to realize creativity is the basis of this company," he said.

PostSun Jan 18, 2004 2:18 pm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Animation Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: