нет

Results
Polls

Votes: 764
Comments: 7

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Toonami Infolink: Forums

Toonami Infolink :: View topic - Manga Permiation
Toonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerLToonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerL
:: Home :: Forum FAQ :: Search :: TDA Chat Room :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
Manga Permiation
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Animation Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
counterparadox

Obsessor

Post subject: Manga Permiation
I hvae two topics to discuss here.

First, while wandering about the mall yesterday for quite some time, I noticed MULTIPLE stores with Manga displays. Like, stores are now pimping the fact that they are selling manga. It's to the point where it's getting more popular than American comics. That's both good (anime is becomming mainstream and is no longer something to be laughed at about, but instead just an intrest like watching sports or movies of liking rock music) and bad (bigger than American comics? Not good. Equal would be good. Both popular would be good. More popular? Not good.)

Secondly, I was able to borrow the first 2 volumes of the Hellsing Manga. Read through them straight. They were quite thoroughly awesome and I need more to live. But there is no more in english and that makes me pissed.

Play City of Heroes/Villians? Look me up, Pinnacle server, @C Paradox
PostSun May 23, 2004 6:52 pm
John_Bono_Smithy_Satchmo

Obsessor

Post subject:
I've been noticing the same thing. For about the last year and a half, every book sotre I've been in has at least had a token Manga section (often several shelves, well stocked, and up to date).
PostSun May 23, 2004 8:22 pm
counterparadox

Obsessor

Post subject:
I was at a Walden Books that had, literally, two whole bookcases of Manga, ond only a few Spiderman graphic novels and nothing else American. I wanted Watchmen, damnit, and had to go elsewhere!

PostSun May 23, 2004 9:15 pm
Zechs

Obsessor

Post subject:
Me and some friends were talking about this. Anime is going through a post-punk phase where the underground is slowly coming into the mainstream. Having anime more available and cheaper is good, yet at the same time they lower prices they seem to cheapen the appeal. Any anime you got a hold of in the old days was like a treasured gem and searching was half the fun. Now you're starting to see stores like Wal-Mart stocking Kenshin and Macross boxsets. I can walk in school with anime related clothing and actually have people know where it comes from and be an even bigger fan than I am. The former "cult feeling" is dwindling and that makes me sad.

As for the american comics issue I cant comment, because outside of a few issues of DC series I purchased many years ago and Jhonen Vasquez stuff I'm not a huge fan. I hope that the good qualities of both styles eventually fuse and become a whole new breed of art and storytelling.
PostSun May 23, 2004 9:56 pm
WhtHawk

Obsessor

Post subject:
I never got into comic books. Until Tokyo Mew Mew, I haddn't even finished a manga series. Granted, that's because they havn't finished publication. In any case I was at the point I'd call my-self an anime fan for better than a year before I even purchased my first manga. Then it was only because it came with a DVD in a gift box. It took me several more months to take it off the shelf and actually read it. I do think that some anime's are losing their appeal since everyone knows what it is, but I think that being ahead of the curve is what seperates an anime geek or otaku, from your run of the mill fan.
PostSun May 23, 2004 10:10 pm
Goldfinger2K

Obsessor

Post subject:
I was reading Naruto Manga the other day, and my moron friend jsut kept thinking it was Hentai cause that's all he knows of in Japanese animation. So I think the "cult feeling" is still good for a while at least, as long as little middleschoolers think they're anime fans cause they saw a couple of episodes of Cowboy Bebop on adult swin before their bed time.
peace
"Toonami, better than getting kicked in the nuts!"-me
"If I was so inclined, I would have groped you five times!"^O^hohohohoho!-Vash
PostSun May 23, 2004 11:37 pm
counterparadox

Obsessor

Post subject:
By the by, this is topic number 1500 on this board. Just thought that might interest a few people.

PostMon May 24, 2004 6:11 pm
JJc14

Obsessor

Post subject:
counterparadox wrote:
By the by, this is topic number 1500 on this board. Just thought that might interest a few people.

well in that case...

i'll admit, i have noticed a surge in stores carrying manga over the last six months or so, but i never really cared for comics before or now...i suppose the exposure is a good thing, but i'm rather indifferent about it either way...
PostMon May 24, 2004 6:15 pm
Chibi_Zero

Obsessor

Post subject:
For me that "cult" feeling is there because I tend to read/watch alot of it before it makes it to the US. So until more people start downloading anime/manga around here that cult feeling will be there for me I guess.
PostTue May 25, 2004 12:20 pm
Andromaton

Obsessor

Post subject:
The whole thing reeks of what comics went through between 1990 and 1995. Wide spread acceptance and exposure and then BAM! they get dropped like a rock.

Either stores will stop carrying manga or the ammount they carrry will decrease drasticly, just you wait.
PostTue May 25, 2004 1:38 pm
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nobuyuki

Obsessor

Post subject:
Andromaton wrote:
The whole thing reeks of what comics went through between 1990 and 1995. Wide spread acceptance and exposure and then BAM! they get dropped like a rock.

Either stores will stop carrying manga or the ammount they carrry will decrease drasticly, just you wait.

Yes, that happens every few years.
One characteristic in manga's favor is that it's marketed primarily to people who wouldn't ordinarily buy comic books. So the "market oversaturation" factor will take a little longer to develop, although ADV's and Tokyopop's plans to pump out about 400-500 books annually (between the two companies) isn't helping matters. Razz
One benefit of the impending implosion is that most of the super-extra-crappy manga titles will die off quickly due to readers' tastes and lack of shelf space. Unfortunately, this will also kill off the smaller publishers (i.e. Ironcat) and more specialized titles (i.e. Firefighter Daigo of M Company) that can't bear the pressure of a collapsing market.

IMHO, of course. Wink
PostTue May 25, 2004 5:56 pm
Zechs

Obsessor

Post subject:
Two things. Everyone's noticed the Tokyopop commercials by now and I think that's major proof of the market growth. Second I noticed that my library now stocks Manga and Graphic novels, which is sweet because I'll be volenteering there all summer.
PostTue May 25, 2004 6:35 pm
Andromaton

Obsessor

Post subject:
PErsonally I find the Tokyopop commercials to be proof towards what I said. They really are badly done to boot.
PostWed May 26, 2004 9:05 am
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Chibi_Zero

Obsessor

Post subject:
Yeah, those commercials really are kinda bad.
And I agree with Nob. While I don't think this manga craze will ever go away completely. It will just die down, and a few of the smaller companies with it. I can't see TP and ADV manga just going away.
PostWed May 26, 2004 12:34 pm
Andromaton

Obsessor

Post subject:
I didn't say that they will die away completely, I just said they'd follow the path comics took in the early 90's. They're still around today aren't they?
PostWed May 26, 2004 3:41 pm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Animation Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: