нет

Results
Polls

Votes: 764
Comments: 7

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Toonami Infolink: Forums

Toonami Infolink :: View topic - BIG News in the world of Comic Strips
Toonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerLToonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerL
:: Home :: Forum FAQ :: Search :: TDA Chat Room :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
BIG News in the world of Comic Strips

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Miscellaneous Babble
View previous topic :: View next topic  
counterparadox

Obsessor

Post subject: BIG News in the world of Comic Strips
http://www.pvponline.com/rants_panel.php3

My thoughts on this are that the bad comic strips like Family Circus and REd and Rover will die. However, it's possible that Doonesbury, Non Sequitor, and Zits would also die. That bothers me. But mayhaps newspapers will base their decisions purely on entertainment, and it could be entirely plausible that the overall quality of the daily comic strip could increase.

I've read the comics every day of my life since I was in 3rd grade. To me, they are an art that I respect. So I'm hoping this is a good thing. But it could swing either way.

Play City of Heroes/Villians? Look me up, Pinnacle server, @C Paradox
PostMon Aug 09, 2004 8:38 pm
JohnnyPsycho

Veteran

Post subject:
if Kurtz's plan actually works, I'll be impressed and scared at the same time... actually, while many people may not think too much about the large industry built-into the funny pages, which is almost completely controlled by the "syndicates" (and yes, I do sort of see these syndicates like King Features and Universal Press being run like the freakin' mafia sometimes), if one guy can make it into papers on a nationwide level with his ownership intact, then I think the syndicates will suddenly find themselves scrambling...

but what I wouldn't want would for the newspapers to suddenly think "hey, let's get any old web-comic we want", because not all web-comics are created equal, and yes, there are (admittedly a small handful) of good syndicated comics out there today that I would hate to see leave if the newspapers begin to completely abandon the syndicates...

I doubt that any newspaper would be stupid enough to drop Doonesbury or the Boondocks, though i've been proven wrong before...

"I plan to live forever. So far so good." -Steven Wright
PostMon Aug 09, 2004 9:57 pm
John_Bono_Smithy_Satchmo

Obsessor

Post subject:
My favorite line was on the message board they linked on PA,
Quote:
Professionals value their work sufficiently to expect payment for it; I consider that part of the definition of the word (otherwise it's a hobby). Giving it away devalues both the product and its creator, reinforcing the view that comics are disposable and worthless. If Kurtz's model were to catch on, the end result would be bad comics done by bad cartoonists, since anyone with sufficient skills to be a professional syndicated cartoonist would find other ways to profitably use them.

Keep in mind the person that posted this firmly believes in the standard syndicate distribution method: the original creator has no rights to his comic. Funny how with the current online model, only good comics make it to anyone's eyes, while stale chaff gets thrown in the gutter (kind of opposite to what's in the papers today, ne?). I mean, how many good comics are there in the paper? I can only think of Get Fuzzy and Doonsebury. Drabble was kinda funny for the first couple months, then went downhill.
PostTue Aug 10, 2004 12:13 am
dougisfunny

Obsessor

Post subject:
only good comic was calvin and hobbes... but its gone...
The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
PostTue Aug 10, 2004 12:10 pm
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ToonamiL

Veteran

Post subject:
Dougisfunny is so true...
PostTue Aug 10, 2004 3:31 pm
counterparadox

Obsessor

Post subject:
I appreciated Zits (in a way, it's Calvin and Hobbes 10 years after we last saw him.), Non Sequitor, Doonesbury, Get Fuzzy, and Fox Trot. And Dilbert is usually entertaining.

Garfield should have died the day Jim Davis stopped drawing it (Year 5. It's not in year 26.) And while Charlie Brown really wasn't that entertaining, you HAVE to respect a guy that was the only one that ever drew his strip for 50 years, and REFUSED to EVER take ANY idea for a strip from anyone. He even had parkinsin's disease and still drew his freakin strip. That's dedication.

I don't think that the syndicates should own the strip. They didn't create it. I hate how they can bully an artist. Otherwise, the whole Creator-getting-paid-and-distributed-through-syndicate ain't that bad . . .

PostTue Aug 10, 2004 7:24 pm
Andromaton

Obsessor

Post subject:
the thing is CFP, that's how the entertainment industry works. Comic-books do it, animation studios do it, just about everybody does it that way. You know how we artists deal with it? We get better contracts, either by leaving our creation behind and moving to a new studio with a new idea/material or renegotiating the contract we already have to get new freedoms or right retention for subsequent characters (such as for spin-offs).

There are as always exceptions to the rule but those exceptions will never break the rule. If that were true Nickalodeon would have died ages ago, so would have Marvel (I know they almost did) and DC. I don't like the situation but what I can do about it is keep what I really like back until I have a bit of clout so I can make a demand like "I own this now and forever". It's called selling a series for a reason.

I personally think Scott is a stupid jackass. A successful stupid jackass but still a stupid jackass all the same. The ego and preteniousness he has could fill a frickin stadium.
PostTue Aug 10, 2004 7:57 pm
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
John_Bono_Smithy_Satchmo

Obsessor

Post subject:
The newspapers in my area don't run Non Siqueter... I never heard about it until I went to Rolla.

And I hate you all.
PostTue Aug 10, 2004 10:06 pm
Andromaton

Obsessor

Post subject:
John_Bono_Smithy_Satchmo wrote:
The newspapers in my area don't run Non Siqueter... I never heard about it until I went to Rolla.

And I hate you all.

well aint that tough donkey cookies for you?
PostTue Aug 10, 2004 11:17 pm
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
counterparadox

Obsessor

Post subject:
Bono, see if Non Sequitor still has all the Adventures of Homer strips online. Those are worth getting your hands on.

And Spook, I guess it's because I consider myself an intellectual that I am under the opinion that if you create it, it's YOURS now and forever. From what I've seen, only the same mind or group of minds could continue something the way it was originally intended, and even THEN they can mess it up. But they seem to have the best chance. I mean, I deffinitely see the need for, say, syndicates, in such things as distribution and collecting payment, but I dojn't think they should own it in exchange for doing those menial tasks that the artist is too bored with/lazy/not enough time to do.

PostWed Aug 11, 2004 3:00 pm
Andromaton

Obsessor

Post subject:
I whole heartilly agree that control (or at least partial) should stay with the creator if they wish it. But if everything stayed owned by the creator it drive the entertainment world (animation, comics, videogames, anime, manga) either out of business by hitting such a slump or nothing would reach the masses; nothing would see world wide conglomeration and consumption. Artistic types tend top not have the best business and marketing sense in the world. Why? Because a majority of us don't think that way, our minds are just not able to wrap around something that could be so big and know how to make it work. If the artist gets dicked over it's their own fault by not having a good enough lawyer read over the contract with their interests in mind.
PostWed Aug 11, 2004 6:19 pm
FinalDivineDragoon

Obsessor

Post subject:
Flame me all you want but, whatever makes these "comics" funnier, the better. As far as i'm concerned 90% of all newspaper comics suck. I consider them nothing more than unfunny illustrated page-filler.....or maybe I should change that to page-fodder.
PostWed Aug 11, 2004 8:40 pm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dougisfunny

Obsessor

Post subject:
the music industry, artists have agents, the agents sign with companys, the companies don't own the songs.
The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
PostWed Aug 11, 2004 10:06 pm
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
FinalDivineDragoon

Obsessor

Post subject:
No, but the amount of times said songs are licensed for commercials, tv shows, movies, and so on might as well consider them owned by the agents.
PostWed Aug 11, 2004 11:06 pm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Andromaton

Obsessor

Post subject:
also remember that musicians make almost zero moneys from album sales. the syndacites atleast share more of the profits.
PostThu Aug 12, 2004 3:39 am
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Miscellaneous Babble All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: