нет

Results
Polls

Votes: 764
Comments: 7

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Toonami Infolink: Forums

Toonami Infolink :: View topic - Nuke the hurricanes!
Toonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerLToonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerL
:: Home :: Forum FAQ :: Search :: TDA Chat Room :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
Nuke the hurricanes!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Miscellaneous Babble
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daikun

Obsessor

Post subject: Nuke the hurricanes!
Quote:
Amateur hurricane-busters have come up with any number of crackpot ideas to spare Florida from ferocious storms. Among them: blowing hurricanes away with giant fans or blowing them up with nuclear warheads.

Even the federal government got into the act, with three decades of ill-fated research called "Project Stormfury" before shelving the idea of weather modification in the 1980s.

But dozens of ideas — part hope, part fantasy — continue to crop up among weather wonks, Internet bloggers and others who think they have come up with a way to spare coastal residents the misery of hurricanes.

Suggestions have included coating the surface of the water with olive oil; towing an iceberg down to Florida to cool down the water temperature; or building large fans on the coast to blow away approaching storms.

"And then there was a guy who called and said he could pray them away," said Hugh Willoughby, a research professor with the International Hurricane Center at Florida International University.

By far the most outlandish proposal, and one of the most recurrent, was the idea to use a nuclear warhead to blow a hurricane out of the water.

"Hurricanes are bad enough without being radioactive," Willoughby said. "Put that genie back in the bottle. Nuclear weapons are more dangerous than hurricanes."

Willoughby, who reviewed some of the proposed inventions when he was director of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's hurricane research division, said many of the ideas are quickly debunked for lacking a basic understanding of meteorology.

One government plan was to spread a substance on the water, but the wind and waves made it impossible to keep a slick, he said.

"All of these underestimate the scale of a storm," Willoughby said.

Still, one South Florida businessman thinks he has a winning idea — flying a Boeing 747 into the monster storm, where it would hit it with tons of super absorbent powder, literally sucking it dry and breaking it apart.

Only a test will determine if it is a flight of fantasy, and there are no plans to try the process on the approaching Hurricane Ivan.

But businessman Peter Cordani, chief operating officer of Dyn-O-Mat, a company that sells environmental absorbent products, thinks he can knock down a storm by one or two categories.

He claims to have caused a thunderstorm to disappear in a test off Palm Beach, and he's assembled a team including two former astronauts to work on the plan.

"We have a lot of confidence in it," said Scott Mac Leod, one of the astronauts who tested the lunar module.

Others aren't so sure.

The government's Atlantic Oceanographic and Meteorological Laboratory describes the proposal as a long-shot: Any effect of the absorbent powder would be small, and require thousands of tons of goop, flown into the storm in hundreds of sorties every half hour or so.

Willoughby said the project would be "hugely expensive for not much benefit."

"It would really take all of the military heavy-lift aircraft that the United States has to carry the material, and there would be a major air traffic control problem around the eye," he told the AP last year.

The government suggests that amateur hurricane busters focus their energy on more realistic goals — enforcing building codes, educating the public about preparedness and helping poorer nations prepare for the storms.

Source: Yahoo! News

What are your thoughts on this?
PostThu Sep 16, 2004 12:30 am
ROBRAM89

Veteran

Post subject:
Jell-O, man, or Alka-Seltzer. Gotta do something.
PostThu Sep 16, 2004 2:37 pm
Andromaton

Obsessor

Post subject:
Febreeze, Duct Tape and a wire coat hanger will stop anything.
PostThu Sep 16, 2004 3:35 pm
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ROBRAM89

Veteran

Post subject:
Set it on fire...wait, scratch that.
PostThu Sep 16, 2004 3:42 pm
Goldfinger2K

Obsessor

Post subject:
oh man i can jsut imagine that ... a hurricane of fire...
omg.

peace
"Toonami, better than getting kicked in the nuts!"-me
"If I was so inclined, I would have groped you five times!"^O^hohohohoho!-Vash
PostThu Sep 16, 2004 4:53 pm
ROBRAM89

Veteran

Post subject:
Well it's full of water, so I doubt it'd ignite unless you steadily poured tons of napalm into it then launched a missle at it...HAHAHA, missile.
PostThu Sep 16, 2004 8:09 pm
ToonamiL

Veteran

Post subject:
Why did I think this before?

Bush: Them hurricanes are attacking us. So, what we will do is give the hurricane 24 hours and if it doesn't hand over its weapons of mass destruction, we will nuke you and attack. Hurricanes....(zoom in)...bring it on!
PostThu Sep 16, 2004 8:10 pm
ROBRAM89

Veteran

Post subject:
Kinda like Paul Bunyon lassoing a tornado.

BTW, I'm a republican, so that's actually the most radical way I could play off of that last joke...but I swore I'd never discuss on a message board unless provoked, so I'll spare you.
PostThu Sep 16, 2004 8:15 pm
Goldfinger2K

Obsessor

Post subject:
ToonamiL wrote:
Why did I think this before?

Bush: Them hurricanes are attacking us. So, what we will do is give the hurricane 24 hours and if it doesn't hand over its weapons of mass destruction, we will nuke you and attack. Hurricanes....(zoom in)...bring it on!

the Kill Bill Vol.2 70s style zoom?

peace
"Toonami, better than getting kicked in the nuts!"-me
"If I was so inclined, I would have groped you five times!"^O^hohohohoho!-Vash
PostThu Sep 16, 2004 8:43 pm
ROBRAM89

Veteran

Post subject:
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEoooooooooooooooooooEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEoooooooooooooooooooooEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEooooooooooooooo....DUNT DUNT DUNT DAAA!
PostThu Sep 16, 2004 8:57 pm
John_Bono_Smithy_Satchmo

Obsessor

Post subject:
If this guy's powder can "knock a hurricane down a category or two," I'd like to see that technology used in damage-prevention for bombs.
The entire idea of nuclear warheads being used to stop a hurricane is preposterous, not for the threat of radiation. (After all, after hundreds of nuclear tests per year over decades in Nevada, all we've seen is an increased number of leukimia cases in the down-wind town. And we can make much cleaner bombs with today's technology.) No, the problem is that there just isn't enough energy released from a nuclear blast to remotely slow a hurricane. A sizable tornado has the kinetic energy equivelant to a nuclear blast in the tens of megatons, what can one do against something as massive as a hurricane.
Forgive me if I'm a little skeptical of Mr. Cordoni's claims.
PostFri Sep 17, 2004 3:11 am
Daikun

Obsessor

Post subject:
John_Bono_Smithy_Satchmo wrote:
Forgive me if I'm a little skeptical of Mr. Cordoni's claims.

You're not alone.
PostFri Sep 17, 2004 4:03 am
ROBRAM89

Veteran

Post subject:
People...come on, here...Jell-O.
PostFri Sep 17, 2004 4:19 pm
John_Bono_Smithy_Satchmo

Obsessor

Post subject:
Now that I think about it though, I'd like to see what someone in the know would think about ising ion cannons. The steam created on such a large scale might be enough to disrupt a hurricane at least a little... and perhaps cause 2 other weather catastrophes in the process.
PostFri Sep 17, 2004 7:25 pm
Daikun

Obsessor

Post subject:
I say we stab the hurricanes with samurai swords.

Or blast them with space lasers.
PostFri Sep 17, 2004 7:28 pm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Miscellaneous Babble All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: