нет

Results
Polls

Votes: 764
Comments: 7

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Toonami Infolink: Forums

Toonami Infolink :: View topic - SEMI VICTOLY11!1 (Or Azumanga liscened, finally)
Toonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerLToonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerL
:: Home :: Forum FAQ :: Search :: TDA Chat Room :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
SEMI VICTOLY11!1 (Or Azumanga liscened, finally)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shinobo

Frequenter

Post subject: SEMI VICTOLY11!1 (Or Azumanga liscened, finally)
For all of you who follow ANN regularly, there was recently a story about ADV disclosing its new acquisitions. Among them was a show known as Azumanga Daioh. This show is funny on the same hilarity level as Excel Saga, if a little less crazy (or more so!). You should all be thanking ADV with gifts of the purest purething that you can find. Now that it is licensed, I feel it's appropriate to do another one of my "HEY LETS LOOK AT SCREENCAPS GUYZ K?!1!" Threads. I even have a short clip for you people to look at. Aren't I nice? Enough babbling....ON WITH THE SHOW!

For months, I'd been hearing about this new anime series called Azumanga Daioh, and how crazy it was, and how awesome it was blah blah blah. It's the story (as far as I can tell) about these high school girls. "Big Deal" you say? Did I mention it's not done in formal episode format? Did I mention it's by the staff of Excel Saga? (JC Staff) Did I mention it's HILARIOUS?! Oh wait, I did. Too bad. It’s worth repeating.

The original manga was not done in a traditional style. Instead, it was done in the four panel system most American comics are done in. Thus the show is done is this short vignette style, with multiple mini stories making up an episode. A somewhat similar example would be the style of the Simpsons: every “story” shares the same set of characters with the same personalities, and what happens to them in one story carries over to the next, but the stories aren’t really connected to a larger plot.

As I said before, the story focuses around several girls, all of whom have different personality quirks that add to the overall humor. In addition, the three teachers and the rest of their class all serve as devices for humor at some point. I can't really describe the humor, only that it comes from a combination of a very well done soundtrack, impeccable timing on behalf of the VAs, animators, and director, and the sheer quirkiness. The clip I have for you guys involves one of my favorite characters (Osaka) and should help explain how the humor works.

The opening and ending themes are done by Oranges and Lemons. Please, find them and listen to them if you have any cute loving bone in your body. The soundtracks themselves (I own Vols. 1 and 2) are series of approx. 1:30 long songs that just fit the show so well in terms of both length and feel.

I won’t detail every character or every situation. There are too many. Just wait in anxious anticipation. Cause I sure as hell ain’t sending anyone my fansubs, seeing as it’s been licensed. Mwa mwa mwa. Judging by ADV’s excellent work with Excel, this dub should be amazing. I encourage you all to keep Azumanga in mind for this summer.

BEHOLD THE MARVELOUS SCREEN SHOTS!

The title. The hilarity begins.

Yukari-Sensei. Isn't that fun? She's a lazy English teacher who's friends with the gym teacher. She's also quite funny.

Chiyo-chan. She's your new killer cutefactor. She's ten and is so smart she's in high school. She's good at almost everything, execpt tounge twisters......

......and she sometimes has trouble rembering to do her homework.

Say hi to Sakai-san, athelete extaordinar and obessed with cute things like kitties and puppies.....

TOO BAD THE KITTIES AND PUPPIES DON'T LIKE HER!11!!!!

Say Hi to Tomo-chan, resident highschool crazy girl. In the first episode she challenges Chiyo-chan to a compettion of school work....

And Sakaki-san to a race, which she promptly loses. However, she claims some piece of success....

What was that Tomo-chan?

I don't think we all heard you....

Now, my favorite character, Osaka. She gets that nickname because she's from Osaka. She remind me so much of myself because she spaces out at random intervals. Here! Have a funny clip featuring her. QT required, of course.

It's 16 megs, so download before you watch.
http://www.missouri.edu/~rbcb62/osaka.mov

In summary, Azumanga is hilarious, and should be snatched up the second ADV puts those things on store shelves. Thank yous.
PostWed Apr 30, 2003 4:13 pm
BebopDeathGod

Post subject:
This show looks really good. They announced it when i was at Anime Boston at the ADV panel. They played a long preview and i recognized where the party hard penguin gif came from. Very Happy
PostWed Apr 30, 2003 6:57 pm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Chibi_Zero

Obsessor

Post subject:
I love Azumanga. I can't pick a favorite character...They all seem to interesting personalities(sp?)
PostWed Apr 30, 2003 8:32 pm
Chibi_Zero

Obsessor

Post subject:
This is an old topic but this news fits here
ADV Manga says the first volume of Azumanga Daioh has been scheduled for September 16th.
PostSun Aug 10, 2003 7:39 am
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Toonami All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: