нет

Results
Polls

Votes: 764
Comments: 7

Login

Nickname

Password

Don't have an account yet? You can create one. As a registered user you have some advantages like theme manager, comments configuration and post comments with your name.

Toonami Infolink: Forums

Toonami Infolink :: View topic - Animation News
Toonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerLToonami Turner Cartoon Network Thundercats Voltron Space Ghost Birdman Herculoids Dino Boy Galaxy Trio Mighty Mightor Moby Dick Shazzan The Impossibles Max Fleisher's Superman (a.k.a. Roulette) The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest Robotech Sailor Moon DragonBall Z Filmation Superman Batman Superfriends ReBoot Ronin Warriors G-Force Powerpuff Girls Batman: The Animated Series Gundam Wing Tenchi Muyo! Universe in Tokyo Superman Outlaw Star Big O CardCaptors Mobile Suit Gundam O8th MS Team DragonBall Batman Beyond Gundam 0080 Zoids: Zero Hamtaro Zoids: Chaotic Century Guardian Force G Gundam He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Transformers: Armada G.I. Joe .hack//Sign Yu Yu Hakusho Rurouni Kenshin QuickTime .mov MOV AVI .avi MPEG .mpg Movies movie Videos Clips Sounds articles rants essays images files CNX inner circle cn2 revolution Japan japanese multimedia saban funimation toei graz harmony gold mainframe Tyler Zogg TylerL
:: Home :: Forum FAQ :: Search :: TDA Chat Room :: Register :: Profile :: Log in to check your private messages :: Log in ::
Animation News
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 19, 20, 21  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Animation Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnnyPsycho

Veteran

Post subject:
wow, only two posts in this whole thread? how embarrassing... looks like i'll have to work harder...

speaking of which, this one slipped past me, but as my job as the Grim Reaper of the board, i thought I'd post this...

Quote:
Penny Singleton, the voice of Jane Jetson and the actress who brought the popular comic strip character Blondie to life in films, died Nov. 12, 2003 at Sherman Oaks Hospital, two weeks after suffering a stroke, at the age of 95.

Singleton was best known on camera for her role as the wife to bumbling husband, Dagwood Bumstead (played by Arthur Lake) in THE BLONDIE series, which had 28 films from 1938 to 1950. The films were based on the cartoon strip, created by Chic Young in 1930, about the misadventures of a small town family.

The animation world loved Singleton as the voice of the matron, Jane Jetson in Hanna-Barbera’s primetime animated series, THE JETSONS. While the show only ran for one season (1962-63) in primetime, it repeated for years in daytime and syndication, and the series was revived in its 25th year, featuring the original voices. Singleton provided the voice of Jane in the full-length animated feature, JETSONS THE MOVIE, released by Universal Pictures in 1990.

While the series was the 21st century counterpart to THE FLINTSTONES, show co-creator Joe Barbera often admitted the show and casting of Singleton was influenced by the BLONDIE films.

Singleton remained close for years to Janet Waldo, the voice of her animated daughter, Judy Jetson. The two lived nearby, called each other often and got together frequently for lunch. Waldo, msomewhat shocked to realize she is now the only surviving original Jetson cast member, told AWN, “She was one of the most alive people I’ve met in my life. She was always excited about life, eager to do any new opportunity and filled with joy. My most recent memories I have of her are of this joyful, twinkly eyed, darling person who would always say, OK Janet now, what are we going to do next! We gotta do something together.’ She was always excited about the future,” according to Waldo.

She recalled many thoughtful gestures and things Singleton would do. She always went out of her way for her friends. “She was a darling, caring, loving person and it was a privilege to have know her as well as I did,” said Waldo. “I considered her one of my very best friends.”

Waldo said Singleton kept meaning to write her memoirs, refused to let anyone else do it for her and would not agree to be interviewed.

Singleton was born in 1908 in Philadelphia, the daughter of a newspaperman. She won an amateur contest at an early age and toured in vaudeville by her early teens.

She debuted on Broadway in the late '20s and soon in films, under her real name, Dorothy McNulty. She changed her name to Singleton after marrying dentist Lawrence Singleton in 1937.

She was active in the American Guild of Variety Artists, the union representing touring performers, chorus girls and other entertainers. A union vp in the 1960s, she helped lead a strike by the Radio City Music Hall Rockettes.

Singleton is survived by two daughters, two grandchildren and a great-grandson.

"I plan to live forever. So far so good." -Steven Wright
PostTue Nov 18, 2003 3:10 am
Andromaton

Obsessor

Post subject:
I'm suprised I let that one slip past me. Think of it this way JP your 2 posts (now 3) is 3 more than most people on this board including the regulars.
PostTue Nov 18, 2003 3:17 am
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JohnnyPsycho

Veteran

Post subject:
actually, I'm just as surprised that I didn't find out about it until now... I've got a very dark sense of humor and a morbid curiosity, so usually I'm the first one to find these sort of things and jump all over them...

hey, check it out, I just double my post count in here... Razz

PostTue Nov 18, 2003 3:25 am
Fodder

Obsessor

Post subject:
Im reading that and just thrown back. I didnt know that first she was that old. And second that all the other voices on the series have since died?!

Which leads to the question how many from the flinstones have survived?
PostTue Nov 18, 2003 8:26 am
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Nobuyuki

Obsessor

Post subject:
Not so much news, more of a commemoration... Very Happy

Quote:
Tuesday, Nov. 18, 2003
Disney Icon Mickey Mouse Turns 75

ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) - Mickey Mouse arrived on the world's cultural stage 75 years ago Tuesday as a scrawny but buoyant black-and-white product of the Jazz Age.

He was a symbol of American pluck in his screen debut, ``Steamboat Willie,'' on Nov. 18, 1928. The film at New York's Colony Theatre showed an irreverent rodent who takes Captain Pete's steamboat on a joyride and woos Minnie Mouse by making music on the bodies of various farm animals.

The years have dulled Mickey's personality, a result of him becoming the corporate face of a multibillion-dollar entertainment empire. In the process, Mickey also has become a cultural Rorschach test - a symbol of American optimism, resourcefulness and energy or an icon of cultural commodification and corporate imperialism.

``There are a number of qualities Mickey represents on which people like to stick their particular view of the world,'' said Janet Wasko, a University of Oregon professor and author of ``Understanding Disney: The Manufacture of Fantasy.''

For Roy E. Disney, whose uncle, Walt Disney, created the character, Mickey Mouse is ``'this friendly little guy,' which were Walt's words for describing him.''

For Penn State professor Henry Giroux, however, Mickey Mouse represents the vast reach of American cultural power, symbolizing a company that has turned childhood into a function of consumerism as children feel obligated to purchase the latest ``Finding Nemo'' DVD or Mickey Mouse watch.

``Mickey Mouse offers up a ... symbol of innocence while hiding the role it plays in commodifying children's dreams and extending the logic of the market into all aspects of their lives,'' said Giroux, author of ``The Mouse That Roared: Disney and the End of Innocence,'' a cultural critique of the company.

Mickey wasn't always so complex.

Walt Disney started his animation career in Kansas City, Mo., producing films that were a combination of cartoon and live action and starring an inquisitive little girl named Alice. Hoping for greater success, he moved to Los Angeles in 1923, joining his brother, Roy. Once the creative possibilities with the Alice series were exhausted, Disney started producing films for a new animated character, Oswald the Lucky Rabbit, in 1927.

Mickey Mouse was conceived the next year during a cross-country train ride, according to the ``official'' company history. Walt Disney had just been forced to give up the Oswald rights to his ruthless New York distributor, who had exercised copyright control over the character.

On the ride back home to Los Angeles, Disney conjured up a little mouse named Mortimer. His wife, Lillian, thought the name too pompous and suggested Mickey.

But others have argued that Mickey's creation was more likely a collaboration between Disney and his chief animator, Ub Iwerks, with Disney taking the credit. Mickey Mouse was first drawn by Iwerks' hand.

Disney and Iwerks initially produced two silent cartoons for Mickey Mouse, ``Plane Crazy'' and ``The Gallopin' Gaucho.'' But in the wake of the success of the nation's first ``talkie,'' Al Jolson's ``The Jazz Singer'' in 1927, Disney decided to produce a cartoon that would be synchronized to songs, music and sound effects.

``Steamboat Willie'' was an instant hit, arriving at a time when technological advances in motion pictures, radio and the phonograph were transforming mass culture. By the end of the 1930s, Mickey had starred in more than 100 cartoons.

Mickey gradually transformed both physically and spiritually. His face was rounded out and his eyes went from black ovals to white eyes with pupils in the late 1930s. His face became friendlier, less rat-like.

``Round things seem to be less belligerent than the angles,'' said John Hench, a 95-year-old animator who has been with the Disney company since 1939.

Mickey Mouse became the face that launched a thousand merchandise products. Watches. Pencils. Bedsheets. Alarm clocks. Telephones. He is one of the most merchandised faces ever - about $4.5 billion a year in sales - even though he's currently second to Winnie the Pooh for the Disney company.

Mickey's personality became less edgy, duller and less subversive. Toward the end of the 1930s and the start of the 1940s, Disney animators found it harder to create story lines around Mickey as the character become the face of the company.

``Donald (Duck) became easier to write stories around because his personality was more varied. Often in that period, they would start a cartoon with Mickey and it wouldn't work and someone would say 'Use Donald,''' said David Smith, archives director for the Walt Disney Co. ``You didn't want to do naughty things with your corporate logo. He suddenly became sacrosanct.''

Mickey's popularity may have waned in the 1940s, but he gained new life in the 1950s with the airing of TV's ``Mickey Mouse Club'' and the opening of Disneyland in Anaheim, Calif.

``Mickey got a double shot of invigoration,'' said Marty Sklar, vice chairman and principal creative executive at Walt Disney Imagineering. ``The characters live in our park. Mickey is the king of our characters.''

In the succeeding decades, Mickey has been used in less than a dozen theatrical releases, but is a regular presence on television in ``House of the Mouse'' on the Disney Channel and is photographed daily alongside thousands of tourists at theme parks in California, Florida, France and Japan.

``Mickey Mouse speaks an international language,'' Sklar said. ``When I go to Tokyo and see how kids react to Mickey Mouse the same way they do in Paris. It's reassuring that there are some things that cross international boundaries.''

For others, Mickey Mouse speaks an international language of commerce and cultural imperialism. That sentiment is embodied in protesters in Buenos Aires who left behind anti-war graffiti last February that depicted President Bush as Mickey Mouse. It's also found in the performance artist Reverend Bill of the Church of Stop Shopping, who visits Disney Stores in New York and tells shoppers ``Mickey Mouse is the Antichrist.''

All from a simple cartoon. Said author Wasko: ``Mickey represents a fascinating interweaving of culture, politics and economics.''

No Mickey -> No Tezuka -> No Astro Boy -> No anime as you know it.
PostTue Nov 18, 2003 8:27 am
Andromaton

Obsessor

Post subject:
Nobuyuki wrote:
No Mickey -> No Tezuka -> No Astro Boy -> No anime as you know it.

Yet Anime fans (majority of them) still rabidly hate Disney. Well, you know what I say--- Anime fans are not animation fans.

I so want to be able to go to Disneyland in 25 years when Mickey turns 100 just so I can make a voyage to Disneyland for the momentous occasion.
PostTue Nov 18, 2003 12:44 pm
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Beatdiggga

Obsessor

Post subject:
I can appreciate Disney. If not for them, we wouldn't have things like Disneyland, Kingdom Hearts, and of course, anime. You also want to thank director Fritz Lang for infulencing Tezuka's style. (The Metropolis manga was a homage, not a remake of the Lang story)
PostTue Nov 18, 2003 3:18 pm
Nobuyuki

Obsessor

Post subject:
I'm not saying Disney's above criticism, but to hate them irrationally is just wrong (as it is for anything). Cool

Fodder wrote:
Which leads to the question how many from the flinstones have survived?

Of the main cast? I don't think any of them are still alive.
Now some notable drop-in voices (Harvey Korman, Howard Morris, June Foray and Janet Waldo) are still around, as are stars like Ann-Margret.
http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet/CastGuide/showid-3642/
PostTue Nov 18, 2003 5:15 pm
Fodder

Obsessor

Post subject:
Wait Betty Rubble and Looney Toons Granny were done by the same voice actress? I bow before her talents. I never put the two together. But going through the list Nobu I think your right.
PostTue Nov 18, 2003 5:51 pm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Nobuyuki

Obsessor

Post subject:
Fodder wrote:
Wait Betty Rubble and Looney Toons Granny were done by the same voice actress? I bow before her talents. I never put the two together.

Bea started the role, but June Foray took over a few years later and has continued the role to this day (Baby Looney Tunes).
PostTue Nov 18, 2003 6:05 pm
Andromaton

Obsessor

Post subject:
Cartoon Network will rebroadcast the first ten episodes of Star Wars: Clone Wars this Friday night, November 21, the network said today. The first five episodes will air between 7:30pm and 8:00pm (ET), to be followed by the animated feature Pokemon III. Episodes 6 through 10 will air between 9:30pm and 10:00pm (ET).

The second batch of ten episodes will air in the spring of 2004.

Separately, Cartoon Network says Clone Wars has boosted its ratings across all target demographics. During the first full week of the microseries, Cartoon Network saw its delivery and ratings increase by double digits, especially among tweens 9 – 14, among whom ratings shot up 77%. Pokemon: The Movie 2000, which was broadcast the same night as the microseries debuted, was rated number one in its time period on basic cable with boys 6 – 11.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

he first-ever Powerpuff Girls Christmas special titled '"Twas the Fight Before Christmas" will air on Cartoon Network on Friday, December 12 at 9 PM (ET, PT). In the special, the Powerpuff Girls' mission is to thwart an evil plan to put all the children of the world on Santa's naughty list and spare them from receiving coal. '"Twas the Fight Before Christmas" was also released direct-to-video on October 7 by Warner Home Video, with a suggested retail price of $19.98 for DVD and $9.94 for VHS.
PostTue Nov 18, 2003 8:48 pm
Andromaton

Obsessor

Post subject:
Twentieth Century Fox may resume production on Family Guy, USA Today reports. The studio has been taken by surprise by the strong syndication ratings and DVD sales the cancelled series has generated, and the studio expects to soon reach a decision on whether to revive the show.
PostWed Nov 19, 2003 3:08 pm
Beatdiggga

Obsessor

Post subject:
Now that's good news.
PostWed Nov 19, 2003 3:38 pm
Nobuyuki

Obsessor

Post subject:
On Saturday, November 29th Kids'WB! will be airing a "Turkey Surprise Day." The event, running from 8am until noon, will be hosted by the characters from Kids'WB! show Teen Titans and will feature a preview of the new Astro Boy TV series, airing on Kids'WB! in 2004, as well as a "sneak peak" at the new season of MegaMan: NT Warrior.
PostWed Nov 19, 2003 6:29 pm
JohnnyPsycho

Veteran

Post subject:
holy shit, that's right! I forgot all about the new Astro Boy... in fact, I think I was one of the first people to announce it, somewhere in the board... how embarassing... Embarassed

Quote:
FINDING NEMO (Disney/Pixar) fittingly leads the pack of 11 eligible Oscar contenders for Best Animated Feature announced by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences on Nov. 19, 2003. The entries include three other Disney films (BROTHER BEAR, THE JUNGLE BOOK 2 and PIGLET'S BIG MOVIE) along with JESTER TILL (TILL EULENSPIEGEL a 2D/3D hybrid, Solo Film), LOONEY TUNES: BACK IN ACTION (Warner Bros.), MILLENNIUM ACTRESS (DreamWorks' Go Fish specialty division), POKEMON HEROES (Miramax), RUGRATS GO WILD! (Paramount), TOKYO GODFATHERS (inspired by John Ford's classic THREE GODFATHERS, Goldwyn Films) and THE TRIPLETS OF BELLEVILLE (Sony Classics).

Conspicuously missing is DreamWorks' SINBAD: LEGEND OF THE SEVEN SEAS, which performed poorly at the box office despite some critical praise and signaled the end of traditional animation at the studio. "Based on the critical response the film received in the marketplace, we decided not to pursue an academy campaign," explained DreamWorks animation head Ann Daly.

Also missing was the critically acclaimed COWBOY BEBOP: THE MOVIE. On the other hand, while there was some concern that LOONEY TUNES: BACK IN ACTION might not qualify because of its live action presence, it obviously contained enough animation (both 2D and 3D) to make the initial cut.

Which films will be nominated alongside NEMO -- the sure-bet to win based on its enormous popularity and record-breaking box office (nearly $340 million in North America)? The smart money so far is on TRIPLETS and MILLENNIUM, based on their artistic merit and critical buzz.

Films submitted in the Best Animated Feature category also may qualify for Academy Awards in other areas, including Best Picture, provided they meet the rules criteria governing those categories.

The eligibility of three of the films, "JESTER TILL, TOKYO GODFATHERS and TRIPLETS is subject to their opening in Los Angeles prior to December 31. TRIPLETS is scheduled to open Nov. 21 and JESTER TILL and TOKYO GODFATHERS (the latest from MILLENNIUM ACTRESS director Satoshi Kon) on Dec. 5. TOKYO GODFATHERS will open commercially on Jan. 16, 2004.

The 76th Academy Award nominations will be announced at the Academy's Samuel Goldwyn Theater on Tuesday, Jan. 27, 2004. The Academy Awards ceremony will take place on Feb. 29.

how shitty is that? Cowboy Bebop, being snubbed by the Oscars?

but here's some (possibly) good news for you gamers out there...

Quote:
g-NET Media LLC has announced the establishment of g-NET Publishing in order to produce and market videogame-related home-video products. g-NET Publishing's first product will be iGuides, the world's first line of officially licensed DVD videogames strategy guides. g-NET has teamed with FUNimation Productions Ltd. as the exclusive distributor for its iGuide product in the U.S. and all English-speaking territories.

"Most gamers have no idea just how much enjoyment can be unlocked from today's games. iGuides will shock game fans around the world by revealing all that games have to offer," said g-NET ceo David Getson. "And FUNimation's reach and reputation ensure that iGuides will be available in every relevant retail outlet where videogames and home entertainment are sold."

g-NET's "all access" iGuides will include:
* video-based instruction on controls and gameplay
* video-based character, enemy, weapons, items and maps galleries
* video-based walkthroughs
* Web-based updates and content
* print and search functionality
* exclusive animated/video Bonus Content

g-NET is a leader in videogame-related entertainment. Projects include producing the first-ever Videogame Awards Show for Spike TV and developing and producing the original video programming for AOL Games, including the popular FIRST TIP and PLAYERS CLUB franchises. For additional information, visit www.g-net.tv.

FUNimation Prods. Ltd. is a full-service brand management company with in-house production, licensing, Internet, marketing and home video sales and distribution divisions. The company manages brands such as DRAGON BALL Z and DRAGON BALL. For more information, visit www.funimation.com.

PostThu Nov 20, 2003 4:00 am
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Toonami Infolink Forum Index -> Animation Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 14 of 21

Jump to: