нет

Results
Polls

Votes: 764
Comments: 7

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Toonami Infolink: Forums

Toonami Infolink :: View topic - I have a Question
Toonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerLToonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerL
:: Home :: Forum FAQ :: Search :: TDA Chat Room :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
I have a Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Semi Anime-Related Babble
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Duckking

Post subject: I have a Question
Why do Japanese animators use more Americans faces design in amine instead of Japanese people?
PostTue Jul 06, 2004 12:30 am
Andromaton

Obsessor

Post subject:
We white folk are just geneticly superior, animatibly speaking of course. No really, we have a wider range of facial feature shape, size and colors. Very Happy
PostTue Jul 06, 2004 12:52 am
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Duckking

Post subject:
Ok, I was just wondering because after talking with my friend about anime he wanted to know why they do that. So that made me look at all the anime I own to see what anime bases their faces off of Americans and I found that all of them where base off of Americans.
PostTue Jul 06, 2004 2:39 pm
Fodder

Obsessor

Post subject:
Because we have expressions and eyes that arent half the size of our heads. We are different then the same millions of people they see daily. Oh yeah and we are the biggest audience for anime exports. So you pander to the people who buy
PostThu Jul 08, 2004 9:13 am
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
counterparadox

Obsessor

Post subject:
Also goes back to Walt Disney. Disney made the first widly released cartoons. The guy that did Astroboy (the first anime) saw it and was really intrigued. So he 'copied' the technique and style. With it came the larger eyese and such that are typical of the old Disney cartoons.

Anime evolved out of the first animation, which was American. (hence the whole "Which is superior, anime or American animation" arguement pisses me off. Neither is better. Just different styles. All animation is good. Except for the crap. But crap is made on both sides of the pond.)

So bascially, faces in anime look American because the first anime was copied from American stuff and the style stuck.

Play City of Heroes/Villians? Look me up, Pinnacle server, @C Paradox
PostThu Jul 08, 2004 7:15 pm
Zechs

Obsessor

Post subject:
Yeah it's mostly to make it more of an escape from reality. Most young adults and teenagers strive to be different. Kids all want to die their hair and crap just because the Japanese have much fewer differential qualities than westerners. Besides american animation tends to do the same thing. Few of us have bright orange red hair or three feet of white with streaks of black. I dont see that they use american faces exsclusively though. Maybe it's just the asian stereotype that we expect everyone to be short and have squinty eyes and no teeth.
PostFri Jul 09, 2004 7:50 am
Andromaton

Obsessor

Post subject:
the hair thing comes straight fom manga. where in a busy city street panel in manga would have a solid sea wall of black if they colored the hair traditionally so some smart guy decided that there were other colors hair could be. When color anime came around the animators pulled from manga just as they pulled from disney and other sources of inspiration.
PostFri Jul 09, 2004 2:09 pm
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rycel

Frequenter

Post subject:
Strange thing is, there doesn't seem to be any real difference between races in anime so far as character design goes. Europeans, North Americans, and West Asians seem to have the same line pattern, just different shades of skin. Take Kaolla Su from Love Hina for example: give her pale skin and take away her dharma mark and what does she look like. Unless someone is consciously trying to make the distinction of race (e.g. giving the Chinese narrow eyes or Africans thick lips), anime characters more or less all come out the same. Whereas in western animation the racial differences are much more pronounced and almost a given. We just have a tendency to include all the little nuances identifying race into our drawing (large noses, eye shape, hair styles, etc.) that you wouldn't even know existed in anime. I wonder why is?
PostTue Jul 13, 2004 4:39 am
Andromaton

Obsessor

Post subject:
anime is "cheap", more generic the better, easier to be better with there is really only variations on one style. Very few anime's break from the traditional japanese style, oh sure one character designer might put there own spin on noses but almost never is there anything radically different.

American animation though prides itself on it's character designs and differences in style from each other. One thing I like(d) about Disney was the fact that when they started a feature they chose an artist whos style would accomodate the story. ex. Mignola - Atlantis, Herchfeld(sp?) - Rhapsedy in Blue. Does Justice League look like Teen Titans? How about TMNT like The Simpsons? No. The just about the only series in america that look alike are the ones who are designed by the same person. ex. Matt Groening and Bruce Timm.
PostTue Jul 13, 2004 7:34 pm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Semi Anime-Related Babble All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: